Jason Brown | Page 12 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
And even with all his new found fame, Jason found time to hang out with some cute young ones.

https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/423588243997589504

Jason Brown
‏@jasonbskates
Had the privilege of speaking 2 a CC preschool class! They were such cute kids :) Loved every minute of it! pic.twitter.com/CA0rgJMnJ5
2:51 PM - 15 Jan 2014

So adorable. So now he has the four-year-old set enthralled too, I'm sure.

ETA: By the way, just looked at my daily Mashable email newsletter and their post was No. 2! Can't believe Jason is intersecting with my social media life. :)

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Remember the Lays potato chip commercial, "can't eat just one"? Jason's FS is like that, you can't just watch it once!! I know I have watched it over a dozen times.

I love the crowd reactions. On his final spin, there is a lady in the second row that has the most amazing grin on her face and she is rocking back and forth in her seat. I just love her reaction. To be able to connect with the audience the way Jason does is so very special.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Remember the Lays potato chip commercial, "can't eat just one"? Jason's FS is like that, you can't just watch it once!! I know I have watched it over a dozen times.

I love the crowd reactions. On his final spin, there is a lady in the second row that has the most amazing grin on her face and she is rocking back and forth in her seat. I just love her reaction. To be able to connect with the audience the way Jason does is so very special.

Haha, no kidding! I'm sure I contributed to at least a dozen of those 1.7 million views as well.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I was looking for that video yesterday because it was referenced about him doing quads and he seems like he doesn't want to do them! He's like well its worth a lot of points and you may need it but there was no eagerness to do one. Well I guess being 19 already if he wanted to do them he would be. But winning free skates against men doing two 3a and 2 quads means its pretty irrelevent to him.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't think that's quite right. Kori Ade has said definitely there will be a quad in next year's program. This is exactly the way the 3a went into his program-starts at summer competitions-the strategy is always to be doing programs where he is confident on every skill by the time Worlds/Jr Worlds/Nationals is reached.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
I doubt that they'll add a quad so late in the season. A lack of quad is a bottleneck for his SP's score ceiling but his FS is constructed well enough to mitigate the issue.

I'm curious to see how the quad goes for him during the summer. Jason is much better with his toe jumps than with his edge jumps. If he was a stable enough quad toeloop, he could pull a Chan/Lambiel and take out a triple axel in favor of a quad toeloop.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is my first post here, so be gentle :)

Kori seems to be a very wise coach how she's guided Jason to this point, so I doubt we'll see a quad in Sochi. I'm still amazed he was able to win his free skate at Nationals w/o a quad.

I'm so glad that people outside the skating community are learning his name and seeing his talent and rooting for him to do well at the Olympics. I admit that I'm late to the JB party, I really only "discovered" him during the GP events this season. I actually like his short program better, being a long time Prince fan, and loving the choreography. There's something odd to me about a nice Jewish boy doing an Irish jig on the ice, LOL, but can't deny that he owns that program.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice

Kori seems to be a very wise coach how she's guided Jason to this point, so I doubt we'll see a quad in Sochi. I'm still amazed he was able to win his free skate at Nationals w/o a quad.

I'm so glad that people outside the skating community are learning his name and seeing his talent and rooting for him to do well at the Olympics. I admit that I'm late to the JB party, I really only "discovered" him during the GP events this season. I actually like his short program better, being a long time Prince fan, and loving the choreography. There's something odd to me about a nice Jewish boy doing an Irish jig on the ice, LOL, but can't deny that he owns that program.

Thanks for joining us. It's actually not too unusual for a well-designed program without a quad to beat one with a quad, especially the quad program is flawed. Jason picks up a lot of points for his spins and steps. He also has very difficult entrances and exits for most of his jumps. It also helped that he received very high component scores for his FS.

amusedstranger

Rinkside

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Welcome to Golden Skate! Well you took notice of Jason well before the 1 million people who saw his free skate this week, so you're still ahead of the game. :) Anyway, I hope you'll post more here....:)

Yes, Kori is quite wise. I am just as much a fan girl of Kori Ade as I am of Jason.

I think it's even more interesting to imagine a nice Jewish boy skating to Prince! I really love how much he has improved in that program. When you compare his program now from when he debuted it on the Junior Grand Prix last season, it's so amazing to see how much it's developed over two seasons. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to4kYooOlLo).

Thanks for joining us. It's actually not too unusual for a well-designed program without a quad to beat one with a quad, especially the quad program is flawed. Jason picks up a lot of points for his spins and steps. He also has very difficult entrances and exits for most of his jumps. It also helped that he received very high component scores for his FS.

Yes, people seem to forget he got nearly 85 points for his short program. That is a very good score for a program sans quad. His highest TES was almost 46 points (45.98). Javier, who just won the short program, with a 4S in his SP, at Europeans got 48.54 in TES. The highest TES was by Yuzuru Hanyu at GPF: 54.52.

I think he can score a few extra points in the SP at the Olympics if clean. His GOE at Trophee Eric Bompard was good, but I think he can get a few more +2 (and maybe +3) for some of those elements if he performs the SP as well as at Nationals.

I don't think he'll get the PCS he got at Nationals, but I do think it will go up by a few points (his best PCS mark was 80.12 at TEB) if he skates the FS clean at the Olympics. As I said, I think a 170 FS score is very much possible.

I love his reactions to everything-especially the "I've never had a video with more than 8,000 views!"

Yes, that was pretty awesome. If I had more skill, I totally make an inforgraphic of how the number of views for that video has increased in the last few days. And as of this second, we're at 1.81 million views. I am mad that YouTube doesn't have the rankings/charts anymore because I'm dying to know how it's ranks relative to other videos.

ETA: This site (http://en.videotrine.com/all/youtube/week) states that Jason's FS video is #30 in views for the week worldwide. Not bad, Mr. Brown!

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for the warm welcome and the link to Jason on the JGP, Mrs. P!

You really can see the development - his spins have improved so much and he's overall much more polished (and he's updated the costume a bit!). I heard he got a lot of his musical tastes from hanging out with Arsenio Hall, who's sort of like a godfather to him. Hence the MC Hammer exhibition number :)

I hope Arsenio invites him on his show, either before or after Sochi.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Thanks for the warm welcome and the link to Jason on the JGP, Mrs. P!

You really can see the development - his spins have improved so much and he's overall much more polished (and he's updated the costume a bit!). I heard he got a lot of his musical tastes from hanging out with Arsenio Hall, who's sort of like a godfather to him. Hence the MC Hammer exhibition number :)

I hope Arsenio invites him on his show, either before or after Sochi.

Yes, I did NOT like his original Prince costume. So glad he changed it this season, it better shows his line.

I think a lot of his musical selections is also an influence of choreographer Rohene Ward. I actually think Rohene kind of looks like Prince actually... https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2666155508/18db56d0f2d9600e1ceaea2a7b4d5ddd.jpeg

But thought I enjoy the improved Prince program, my actual all-time favorite Jason Brown SP is actually this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2H-dV6aww4

And I hope he gets on Arsenio too! Whoop whoop!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This is my first post here, so be gentle :) ... There's something odd to me about a nice Jewish boy doing an Irish jig on the ice, LOL, but can't deny that he owns that program.

Welcome, apgold. :)
Friendly reply: Jason skating to Riverdance is no odder than Davis/White skating their Bollywood OD in 2009-10, LOL. ;)

samson

Medalist
Wow it's really nice to watch those old programs and you see his natural talents and performance are just so present in his skating, and yet you also get to see how he's grown as a skater.

His programs now are so many more transitions and movement between and to the music. His jumps are higher and more impressive, his spin positions are better, and he's managed to grow in his performance level and the authenticity of his skating. What a treat to see!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Jason is going to be On Point, the public radio show broadcasted by WBUR in Boston, tomorrow!

http://onpoint.wbur.org/2014/01/17/sochi-2014-mikaela-shiffrin-jason-brown

On Point is syndicated on public radio stations across the country, which means chances are you can hear Jason on your radio!

On Point is a roundtable show that focuses on a specific topic, in this case the issue the politics of the Winter Olympics. I'd be interested to hear Jason's thoughts on the matter.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And now he's on Mashable! Every social media saavy friend I know reads that site. The video is going to hit 1 million views at this rate.

Boy, I feel kind of bad for Jeremy....everyone is so excited for Jason's FS, nobody realized that he actually finished second.

http://mashable.com/2014/01/14/figure-skater-jason-brown/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

And now Mashable has requested an interview with Jason.

I hope the ISU and USFS are taking notice. How can we reverse the skid of popularity of figure skating? Deliver performances like this.

1. Jason Brown did not fall down. I am going to write a song about. The IJS doesn't care whether skaters stay on their feet or not, but the audience does.

2. Jason did not spend a third of his program stalking quads. (Well, maybe a little stalking on the triple Axels. ;) ) I haven't been this excited about a skating performance since pre-quad Patrick Chan.

3. Jason, Jason, skates from the heart. (The second line of my song. :) ) This performance was totally in a different class from high-scoring men's programs that we have seen all season.

IMHO our most urgent need is to stop pretending that figure skating is just a sport like other sports. It is sport plus performance art. We should start celebrating this fact instead of apologizing for it.

Iscariot

On the Ice
Since i saw his program for the first time I always had in my mind the idea of him at nationals making everyone going nuts about it, glad it came true and also all the exposure and attention he is getting is amazing! only 7k+ for 2 millions