Jason Brown | Page 734 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the correction! Clearly my memory was at fault (this is not surprising, it often is). Well, I'm glad I was labouring under this misconception, as if I had been expecting videos, I'd be even more disappointed. Hopefully some kind soul will film something. I'm not counting on it, but it would be nice...

Yeah, I really wanted to see Jason :( Hoping for a fan cam but not holding my breath. The scoreboard isn't even working on top of that. Disappointing for a challenger event for sure and Skate Croatia has held 4 or 5 events this year alone so they are not new to this. Scoreboard should at least work.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
@RemyRose is right - there is usually a stream. It is very disappointing not to have one. But I looked at the Challenger Series announcement and the ISU only encourages federations to provide television/ live stream - it’s not required. I guess if they want to encourage smaller less well funded feds/skaters to participate it makes sense but it’s a total bummer for fans. I’m really hoping some kind fan will post stuff on YouTube but I’m not confident it will happen. :(

If Australian Nationals can do a stream (with even a live TES tracker!) Then surely someone hosting a CS event should be expected to provide one.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
@RemyRose is right - there is usually a stream. It is very disappointing not to have one. But I looked at the Challenger Series announcement and the ISU only encourages federations to provide television/ live stream - it’s not required. I guess if they want to encourage smaller less well funded feds/skaters to participate it makes sense but it’s a total bummer for fans. I’m really hoping some kind fan will post stuff on YouTube but I’m not confident it will happen. :(

From what I understand there was a livestream last year.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Jason fell on the Lutz, no combo, score 79.44.

Finished the SP in 3rd, 1.85 points behind first place.

After such a strong season with his short last year, and considering he's doing the exact same layout, it's odd to see the lutz-combo getting to him so much. Fingers crossed for the free!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Well, could it be that Jason arrived late and couldn't get enough preparation for the SP? Apparently Orser didn't make it in time for Mens SP in Turin, perhaps his flight to Zagreb was also delayed, and sort of caused his subpar performance here??

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Well, could it be that Jason arrived late and couldn't get enough preparation for the SP? Apparently Orser didn't make it in time for Mens SP in Turin, perhaps his flight to Zagreb was also delayed, and sort of caused his subpar performance here??

That crossed my mind too. Weirdly, Yuzu missed his combo as well. Not a great day for Team Cricket! Home tomorrow goes better for both of them.

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Of course it could be anything. It could be the ice - the highest score there was like 80 points.

But the fact is, after looking pretty good at SA, Jason did not do at all well at NHK, and he fell on exactly the same 3Z in the SP. Last year, with the exact same elements - jumps and spins he’s been doing for years - he was skating clean and scoring 95-96. If it was one subpar SP with one fall I wouldn’t worry too much. But he’s fallen 5 times in his last 3 programs. I don’t know what’s going on with him, but it seems like something is wrong.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have to say that like @Tavi, I also find these results very puzzling. These are jumps that Jason has mastered, and it makes no sense to lose them now :confused:

It also crossed my mind that perhaps he arrived very late due to the snowstorms in Toronto. Maybe it’s just as well that we do not have a stream ;) although that is also one of the most peculiar decisions about this whole peculiar situation.

Trying hard to keep the faith. :pray:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
It is really odd, especially after getting so used to him nailing the SP last season and struggling with the free, it's sad to see him falling on the same content he was landing beautifully last year. He also looked great at SkAm so I wonder if it's something mental getting to him? (I really really reallly hope it has nothing to do with the derogatory, homophobic and hateful comments that have been made towards Jason by a certain trash russian skater. I imagine those sort of things would really mess with your head, especially when you're as lovely and kind as Jason)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The difference between last year and this year is that last year he didn't have a concussion right before the start of the season.

I do not want to think it could be related to that.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Definitely, I was just clinging on to the "late arrival theory" which of course can't be counted out until we find out what really took place... I am just praying so hard that he is NOT still fighting with the lingering issues from concussion :sad21:

sworddance21

On the Ice
The difference between last year and this year is that last year he didn't have a concussion right before the start of the season.

I do not want to think it could be related to that.

I've been worried about that all season. I don't want to question Team Cricket at all - but in general I think figure skating doesn't handle concussions well. I am very concerned that we are seeing effects of that. He was spinning waaaaaay sooner than I would have expected him to be, knowing how concussions work.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Honestly I think Jason going for the 3Z+3T over the 3F+3T has always been a bit silly and not worth it. The difference in value is negligible and his 3F is so good that he can easily make it on on GOE

the 3Z has always been an issue for Jason as he has a slight edge issue "!" are not unheard of on his lutz. Not surprising he may think a just a little too much going into the lutz and have issues. Seems like going with the more comfortable money jump would make so much more sense.

Seems it would be easier to just worry about landing the jump rather than worry about landing the jump and worrying about the edge.

I wonder if this is a coaching choice or a Jason choice or someone else telling them it is a good idea.

It is sorta like Gabby Daleman with the 3T+3T... easier jump, but hers is good enough to get straight +5s so it is worth it. Jason really would not need that much momentum with his 3F+3T to make that a reasonable goal.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Eh, but I see why he does it this way. His solo 3f gets massive GOE. Honestly not a lot of men do a solo 3F so it stands out. I think he’ll work out the edge issue, he’s scored well with 3z-3t in the past with no edge calls, so he's capable. I do think they are working to make sure there is no question with the edge, so maybe trying a bit too hard.

The rest of the program looked solid (from what I could see on the protocol).

Last edited:

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
It is still an outstanding short and I love it.. I keep going back to the slo-mo oniceperspectives video of it ... a bumpy journey for Jason this season and I pray he does not have health issues..
Wishing him future skates with lightness of heart and joy in his steps..