Jason Brown | Page 115 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Sounds like the Midwestern sectionals in Chicago this year had some great skates; so jealous:biggrin:

OT but yes, I am really rooting for all 3 of those guys. There were also a lot of nerves in evidence with other skaters, and some choreography that really made me scratch my head & go why? Why?

Since you live in the East, maybe you could attend nationals? It's quite amazing to see things live.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OT but yes, I am really rooting for all 3 of those guys. There were also a lot of nerves in evidence with other skaters, and some choreography that really made me scratch my head & go why? Why?

Since you live in the East, maybe you could attend nationals? It's quite amazing to see things live.

I'm sure competitions are a wonderful event live; I have only seen shows live, and that was way back in the day (as in Torvill & Dean in the early 80s; I think it was Champions on Ice, but I wouldn't swear to it).

However, I won't drive 8 hours for skating, even to see Jason. Now if a nats or sectional ever came to Philadelphia....:cheer:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
He sat a few rows in back of me at the FS. His voice is so distinctive that I didn't even need to turn around to figure out who was cheering MB on! She was quite lovely, by the way, and Jordan & Alexander Johnson were great too.

I finally got to watch Mariah's performance on-demand, and BOY did he yell loudly for her. It was really cute. And it was even better that she turned in such a great performance! I can see she has improved since we saw her at Nebelhorn Trophy. I hope she keeps up the momentum.

Jordan looked better than he did earlier this season.

I'm hoping that nationals and/or Skate America returns to the W. Coast soon. It was really nice having Skate America within driving distance. :)

And for some Jason-related material, I calculated the overall score averages of all the men on the GP -- including their challenger events and it came up with some interesting numbers:

Top 12
Fernandez 254.94 - 2 golds
Machida 253.42 - 1 gold, 1 silver
Mura 245.80 - 1 gold (NHK)
Kovtun 243.35 - 2 gold
Hanyu 237.55 - 1 silver (NHK)
Brown 235.63 - 1 silver, 5th
Ten 230.51 - 1 bronze, 4th
Aaron 228.20 - 1 bronze, 7th
Dornbush 227.80 - 1 bronze, 7th
Voronov 227.72 -1 silver (NHK)
Nguyen 227.80 1 bronze, 4th
Brezina 225.98 1 bronze, 7th

I was surprised to see Jason so high up the list.
Are we missing anyone? Patrick Chan isn't here...but are there others who are out for injury or something?

On the season's best list he is #11. That tells me one thing -- that where he ends up could vary greatly -- he could be final group material or end up out of the top 10.

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I finally got to watch Mariah's performance on-demand, and BOY did he yell loudly for her. It was really cute. And it was even better that she turned in such a great performance! I can see she has improved since we saw her at Nebelhorn Trophy. I hope she keeps up the momentum.

Jordan looked better than he did earlier this season.

I'm hoping that nationals and/or Skate America returns to the W. Coast soon. It was really nice having Skate America within driving distance. :)

And for some Jason-related material, I calculated the overall score averages of all the men on the GP -- including their challenger events and it came up with some interesting numbers:

Top 12
Fernandez 254.94 - 2 golds
Machida 253.42 - 1 gold, 1 silver
Mura 245.80 - 1 gold (NHK)
Kovtun 243.35 - 2 gold
Hanyu 237.55 - 1 silver (NHK)
Brown 235.63 - 1 silver, 5th
Ten 230.51 - 1 bronze, 4th
Aaron 228.20 - 1 bronze, 7th
Dornbush 227.80 - 1 bronze, 7th
Voronov 227.72 -1 silver (NHK)
Nguyen 227.80 1 bronze, 4th
Brezina 225.98 1 bronze, 7th

I was surprised to see Jason so high up the list.
Are we missing anyone? Patrick Chan isn't here...but are there others who are out for injury or something?

On the season's best list he is #11. That tells me one thing -- that where he ends up could vary greatly -- he could be final group material or end up out of the top 10.

Yes I guess it depends on NHK? Josh Farris and Jeremy Abbott could potentially outscore Jason. I guess Jeremy could potentially move ahead of Jason for GPF if he wins & has a really high score.

The thing about Jason is that all 3 of his skates were within a few points of each other. Many of the other guys had wild swings in their results.

ETA he was with his dad at sectionals. Some of that whooping is his dad! I'm sure you will recognize it if you compare to the whooping you often hear for Jason. :laugh:

Last edited:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So I found this Grand Prix standings chart:

http://www.isuresults.com/events/gp2014/gpsmen.htm

and this chart which shows who's at NHK:

http://isuprod.blob.core.windows.net/media/182112/gp_men_updated-nov17.pdf

Right now Jason is 4th out of 6, but Hanyu will undoubtedly move ahead of him. If Mura and Voronov are the other medal winners he's out. Actually, they wouldn't even have to medal for him to be out, but I'm too lazy to calculate exactly how far they could drop & still knock him out.

