Jason Brown | Page 730 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Of course, saddened by Jason’s score although never by what he tries to do. :thumbsup:

It is frustrating because his mental game at one point was a great feature and now I just get so worried. :sad21:

I may not be posting as much as I normally do for our boy because I have had my own mishap. Since we are all friends here I will share that yours truly had an unfortunate encounter with the sidewalk a few days ago and the sidewalk was victorious. So I am writing with a wrist fracture in two places, surgery upcoming, lots of painkillers, and iPhone dictation.

And hoping for the free that Jason wants. :pray:

Oh No el henry!! Heal quickly and well!! As pain-free as possible.. thinking of you

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Of course, saddened by Jason’s score although never by what he tries to do. :thumbsup:

It is frustrating because his mental game at one point was a great feature and now I just get so worried. :sad21:

I may not be posting as much as I normally do for our boy because I have had my own mishap. Since we are all friends here I will share that yours truly had an unfortunate encounter with the sidewalk a few days ago and the sidewalk was victorious. So I am writing with a wrist fracture in two places, surgery upcoming, lots of painkillers, and iPhone dictation.

I hope Jason helps ease the pain with a beautiful free skate tomorrow!

He can still do it, guys. He can still make GPF. It's very doable.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Good luck with the surgery! I have metal plates in both wrists as souvenirs of encounters with sidewalks so I can tell you from experience, it does get better.

It will get better for Jason too. He showed us at Skate America that he can put a bad SP behind him and have a brilliant free skate. Here's hoping he does so again tomorrow.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
armchair coach here thinks jason has to go for the quad. if does clean triples i'm not sure he'll make 4th if everyone else does their best

Why? He has never landed a fully rotated quad of any kind in competition. If he falls on it, he will lose half of its value, get negative GOE, a one point deduction, and a cap on PCS. If it’s < he loses more points. It could also impact his execution of the rest of the program.

For a completely clean SP without a quad he would probably earn about 175 points.

The problem is that if he’s been practicing the quad layout, it may cause problems for him to go back to the quad less layout.

noskates

Record Breaker
I have confidence that Brian will help him figure out the best thing to do.

El - I told you not to practice your triple axel when the sidewalk was icy!!! :hopelessness: I'm so sorry you have to undergo surgery though and it's your right hand, right? Will send lots of emails. :console:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Oh WOW! I am so super sorry! I wish I could help. Keep us informed as you deal with this. I hope Jason's long program cheers you up! If it's any consolation, Jason's PCs are better than everyone's except Kevin and Yuzu and Kevin barely passed him. And that was with some tough love from the judges. So he just needs to focus, skate his triples with panache and he'll be fine. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow morning, even if you are asleep as you should be at 5 AM. I will be up and cheering him on. And I will pray for both of you!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Oh dear 4T :drama::drama::drama: I tend to agree and strongly so, that it would have been better to leave out any attempt at 4 rotations, and go for a solid performance, but hey the team and himself know Jason Brown more than any of us, if they decided that is the best strategy, we just have to trust their judgement and pray for the best ... oh the moment of the truth just in an hour :eekn:
Everyone gather up and send him the positive vibes!!! :handw::handw::handw:

babyskate

On the Ice
I am sending good vibes to El to heal well and Jason to skate well. I am awake but too nervous to watch.
I am ridiculously superstitious. Jason has always has medaled when I am there live and not always when I watch live so I will catch the scores and performance later. I will go for a run before I go to work now to calm my nerves.
Go Jason!!!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Sad... really, really sad.
He missed GPF Qualification by 8 points...

His head just did not look in the game this weekend :(

Zaki

On the Ice
I don't understand the strategy in changing the jump layout so drastically from SA. It's like they did everything to miss the GPF.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I am rather worried about his condition. Could it be that his recovery is going slower/more erratic than expected??? :( Not trying to make any excuses for him... it was just so surreally bad even considering the curse of NHK... :cry:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Honestly, I don't think it was that bad? I mean yeah, I'm sure he would have loved to have a better skate, but actually there was still a lot to appreciate, the ice coverage was really impressive actually -- that is one thing about TCC I do appreciate the most while he's still getting used to the jump technique. And he had some really nice jumps -- I was glad to see the 3Z-1L-3S again -- it's a really nice combo.

