Jason Brown | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
NBC's fluff before they go primetime at 8: Jason says he lost ~12 pounds because of the movement in his program. Regarding his costume: "They had to keep taking it in and taking it in"

12 pounds?! How the heck....does that boy even have room to lose 12 pounds?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

"This content is currently unavailable" :cry:

NBC's fluff before they go primetime at 8: Jason says he lost ~12 pounds because of the movement in his program. Regarding his costume: "They had to keep taking it in and taking it in"

:cry: I've been worrying about this all season, I thought he looked so horribly skinny up top especially, in his arms. I thought I was being paranoid. Oh Jason.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
"This content is currently unavailable" :cry:

:cry: I've been worrying about this all season, I thought he looked so horribly skinny up top especially, in his arms. I thought I was being paranoid. Oh Jason.

I wouldn't worry too much. It's not like he has an eating disorder. He eats pretty decently, lol. He likes bacon. It's just because of the skating and the exercise.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wouldn't worry too much. It's not like he has an eating disorder. He eats pretty decently, lol. He likes bacon. It's just because of the skating and the exercise.

I'm not worried either. I'm just thinking, logistically, how the boy can lose 12 pounds. I mean he's pretty skinny already!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

I'm not worried either. I'm just thinking, logistically, how the boy can lose 12 pounds. I mean he's pretty skinny already!

Feel better, Mrs. P.

Off-topic question for "puppy girl" ;), aka Chem66, re the same Olympic Zone piece by Belbin about costumes:

How many crystals did Zhang's (male) coach glue to her costume? The order of magnitude boggled my mind, but now I've already forgotten what the number was. Five hundred??

And Mrs. P, I too was surprised about Jason and the twelve pounds. Also surprising was that the NBC piece mentioned it almost as a throwaway line ... in very offhand fashion. :eek:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Feel better, Mrs. P.

Off-topic question for "puppy girl" ;), aka Chem66, re the same Olympic Zone piece by Belbin about costumes:

[/INDENT]How many crystals did Zhang's (male) coach glue to her costume? The order of magnitude boggled my mind, but now I've already forgotten what the number was. Five hundred??

And Mrs. P, I too was surprised about Jason and the twelve pounds. Also surprising was that the NBC piece mentioned it almost as a throwaway line ... in very offhand fashion. :eek:[/INDENT]

...A lot? I didn't pay attention to the exact number lol

salander

Spectator
does anyone have a video of Jason's SP? I have access to the nbcolympics stream, but I can't seem to fast forward to the parts I want to watch!

TMC

Record Breaker
I can't believe what just happened...my husband came home from work & I handed him the tv remote: "Here, the Finland-Norway hockey match is on in 5 minutes". Him: "That's ok, I think I'm gonna watch figure skating on my laptop".

WHAAAAAAAAT???

On top of it all, we're Finnish and hockey is like the only sport we're good at & the only one he usually watches :biggrin:

(I'm not watching the skating live - way too nervous)

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
It looks like his performance is headed to the 4,000,000 mark w/3,960,890 at 3:20pm central time on February 14, 2014.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I wish he had been able to skate Riverdance that well at Sochi, but at least he had a PB and one of 5 clean SPs of 30 performed. I hope he gets to go to Worlds.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I wish he had been able to skate Riverdance that well at Sochi, but at least he had a PB and one of 5 clean SPs of 30 performed. I hope he gets to go to Worlds.

I think he did well for his first major international competition. Next quad the moon?

While would have been nice to repeat his Nationals performance, but at least it wasn't a complete meltdown, a la Laëtitia Hubert from '92. He continued to perform, perform until the very end (it's something that Robin Cousins noted; he noted he STILL enjoyed the performance despite the mistakes).

As I said in the Men's Free Skate thread, I think part of it is getting used to his new role. He's always been sort of a dark horse, the guy that doesn't have the technical content but can wow with other stuff/consistency. When you think about his major victories in his career, they came when he wasn't necessarily the favorite. He won the JGPF in 2011 when Han Yan did poorly. Although Joshua Farris won Jr. Worlds last year it was Jason who won the free skate. And of course this year's nationals when Jeremy won the competition, but he came in and wowed everybody (and in that competition he was one of several men who could have gotten the spot).

He sort of had a taste of that at Skate America when he was second in the SP. Same thing happened in the free skate. But the Olympics is a whole new bag and if his goal was to get top 10, getting sixth in the SP and to skate in the final group I bet is overwhelming!

I'm sure Kori, in her infinite wisdom, will process all this with Jason later. My hope is that she will say, "You had a taste of what it's like to be a contender at the senior international level; now go and be that contender."

And I hope we'll get to see him at Worlds and see the positive results from that lessons he gained at the Olympics. I really want him to get a new PB TES as a senior!

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
Oh, I wish he'd go to worlds. I'd like to see that program skated better and see where it lands him.

Love how he seemed delighted even to finish 9th, though.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh, I wish he'd go to worlds. I'd like to see that program skated better and see where it lands him.

Love how he seemed delighted even to finish 9th, though.

He said afterward his goal was top 10. So I think he thought that perhaps he might be out of contention of reaching that goal. So he reached his personal goal.

I'm with you; I admire Jeremy's grit today, but he really should go out on top and allow Jason a chance to go to Worlds. It seems strange that Jason's season would end on sort of an anti-climatic note.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I read somewhere that Yuka said today that Jeremy is going to Worlds :bang:

Sad for Jason, but sadder for Jeremy. Although not h I s best international result, he did at least not give up on the performance, which has been his usual method of operation. He risks that if he goes to Worlds and bombs he would have a lower note to retire on.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I read somewhere that Yuka said today that Jeremy is going to Worlds :bang:

Sad for Jason, but sadder for Jeremy. Although not h I s best international result, he did at least not give up on the performance, which has been his usual method of operation. He risks that if he goes to Worlds and bombs he would have a lower note to retire on.

Yuka did say that, but Jeremy said after his FS that wasn't definite. He said that he was going to take some time off for the rest of the Olympics and then consider his plans.

As I said, I'm really hoping that he'll agree with all of us that his performance at the Olympics is probably the best he can do and to end on a happy note. (And I also hope that perhaps the USFSA might nudge him a bit too -- that that's doubtful).

Anyone else notice that Jason got over 4 points more PCS today than in the team FS?

Yep. I think it was a bit of a final group bonus, but I think he'll be in the 8s from now on, which is great. I think if nothing else he established a positive rep with the judges, even with the mistakes in the FS today.

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
While would have been nice to repeat his Nationals performance, but at least it wasn't a complete meltdown, a la Laëtitia Hubert from '92. He continued to perform, perform until the very end (it's something that Robin Cousins noted; he noted he STILL enjoyed the performance despite the mistakes).

As I said in the Men's Free Skate thread, I think part of it is getting used to his new role. He's always been sort of a dark horse, the guy that doesn't have the technical content but can wow with other stuff/consistency. When you think about his major victories in his career, they came when he wasn't necessarily the favorite. He won the JGPF in 2011 when Han Yan did poorly. Although Joshua Farris won Jr. Worlds last year it was Jason who won the free skate. And of course this year's nationals when Jeremy won the competition, but he came in and wowed everybody (and in that competition he was one of several men who could have gotten the spot).

He sort of had a taste of that at Skate America when he was second in the SP. Same thing happened in the free skate. But the Olympics is a whole new bag and if his goal was to get top 10, getting sixth in the SP and to skate in the final group I bet is overwhelming!

I'm sure Kori, in her infinite wisdom, will process all this with Jason later. My hope is that she will say, "You had a taste of what it's like to be a contender at the senior international level; now go and be that contender."

And I hope we'll get to see him at Worlds and see the positive results from that lessons he gained at the Olympics. I really want him to get a new PB TES as a senior!

This makes sense. He's got experience coming in from behind. He now has a whole quad to learn how to manage our expectations. Except for those of us in Highland Park--we love him no matter what!