Jason Brown | Page 727 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah it's not a weak field at all. Yuzu is there, obviously. But Kevin has skated quite well this season and Makar just medaled at RC and landed all his quads (he also won Nebelhorn with a similar technical performance). Also you can't forget Sota Yamamoto, who medaled at both his Challenger events and also has landed quads (nice one's too). He won the Finlandia SP over Shoma. So if all four hit and Jason doesn't, yeah then you have Jason in fifth right there.

Jason however has his own strengths and rack up points as needed where some of them can't, so can't discount that either. He's also only one of three (Yuzu and Nathan being the other two )to score in the 90 range in PCS in the FS this season.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yeah it's not a weak field at all. Yuzu is there, obviously. But Kevin has skated quite well this season and Makar just medaled at RC and landed all his quads (he also won Nebelhorn with a similar technical performance). Also you can't forget Sota Yamamoto, who medaled at both his Challenger events and also has landed quads (nice one's too). He won the Finlandia SP over Shoma. So if all four hit and Jason doesn't, yeah then you have Jason in fifth right there.

Jason however has his own strengths and rack up points as needed where some of them can't, so can't discount that either. He's also only one of three (Yuzu and Nathan being the other two )to score in the 90 range in PCS in the FS this season.

You are right - I meant to say with the exception of Yuzu and have edited my post accordingly.

Sota, Kevin, and Makar were three of the men I was thinking of, but there are others too (Sergei V for example). But I agree that Jason has his own strengths and that if he competes both programs well he has an excellent chance to medal / place top 4. It occurred to me that Jason, Kevin, and Makar all had the benefit of “home ice” for their first comps. I think Sota’s scores were earned on neutral territory and of course he is on home ice here. Anyway, I think this is the first time any of these guys have met at a GP this season, so it will be interesting to see how they do against each other.

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yes, we’ll know soon - and get to see both programs again!

I understand your concern about breaking the mood in the FS, absolutely. But when the time comes, I still think he’s better off introducing 4S in the FS. It’s just less risky, for a lot of reasons. So I would be surprised if they decided to put it into the SP before it was solid in the FS.

Anyway, what they do really depends on strategy. If he and the team decide that making the GPF this year - and maybe trying for a bronze medal there - is really important to set him up for the Olympics, then I’d guess they would just focus on skating clean and trying to maximize PCS/ GOE. If getting the quad out is most important and they don’t feel the GPF is that important right now, they may risk it at NHK.

I’ve seen comments that )with the exception of Yuzuru) this is a “weak” field, but I disagree. There are quite a few guys who haven’t hit yet this year but who have the potential to score highly if they have the skate of their lives. So I don’t think Jason placing 4th or above is a given.

Definitely not a given. Likely if Jason skates clean, but not a given at all! This comp is very competitive, more so than most of them have been this season. Jason will have to be nearly perfect. So if they are aiming for GPF, the quad is risky. I would LOVE to see him land a quad in Japan. And if he's been solid, they will probably go for it. But if he hasn't been, I think they might decide against it. I trust them all to make a really good decision. I think his team has been handling his career very smartly and well. And Jason is thriving.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
You are right - I meant to say with the exception of Yuzu and have edited my post accordingly.

Sota, Kevin, and Makar were three of the men I was thinking of, but there are others too (Sergei V for example). But I agree that Jason has his own strengths and that if he competes both programs well he has an excellent chance to medal / place top 4. It occurred to me that Jason, Kevin, and Makar all had the benefit of “home ice” for their first comps. I think Sota’s scores were earned on neutral territory and of course he is on home ice here. Anyway, I think this is the first time any of these guys have met at a GP this season, so it will be interesting to see how they do against each other.

Yes Sergei and Alexei are both worth mentioning cause they beat Jason to et on the podium at NHK 2017, but they're big question marks too. The only one I think that could potentially mix things up is Tomoki given that he does hit his quads sometimes. But Jason does have a sizable PCS buffer on all three and pretty much the entire field save for Kevin and Yuzuru.

One thing that will help Jason is that the tech panels have been brutal on spin and step levels during this GP season. It's almost a running joke how many men have gotten level 2 step sequences. And a lot of men have gotten level 3 (or less) spins. Kevin and Yuzuru will match him on step sequences, and Yuzu is pretty good with spins, Kevin less so....but so far this GP season Jason's SA spin spors have been least 2-3 points more on spins then most of the men's field here. In fact, his gap with Makar, for one, is around eight points over the course of the competition.

Last edited:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Ahhhhhh I’m getting so excited! :)

Men's short is 5 AM Friday EST. I hope Jason skates in the 2nd group. Men's Free is at 5:15 EST on Saturday. Should be done by 7:30 or so. Those are probably the only two competitions that I'll be able to watch live. I have a heavy schedule this week, but I am ignoring everything but skating during those two time slots. Really, really hoping for two great skates! I'll have the competition thread open and hope to read comments from all of you before and after the skate. Meanwhile, we'll all be waiting for some glimpse of Jason between now and then! We know the stands will be packed and the energy level will be very high. And I hope that Jason doesn't skate last or right after Yuzu, but he'll cope with whatever he gets.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Yes Sergei and Alexei are both worth mentioning cause they beat Jason to et on the podium at NHK 2017, but they're big question marks too. The only one I think that could potentially mix things up is Tomoki given that he does hit his quads sometimes. But Jason does have a sizable PCS buffer on all three and pretty much the entire field save for Kevin and Yuzuru.

