Jason Brown | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Marisha92

Rinkside
Jason is just the nicest person ever, in skating and in the real world. He brought his medal to the rink and had all the kids (including mine) try it on and take pictures. Now my 9 year old is running around and telling everyone he's got an Olympic bronze medal!

Oh, and I loved attending the synchro skating competition- totally different vibe than at a regular figure skating event. All the girls were so excited and were dancing and having a great time when they weren't competing.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason is just the nicest person ever, in skating and in the real world. He brought his medal to the rink and had all the kids (including mine) try it on and take pictures. Now my 9 year old is running around and telling everyone he's got an Olympic bronze medal!

Oh, and I loved attending the synchro skating competition- totally different vibe than at a regular figure skating event. All the girls were so excited and were dancing and having a great time when they weren't competing.

That is too cute!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

That is sooooooooooooooooo cute!

And thanks to a tweet from a synchro skater, I see that Jason has added an Olympic flourish to his autograph. :yes:

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, fabulous! (Poor Max, banished to the corner of that object. ;) )

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/n...-brown-second-from-right-news-photo/469989181

Stumbled upon this fun photo while doing some photo searching on Getty Images!

I think what's awesome is how enthuastic Sarah Hendrickson looks! Perhaps Jason help convert Sarah into an ice dance fan?

That was their date! ;) Very cute.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Very cool :cool: for your kid and all the kids that Jason wanted everyone to enjoy his medal.

LOL, so Jason must have convinced the 'rents to let him bring the medal to Colorado, at least for now. ;)
They wanted to keep it at the family home near Chicago, according to what Jason told the student from his former high school who interviewed him. :laugh:

And thx for your observation re the synchro vibe.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For those of you in Michigan (specifically Ann Arbor):

jasonbskates 3:36pm via Twitter for iPhone
So excited 2 join the incredible cast of #FrenchieSkate! Show is this Sunday @ the Yost Arena in Ann Arbor! W/ @WeaverPoje @ShibSibs & more!

Details are here: http://www.frenchieskate.com/

Jeremy Abbott, Aldridge & Eaton, Alissa Czisny and many others.

$75 for tickets + a meet & greet is a pretty awesome deal considering that it costs $75 ALONE just for the meet & greet for Stars on Ice.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
One of my favorite Sochi photos was Kori Ade with what I think was a USOC medal for coaching that she received because of Jason.

And Jason has nominated Kori for an Inspiration Award. The winner will be determined by online voting, ending Mar 16, and will receive a commemorative ring from the company that makes the rings for U.S. Olympians and Paralympians.

A lovely letter that Jason wrote to Kori on the occasion of her fortieth birthday is at the first link above (scroll down).
(Sorry if this "news" is old ... I myself just stumbled upon the site for the first time. Still wiping away the tears. Incredible tribute to Kori.)

Mini-excerpt:
"Not only are you my coach, but you have become my second mom, my best friend, my teacher, psychologist, my biggest inspiration, and role model. I look up to you more than you will ever know, and I am beyond proud to call you my coach. I am so fortunate to have one of the best influences a child could have growing up."

And today Jason has tweeted a solicitation for votes for the inspiring Kori:

@jasonbskates
Nominated my coach @irokdamic-read our story once (or twice :) but vote up 2 100x a day so my "inspiration" can win! http://www.octanner.com/olympics/2014/jason-brown/
9:23 AM - 6 Mar 2014
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/441625185016233984

TMC

Record Breaker
http://issuu.com/professionalskatersassociation/docs/marchapril14_dig?e=2323032/6998693#search

Amazing interview with Kori in PS Magazine! And a very nice cover as well :love:

Loved what Kori told she'd said to Jason at the boards before the Nationals LP: "I also told him that the ice was [Jason's] canvas and that he should go out there and paint the kind of picture that we both knew he could and one that he'd want to look at forever"

It's some picture! I think I for one have looked at it about a million times already...and will definitely never tire of it!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
http://instagram.com/p/lN0MkITXJr/

jasonbskates
8 hours ago
#tbt to our Middle School Musical! Can you find me?!? Hint...I'm wearing a wig! Hahah #NorthwoodJrHigh #byebyebirdie #schoolmusical

What a riot! A performer even back then! And the wig!!

Also, thanks Doris for moving the Jason goes viral posts to here!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Which one is he? I'm not sure.

