Jason Brown | Page 719 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I could not bring myself to even look at scores, let alone watch Jason's programs, until after the event. I have seen skaters I loved try to skate with concussion effects, and I could not bear to see Jason in a similar state, looking nauseated in the KnC.

What a joyful surprise that Jason skated well with two 3As in the FS, and a silver medal! I cannot get enough of the step sequence in the SP! The commitment to every movement, every beat of the music, the landing the jumps on the beat of the music, the spirals in tbe FS, the dramatic, appropriate ending in the FS.

But SL is not yet the three hankie emotional experience I expect later in the season...it will grow! And what a joy to see it develop.

Lynn's article...this struck me most.

But he believes the breakthrough will come.

“It’s one of those things where I know I’m capable,” he said. “It’s a mix of its frustrating, yet it continues to drive me forward.

With Jason landing a new skill, it always has been about the confidence he could do it before he actually would land it. If he has the confidence, it will come.

His jump air position is tighter than even last year, and his speed of rotation correspondingly faster.

Thank you to Rohene and David who have given him great programs this year. And thanks to Jason for giving wonderful performances.

Last edited:

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Back again, but I've just rewatched this again in the morning, with fresh eyes and just... wow. Spell-binding. Captivating. Jason puts so much thought into his movements right down to the tips of his fingers.

I actually really like the set up of the programme. I think once he has his jumps under him, he'll really make the opening third so melancholic and haunting. Then after that axel he hits some gorgeous shapes right on the music, and then of course, that incredible spiral right on the iconic notes of schindlers list.

This programme is a masterpiece. It's not flashy or full of energy or going to get you pumped. It's introspective and subtle and Jason does it absolutely spectacularly.

Ross74

Medalist
I could not bring myself to even look at scores, let alone watch Jason's programs, until after the event. I have seen skaters I loved try to skate with concussion effects, and I could not bear to see Jason in a similar state, looking nauseated in the KnC.

What a joyful surprise that Jason skated well with two 3As in the FS, and a silver medal! I cannot get enough of the step sequence in the SP! The commitment to every movement, every beat of the music, the landing the jumps on the beat of the music, the spirals in tbe FS, the dramatic, appropriate ending in the FS.

Same here. Only watched both programs after the ladies were done last night. And then watched them both a few times. :) It's the step sequence in the SP I keep going back to. That choreo is a masterpiece and the way he goes into that brief bluesy jazzy section hitting every beat makes my dance-loving heart soar. I love the look of this program, and the way he looks in it. Maybe it's the costume, but as someone said earlier, he looks so much more mature doing it. I really do like the sp costume. Those short sleeves suit him. I like the long program as well, but not with the same level of awe as with the short. The choreo is good, certainly better than last year, but I think what sets it off is that Jason is so committed to it. I love the spiral but my favorite part might be the abrupt stop and pose right out of the 3A. That cannot be easy. I'm going to love watching this program evolve. Overall, I'm thrilled with how good his skating looked at his first competition. What a strong person to be able to put these programs out there at this time.

There's a gala today, right? :)

babyskate

On the Ice
Being a Holocaust survivor's daughter and a huge Jason fan set up the perfect storm for me to start crying at the standstill after the 2nd triple axel. It just continued for me that I couldn't really appreciate the beauty of the program and his skating until I re-watched it this morning. When it was over and the whole audience was standing with me, I knew it was great.
After watching it this am I know it was great and will only improve with more mileage.
Incredible what Jason was able to do with shortened training time.
His commitment and focus to the program started right when he was announced and that ending was so poweful.
No words for the spiral.
I am still emotional about the whole experience and look forward to seeing him skate it again.

noskates

Record Breaker
Good morning all. Much rested and with fresh eyes and still feel the same. Doris and I are on the same page - Jason's programs grow with the season and I do believe THIS is going to be his iconic program. I didn't think anything could beat Riverdance in my mind for a skater being "at one" with the music, but this is a mature Jason with a mature program. It makes me sad to see the time that (IMO) was wasted last year on the Simon and Garfunkel fluff. Jason did the best he could do with it but for me it was a throwaway program/ Kudos to David Wilson for recognizing Jason's talent and ability to perform and I also think it's one of his best efforts after years of choreographing for some of the best.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Good morning all. Much rested and with fresh eyes and still feel the same. Doris and I are on the same page - Jason's programs grow with the season and I do believe THIS is going to be his iconic program. I didn't think anything could beat Riverdance in my mind for a skater being "at one" with the music, but this is a mature Jason with a mature program. It makes me sad to see the time that (IMO) was wasted last year on the Simon and Garfunkel fluff. Jason did the best he could do with it but for me it was a throwaway program/ Kudos to David Wilson for recognizing Jason's talent and ability to perform and I also think it's one of his best efforts after years of choreographing for some of the best.

