Jason Brown | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
As an aside, also an interesting case of how social media is trumping traditional media.

Gracie Gold was on the Today show this morning, and AFAIK, no one on GS has mentioned her appearance. Jason is the "it" Team USA skater of the moment -- and perhaps straight thru the Olympics ... and then ???

(BTW, I mentioned in another thread that Jason also had been a trending Twitter topic on Sunday b/c of his FS. Very cool. :cool:)

Indeed!

Also, I just got an email notice from Mashable that they predict that its post on Jason is going to go viral. :biggrin: So far there has been 9,800 shares of the post so far, far outranking most of the stories on the website.

Never in my wildest dreams would I expect this to happen. As a fan, I am absolutely thrilled that he is getting so much attention and praise.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Oh no! That's a heavy impact. :eek: Yep, that car is completely totalled. There's a bent chassis rail in there and that's the end of that. I'm not sure how American car insurance works, but surely he'll be at least partially covered because of the crazy weather?

Oh Jason. Be careful!

(On the flip side, maybe he'll make the Olympic team and make everyone fall in love with him so much he'll get a car sponsorship? ;) )

Hey, karne, the first part and second parts of your vision for Jason have come true -- making the team and making everyone fall in love with him. :)
So the car sponsorship could come true too.

emma

Record Breaker
Haha, yes you were! But if I can't be a founding member of the "I was a uber fan of Jason Brown before he went viral" club, I'd at least like charter membership. :)

I want to join the "i was an umber before..." club!

Wait til Joshua Farris gets the right program as well...

I am SO looking forward to the next quad with those two.

I know, these guys are super special. I loved Farris' LP...but yeah, great programs and NO injuries, please :)

Zamboni

On the Ice
He's so thrilled on Twitter!

"AAAHHHHH! First time wearing any sort of clothing with the Olympic Rings on them!! What is happening?!"

"The support & love is more than I could have ever asked 4! I've read all the messages & I'm doing my best to respond! This is all 2 surreal!"

https://twitter.com/jasonbskates

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Indeed!

Also, I just got an email notice from Mashable that they predict that its post on Jason is going to go viral. :biggrin: So far there has been 9,800 shares of the post so far, far outranking most of the stories on the website.

Never in my wildest dreams would I expect this to happen. As a fan, I am absolutely thrilled that he is getting so much attention and praise.

I forgot to say in my post above that something about Jason's personality is much more (in a good way) Everyman/woman (Everyperson??) than Abbott's or Gold's is (IMHO), and part of Jason's popularity can be chalked up to that advantage, I think.
Regardless, the power of social media is definitely at work here. And to think that Jason himself has been on Twitter only since the spring.

ranjake

Final Flight
It showed up today on the "Downton Abbey" discussion group I follow on FB- and everyone loved it :)

GF2445

Record Breaker
I'm so excited that Jason Brown and figure skating in North America in general is getting a relatively large whirlwind of attention. Ride this wave while it lasts!

samson

Medalist
And now his article is the most popular article on buzzfeed! On youtube he's up to 848,733 views, so it basically doubled over the day. Good for him!

ForeverFish

Medalist
I'm so delighted to hear this. He delivered the most electrifying and impressive free-skate of all of Nationals, and that exhibition program is simply hilarious. :laugh:

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I hope he doesn't let this hype get to him. If he were still in Chicago I'd recommend some sports psychologists...

Trewyn

Medalist
I had tears in my eyes after watching that performance. Incredible. Met Jason at TEB - he's also super kind to his fans. I also love his SP. Yes I'm thrilled he's going to the olympics with Jeremy :D

Orange Cat

On the Ice
I just saw the buzzfeed video of Jason's FS linked on facebook by some of my Australian relatives, who are definitely not skating ubers or even skating fans!! Exciting stuff. Jason is fabulous. I think America's been trying to hype up their ladies to make another Kwan, or someone as marketable as Kwan, so much so that they've overlooked Jason. He could be where the skating revival starts (at least in America, there's no skating revival necessary in, say, Japan).

He has a really special quality and fabulous performing skills, and he's been successfully upping the technical difficulty of his skating over the years, and I (somewhat superficially) feel like ordering an "I was a Jason fan before 2014" shirt now :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I just saw the buzzfeed video of Jason's FS linked on facebook by some of my Australian relatives, who are definitely not skating ubers or even skating fans!! Exciting stuff. Jason is fabulous. I think America's been trying to hype up their ladies to make another Kwan, or someone as marketable as Kwan, so much so that they've overlooked Jason. He could be where the skating revival starts (at least in America, there's no skating revival necessary in, say, Japan).

He has a really special quality and fabulous performing skills, and he's been successfully upping the technical difficulty of his skating over the years, and I (somewhat superficially) feel like ordering an "I was a Jason fan before 2014" shirt now :laugh:

I totally want that t-shirt! We should get some made. :)

And The video is officially at over 1 million views!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I hope he doesn't let this hype get to him. If he were still in Chicago I'd recommend some sports psychologists...

He'll be all right. They already had that moment at Skate America, remember? He was being hyped after the short, had an uncharacteristically bad long (by his standards) and then recovered to handle the pressure much better at TEB a few weeks later.

I totally want that t-shirt! We should get some made. :)

And The video is officially at over 1 million views!

I will buy it! :D

Over a million. I can hardly believe it. I'll bet it hits Australian media soon.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hey, karne, the first part and second parts of your vision for Jason have come true -- making the team and making everyone fall in love with him. :)
So the car sponsorship could come true too.

Oh my god I'd forgotten all about this :laugh: