Jason Brown | Page 80 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I can understand how Jason is more of a dog person. His personality does seem very puppy-like, as karne said. But sometimes it's a matter of meeting the right cat - mine is super affectionate, meets me at the door when I come home from work, and loves to cuddle! I think Jason would approve :)

See that is kinda why I would almost see him as more of a cat person. He has indicated quiet nights in are his thing, so cats are great for that. I guess in some ways I almost think most athletes would do better with cats. Dogs you come home to and have to do stuff for (i.e. take for walk) cats, you can just relax and have them be part of your day end. Having to walk a dog after a splat fest training session seems daunting to me. Athletes of that level seem like the type that would be pretty intense in all they do, including pet ownership. I have a hard time seeing someone like Jason having a dog and not having it in obedience classes, long runs, and all sorta of other stuff to keep the pup busy that an athlete like that may not have time for. Cats, you can spoil and be an A+ parent with less time and work and involvement. Plus "they" say the frequency a cat purrs at helps with bone healing, so that is another thing cats have over dogs.

Like you said, it really can depend on the personality of the cat. My sig o claimed to be a dog person but now he sleeps with one cat like it's his teddy bear (we call that one the teddy cat) and carries the other one around the house like a football for fun. They say hi to him when he gets home and just chill out with us. Hell, one even noticed my better half was gone in the hospital for two weeks. . . never seen that cat roll and yowling happily so much as when his buddy came home finally. The only other time that cat has made that much noise is in the car. . . this was the only time he has ever been so talkative because he was happy, it was also the longest he ever went without seeing one of his humans. I should have filmed it, it really was on par with the solider returns home videos of dogs you see, but I had no clue he was going to act that way.

Hell we have had luck with training the cats to some extent. They know to wait for us to cover bare flesh before getting on our laps/legs. . . one learned the "high five" command so easily that my sig o stop doing it because the cat would not stop trying to get him to play high five with him this one also knows that "wanna get baked" means he is getting catnip and he goes tearing through the house to where we keep it. The other, the one pictured, I have had some luck teaching her to go on her back paws on the up command. . . but that was with good motivation. Point is. . . cats are not the lumps some people think they are.

alabhaois

On the Ice
http://figureskatersonline.com/jasonbrown/profile/

He lists his favorite animals as dogs (and dolphins)

I have three kitties out here in Colorado who were very sad to read that

I get the feeling he hasn't had a lot of contact with cats. I did read about his favorite animals, as well remembering his quote
that if he didn't move on in life, he'd "end up living in [his] parent's basement with 25 cats," making it sound like the last thing
in life he'd want! I can find that quote if you like-- I forget when he said it, but it was this year, I'm pretty sure.

Thinking back on it, I seem to recall he said it on Arsenio's show (post-Olympics)

Ah! Here's the clip. At 8:20 he says it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjPO8QdsL2U

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
They surely aren't, StitchMonkey-- I adore mine (all four!) and consider them my family. :love:

Well I only have three. . . but they are all gingers and my other half is a ginger. . . so I at least have four of them. Hell I even travel with them. I've taken the female pictured to the drive-in even. They are totally my family.

I do agree that people that have not had a lot of experience with cats don't always get them the same way. They take time to get to know. And I think they often tend to perform, for lack of a better way to put it, for visitors. You always hear about cats acting differently around certain people. . . so visitors don't always get the chance to meet the real cat. You also don't meet cats out and about as often. . . I have taken one of mine for walks in the park, but, yeah I am one of those weird cat owners that does stuff like that.

On a darker note. . . cats today are not the same pets cats were 20 years ago. Talk to anyone growing up in the 60s or 70s. . . ask how long the cats lived. . . much shorter than today. Part of the reason is that we did not have a very good idea of what cats need for food and eventually figured out better what they need. This has lead to cats living much much longer. Not really surprising that some cats that are old before their time due to nutritional deficits were cranky and did not create the same memories. It was not that long ago 10 was seen as old for a cat. I have two 10 year olds and an 11 year old. . . they are not old cats. Today's kitties are much healthier and happier than before.

alabhaois

On the Ice
Today's kitties are much healthier and happier than before.

That is so right-- when I was growing up, ten was an old cat.

Mine certainly aren't as relaxed as yours (when anyone rings the doorbell, all four tear up the stairs and hide), but once they
get to know the person, they're always around. Showing off, lots of times! Real characters. I consider myself very fortunate
to have them. :yes:

alabhaois

On the Ice
Do we know whether his family has any pets?
(I consider myself a dog person, although I do not have any. :))

I have no idea if his family has/had any pets but I have wondered. I imagine he's been so busy the past 15 years that
he hasn't the time to have a pet himself. But maybe his siblings did? It would be interesting to find out.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well how dare you not have every piece of Jason Brown info memorized and citeable!

http://i.imgur.com/3kBmNyV.jpg they do still enjoy watching him skate.

