Jason Brown | Page 503 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So just to be clear, I was joking about the country shopping. :laugh: Also, while it would be nice to be a Misha or Deniss, I also think that Jason's perfectly capable of being competitive in the deep US field. At his best, he can make world teams and even perhaps go for No. 2. He's still No. 1 in PCS, the judges have made that crystal clear -- and that's without any boost of being U.S. No. 1 or whatever.

Keeping Hamilton has its merits. He can actually keep practicing it by performing it at SOI and then basically put the quad in after the tour's over.

I think in hindsight the fact they kind of piecemealed the Inner Love music made it difficult for Jason to grasp the storyline it from the start. Riverdance was pretty much choreographed and ready to go by Broadmoor Open in June -- it was clear that all people were on board as far as the overall feel/layout of that particular program.

I won't be surprised if they don't come back to it. I think it's a beautiful program and that step sequence is quite memorable, but at this point, there are just too many sad associations with it and I don't think Jason fully believes in that program. That became really clear when he went back to The Piano at 4CC -- it was like night and day.

Last edited:

Ross74

Medalist
Since the FS is so choreographically challenging and was so problematic last season, would it be better for him to set it aside and maybe bring it back in a couple of years, after he’s solidified the jumps? I love the program a lot and would hate to think we’ll never see it fully realized.

My personal preference is for him NOT to keep the FS because it would be 4 years in a row with the same style and very similar music. I'd like to see him do something completely different, maybe something upbeat that the crowd could get involved in, or at least, something that he loves.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
My personal preference is for him NOT to keep the FS because it would be 4 years in a row with the same style and very similar music. I'd like to see him do something completely different, maybe something upbeat that the crowd could get involved in, or at least, something that he loves.

I get it, and I agree with Mrs P’s observations about the bad associations with Inner Love. But I would not like to see another program like Hamilton, either, especially if he keeps Hamilton.

I must sound like a broken record, but I’d love to see him do a Latin program that emphasizes his ability to dance and feel music - not like the short dances this year, not a tango (blech), and nothing like what Ashley did with hip hip chin chin. Or African music. Or something like Javi’s Black Betty program (which reminded me a bit of Prince).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I get it, and I agree with Mrs P’s observations about the bad associations with Inner Love. But I would not like to see another program like Hamilton, either, especially if he keeps Hamilton.

I must sound like a broken record, but I’d love to see him do a Latin program that emphasizes his ability to dance and feel music - not like the short dances this year, not a tango (blech), and nothing like what Ashley did with hip hip chin chin. Or African music. Or something like Javi’s Black Betty program (which reminded me a bit of Prince).

I really would love a straight up classical program. I feel there's a lot of stuff that can be upbeat and powerful without being too showy like the Hamilton program.

Ross74

Medalist
Oh, I would be very happy with either a Latin or classical number for the FS, as long as there's a build and some excitement with the music.

I know there are some tennis fans here. Anyone think Jason might go to Indian Wells? :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh, I would be very happy with either a Latin or classical number for the FS, as long as there's a build and some excitement with the music.

I know there are some tennis fans here. Anyone think Jason might go to Indian Wells? :)

Fangirling over Serena (and her cute little girl) I totally can see it now!

But if Jason is working on those quads, there will be no time for tennis. :laugh:

Last edited:

Ross74

Medalist
Fangirling over Serena (and her cute little girl) I totally can see it now!

But if Jason is working on those quads, there will be no time for tennis. :laugh:

There's always time for tennis. You can't train 16 hrs a day. :)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I like that we’re coming up with things for Jason to do. We should be travel agents!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I like that we’re coming up with things for Jason to do. We should be travel agents!

:cool: I feel like he would enjoy snorkelling in our picturesque oceans. And hugging kangaroos.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can I vote?! (oops, maybe we're not voting) :laugh: But I vote for Anthony Liu.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Quoting myself from 4/19/2017:

I also think he's going to spend time with Frank over the summer. I have been thinking about Anthony Liu too. Kori talked about Anthony in the Nick McCarvel interview and described him as the best jump technician she knows. I've wondered why Jason hasn't worked with him lately. Frank and Anthony are on the coaching staff at Desert Ice Castle where Jason spent some time this winter during his recovery. Maybe he will spend some time there this summer working with both of them?

Maybe Jason will make my speculation come true this year. :laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I vote that we get a serious tweet and/or IG post with an announcement

Anthony Liu, anyone, someone, as long as he’s not dancing through Palm Springs....:biggrin:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States

Anthony Liu, anyone, someone, as long as he’s not dancing through Palm Springs....:biggrin:

Ahhh ... But, what if he's dancing through Palm Springs with Anthony (like he danced with Raj in Toronto when he picked up his boots)? :biggrin: ;)

ETA:

I've been thinking about next year's programs for Jason. I adored Inner Love and would be thrilled to see a completely realized version of it some day. I agree that he should put it on the shelf for next season and go in a completely different direction for the free skate. I agree with Mrs. P about wanting to see Jason skate to a classical piece of music.

For the SP, I'm wondering if he might want a change from Hamilton after performing it during SOI. I don't want to see him struggle with two new programs again though. I wonder if he will ever bring back the Appassionata SP. He shelved it after Champs Camp 2016 because it was too similar in style to The Piano and went with the Writings on the Wall instead. If I'm remembering correctly, the only time Appassionata was performed in international competition was at the Team Challenge Cup.

Ross74

Medalist
Did y'all see that someone posted in the Karen boot thread on FSU that they saw Jason and Karen skating together at "Kings" today!!! Would Kings be the LA Kings rink in El Segundo (Toyota Sports Center) or another rink?

Actually, I'd be happy to see him dance anywhere. :) I miss him.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Did y'all see that someone posted in the Karen boot thread on FSU that they saw Jason and Karen skating together at "Kings" today!!!

I just saw the post. :luv17:

Jason is definitely the ball of sunshine that Karen needs right now.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Did y'all see that someone posted in the Karen boot thread on FSU that they saw Jason and Karen skating together at "Kings" today!!! Would Kings be the LA Kings rink in El Segundo (Toyota Sports Center) or another rink?

Actually, I'd be happy to see him dance anywhere. :) I miss him.

Another rink. She skates at LA Kings Icetown Riverside, which is nearer to Palm Springs / Anthony Liu than Toyota.

http://icetownriverside.com/figure/coaches-information/

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now I have to go into the Karen boot thread at FSU .... that’s a minefield:laugh:

But Karen and Jason, BFFs, practicing, that would be so cool. And Sean Rabbitt practices at Icetown too, no? Can you imagine the showmanship of Sean and Jason practicing together:love:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Now I have to go into the Karen boot thread at FSU .... that’s a minefield:laugh:

But Karen and Jason, BFFs, practicing, that would be so cool. And Sean Rabbitt practices at Icetown too, no? Can you imagine the showmanship of Sean and Jason practicing together:love:

It’s on the last page. I tell you so you don’t regret reading the rest of it.