Jason Brown | Page 713 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At first when I saw the “not all his tech” because of the concussion, I was fretful, :drama:

But then I thought, if all that means is he’s not trying the quad, good:thumbsup:

:devil:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
So Jackie Wong just did his predictions and is placing Jason fourth - so glad he’s not jinxing him with predictions of silver! :)

https://www.rockerskating.com/news/2019/10/15/2019-skate-america-preview-men-chen-leads-the-way

Here’s part of what he says about Jason:

On his way to Champs Camp over the summer, he was in a car accident that gave him a concussion that he has been dealing with since and had to pull out of Nebelhorn Trophy during the recovery. He’s not planning on putting out 100% of his technical content this week.​

I guess we’ll know more tomorrow after the interview goes up, but I’m really hoping that what he’s still dealing with is more in the nature of having to play catch up rather than ongoing symptoms.:pray:

ETA practice groups (for practices prior to SP draw) are up. All the US guys are skating in group 2. Jason skates 4/6, with Nathan and Alexei following.

http://www.isuresults.com/schedules/gpusa2019_PracticeGroupsAndMusicRotation.pdf

Without knowing what Jason's readiness is (and that comment of not 100% can be interpreted as not attempting a quad at this comp, which I think is sensible) I think 4th or 3rd could be possible. I would like to see a clean, confident skate without worrying about technical fire power at this point. If both Jason and Nathan could make podium, that would be great. As for Aliev, we'll see. This is a fairly unpredictable SA, I think. I would hesitate to predict anything. I would like Jason on the podium. And I think it's possible. But I wouldn't go so far as to predict it.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jordan said in IG live that he didn’t speed up the stsq. He said that was in real time.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Thanks and wow - it looks just blazing fast!

Wow! I thought that was a video effect. It IS blazing fast. And the foot work is beautiful. Clean edges and those splits! I am so sad that I can't be there, but trying to keep my schedule clear so that I don't miss anything that is streamed live.

Watch

Final Flight
Jordan said in IG live that he didn’t speed up the stsq. He said that was in real time.

Ok, wow! I was sure it was sped up a bit, because it looks so fast. That's some incredible speed Jason has there.

And I sincerely hope he's recovered enough to compete well. I assume there will be no quads this time and it's for the best.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I love everything I have seen of both Jason's programs :love:

But watching that SP step sequence, it makes me wish that he try ice dance :slink: he is so wonderful..

Tavi...

Record Breaker
A few snippets from interview: he loved choreo for last year’s FS but never connected with music. When they discussed his FS music for this season they were talking through choices that would stretch him but he put his foot down and suggested SL :) . He loves both of his new programs. He was really disappointed not to be able to show them at Champs Camp and to pull out of Nebelhorn. Injury occurred on way to Champs Camp and there was some concern about his neck. They did a concussion protocol but symptoms came back so they backtracked and took things very slow. He only started running programs two weeks ago. For awhile he was getting terrible headaches while spinning but he’s now symptom free and is very grateful. He’s putting out about 80% of planned content here, will do his best, and is looking to build on it going forward.

sallyhatchet

Rinkside
A few snippets from interview: he loved choreo for last year’s FS but never connected with music. When they discussed his FS music for this season they were talking through choices that would stretch him but he put his foot down and suggested SL :) . He loves both of his new programs. He was really disappointed not to be able to show them at Champs Camp and to pull out of Nebelhorn. Injury occurred on way to Champs Camp and there was some concern about his neck. They did a concussion protocol but symptoms came back so they backtracked and took things very slow. He only started running programs two weeks ago. For awhile he was getting terrible headaches while spinning but he’s now symptom free and is very grateful. He’s putting out about 80% of planned content here, will do his best, and is looking to build on it going forward.

Wow, so scary he went through that but I am glad he is on the mend. Glad to get official confirmation of what happened too. I can't wait to see him this weekend! Thanks for posting the snippet.

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
Listened to his interview. I am so happy to hear from Jason after such a long period of silence. So happy to hear he is symptom-free at this point.

Now I feel very conflicted about what was put out there in that TLS episode in early September. Doug said Jason "looked very comfortable," he had "no signs of struggle by any means," he "looked stunning on the ice" and all his jumps were spot on (he did have a disclaimer "I am not a doctor" and his observations were just him having been in skating for 100 years or something like that). But then having listened to Jason, how he couldn't do spins without having a headache - just makes me resent a little that Doug took the liberty to discuss what happened presumably without asking Jason about it. Sorry for bringing this up guys. Obviously not what we should be focused on a few days before Jason's debut.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Listened to his interview. I am so happy to hear from Jason after such a long period of silence. So happy to hear he is symptom-free at this point.

