Jason Brown | Page 48 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Chicago Tribune has new Phil Hersh article on Jason:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ason-brown-spt-0427-20140427,0,6787947.column

He's not sure the quad will be ready for primetime this fall. But, at least we can speculate on the mysterious, unnamed piece of music for his free skate, which he thinks might be just as iconic as Riverdance.
To Brown, the best part of the [2013-14] season was the public's enthusiasm for the Riverdance program.

That reaction also left him briefly with a feeling of can-you-top-this angst.

"At the end of the year, I was thinking, 'I don't know if I will ever feel that excitement and thrill of a program again; what will I do next year?''' he said.

Then his choreographer, Rohene Ward, sent the mysterious piece of music that quickly grew on Brown.

"I definitely thought I was going to have a letdown, but this put me back at the same excitement level," he said. "It's completely different from 'Riverdance,' but I feel it can be just as impactful and moving and hopefully just as iconic."

That would really be wild.

[email protected]

Twitter @olyphil

Copyright © 2014 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
print

Last edited by a moderator:

LRK

Record Breaker
@papagena - Thank you so much for copying this! I do so wonder what that music is... I wonder when we will find out?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Mysterious and dramatic.

DARN IT WHAT IS IT I NEED TO KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@papagena - Thank you so much for copying this! I do so wonder what that music is... I wonder when we will find out?

You're welcome!

I am hoping, probably in vain, that he will debut some portion of it at the American Ice Theater show in Chicago (May 31), which I am attending. It's supposed to be an "artistic" event, and both he and Rohene are scheduled to skate so I'm really excited. However, I suppose it's most likely that he'll do what he did in SOI - e.g. either the show version of Riverdance or You Can't Touch This, and that he will debut the new program at one of the summer competitions.....

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Mysterious and dramatic.

DARN IT WHAT IS IT I NEED TO KNOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I thought it was so interesting that he confessed to having a letdown and wondering if he could ever top Riverdance. Talk about pressure on a 19 year old kid!

LRK

Record Breaker
I thought it was so interesting that he confessed to having a letdown and wondering if he could ever top Riverdance. Talk about pressure on a 19 year old kid!

I think he's mentally very strong, though (a trait he has in common with Plushy) - and therefore he can look his fears & doubts in the face... and overcome them. So, I think he may become nervous, and of course that can/will affect his performances... but I don't think he will really let pressure get to him to the extent some do. He learns from his experiences, and grows from them - and becomes better and better. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You're welcome!

I am hoping, probably in vain, that he will debut some portion of it at the American Ice Theater show in Chicago (May 31), which I am attending. It's supposed to be an "artistic" event, and both he and Rohene are scheduled to skate so I'm really excited. However, I suppose it's most likely that he'll do what he did in SOI - e.g. either the show version of Riverdance or You Can't Touch This, and that he will debut the new program at one of the summer competitions.....

It may not be such a vain wish...he did Riverdance for the first time in June last year, and the year before, Liebestraume was debuted at a small comp in May. So it's possible. But they may not want to show the public until he can get scored on it.

I'm more - "Jason? Angsting? Does not compute!" :laugh:

Jokes aside, that is a lot of pressure, and I'm sure there are plenty of people telling him that he won't top it, which never helps.

I think he's mentally very strong, though (a trait he has in common with Plushy) - and therefore he can look his fears & doubts in the face... and overcome them.

The similarities between him and Plushy are quite overwhelming. It makes me think that that was what Plushy saw, when he watched that Riverdance, and introduced himself to Jason at the Olympics...

The iron will and determination.

The steadfast path - no, I will not change coaches, no, I will not rush the quad.

The stunning charisma - here I am, you will not - cannot - look away.

The ability to sell a program - I will make you stand for me!

Heck, Jason's flexibility at 19 is probably better than Plushy's was at 19... ;)

TMC

Record Breaker
Speculation time!

I have a feeling it's going to be Carmina Burana :biggrin:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Have you all seen this?

It is "Springtime," choreographed by Garrett Kling for Challenge 1 of the 2012 Young Artists Showcase, and features lovely skating by Jason (not a lot of spins or jumps, but charming nonetheless). The music is Attaboy from Goat Rodeo, a bluegrass album featuring Yo-Yo Ma and others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PkQ4wymy4

Interestingly, Rohene was a judge for the most recent (2013?) YAS competition, and the show Jason and Rohene are skating in on May 31 in Chicago will feature works by Garrett Kling and other YAS choreographers. Now I'm really curious to see what Jason & Rohene will do!