It's a bummer that he missed out on GPF, but he'll be at Golden Spin in two weeks, so I hope he can use it as redemption and to do any necessary tune-up leading up to Nationals.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
ETA I haven’t watched yet, so I can’t say whether it’s that bad. But four falls in one competition seems bad to me.

Last June I wasn’t happy to hear he’d been selected for NHK, but when On Ice Perspectives posted those clips of his programs in August I got super excited for the season. Then the long silence and the withdrawal from NHK were followed, finally, by a candid interview with Jackie and two unexpectedly strong skates at SA. He looked so good there, the programs looked gorgeous. Yeah there were two jump mistakes, but given his curtailed training time, that wasn’t surprising or concerning. He really looked on track to have a great season.

So what happened here? I don’t know. None of us do. Maybe he is still have concussion symptoms. I hope to God it’s not that, but it could be. But something is wrong. Is it TCC’s strategy for him? My personal feeling is that it’s not - that if it’s not residuals from the concussion, it’s that he’s putting the same kind of pressure on himself he did during the Olympic year - only this time it’s to please Brian, by showing Brian he can meet the “average” 18 month timeline for completely revamping his technique, start landing quads in competition, vanquish the NHK dragon and medal there, and make the GPF.

His skating and jumps have improved a ton at TCC. He’s so beautiful to watch. But I wonder if he thinks where he’s at isn’t good enough, that he’s second rate without quads, that if he needs more than 18 months to land quads in competition, or that if needs to avoid skating in Japan, that’s not okay. It’s so sad to think that he could easily have taken silver or bronze here if he’d just done what he did at SA.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Honestly, I think for me I don't think it's terrible to chalk up to that he had a not so great competition and leave it at that. Zhenya was also 2nd and 5th this season. I just think in trying to pursue excellence you're going to have setbacks.

And as I said, I don't think this particular free skate in the big scheme of things was not bad. I went back and watched his other NHK free skates and though technically he scored better in 2017 NHK, i actually think his overall performance here was better. And it was certainly much better (though we now know it was injury related) than his last apperance in Sapporo in 2016.

Also the striking thing here was that he was relatively calm about it. And I think Tracy was relatively calm too and was really supportive.

I certainly wish he's done better and qualified for gpf :cry:, but I don't think this is any indicator of how the rest of his season will go. And GPF/JGPF certainly isn't the sole indicator of who will prevail in the second half of the season.

I do think he probably has some mental barriers to overcome, but I think that's a process. It's not going to resolve itself overnight. He's been a quick study, I think he'll figure it out eventually.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Honestly, I think for me I don't think it's terrible to chalk up to that he had a not so great competition and leave it at that. Zhenya was also 2nd and 5th this season. I just think in trying to pursue excellence you're going to have setbacks.

And as I said, I don't think this particular free skate in the big scheme of things was not bad. I went back and watched his other NHK free skates and though technically he scored better in 2017 NHK, i actually think his overall performance here was better. And it was certainly much better (though we now know it was injury related) than his last apperance in Sapporo in 2016.

Also the striking thing here was that he was relatively calm about it. And I think Tracy was relatively calm too and was really supportive.

I certainly wish he's done better and qualified for gpf :cry:, but I don't think this is any indicator of how the rest of his season will go. And GPF/JGPF certainly isn't the sole indicator of who will prevail in the second half of the season.

I do think he probably has some mental barriers to overcome, but I think that's a process. It's not going to resolve itself overnight. He's been a quick study, I think he'll figure it out eventually.

I really appreciate how positive you always are. I just watched the FS. On the one hand, you can absolutely see how much his skating and jumps have improved, and I do love the program for him. On the other, his face before he started...to me reflected a sense that he knew this was going to be a difficult skate and he was just hoping to get through it, very different to the focus and confidence he had at SA. He seemed unfocused here. For example, I think he fell on the loop because he forgot to do the preceding spiral as usual on the music, and then quickly stuck it in. Was this strictly nerves/pressure or was he having concussion related symptoms? Dunno. But something was way off.

The other thing is, while I agree that missing the GPF theoretically is no big deal and shouldn’t determine the rest of his season, I do wonder if the way he missed out for the second time is going to eat at him and whether it will negatively impact perceptions of him. And although yes, Tracy was lovely in the knc, it struck me that Brian wasn’t there. Conrad was finished and Yuzu’s skate wasn’t imminent. So I do wonder what his absence means.