Now I feel very conflicted about what was put out there in that TLS episode in early September. Doug said Jason "looked very comfortable," he had "no signs of struggle by any means," he "looked stunning on the ice" and all his jumps were spot on (he did have a disclaimer "I am not a doctor" and his observations were just him having been in skating for 100 years or something like that). But then having listened to Jason, how he couldn't do spins without having a headache - just makes me resent a little that Doug took the liberty to discuss what happened presumably without asking Jason about it. Sorry for bringing this up guys. Obviously not what we should be focused on a few days before Jason's debut.

Not totally sure, but my impression from this interview was that Jason went through the concussion protocol and initially seemed to be okay, but that symptoms developed after he started back to full training. Doug mentioned seeing him jump and Jason specifically mentioned his spins as causing nausea and terrible headaches. So that could explain why Doug thought he looked great and symptom free. Whether it was out of line for Doug to mention it is another story and one that probably only Jason can answer.

In thinking about it, I’m wondering what changes they’ve made to his tech content and how his stamina is in FS. I’m sure no quads, but I wonder if there will be other changes - like a 2A not 3A in SP, less than level 4spins, etc. Guess we’ll see tomorrow.

Anyway, such a nice interview and so good to hear him / know he’s back and healthy.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Was it just me who was listening, or trying to listen to it on a non-Apple platform, his voice was terribly muffled and I often had hard time in making out his speech...?? :scratch:
Anyway feeling "somber" would be the most apt word that comes to mind about my feeling, after this interview. It was just beyond lovely hearing his usual cheerful voice, but oh dear, what he had to go through during these past two months... I didn't know he had to sit out Champs Camp, that explains no report of his skating came out from there. And to think that he couldn't even perform his signature spins without feeling sick... :sad21: I do have a feeling also the TSL report on the accident/injury sort of "accidentally leaked" without a consent from him or his team, which I feel bad for him.
It is good that he maintains a realistic goal for SA and the first part of the season, considering his condition. I just hope his progress continues steadily ahead, until he is certainly 100% - that must be the priority above anything else.
I just hope he will be able to deliver a clean program which he can be happy with this weekend. No stress about scores, medals etc. (of course it would be a bonus, if it comes along... :biggrin: )

Ross74

Medalist
Was it just me who was listening, or trying to listen to it on a non-Apple platform, his voice was terribly muffled and I often had hard time in making out his speech...?? :scratch:
Anyway feeling "somber" would be the most apt word that comes to mind about my feeling, after this interview. It was just beyond lovely hearing his usual cheerful voice, but oh dear, what he had to go through during these past two months... I didn't know he had to sit out Champs Camp, that explains no report of his skating came out from there. And to think that he couldn't even perform his signature spins without feeling sick... :sad21: I do have a feeling also the TSL report on the accident/injury sort of "accidentally leaked" without a consent from him or his team, which I feel bad for him.
It is good that he maintains a realistic goal for SA and the first part of the season, considering his condition. I just hope his progress continues steadily ahead, until he is certainly 100% - that must be the priority above anything else.
I just hope he will be able to deliver a clean program which he can be happy with this weekend. No stress about scores, medals etc. (of course it would be a bonus, if it comes along... :biggrin: )

Yes, the quality was very poor for me, too. I'm also a little uneasy learning about the particulars. It's hard hearing how hard it was for him. It's obvious that missing Nebelhorn was a necessity. I just hope they aren't rushing things by doing Skam. His health is more important than any competition. I wish him luck this weekend and hope he accomplishes what he wants to do there.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Listened on Apple Podcast, the beginning was quite muffled.

Oh wow, that concussion was scary. No way he was "back to normal" :shocked:

And that he put his foot down for the music. (not that David W. needed convincing):yes2:

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Oh yes that bit about deciding on music!!! :hap10: WTG Jason!!!
I was also struck with the vision Rohene had with the Scent of Love. My initial impression was exactly the same with Jason, isn't it a little too.... subtle, low-key???? But Rohene envisioned that Jason will make it an epic piece and the rest is history! That man is a genius :luv17:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I got teary-eyed listening to Jason on the podcast whilst I was at the gym, I've been sidelined from my sport through injury and understand how frustrating it is, and I only do it for fun! I guess it must have just felt like one hurdle after another, he'd just started settling into TCC, building relationships with the coaches and them with him, reworking his jumps... and then suddenly he can't even spin without being sick.

I will say though, it sounds like they've been very thorough with the concussion protocol, and hopefully he's on his way back to full health. 80% of the program, 60% of the program, whatever, I just can't wait to see Jason back out there!