Why, the supercool young man in the black faux leather charming all the ladies ;)

Whatever this is, it needs to be in exhibition format. RIGHT NOW.

merinheart

Rinkside
And today Jason has tweeted a solicitation for votes for the inspiring Kori:

@jasonbskates
Nominated my coach @irokdamic-read our story once (or twice :) but vote up 2 100x a day so my "inspiration" can win! http://www.octanner.com/olympics/2014/jason-brown/
9:23 AM - 6 Mar 2014
https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/441625185016233984

Since Jason's tweet, there's been a huge bump to his vote totals. Great to see. I remember voting a week ago when it was still in the low thousands and now it's up to 57k and counting! I think the highest vote-getter has more than 300k votes but I believe the contest allows for multiple winners and there are several contestants who are at around 100k so far. At this current pace I think Jason & Kori should pass 100k pretty easily and I hope that'll be enough for Kori to get her Inspiration Award. Wondering if I or someone else should create a separate thread on the main board about her nomination? Not everyone follows twitter or comes to this thread so I'm not sure if many people are aware of this contest going on.

Anyway, the local Colorado news did a nice follow-up on Jason a few days ago:

Olympic Figure Skater Jason Brown returns home with more than a medal

Looks like he's still training in Monument instead of at Colorado Springs as earlier reports may have suggested. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Since Jason's tweet, there's been a huge bump to his vote totals. Great to see. I remember voting a week ago when it was still in the low thousands and now it's up to 57k and counting! I think the highest vote-getter has more than 300k votes but I believe the contest allows for multiple winners and there are several contestants who are at around 100k so far. At this current pace I think Jason & Kori should pass 100k pretty easily and I hope that'll be enough for Kori to get her Inspiration Award. Wondering if I or someone else should create a separate thread on the main board about her nomination? Not everyone follows twitter or comes to this thread so I'm not sure if many people are aware of this contest going on ....

And yesterday USFS tweeted a request for votes. :)

In any case, I highly recommend reading Jason's profound essay at the link above, even for those who for whatever reason are not interested in voting.
(For anyone who is wondering: Voting is free and does not require signing in to anything or making any kind of account. Nothing like that. Just clicking on a button.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Anyway, the local Colorado news did a nice follow-up on Jason a few days ago:

Olympic Figure Skater Jason Brown returns home with more than a medal

Looks like he's still training in Monument instead of at Colorado Springs as earlier reports may have suggested. :)

Totally OT, but I thought there were some well structured shots in that video! I like that the videographer (or the reporter, not sure if station has the luxury of a separate videographer; though I think Colorado Springs is a big enough market to have one...) varied up the talking head shots so it's not just Jason's face close up. I liked the set up for the live shot, where they pan Jason doing a 3F-3T (a nice one too!) before they get to the reporter doing her bit. I'm usually not a fan of excessive panning, but it works here.

And lots of pop sound!

Sorry I'm being a nerd. I'm learning to shoot video as part of my job, so I love seeing good examples of good videography.

So he mentioned something about "getting new programs..." So it does sound like he's starting some work for next season...exciting!

merinheart

Rinkside
Totally OT, but I thought there were some well structured shots in that video! I like that the videographer (or the reporter, not sure if station has the luxury of a separate videographer; though I think Colorado Springs is a big enough market to have one...) varied up the talking head shots so it's not just Jason's face close up. I liked the set up for the live shot, where they pan Jason doing a 3F-3T (a nice one too!) before they get to the reporter doing her bit. I'm usually not a fan of excessive panning, but it works here.

And lots of pop sound!

Sorry I'm being a nerd. I'm learning to shoot video as part of my job, so I love seeing good examples of good videography.

So he mentioned something about "getting new programs..." So it does sound like he's starting some work for next season...exciting!

Speaking of camera shots, I loved all the slo-mo, alternate shots of Jason's Prince program in this video interview on the NBC Olympics site. I wish they released a full version. I didn't like the camera angles NBC used during the live feed of his Olympics SP. It seemed off to me and they even zoomed away from his little chest/hip thrust move at the end, grr. :scowl:

And I can't find it now but Jason mentioned in another interview that his plan was to add the quad for next season. So new programs + quad(s)? Exciting, indeed!! :biggrin:

PS - Thanks Mrs. P for creating that "Happy International Women" thread. I missed it earlier and just saw that you gave a nice shoutout to Jason and his nomination of Kori there.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Keep Voting. 91,000+ Votes and climbing.

Looks like Jason is currently third behind Nick Baumgartner (snowboarder) and Eddy Alvarez (speed skater) with 107,000+ votes. Lots of people voting yay!

merinheart

Rinkside
Jason's actually in 4th place at the moment. Currently it's Nick Baumgartner (336k), Eddy Alvarez (145k) and Curt Tomasevicz (132k). I think only the top 3 gets the award so Jason's still about 20,000+ votes away. He's moving up quickly though!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason's actually in 4th place at the moment. Currently it's Nick Baumgartner (336k), Eddy Alvarez (145k) and Curt Tomasevicz (132k). I think only the top 3 gets the award so Jason's still about 20,000+ votes away. He's moving up quickly though!

The gap is narrowing between Curt Tomasevicz (now at 138k) and Jason (132k).