Edited to add:

Here is a clip of Garrett Kling performing one of his own works, which is quite nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lLSTYiQT6M

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have you all seen this?

It is "Springtime," choreographed by Garrett Kling for Challenge 1 of the 2012 Young Artists Showcase, and features lovely skating by Jason (not a lot of spins or jumps, but charming nonetheless). The music is Attaboy from Goat Rodeo, a bluegrass album featuring Yo-Yo Ma and others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9PkQ4wymy4

Edited to add:

Here is a clip of Garrett Kling performing one of his own works, which is quite nice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lLSTYiQT6M

Verrry interesting; thanks! I will admit, based on my own personal biases (I cannot abide bluegrass, country, C&W as they called it in my day,) I sincerely hope this music is NOT Jason's new LP, but I would still love to see Jason and Rohene in Chicago. Then again, I can't stand Irish music on its own either, and I certainly love Jaosn's Riverdance.

Found a vid of Garrett Kling (whom I do not know) performing to Duke Ellington for AIT. Now Duke Ellington, Jason, and Rohene: a match made in heaven.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Verrry interesting; thanks! I will admit, based on my own personal biases (I cannot abide bluegrass, country, C&W as they called it in my day,) I sincerely hope this music is NOT Jason's new LP, but I would still love to see Jason and Rohene in Chicago. Then again, I can't stand Irish music on its own either, and I certainly love Jaosn's Riverdance.

Found a vid of Garrett Kling (whom I do not know) performing to Duke Ellington for AIT. Now Duke Ellington, Jason, and Rohene: a match made in heaven.
!

I actually love country western and bluegrass, but I'm pretty sure Rohene wouldn't use this particular piece for Jason's long or short program for next season. What I was wondering was whether Jason might perform the Garrett Kling piece at the AIT thing.

Anyway, it will be so interesting to see what they end up doing for the new long and short programs. I think my favorite program to date is A question of U because the choreography is so interesting and he executes it so well, but honestly I'd love to see what they could do with the Tchaikovsky piano trio, the Elgar cello concerto, Britten's Sea Interludes, Falla's El Amor Brujo... but whatever they end up choosing, I'm sure it will be compelling and we won't be disappointed!

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
!

I actually love country western and bluegrass, but I'm pretty sure Rohene wouldn't use this particular piece for Jason's long or short program for next season. What I was wondering was whether Jason might perform the Garrett Kling piece at the AIT thing.

Anyway, it will be so interesting to see what they end up doing for the new long and short programs. I think my favorite program to date is A question of U because the choreography is so interesting and he executes it so well, but honestly I'd love to see what they could do with the Tchaikovsky piano trio, the Elgar cello concerto, Britten's Sea Interludes, Falla's El Amor Brujo... but whatever they end up choosing, I'm sure it will be compelling and we won't be disappointed!

Well, he just might at AIT, and that would be cool. Although I am probably the only person on the planet (I did come late to the party) who still likes the Question of U and Hammertime, and prefers it to the other routines I've seen on Youtube.

On Rohene's Facebook page, he does like a video with "Happy". (Pharrell talking on Oprah). But then, who doesn't?

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also, I forgot to comment ... Elgar, I like it! As for the sea, how about Chopin's Ocean Etude? Oh well, we'll just have to wait...

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
More happiness from Jason (links are not my strong point, but there's always cut and paste in the browser)

http://morningnews.wgntv.com/2014/05/02/olympic-medalist-jason-brown/

Working on that quad every day....

Chicago local TV is a font of Jason videos. Here's another one (with a spin/jump/what is this move? off ice)

[http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Lightning-Round_-Jason-Brown_Chicago-257710661.html

Thanks el henry! I was kind of expecting Jason to name Japan as the country he'd like to visit as I know he's studying Japanese. I imagine the Japanese fans would be enraptured by his skating if ever he goes there in a skating competition or exhibition. Had he been there at Worlds, he would have surely been a crowd favorite.

PS. First link is not working for me here in Korea, but the second link surprisingly did (I was geoblocked from viewing the NBC videos during the Olympics). I use the cut-and-paste method too as to links. ;)

The move looks like the rotations in a jump to me.