Well, it's hard to say exactly what Hanyu's status is since I keep reading on his fan page that he just started training again like a few days ago. So there's a possibility he might WD.

Somebody posted a thread on this topic: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?52978-What-NHK-skaters-need-for-GPF

spots taken:
1)Kovtun (30)
2)Fernandez (28)
3)Machida (28)

In at the moment:
4)Brown (20) 469.73
5)Ten (20) 461.02
6)Nguyen (20)

NHK options:
-Mura unlikely to finish lower than 6th here.
-Voronov unlikely to finish lower than 5th here.
-Hanyu unlikely to finish lower than 5th here.
-Jeremy Abbott needs to finish at least 2nd, And have one of the former 3 not show up\have a nightmare

Jason's chances are slim, but nonetheless it's still there. Also, even though Ross Miner and Joshua Farris aren't able to qualify for GPF, they certainly can impact the results and who qualifies.

However the crazy scenario if Hanyu IS at NHK is something like this: Hanyu, Abbott, Farris/ Miner (interchangeable) Voronov, Mura

Then you have a tiebreaker galore with Abbott, Voronov and Mura all at 20 points.

Hanyu would pass Jason due to having more points
Mura would still pass Jason due to winning Skate Canada.
Abbott would have to score 250.41 or higher to pass Jason (which is possible. His PB is 246.35 it's also possible that he won't quite get there)
Voronov would pass Jason with a score of 217.74 or higher (and not getting that score is totally probable given his big swings in scoring)

But that said, I think the only, most realistic scenario of Jason ending up in GPF is if Hanyu WD, either from NHK (and Jeremy Abbott does not win or finish 2nd with a score of 250.41 or higher) or GPF (because Jason will likely end up as the 1st alternate).

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sure competitions are a wonderful event live; I have only seen shows live, and that was way back in the day (as in Torvill & Dean in the early 80s; I think it was Champions on Ice, but I wouldn't swear to it).

However, I won't drive 8 hours for skating, even to see Jason. Now if a nats or sectional ever came to Philadelphia....:cheer:

So I looked up Eastern Sectionals and found out that in 2006 (when I had yet to "re-follow" skating) they were held in my little city. Must have been in the rink two miles from my house. I could have walked.:bang: But since it was Easterns, I would not have seen Jason, even as a novice. Some skaters I have never heard of: Shaun Rogers, Scott Smith, Derrick Delmore, evidently won seniors that year. oy!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well, it's hard to say exactly what Hanyu's status is since I keep reading on his fan page that he just started training again like a few days ago. So there's a possibility he might WD.

Somebody posted a thread on this topic: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?52978-What-NHK-skaters-need-for-GPF

Jason's chances are slim, but nonetheless it's still there. Also, even though Ross Miner and Joshua Farris aren't able to qualify for GPF, they certainly can impact the results and who qualifies.

However the crazy scenario if Hanyu IS at NHK is something like this: Hanyu, Abbott, Farris/ Miner (interchangeable) Voronov, Mura

Then you have a tiebreaker galore with Abbott, Voronov and Mura all at 20 points.

Hanyu would pass Jason due to having more points
Mura would still pass Jason due to winning Skate Canada.
Abbott would have to score 250.41 or higher to pass Jason (which is possible. His PB is 246.35 it's also possible that he won't quite get there)
Voronov would pass Jason with a score of 217.74 or higher (and not getting that score is totally probable given his big swings in scoring)

But that said, I think the only, most realistic scenario of Jason ending up in GPF is if Hanyu WD, either from NHK (and Jeremy Abbott does not win or finish 2nd with a score of 250.41 or higher) or GPF (because Jason will likely end up as the 1st alternate).

NHK should be interesting. I was actually surprised that Jason had even a slim chance - I didn't realize they get points for lower placements, so after Russia I just figured that was it. I wonder if he wants to go. Probably.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
NHK should be interesting. I was actually surprised that Jason had even a slim chance - I didn't realize they get points for lower placements, so after Russia I just figured that was it. I wonder if he wants to go. Probably.

Im sure he wants to go. And I actually think his chance is higher than "slim" I would not be surprised if Hanyu got to NHK but pulls out of the final. NHK is in Japan, Japan nationals are in, well Japan, the final is in Barcelona. Which events do you think the Japanese federation wants Hanyu at the most? Sadly, I could easily see him beating his poor body up at NHK for the money/duty aspect (please note that is not a dig at him, I respect people with good work ethics and that want to fulfill their promises - wanted to do well for his federation is an honorable sentiment) then hopefully taking the time to heal before nationals later in the month. He can likely do well enough to do ok on home turf (i.e. good enough to medal but maybe not win), but may not be 100% up for the final which is only two weeks later. And something tells me Hanyu at nationals would make Japan figure skating more money than Hanyu at the final, so they may be pretty happy if things played out that way.

If Voronov is sixth or lower (Same with Hanyu but less likely) Jason will be in even with Hanyu, unless Abbot decides confuse us all. On the plus side if Abbot does beat Jason, it will be because of a competition of his life situation which is hard to ever be sad about.

I just wonder how he would fair and how it would look. If five quad kings skate clean and well, Jason might be left in the dust. The sad thing is Jason could in theory go in, get three personal bests (SP, FS and total), still be in last and come out looking worse for it in some eyes. Some people would only see the last placement and think it means something and ignore how well he did. I hate the idea of him going into nationals with "did not medal at the GPF" being used as a catty strike against him. His lack of a quad could just be more noticeable at this competition.

Then again didn't he land his first 3A at the GPF? Maybe he could keep up a pattern.

Does anyone know what the latest someone can withdraw and still have an alternate crop up to fill in?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I believe he did the 3A at the JGP final, not sure if that was first. He did very good ones at 2013 JWC. He has not been to GPF before.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Im sure he wants to go. And I actually think his chance is higher than "slim" I would not be surprised if Hanyu got to NHK but pulls out of the final. NHK is in Japan, Japan nationals are in, well Japan, the final is in Barcelona. Which events do you think the Japanese federation wants Hanyu at the most? Sadly, I could easily see him beating his poor body up at NHK for the money/duty aspect (please note that is not a dig at him, I respect people with good work ethics and that want to fulfill their promises - wanted to do well for his federation is an honorable sentiment) then hopefully taking the time to heal before nationals later in the month. He can likely do well enough to do ok on home turf (i.e. good enough to medal but maybe not win), but may not be 100% up for the final which is only two weeks later. And something tells me Hanyu at nationals would make Japan figure skating more money than Hanyu at the final, so they may be pretty happy if things played out that way.

If Voronov is sixth or lower (Same with Hanyu but less likely) Jason will be in even with Hanyu, unless Abbot decides confuse us all. On the plus side if Abbot does beat Jason, it will be because of a competition of his life situation which is hard to ever be sad about.

I just wonder how he would fair and how it would look. If five quad kings skate clean and well, Jason might be left in the dust. The sad thing is Jason could in theory go in, get three personal bests (SP, FS and total), still be in last and come out looking worse for it in some eyes. Some people would only see the last placement and think it means something and ignore how well he did. I hate the idea of him going into nationals with "did not medal at the GPF" being used as a catty strike against him. His lack of a quad could just be more noticeable at this competition.

Then again didn't he land his first 3A at the GPF? Maybe he could keep up a pattern.

Does anyone know what the latest someone can withdraw and still have an alternate crop up to fill in?

Maxim Kovtun did a clean FS at Trophee Eric Bompard with two quads and two 3A and scored 166.24. That is with a PCS two points higher than Jason's at Rostelecom and TES of 85.96. Jason scored 159.24 (80.26 TES) at Rostelecom and that was after losing -3.69 in grade of execution from mistakes on the 3Z and 3A. You add that back in and you have 162.93. You get some extra +GOE on those jumps and they're about even.

Kovtun's program is actually highly risky if not executed correctly. Aside from the 2 quads and 2 3As you got 2 triple lutes (one in combo with a -2T), a triple salchow, a triple toe (as part of a 3A-3T). No flip or loop. So let's say he pops one of his quads into a 3S and 3T respectively. He runs into major zayak territory if he ends up doing the 3A-3T and the 3S later in the program. Basically ends up repeating three different triple jumps (axel, salcchow and toe) and one of those jumps will be zeroed out.

Point is Kovtun can do the quads, but his program isn't constructed to get the highest point totals. Kovtun also does not get the top levels or +GOE on his non-jump elements.

If you look at Kovtun's protcals: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra2014/gpfra2014_Men_FS_Scores.pdf

Kovtun's highest elements are his 4S (12.07) 4T (11.30) and 3A-3T (11.60)

Jason's highest elements are: 3Z-1L-3Sx (12.47), 3F-3Tx (11.14) 3A-2T (10.80) (http://www.isuresults.com/results/gprus2014/gprus2014_Men_FS_Scores.pdf)

Point is, if he some how gets into GPF, I think he could actually beat Kovtun.

Fernandez and Machida (when he actually does it) have much better constructed programs, those Fernandez has that zayak issue by including all those salchow jumps. I think Machida will be in better shape than we saw him at TEB.

Mura is more of a question mark. Skate Canada is the absolute best we've seen from him. But earlier in the season he actually lost to Richard Dornbush. We'll have a better idea at NHK if he is a permanent member of the 90+ TES club ( or at least 85+ club).

I believe he did the 3A at the JGP final, not sure if that was first. He did very good ones at 2013 JWC. He has not been to GPF before.

He first attempted them in JGP Turkey, but both 3As were UR.

At JGPF:
He got a ratified one in the SP: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1213/gpf1213_JuniorMen_SP_Scores.pdf
He completed waxeled in the FS: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpf1213/gpf1213_JuniorMen_FS_Scores.pdf

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason was on WGN Morning News this AM: http://wgntv.com/2014/11/25/u-s-oly...-famous-ponytail-and-preparing-for-nationals/

Those morning anchors are a riot.

I guess the most interesting part of it is that he wants to win nationals! And did mention there's a bit more pressure on him now.

Also: http://instagram.com/p/v01Vu9TXNs/?modal=true

jasonbskates
2 hours ago
#Stopdropselfie on my way to @wgnmorningnews!! I'll be on around 9:15 :) Thanks @icegirlash & @karinamanta for nominating me...I nominate @sarris8 @spenny1220 @scott5485!

Love the new glasses!

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Jason was on WGN Morning News this AM: http://wgntv.com/2014/11/25/u-s-oly...-famous-ponytail-and-preparing-for-nationals/

Those morning anchors are a riot.

I guess the most interesting part of it is that he wants to win nationals! And did mention there's a bit more pressure on him now.

Also: http://instagram.com/p/v01Vu9TXNs/?modal=true

jasonbskates
2 hours ago
#Stopdropselfie on my way to @wgnmorningnews!! I'll be on around 9:15 :) Thanks @icegirlash & @karinamanta for nominating me...I nominate @sarris8 @spenny1220 @scott5485!

Love the new glasses!
the interwiew with Jason was fantastic! A very clever and genuine young men with 3 stupid reporters. But the news glasses: NO Jason's style! They are no original, they are boring :( Jason had very nice and orginale glasses. Jason, please, not lose your style!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
the interwiew with Jason was fantastic! A very clever and genuine young men with 3 stupid reporters. But the news glasses: NO Jason's style! They are no original, they are boring :( Jason had very nice and orginale glasses. Jason, please, not lose your style!

100% with you on the glasses. Liked them better before.

The reporters. . . they woman was ok, the other guys were just. . . weird. At one point one of the guys was almost laying back on the other.

He does do will at the interviews though, he is seeming much more comfortable.

Interesting that he did admit he wants that gold in January. . . That poor guy is in for a long four years but hopefully his team knows how to do it right. I think the pace he will have to maintain if he wins this year is exhausting to even think about. Defending a title is almost more stressful than getting it in the first place. I just want to see him get to go to worlds this year personally. But I think that there is a pretty good chance of that happening at least.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Totally in the minority, LOL. I think they're kind of adorable looking. But that's just me. (Also biased because I wear a similar style of glasses).

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Totally in the minority, LOL. I think they're kind of adorable looking. But that's just me. (Also biased because I wear a similar style of glasses).

Need to see a few more photos, but I think I agree. I did not think the old ones were at all flattering. These may be slightly too big for his face, but I like the dark color & strong horizontal lines - they break up the length of his face and put more focus on his eyes.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
100% with you on the glasses. Liked them better before.

The reporters. . . they woman was ok, the other guys were just. . . weird. At one point one of the guys was almost laying back on the other.

He does do will at the interviews though, he is seeming much more comfortable.

Interesting that he did admit he wants that gold in January. . . That poor guy is in for a long four years but hopefully his team knows how to do it right. I think the pace he will have to maintain if he wins this year is exhausting to even think about. Defending a title is almost more stressful than getting it in the first place. I just want to see him get to go to worlds this year personally. But I think that there is a pretty good chance of that happening at least.

I have big problems with my eyes this is the explanation that I am are empathetic with myopic Jason.
But these his new glasses ... a fashion that lasted only a year :( (Jeremy Abbott weared them only for a week for press conferences Sochi) When old glasses were functional and original, and were part of the unique style of Jason. They new are a kind of fashion fugitive :(
Perhaps tips of the new manager?

Last edited:

balletanddancefan

On the Ice
Need to see a few more photos, but I think I agree. I did not think the old ones were at all flattering. These may be slightly too big for his face, but I like the dark color & strong horizontal lines - they break up the length of his face and put more focus on his eyes.
OK, if they are the glasses that Jason held in the car to drive, they are fine. Each myopic person has more glasses that holds near the computer, the television screen or in the car. But if this would be the new look of Jason: I do not like the style.

balletanddancefan

On the Ice