Jason Brown | Page 100 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Another group photo with Jason from the USG weekend.

Probably not coincidentally, the headquarters of USG are in Chicago, and it was the sponsor of the Building Dreams award that Kori won after Sochi.

A brief general blurb about the USG visit to Colorado Springs over the weekend:

... Glad to be of help; you know as a PK that academics are more than happy when someone shows some interest in their subject....

Does PK = professor kid? (If so, I was another, although this lingo is new to me. :laugh:)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another group photo with Jason from the USG weekend.

Probably not coincidentally, the headquarters of USG are in Chicago, and it was the sponsor of the Building Dreams award that Kori won after Sochi.

A brief general blurb about the USG visit to Colorado Springs over the weekend:

Does PK = professor kid? (If so, I was another, although this lingo is new to me. :laugh:)

Thx again for the great photos, golden. "PK" originally referred to Preacher's Kid, I believe, but I am adapting to Professor's Kid. Glad to see so many here.

Like Stitch Monkey, I am looking forward to the reaction to "Juke" in Chicago. I hope it is as raucous as I would like it to be .... like a juke joint.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Like Stitch Monkey, I am looking forward to the reaction to "Juke" in Chicago. I hope it is as raucous as I would like it to be .... like a juke joint.

I am just hoping he can hear his music start! Lately my illogical fear/wonder point has been what happens if the audience does not shut up enough for a skater to hear their first note? Do they instruct the audience to shut up, or is that just an evolved courtesy that usually works? Do they get a late start penalty if they are ready but the crowd is not? I mean I would think they would want to judges to hear the music too.

I want to see what they are saying too, random yells, or will they get a recognizable chant going. It be pretty awesome to hear an entire arena of largely adults intelligible chanting "pony power" :popcorn:

Also, I have been debating posting this, but is it just me or is Konstantin Menshov giving Jason some Maroney eyes on the podium? Hard to not take it as a little bit flattering when you the one others want to be.

LRK

Record Breaker
What are "Maroney eyes"? Just curious as I don't think I've ever heard the expression before... ?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What are "Maroney eyes"? Just curious as I don't think I've ever heard the expression before... ?

Don't want you to get the wrong idea re Maroney :), LRK:

Who/what McKayla Maroney was "not impressed" with were herself and her own underperformance in the individual vault competition in 2012.
She was not unhappy with anyone except herself. She gave frank comments at the time along the lines of (I'm paraphrasing), "I fell on my rear end, so obviously I did not deserve the gold."

Maroney was a good sport about her facial expression going viral, and laughed about it along with everyone else.
Even President Obama wanted to get in on the fun when Maroney visited the White House.
The White House caption from the link below:
November 15, 2012
"The President had just met with the U.S. Olympics gymnastics team, who because of a previous commitment had missed the ceremony earlier in the year with the entire U.S. Olympic team. The President suggested to McKayla Maroney that they recreate her 'not impressed' photograph before they departed." (Official White House Photo by Pete Souza)

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks for the answers everyone!

@golden - that's a great photo with President Obama - made me laugh. :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Maroney showed us all how to laugh at yourself with your public rather than get defensive. Athletes are human, they will show emotions at times, she handled it well and is a great example of stuff happens move on. She can say it was about her own performance all she wants, but realistically she would not likely have had the same expression with a gold (may have had a different not impressed face) medal around her neck. I assure everyone that comparing Konstantin to Maroney was not intended as an insult to either of them. If i wanted to start crap and attack Konstantin I would not compare him to someone beloved.

I mostly just thought some of his expressions, and the fact that they are not just brief moments, and happen more the once, were giggle worthy and yes they do remind me of "not impressed". This was meant as playful teasing on a friendly level, not a suggestion for more media training or that he owes anyone an apology, or that he was wrong. Yeah he showed some emotions, he also smiled politely for the camera and never crossed any lines into rude or unprofessional. I can deal with some humanity on athletes showing through, this to me is an example of deserving of friendly poking and teasing but nothing more.

Would saying his expression looks like that of a cat in a costume work better?