StitchMonkey, what a great photo of your red cat with Jason. And a red girl, too; they are somewhat unusual. (or at least red boys are more common).

Alabhaois, I *love* torties. Never had one (two calicos, one here, one on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge), but you should make one your avatar. We also have a black female, Cibaria, but she is way too regal to have cutesy photos taken for public display.;)

Ah well, Jason is a young man who for all his accomplishments on this ice still needs to learn the glory of cats. I did not appreciate them until young adulthood, as I grew up with dogs (and I still love dogs), but then I met a man with two cats. Not in his parents' basement. Twenty five years of marriage later, we're holding steady at six. Now if I could only train him to watch skating like StitchMonkey's cat....:laugh:

alabhaois

On the Ice
From Karne: Holy moly, that handstand walk. The amount of sheer strength on display there is unbelievable.

It really is!! That takes so much strength and balance, both of which he has in spades. I really enjoyed the
behind-the-scenes clip!

:)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
StitchMonkey, what a great photo of your red cat with Jason. And a red girl, too; they are somewhat unusual. (or at least red boys are more common).

Alabhaois, I *love* torties. Never had one (two calicos, one here, one on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge), but you should make one your avatar. We also have a black female, Cibaria, but she is way too regal to have cutesy photos taken for public display.;)

Ah well, Jason is a young man who for all his accomplishments on this ice still needs to learn the glory of cats. I did not appreciate them until young adulthood, as I grew up with dogs (and I still love dogs), but then I met a man with two cats. Not in his parents' basement. Twenty five years of marriage later, we're holding steady at six. Now if I could only train him to watch skating like StitchMonkey's cat....:laugh:

The reason you do not see as many red/orange/ginger girl kitties is actually the same genetic reason you do not see man male calicos/torties. The gene for that color of fur is linked to the X chromosome in cats. Males only having one X chromosome, end up ginger cats if that chromosome is ginger. With females, you have to have both X chromosomes be ginger for the cat to be ginger. If they have one X that is ginger and one that is something else (usually black/gray) you get a tortie/calico kitty. In order for a kitty to have both the ginger fur, and the dark/black of torties/calico you need two X chromosomes, so the only way (short of strange selective breeding for things like toygers) a male can be a tortie/calico is to have an extra chromosome (they would need to be XXY) which generally renders them infertile

As for training human to watch skating (or did you mean the cats). Try suggesting a summer comp sometime. I was showing my human some of the videos of the Broadmoor open and he very quickly said he would be happy to take me on a date to something like that. I think he found the lack of costumes refreshing to be honest. He can appreciate the physical nature of the sport, but he can't always get the costumes. Also try pointing Kori out to your husband or "the hot coach" as my better half calls her every time the camera cuts to her. He found the red head coach sending her skater out to skate to Irish music a bit clever and endearing.

To take it back to Jason and his off ice training since the handstand walk is so popular (as it should be!) not sure if this has ever shown up on here and searching for it through this thread is a bit daunting, but he did a podcast http://competitorradio.competitor.com/2014/03/jason-brown/ in March for a sports show that talked a bit about his training routine. Essentially training for Iron Man competitions is a large part of it (he claims he would love to do one. . . I would so love to see that. Frankly I think it would be really great for the sport, people don't get that this is a sport and these are athletes, seeing a figure skater kick some burly guys asses in an Iron Man comp would be awesome). Overall it was nice to get to hear him talk in a less rushed interview where he has time to say what he wants. Also the part where the hosts start talking about "quads" meaning quadricep is a bit amusing.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Another member of the owned by tuxedo cat Brownzilla fan club here. :) My cat Sebastian also enjoys watching Jason skate. It's either that or he's heard the music enough that he's curious to see what I keep watching!

Jason took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge today:

Well @amberglenniceskater today sure ended with a splash! Thanks for Nominating me to do the #ALSIceBucketChallenge to help raise awareness for the ALS Foundation! @sk8coachirok...You're next!! Along with @jbrownie7 & Dylan Brown!

video link: http://instagram.com/p/rqWIV0zXHT/

It's certainly one way to make the SP more exciting. :laugh:

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The reason you do not see as many red/orange/ginger girl kitties is actually the same genetic reason you do not see man male calicos/torties. The gene for that color of fur is linked to the X chromosome in cats. Males only having one X chromosome, end up ginger cats if that chromosome is ginger. With females, you have to have both X chromosomes be ginger for the cat to be ginger. If they have one X that is ginger and one that is something else (usually black/gray) you get a tortie/calico kitty. In order for a kitty to have both the ginger fur, and the dark/black of torties/calico you need two X chromosomes, so the only way (short of strange selective breeding for things like toygers) a male can be a tortie/calico is to have an extra chromosome (they would need to be XXY) which generally renders them infertile

As for training human to watch skating (or did you mean the cats). Try suggesting a summer comp sometime. I was showing my human some of the videos of the Broadmoor open and he very quickly said he would be happy to take me on a date to something like that. I think he found the lack of costumes refreshing to be honest. He can appreciate the physical nature of the sport, but he can't always get the costumes. Also try pointing Kori out to your husband or "the hot coach" as my better half calls her every time the camera cuts to her. He found the red head coach sending her skater out to skate to Irish music a bit clever and endearing.

To take it back to Jason and his off ice training since the handstand walk is so popular (as it should be!) not sure if this has ever shown up on here and searching for it through this thread is a bit daunting, but he did a podcast http://competitorradio.competitor.com/2014/03/jason-brown/ in March for a sports show that talked a bit about his training routine. Essentially training for Iron Man competitions is a large part of it (he claims he would love to do one. . . I would so love to see that. Frankly I think it would be really great for the sport, people don't get that this is a sport and these are athletes, seeing a figure skater kick some burly guys asses in an Iron Man comp would be awesome). Overall it was nice to get to hear him talk in a less rushed interview where he has time to say what he wants. Also the part where the hosts start talking about "quads" meaning quadricep is a bit amusing.

Both cats and spousal unit could use some lessons in watching skating, although spouse more so because he couldn't care less about any sport, anywhere, not because of anything particular to skating. The "hot coach", however, would be an attraction.:laugh: Not however, most female figure skaters, who are way too young, and even if not young, short and slender, for his tastes.

One of figure skating's attractions, however, is the gender neutral coaching. I am hard pressed to think of another sport with such equality in coaching.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cute photo of mischievous Jason and imperturbable Rohene sharing a locker room bench at Glacier Falls:
http://instagram.com/p/rP96xXlVve/ (posted Aug 3 by @emilyoltmanns)​

... Jason took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge today:

video link: http://instagram.com/p/rqWIV0zXHT/

It's certainly one way to make the SP more exciting. :laugh:

And Jason said that Kori is next :yes: -- along with his sibs.

The YouTube version of Jason's challenge:

Jordan @jomosk8 also took the Ice Bucket Challenge today mid-spin ;):

The YouTube versions are from Skate Today Videos.

(ETA ... oops ... I was posting the links above at the same time that el henry was editing the general Skate Today link into the post above. Great minds. ;) BTW, I do like reading the Instagram captions, which the YT videos do not include. Jordan's Instagram caption is especially sweet. :))

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Cute photo of mischievous Jason and imperturbable Rohene sharing a locker room bench at Glacier Falls:
http://instagram.com/p/rP96xXlVve/ (posted Aug 3 by @emilyoltmanns)​

And Jason said that Kori is next :yes: -- along with his sibs.

The YouTube version of Jason's challenge:

Jordan @jomosk8 also took the Ice Bucket Challenge today mid-spin ;):

The YouTube versions are from Skate Today Videos.

(ETA ... oops ... I was posting the links above at the same time that el henry was editing the general Skate Today link into the post above. Great minds. ;) BTW, I do like reading the Instagram captions, which the YT videos do not include. Jordan's Instagram caption is especially sweet. )

I will take the compliment, :laugh:but back atcha Golden411; I like the instagram versions better, with the captions.

But the heaven help anyone if they tag Rohene; I can't imagine what that would do to his fab hairstyle.:eek:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
But the heaven help anyone if they tag Rohene; I can't imagine what that would do to his fab hairstyle.:eek:

He should just take it as a challenge to put enough gel, hair spry, glue, blood of small children, etc in his hair to make it survive.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jason is assigned to Nebelhorn. :) (Happy to say that my thoughts in a previous post proved to be wrong.)

Mariah Bell also is assigned to Nebelhorn, and Jordan was assigned to SLC. Lots of excitement for Team Kori/Rohene. (They had a "competition readiness" week this week.)

(Thx to sk8ingcoach for posting the assignments in the Nebelhorn thread.)

~~~~~~~

Non-news ;):

Well how dare you not have every piece of Jason Brown info memorized and citeable!

http://i.imgur.com/3kBmNyV.jpg they do still enjoy watching him skate.

I get the feeling he hasn't had a lot of contact with cats. I did read about his favorite animals, as well remembering his quote
that if he didn't move on in life, he'd "end up living in [his] parent's basement with 25 cats," making it sound like the last thing
in life he'd want! I can find that quote if you like-- I forget when he said it, but it was this year, I'm pretty sure.

Thinking back on it, I seem to recall he said it on Arsenio's show (post-Olympics)

Ah! Here's the clip. At 8:20 he says it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjPO8QdsL2U

Ohhh, thx to alabhaois for posting the quote and looking up the interview.
I think Jason would be very tickled to see the great photo of your cat :popcorn:, Stitch Monkey. You should send it to him. :yes: