Jason Brown | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason was fun to watch at late-night. My favorite part was him saying "I've seen this set on TV! And now I'm here and it's real!" HAHA.

I think he's still processing the entire year. He is thrilled to be in the top 10 as, he pointed out, it's just the beginning. I found it interesting when they asked him if he thought about the possibility, he said "of course, you know anything is possible." But that ultimately he just wanted to go out there and perform.

Also this photo: http://ohtheseskaters.tumblr.com/post/76609748295 :love:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh Mrs P, that photo is so cute!!!!!!!!!!

Heh, it looks like a few of those 4million views came from someone extremely well-known...

Plushenko became a huge fan of Brown after being shown an online video of the youngster performing at the U.S. Championships in Boston last month. He wasn't alone, either. Brown's "Riverdance" performance in the long program generated more than 3.9 million views online.

"It is a really cool relationship," Brown said. "I respect him so much and to know that he respects me and what I do is huge as well.

"[Plushenko] has been so nice to me and so supportive over the past week. When we had team practice he came up to me and said, 'I am such a huge fan of yours.' I was like, 'What? No, no, no, no, like I am such a huge fan of yours.' And I was like, 'You're amazing' and he's like, 'No, you're amazing' – and you know like right off the bat I was so relaxed.

"He is such an incredible person and that meant so much to me and that support instantly made me feel calm from the second I stepped on the ice."

From here.

oneofusoneofusoneofus

What a lovely encounter between Plushy and Jason, and how gracious of Plushy.

I think Jason's program was lovely, but you can see that he still has potential to refine his movements and add flow, so that he will be even better. I think he's still lacking a certain crispness. At nineteen, he has so much to look forward to!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Olympia, would you say the same about his SP? The FS is a marathon of a skate, with no resting spots to speak of, requiring great quickness of foot and amazing lightness. I would be interested to see how many other skaters could do it..I think Hanyu could, if he had the stamina, and Diasuke, but Abbott could not, for example.

It is easier to have nicely finished movements when skating to elegies and dirges, and other slow music, which is what so many of the other skaters seem to be using. Question of U is more comparable to the sort of music the other guys are using. This droning stuff is one reason that singles skating has become more boring to me to watch. The ladies with endless tinkly piano numbers, the men with dark, heavy pieces. There are of course brighter spots, but the requirement for deep edges to get credit in steps leads to these sorts of music choice, I think.

Last edited:

babyskate

On the Ice
Olympia, would you say the same about his SP? The FS is a marathon of a skate, with no resting spots to speak of, requiring huge quickness of foot and lightness required. I would be interested to see how many other skaters could do it..I think Hanyu could, if he had the stamina, but Abbott could not, for example.

It is easier to have nicely finished movements when skating to elegies and dirges, and other slow music, which is what so many of the other skaters seem to be using. Question of U is more comparable to the sort of music the other guys are using. This droning stuff is one reason that singles skating has become more boring to me to watch. The ladies with endless tinkly piano numbers, the men with dark, heavy pieces. There are of course brighter spots, but the requirement for deep edges to get credit in steps leads to these sorts of music choice, I think.

Thank you Doris. I completely agree.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
Not to mention that his Nationals Short program is up to a respectable 90,000 views. I agree about his potential. However, after last night I really hope he gets to go Worlds. The long program is the best choice of music(I believe) and I hope that he gets another chance before next season.

KKonas

Medalist
Sue Barker was saying that in the rule books it says something about "intention". Even she was laughing about the rule. Sounds exactly like mind-reading to me.

I used to do the "jump sheets" for TV and ISU (now called the program sheets), so I know the tech panel/judges are aware of what the skater "intends" to do in the program, so if it looks like a set up for a particular jump not completed, perhaps that's the way the tech panel is judging it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I used to do the "jump sheets" for TV and ISU (now called the program sheets), so I know the tech panel/judges are aware of what the skater "intends" to do in the program, so if it looks like a set up for a particular jump not completed, perhaps that's the way the tech panel is judging it.

Yes, it was pretty obvious that Jason meant to do something there....had he just tripped or something then done the element...he probably wouldn't have been penalized.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I have to say that Jason's perpetual smile and positive, upbeat attitude have been so nice through these Olympics. I am glad he is going to stick around, as he develops I'm sure we will see some great things from him.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Apologies if this was posted already, but I didn't see it in the past few days of posts. Jason's younger brother Dylan wrote a lovely article about growing up with him and his recent success.

http://thrivesports.com/2014/02/12/dylan-brown-big-brother-always-inspired-now-inspires-others/

Thx for posting the link in this thread, apgold. :)
(LOL, I had posted it earlier in this thread, but then moved it to Jason's Fan Fest thread, where I hoped it would be less likely to get overlooked.)

Anyway, for those who haven't read it, Dylan's tribute is lovely indeed. And it includes some good details from the "inside" perspective of being Jason's brother.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I thought of Jason when I went on my long run (which I survived despite being ill the last few days). It started snowing toward the second half and my glasses were getting fogged up so I had to take them off. I'm nearsighted like Jason is, but I can see OK without the glasses (things are kind of blurry).

But running seems sort of straight forward, I still can't imagine how you skate and jump without them. :p

(Babyskate, I got more dark chocolate peanut butter cups. They were on sale too! WIN).

mintx

On the Ice
Does anyone have a link to his interview from MSNBC this morning?

NBC seems to like him. He was on late night last night, Today this morning ( with Jeremy) and MSNBC after that.

With all of this media attention will Jason get any corporate sponsorships? I hope he gets one or two good ones to help support his training. He deserves it. Kori has been sponsored by a natural snack company.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does anyone have a link to his interview from MSNBC this morning?

NBC seems to like him. He was on late night last night, Today this morning ( with Jeremy) and MSNBC after that.

With all of this media attention will Jason get any corporate sponsorships? I hope he gets one or two good ones to help support his training. He deserves it. Kori has been sponsored by a natural snack company.

Here you go: http://www.msnbc.com/weekends-alex-witt/watch/us-figure-skater-soaks-up-every-moment-154083907793

ETA: Also here's a link to Jason's interview with Meredith Vieiera: http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/jason-brown-anything-possible

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/jason-...jury-100208614.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

Jason Brown 'heartbroken' over Evgeni Plushenko's injury

I like this part:

Plushenko became a huge fan of Brown after being shown an online video of the youngster performing at the U.S. Championships in Boston last month. He wasn't alone, either. Brown's "Riverdance" performance in the long program generated more than 3.9 million views online.

"It is a really cool relationship," Brown said. "I respect him so much and to know that he respects me and what I do is huge as well.

"[Plushenko] has been so nice to me and so supportive over the past week. When we had team practice he came up to me and said, 'I am such a huge fan of yours.' I was like, 'What? No, no, no, no, like I am such a huge fan of yours.' And I was like, 'You're amazing' and he's like, 'No, you're amazing' – and you know like right off the bat I was so relaxed.

"He is such an incredible person and that meant so much to me and that support instantly made me feel calm from the second I stepped on the ice."