I got the feeling that last year Jason skated what David wanted him to skate without any input at first. And then they added Jason's signature moves, but it was never cohesive the way Rohene's programs have always been. SL looks like a true collaboration to me with Jason adding plenty of his own input, and as such it looks like a true Jason program as opposed to Jason trying to skate a David Wilson program. Rohene knows Jason so well, I think Jason was used to doing what Rohene says, because Rohene knows what works for him. But at almost 25 and with a year of higher tech training under his belt, Jason is, as Tracy so elegantly put it, trying to control his own destiny. That is what TCC does for skaters and maturity does the rest. It is a beautiful program because Jason makes it a beautiful program, and David was smart enough to realize that Jason was right and they should go with it. I adore Riverdance, and Rohene was right that it was going to work well for Jason and highlight his talents. And I still love watching it. But Jason has finally truly grown beyond it.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I liked last years LP, I think it was understated and lovely. I think it was good for Jason to have a year where he let go and tried new things. This year I think he’s now learned the balance of when to rely on his own wants and opinions and when to let go of control. I think pushing himself last year made him a better skater. All his different program led him to feeling mature enough for SL.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Being a Holocaust survivor's daughter and a huge Jason fan set up the perfect storm for me to start crying at the standstill after the 2nd triple axel. It just continued for me that I couldn't really appreciate the beauty of the program and his skating until I re-watched it this morning. When it was over and the whole audience was standing with me, I knew it was great.
After watching it this am I know it was great and will only improve with more mileage.
Incredible what Jason was able to do with shortened training time.
His commitment and focus to the program started right when he was announced and that ending was so poweful.
No words for the spiral.
I am still emotional about the whole experience and look forward to seeing him skate it again.

Thank you for your perspective @babyskate. If this program has an emotional impact on me, I can only imagine what it has for others.

Is it perfect yet? No. But it will grow. And I will be waiting :pray:

liv

Record Breaker
This was a beautiful program and he skated it far better than I expected him to, considering he's just post concussion. He and David really got this program to work in every way that last year's didn't. When the skater's personality shows through David's work it is far better than just a program that David is making for the skater... really, really good. I loved it and his joy after the skate was evident.

sdwyer52

On the Ice
I feel the same way. Jason is so versatile and professional out there. Love both costumes and new programs. I love Jason!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
does anyone know if/when jason is skating in the gala? can't seem to find a schedule, and not sure if i can stay awake past midnight for the third day in a row just in case jason is skating. I'm assuming he'll be in the gala (american, silver medalist, and well... jason) but then again he may want a rest as he's not 100%. Wonder if we'll have a new exhibition programme? Or will it still be the justin timberlake one?

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sure this SL program of Jason's will become one of my favorites of his.

I'm not surprised he got over 90 points in PCS - he is a complete skater and while i hope he is successful in adding the quad to the program, his command of the ice and the performance level is really unmatched.

sdwyer52

On the Ice
I agree. Last year I felt sad while he skated his LP. He never smiled until the last section of music came on and he could skate as he wanted to. Hopefully, he won't go through that again. Jason has spectacular talent.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I feel the same way. Jason is so versatile and professional out there. Love both costumes and new programs. I love Jason!

Welcome to the Jason Fan Fest, @Sdwyer52, where we share the love for all things Jason. :) Post long and post often!

does anyone know if/when jason is skating in the gala? can't seem to find a schedule, and not sure if i can stay awake past midnight for the third day in a row just in case jason is skating. I'm assuming he'll be in the gala (american, silver medalist, and well... jason) but then again he may want a rest as he's not 100%. Wonder if we'll have a new exhibition programme? Or will it still be the justin timberlake one?

Jason is essentially first in the second half of the gala. Alysa Liu skates first as an invited guest, then maybe some local skaters, and then some Vegas act, :laugh: and then Jason.

I am also curious about the gala. I think it will be the greased lightning program from Sun Valley, but who knows?

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Jason is essentially first in the second half of the gala. Alysa Liu skates first as an invited guest, then maybe some local skaters, and then some Vegas act, :laugh: and then Jason.

I am also curious about the gala. I think it will be the greased lightning program from Sun Valley, but who knows?

thank you!! another day on five hours sleep awaits me tomorrow then!!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
So cute, in his interview with Meryl Jason said that Brian turned to him in the K&C after his Free Skate and said to him: "That was just beautiful". Jason said his heart melted when he heard that from Brian. Jason said he even heard Brian scream "Good boy" when he landed one of his jumps in training. Haha

melgirl25

Medalist
So cute, in his interview with Meryl Jason said that Brian turned to him in the K&C after his Free Skate and said to him: "That was just beautiful". Jason said his heart melted when he heard that from Brian. Jason said he even heard Brian scream "Good boy" when he landed one of his jumps. Haha

That is cute [emoji4]

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Jason said in the interview that he has been working on the 4S, 4T and 4F this summer, but now they are focused on the 4S and 4T and keep the 4F for later. He is training his Quads everyday. That interview was so good, Jason makes me smile all the time. He is a ray of sunshine.