One thing that will help Jason is that the tech panels have been brutal on spin and step levels during this GP season. It's almost a running joke how many men have gotten level 2 step sequences. And a lot of men have gotten level 3 (or less) spins. Kevin and Yuzuru will match him on step sequences, and Yuzu is pretty good with spins, Kevin less so....but so far this GP season Jason's SA spin spors have been least 2-3 points more on spins then most of the men's field here. In fact, his gap with Makar, for one, is around eight points over the course of the competition.

Yeah, other than Hanyu, the only guy at NHK close on the spins is Roman Sadovsky (and he's not likely to be a threat given how the jumps tend to go - even though I love him).

Skating Scores has a Mens Top Chart with mean spins and mean steps score (so counts both the GOE and level). For spins, the top 5 in order are Jason, Daniil Samsonov, Roman, Yuzuru and Deniss. For steps, the top 5 are Jason, Kevin, Nathan, Yuzuru and Kazuki.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, other than Hanyu, the only guy at NHK close on the spins is Roman Sadovsky (and he's not likely to be a threat given how the jumps tend to go - even though I love him).

Skating Scores has a Mens Top Chart with mean spins and mean steps score (so counts both the GOE and level). For spins, the top 5 in order are Jason, Daniil Samsonov, Roman, Yuzuru and Deniss. For steps, the top 5 are Jason, Kevin, Nathan, Yuzuru and Kazuki.

I hope Roman does well this weekend! I do enjoy watching him.

I follow another stats site on Twitter (run by a Japanese fan) and this user tracks the total scores for each competitor from GP and Jason also outranks all but one ladies skater in total spin scores. (Alina Z. in case you're wondering). That was kind of interesting.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:laugh: I'm having flashbacks to Jason's extreme love of the bountiful bread bowl in Oberstdorf.

Good luck in Japan -- and enjoy the onigiri for us. �� �� ��

I laughed so much. Our adorable goofball.

(But I 100% feel him. I had some weird blood test results earlier this year and one of the things the doc wanted to investigate further was whether I was celiac. I nearly CRIED right there in her office.)

I'm so excited for NHK! (I can't believe all of you who can't watch? how can you not watch i have to watch i have to know) I have a really good feeling about it. Plus, skating at karne-friendly times!

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I laughed so much. Our adorable goofball.

(But I 100% feel him. I had some weird blood test results earlier this year and one of the things the doc wanted to investigate further was whether I was celiac. I nearly CRIED right there in her office.)

I'm so excited for NHK! (I can't believe all of you who can't watch? how can you not watch i have to watch i have to know) I have a really good feeling about it. Plus, skating at karne-friendly times!

Me too, though I am usually more nervous than he is! 5:30 AM is doable, though I have a long and busy schedule both days.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Aaaaaaaaaaaa the much anticipated post!!! :hap93:

BTW IF I go to see Jason in Turin, I know what to throw in... unfortunately there is no RMH in Turin or its immediate vicinity, so it will be just for him.
THIS with a tag that says "AND Obviously my family" :rofl:

OMG that’s the best!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
If Jason gets into the GPF I legitimately might try to fly to Italy for the Free Skate... It I sacrifice all my sleep and all my money I could definitely do it in a weekend... I think Italy is the closest he’s ever gonna get to the UK for me!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

BTW IF I go to see Jason in Turin, I know what to throw in... unfortunately there is no RMH in Turin or its immediate vicinity, so it will be just for him.

Note that it comes in different sizes. The ginormous one in the pictures isn't even available. But I think that's all to the good.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Note that it comes in different sizes. The ginormous one in the pictures isn't even available. But I think that's all to the good.

Yes I saw. As much as I would like to throw the ginormous, I would have to order at home and drag it all the way from Rome to Turin, along with other "fangirl equipments", I don't think it's a very practical choice, so I guess I settle for the 40cm one :biggrin:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

That's a stuffie he will want to keep. But there is a RMH in Florence which is 4 1/2 hours from Torino. I could see Jason and his family taking a little road trip to deliver toys.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
That's a stuffie he will want to keep. But there is a RMH in Florence which is 4 1/2 hours from Torino. I could see Jason and his family taking a little road trip to deliver toys.

If they are driving, the one in Brescia is closer, from Turin it should be about 2 1/2 hours. Or there is a RM "Family Room" in Alessandria, about an hour's drive from Turin. It depends on how tight his schedule will be, though both location seems a bit out of the way. If he has a few days in disposition, there maybe a possibility that he decides to visit Florence and the RMH there as you said, and squeeze in a day of sightseeing there. Florence is by far more interesting a place to make an extra stop than Brescia or Alessandria :laugh: I will try to find out once his trip to Turin is definitive :agree: