Jason Brown | Page 658 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I wouldn't be altogether unhappy if he skipped. That free skate is cursed.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe if he does WTT, he can just go back to the Piano again:laugh:

Sadly, because Jason likes the event, I think it is Nathan’s and Vincent’s for the asking, and from an objective viewpoint I could not argue with that. :shrug: but that means he can get started on a *new* free:thumbsup:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Eh, he was fine with the free skate 4CC and it wasn't that terrible at nationals. It just never fully gelled and there was a lot of things he never fully got comfortable with, i.e. the quad. I I actually liked the program and there's some really lovely moments.

We'll see. Official deadline is Thursday so it won't be too long before we find out.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I know I'm ragging on the S&G program but no, it wasn't that bad. ;)It also suffers in comparison to the short, and that's not fair.

One detail in the ITL Podcast that I had not heard before: when Jason was missing his costumes, he was planning on black turtleneck/pants for the short and "an exhibition" costume for the LP. Dear Evan Hansen, no doubt.

Interchanging bowling shirts:agree:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Speaking of programs, I think it’s telling that Jason chose the music and the choreographer for the SP and it was pretty quickly an incredible success. That never happened with the FS, and although some of it was undoubtedly because he is reworking his tech and the FS has the 4S and simply more elements overall, I do wonder how much of it was that he ignored his instinct that the music was wrong for him. He said he “fell in love with” the program as soon as he started working on it, but IMO it didn’t become special until they started adding his signature elements to it. Yes, it did have a few beautiful moments, and he improved his 3Lo! But unlike Evgenia, he never seemed to recognize he needed something different. The costume still causes me to shake my head. He’s pretty clearly a guy who cares about his appearance. Did he not recognize that it wasn’t the best he could do, or was he just too “nice” and cooperative to assert himself?

If I have one wish for him next season (aside from a Rohene choreographed program) it’s that he starts trusting his instincts and asserting himself. (And please god don’t let anyone convince him to do light hearted jazzy or cutesy music....)

eaglehelang

Final Flight
ps, if you need something to cheer you up here's brian orser slipping up and swearing in the k&c because he's meant to be with jason. obviously tracey would have been with jason, but it's still hilarious to watch brian freak :laugh:

It was posted in Yuzuru's FF first & we have have a good time laughing. Ghislain's huge laugh made me go another round of lol

eaglehelang

Final Flight
As for Jason's LP, he somehow made it workable for this transition season.
He could have insisted on a different piece of music but there wasnt time.
He could hv changed choreographer mid season like Evgenia but I suppose there's the additional costs to consider.

doublequad

On the Ice
Tosca was never Evgenia's previous style but it seemed to fit her better than OCS. Maybe Jason should do something similar - not exactly his style but not completely off as well.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I can't believe they didn't invite Jason to the Gala! At Worlds in JAPAN! I know he didn't place particularly high (thought they invited Gabby Daleman who placed 11th in the ladies) but they always tend to invite crowd pleasers and Jason is most definitely that! Would have liked to have seen him end his Worlds experience on a happier note :(

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't believe they didn't invite Jason to the Gala! At Worlds in JAPAN! I know he didn't place particularly high (thought they invited Gabby Daleman who placed 11th in the ladies) but they always tend to invite crowd pleasers and Jason is most definitely that! Would have liked to have seen him end his Worlds experience on a happier note :(

I can't believe it either. And he won a small medal. :(

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I can't believe it either. And he won a small medal. :(

omg yeah that makes it worse! could it be that they didn't want too many american men? obviously nathan and vincent would be there as medal winners, so perhaps they didn't want to infairly balance it with too many US men :(

Tavi...

Record Breaker
It was posted in Yuzuru's FF first & we have have a good time laughing. Ghislain's huge laugh made me go another round of lol

I’m not really sure how funny it is. When you’re preparing to compete, you usually have a pretty set routine, and in fact, one of the things Jason mentioned about the difficulties he had competing early in the season was precisely that he had new coaches behind the boards, didn’t know what to expect, and didn’t have a routine established with them. Given that Nathan skated in between Yuzu and Jason, it’s unclear how soon Brian would normally have gone to prepare Jason, but it’s not impossible that the delay had some impact on his readiness to compete.

