Jason Brown | Page 156 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think we should remember this for next season and do a thread for best spins of the season/competition. Could actually be fun to look at the best scoring individual elements like that. We look at best overall score/TES/PCS.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Yes, that's exactly what I wanted to use these numbers for :biggrin:
And IMO; it was clear he would be ahead, but I was still pleasantly surprised by how much :)

StitchMonkey said:
I think we should remember this for next season and do a thread for best spins of the season/competition. Could actually be fun to look at the best scoring individual elements like that. We look at best overall score/TES/PCS.

Steps also, please! I thought about doing that next too, but it depends on how much procrastination I can afford *cough*

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason's Ex from US Nationals. Remember the men had to skate the EX the same day as their free skate, and had only one practice because who was in and who was out was not yet determined.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=GlPOnXMJcC8

What energy!

At least he was prepared and brought his :p

I don't particularly like this ex (I guess this serves me right for calling for a new one after one-too-many "Can't Touch This"!) but I LOVE his energy in this.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
At least he was prepared and brought his :p

I don't particularly like this ex (I guess this serves me right for calling for a new one after one-too-many "Can't Touch This"!) but I LOVE his energy in this.

He really does seem to enjoy this one. So pure joy and pride on display. I love the chair splits enough that it can't hate the program.

Also note that he still has his T&I Braids in with the pony-tail.

I wonder if we will see a new EX next year. I am kinda thinking we will see a new short and that's it.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I absolutely am thunderstruck that after the intensity of that men's free skate at Nationals, that he could summon up the energy to give a performance like that!!

He is an amazing guy! And in amazing shape as an athlete, too.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I absolutely am thunderstruck that after the intensity of that men's free skate at Nationals, that he could summon up the energy to give a performance like that!!

He is an amazing guy! And in amazing shape as an athlete, too.

I imagine the sheer adrenaline of being the champion would be enough! Perhaps a bit of relief thrown in. I wonder what kind of battery he runs? Lithium-ion? Maybe he's solar powered and his batteries recharge from his sunshine smiles?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I am really rooting for him to skate both programs lights out at Worlds, with or without the 4T. I also hope he feels joy, not pressure, when he skates. It would be great if he could set new PBs in both programs. The jump in his PB for the FS at 4CC was pretty big, so it will be interesting to see if he continues to be scored in that range. I'm really curious as to whether that jump came because he skated it so much better than he had to date, if he got bonus points for being US champion, or if 4CC scoring was just somewhat inflated.

I actually love this EX, surprisingly enough. Even more surprisingly, Juke is starting to grow on me - he's finally really dancing it and having fun with it in a way he didn't earlier in the season.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It took a second year for his Prince SP to really develop, so I am hoping Worlds will be his best "Juke."

I love how most of his jumps land on the beat.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thx Li'Kitsu for the stats. Were you and Mrs. P separated at birth?:laugh2: as Doris said, they will be great to wield for the Jason nay-sayers in other threads.

I watch Cotton Eyed Joe with the sound muted; only way I can watch it. But Jason is as much a showstopper as ever. I remember reading in another post that the poster thought Jason was rude for not getting off the ice for the Zamboni, and here he was just trying to make sure all was right for the audience.:cheer:

And I surely hope Juke returns, I know I'm alone in thinking it is sophisticated, but I would love to see it next year. Plus if Jason is practicing the quad for Juke, that would support a return...

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Thx Li'Kitsu for the stats. Were you and Mrs. P separated at birth?:laugh2:

Not that I know of - maybe more of a form of Jason-mediated statistic twins? ;)

And I surely hope Juke returns, I know I'm alone in thinking it is sophisticated, but I would love to see it next year. Plus if Jason is practicing the quad for Juke, that would support a return...

You are not - I like Juke too and I'd be happy if he kept it for another season :)

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Also, I find it amusing that Jason is again an underdog (if predictions are any indication). I sort of think that Jason may surprise people again at Worlds.

I think that you are right that Jason does better with a little less attention and focus on him. I also would not be surprised if there is a ego in there somewhere that does not like being seen as an underdog, and has maybe lit a bit of a fire under him.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I totally think some - even many - people have written Jason off as a result of his quad at 4CCs and Josh's strong showings at Nats & 4CCs. I'm sure that at least in part that's a reaction to the many people who predicted that he'd win a silver or bronze at 4CCs and then got burned. ;)

While I'm really happy that Josh has made such strides-he's become a much more interesting performer- I can't help but think it must be a bit hard for Jason to have put so much work into improving & actually winning Nats, and then to immediately have to face criticism about the "legitimacy" of his win.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
The nature of the sport. People are fickle and trade loyalties very easily and quickly. Frankly, Jason and all of team Koro should have expected catty crap to pop up as soon as he won as that is just the way it is. Quad or no quad, people are going to snark at the man on top.

Honest I think the sudden uber support for Josh might be too soon and might not be good for him. Some day his is going to fall again. Ice is slippery, most like both Josh and Jason will have bad skates in their future. My fear is that the first time Josh does not skate well, people will be just as quick to write him off as they were to jump on his bandwagon. That sucks for Josh.

Really Josh and Jason should pay little heed to the fair weather fans. They will like where the breeze blows regardless of anything else. Let them scatter when you have a bad skate, they will flock back when the breeze blows your way.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Yes StitchMonkey. I think you're right!

Those guys hopefully let it roll off their backs and just use it as motivation.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
The good part about this is that I think both Jason and Josh are very level-headed, and know very well how the whole merry-go-round with the fair weather fans works. Figure skating fans have bad memory in huge parts, but the skaters don't - both of them already know what it's like to be hyped and what it's like to be written of I'm sure.
For this worlds, Jason will be fine. Yes, I think he's more of a dark horse now, but he is the national champion and that should give him the confidence to go into worlds knowing he can surprise people again. Maybe the fandom as a whole, the news or whatever isn't giving him much attention right now, but the audience will the second he gets onto the ice, because that's what you do when your the audience and it's Jason out there. And that's what counts.
(Also, I think it helps that Jason is probably uber-super-mega-happy for Josh ;) )

As for Josh: the bandwagoners will very likely turn on him once he has a bad skate, or even if he skates well and beats other favorites or skates well and still doesn't live up to some weird unrealistic expectations. But he also has good coaches that will support him and a strong fan base, that's going to defend him just like everyone here did for Jason at Nats and 4CC. I'm sure he knows that :)

LRK

Record Breaker
The nature of the sport. People are fickle and trade loyalties very easily and quickly. Frankly, Jason and all of team Koro should have expected catty crap to pop up as soon as he won as that is just the way it is. Quad or no quad, people are going to snark at the man on top.

Honest I think the sudden uber support for Josh might be too soon and might not be good for him. Some day his is going to fall again. Ice is slippery, most like both Josh and Jason will have bad skates in their future. My fear is that the first time Josh does not skate well, people will be just as quick to write him off as they were to jump on his bandwagon. That sucks for Josh.

Really Josh and Jason should pay little heed to the fair weather fans. They will like where the breeze blows regardless of anything else. Let them scatter when you have a bad skate, they will flock back when the breeze blows your way.

Hopefully they don't. Their true fans will always stick by them - through thick & thin. "Public opinion" is a fickle thing indeed, and is very much a fashion fad - and can change very quickly. And very quickly indeed it seems, these days. Just look at Adam. (shrug) Indeed, I cannot say that I much regard it any more - if ever I did, which I'm not sure about.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Also Jason has acknowledged that he's come up on top among a really deep U.S. men's field. I think Jason knows better than anyone that he's not always going to to beat everyone all the time. I think he cares more about how he skates and less about how people will perceive him for that performance.

The quad attempt, for example, may have been considered a failure for fans, but for him, it was a big step in his development.

I realize more and more that athletes think differently than fans....so I'm trying to think from that lens.