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think my favorite is the one from Bombard last year (2013). Both when they call his name to skate out and later when he gets his medal after the anthem, the crowd is clearly much more enthusiastic about Jason than the gold and silver medalists. As a reminder, it was Chan and Hanyu that beat him. (also at the end a little over 8.5 minutes in, I think he can be seen putting the medal around Kori's neck, so sweet)

Thanks for the link, StitchMonkey. You were right about the Paris crowd. They loved Jason! :love: :agree:

Thanks as well, alabhaois for the recent Jason links. :)

I posted a link to a new Jason article from icenetwork in the State of the U.S. Men 2014-2015 thread but am reposting it here for Jason fans who don't visit that thread:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2014/10/16/98615658

alabhaois

On the Ice
Thanks, katmari, for the great article that you reposted here-- lots of good info and some very exciting stuff!!
I didn't realize Jason was working on his quad Salchow and quad toe-- good to hear.

:agree::)

Does anyone know when Jason & family moved to Illinois from Los Angeles? Was he a baby? Just curious.

Have a great weekend, all!!
:)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks, katmari, for the great article that you reposted here-- lots of good info and some very exciting stuff!!
I didn't realize Jason was working on his quad Salchow and quad toe-- good to hear.

:agree::)

Does anyone know when Jason & family moved to Illinois from Los Angeles? Was he a baby? Just curious.

Have a great weekend, all!!
:)

I don't know when they moved, but I do know that at least one commentator on a vid I saw said that Jason was from LA (forget which competition, but I remember the commentator was British, Los Ang-e-leez). No reason that they should have been following Jason all that closely, but reported birthplace does not equal = from.
(Although this does mean that Jason's passport will say California, which I find amusing. Spousal unit's passport says Missouri, where he spent all of the first two months of his life. It does follow you around. :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
IIRC, he was only two or three when the move happened - it was not long after they arrived in Chicago that his sister was invited to a skating birthday party, little weeny Jason wanted to do everything his sister did, and it all began...

(Now you're going to ask me how I know that, and I know he mentioned it in an interview....I think it was one of the Michael Buckley ones from Nationals?)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
IIRC, he was only two or three when the move happened - it was not long after they arrived in Chicago that his sister was invited to a skating birthday party, little weeny Jason wanted to do everything his sister did, and it all began...

(Now you're going to ask me how I know that, and I know he mentioned it in an interview....I think it was one of the Michael Buckley ones from Nationals?)

He also talks about it in his Arsenio a bit. It is extra cute because Arsenio sorta breaks interviewer mode and call the sister by name during the interview. Jason never said her name, so really the interviewer should not assume the audience knows how it is, but he does, so he just says what is natural.

TMC

Record Breaker
He also talks about it in his Arsenio a bit. It is extra cute because Arsenio sorta breaks interviewer mode and call the sister by name during the interview. Jason never said her name, so really the interviewer should not assume the audience knows how it is, but he does, so he just says what is natural.

That was funny & sweet :laugh:

In fact, Arsenio had done a Conanesque bit with Jordan when she was doing an internship with Arsenio, so viewers who had watched every episode might have made the connection :biggrin:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... In fact, Arsenio had done a Conanesque bit with Jordan when she was doing an internship with Arsenio, so viewers who had watched every episode might have made the connection :biggrin:

Arsenio's History With Intern Jordan (2:16 video)
One of Arsenio's interns, Jordan, has quite the connection to Arsenio's original show: she was featured on it before she was born! Her mother was the executive producer of the show while pregnant, and Arsenio even put a newborn Jordan on the show. Now Arsenio's good luck charm is back -- but this time she's fetching coffee.
http://on.aol.com/video/arsenios-history-with-intern-jordan-517922791 (Sep 5, 2013)​

Arsenio Hall Reveals His Surprising Connection to His New Intern (text article)

(Both the video and article will be enjoyable for fans of the Brown family, IMO. No mention or image of Jason in either, FYI.)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Arsenio's History With Intern Jordan (2:16 video)
One of Arsenio's interns, Jordan, has quite the connection to Arsenio's original show: she was featured on it before she was born! Her mother was the executive producer of the show while pregnant, and Arsenio even put a newborn Jordan on the show. Now Arsenio's good luck charm is back -- but this time she's fetching coffee.
http://on.aol.com/video/arsenios-history-with-intern-jordan-517922791 (Sep 5, 2013)​

Arsenio Hall Reveals His Surprising Connection to His New Intern (text article)

(Both the video and article will be enjoyable for fans of the Brown family, IMO. Disclaimer: no mention or image of Jason in either.)

Her mannerisms and inflections are so reminiscent to Jason's! I want to see them together, I bet it is adorable!

I actually like that Jason was not mentioned. He does not need to always be mentioned, let others have their attention. Makes me respect Arsenio more.