Regarding the gala, we don’t know if Jason was invited and declined, but it’s a bit odd he wasn’t there. There were quite a few Japanese men, including Keiji, who placed 14th.

Regarding his program, I think if Jason had really wanted to change it, they would have. Whenever he was asked about it, he always said that his initial reaction was “no,” they told him just to try it and if it didn’t work they’d change it, and then as soon as he started working on it, he fell in love with it. I doubt it was a money issue.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
I’m not really sure how funny it is. When you’re preparing to compete, you usually have a pretty set routine, and in fact, one of the things Jason mentioned about the difficulties he had competing early in the season was precisely that he had new coaches behind the boards, didn’t know what to expect, and didn’t have a routine established with them. Given that Nathan skated in between Yuzu and Jason, it’s unclear how soon Brian would normally have gone to prepare Jason, but it’s not impossible that the delay had some impact on his readiness to compete.

Tracy was with Jason, so its not a big issue.
For me, the main difference is Brian is not Jason's main coach, Tracy is.
Like Lee Barkell is Gabby Daleman's main coach, not Brian.

When it was Javier & Yuzuru, Brian will leave immediately after hugging one & not sit in the Kiss& Cry with them. One reason is cos most of the time,Brian was the only coach there for men's event. Right up until 2017 WC when Tracy went together.

Ghislain & Brian was with Cha Jun Hwan at K&C, not Tracy. So, I reckon TCC has a system worked out.
For this Worlds, Ghislain takes care of Yuzuru mainly, then Jun Hwan. Tracy takes care of Jason & Evgenia. Lee Barkell takes care of Gabby. Brian moves around.

TMC

Record Breaker
Jason may have been invited but declined for some reason, like Nathan at Worlds 2017

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Always felt Jason's free program was designed specifically to include the quad as a work in progress. True, it has many elements, lovely in their own right, but it is a quiet reflective piece... not alot of performance moves to occupy Jason's focus and I think the choreography did it's job. I actually quite like the program; we got the chance to see Jason do something entirely different and I can now imagine him skating to more intricate music like this in future.. it broadens his scope choreographically. Will be very interesting to see the direction he and team take next..

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As the American male who finished lowest out of the three, I fully understand why Jason may not have been invited (or declined) to perform in the Gala.

Jason did speak on behalf of the athletes at the banquet though. Check out US Figure Skating's insta story for Jason's speech in both English and Japanese:

https://www.instagram.com/usfigureskating/

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations to Jason for the small silver medal. :yay:

… Jason did speak on behalf of the athletes at the banquet though. Check out US Figure Skating's insta story for Jason's speech in both English and Japanese:

https://www.instagram.com/usfigureskating/

Yes, and I think the athletes do consider it an honor :bow: to be chosen for this role.

Not sure about all competitions, but sometimes I think the athletes vote on who they want to represent them as the banquet speaker?

... could it be that they didn't want too many american men? obviously nathan and vincent would be there as medal winners, so perhaps they didn't want to infairly balance it with too many US men :(

I do think that overloading the gala with U.S. men probably was a consideration for the LOC.
I don't see Jason's absence as anything personal against him.

For example, at Four Continents in Anaheim, Kaori (who placed fourth) did not skate in the gala.
Rika (first) and Mai (third) did -- naturally so.
As did the ladies who placed fifth through seventh (Tennell, Bell, Lim).
[ETA: Kaori had won the Four Continents small silver for her SP.]

[IIRC, it is not uncommon -- understandably so, IMO :ghug: -- for home federations to invite all or almost all of its own skaters to competition galas. As Japan did here.]

I wish Jason would say he loves cats :sad21:

I think he is lost to the canine side :laugh:

Speaking of cats .. Jason was my favorite part of Cathy Reed's quiz game on the ISU Instastory after the men's SP. To answer her question, Jason kept gesturing like the Japanese good-luck cat figurines. Very cute.