Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Czisny preparing for one last run at Olympic glory

Robeye

Final Flight
Can't say this was unexpected.

Is this the end of her competitive career? She doesn't definitively say it, but the last sentence seems to hint at it.

spikydurian

Medalist
I agree, and actually trying to do it has to be better than just quitting and always wondering "what if I had tried for 2014" - at least if she tries, she'll know rather than having to live with the regret of never knowing for sure if it was possible or not.

I think so too. Nothing wrong in trying despite knowing that one may not be able to beat the top two. The reality is if all competitors will only compete if they can and will medal, there will be no competitors. There are some competitors I enjoy watching but I also know they are unlikely to medal big. It doesn't matter. Different strengths make figure skating interesting.:) Alissa is a beautiful girl and skater. All skaters have to bow out some day. Figure skating, unfortunately, is a demanding sport especially for singles. I assume, most of them, at some time of their lives will need an operation.

Wishing Alissa will continue show skating.

Pepe Nero

On the Ice
I know any points I may make here are now moot, but being the sort of person I am, I can't resist the temptation of the debate.

Gkelly's post (#333) is really thoughtful. Hard for me to contemplate the effort that would have gone into such a well-considered post. Gkelly generally makes fools of the rest of us. In response, noskates says:

Well.....I don't agree with you.

Nice. That is a persuasive argument. Noskates, you can do better than that.

I long for the optimism I had about Czisny's prospects a week ago. What a world of dreams it was! Ha.

I'm mainly posting this here because I didn't want to spoil the goodwill being expressed on the newest thread about Czisny, in light of her withdrawal from Sectionals, by starting a debate. That thread needs to be hater-free.

All this got me thinking, though: I'm glad Czisny competed at 2012 Worlds. I've thought a lot about it since, often thinking I'd wished she'd withdrawn after that Challenge Cup event in which she struggled prior to Worlds, even if she didn't yet know the cause of her struggle. "Couldn't she see the trend?", I thought.

Now, I am glad -- is this perverse? -- that she competed. She went out (internationally) with a bang, so to speak. Not a good bang, but nevertheless. She won't fade into obscurity, like so many other American women before her, who disappeared mid-season.

And really, after her SP at Worlds that year, the fact that she even qualified for the FS is a testament to the excellence of her other skating qualities. And then, after disaster, she still did not place last in the FS. And she kept going. Most skaters would have skated over to the judges in the middle and asked to withdraw.

I actually re-watch that skate sometimes for its beauty, tragedy, and brilliance as performance art, even if it is not technically good, jump-wise. She should have gotten 10s across the board for her Interpretation of Valse Triste.

(And please no one say that Czisny should have withdrawn so the US would have a shot at 3 spots the next year at Worlds. As if Zawadzki would have placed high enough...)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Yep. She completely let 2006 and 2010 slip through her fingers. Try once more, she's not even competitive, but miracles can happen,, right?

Yep miracles can happen but not this time. Next up Evan. Will there be a Christmas miracle for our favourite Vera Wang dressed George Hamilton (tan) skater?