Jason Brown | Page 548 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

DinkyD

Rinkside
Yes! That was the music I did hear at AF when Jason was there. I think it is rather modern and sophisticated now that I've heard it again. Lots of sharp "spikes"....I'm sure the choreography will be interesting and look forward to seeing it when it's done.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy I will see Jason at SC. I bought a ticket on May 20th hoping some of my favorites would be there, and my luck was good! :biggrin: Hope he does as well as he did last year!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Daaaannngg. Dark black heart Jason! This is going to be a good one.

Here's the whole song[/URL].

So indeed we see some removal of "sweet innocent sunshine" Jason. Like the others, I get a Question of U vibe from this; yet this is darker, and somehow more sensual. I think I could like it. And being now older and more mature I think that he will not need to grow into this one like Question of U. Yes, love can be a *****, and the love of the ice just as much so.

But now I would truly, more than ever, like to see a light, classical or even romantic FS for him. A season of non-stop Dark Jason would be just too much. Do not quench the sunshine for both!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Not an easy GP series for Jason, looking at those names. I'm sorry he didn't get SA or NHK but I'm sure he'll do great again.

No it’s not an easy series - he could easily place out of the medals in both events. But since he’s just made the change to Brian /TCC, maybe that would not be so terrible.

He needs to balance his longer term and/or technical goals with rebuilding his competitive confidence and remaining relevant in the shorter term. Since he hasn’t really started back to jumping yet, they may not yet have the data to set a competitive strategy for this season.

With the new scoring system, I would guess they’ll first focus on stabilizing the 3A and polishing his other triples in order to increase his GOE and PCS as much as possible. Hopefully stabilizing and improving quality of his 3A will be relatively quick. The new SP looks like a promising vehicle, and the fact that David Wilson seems excited to work with both him and Zhenya makes me hopeful that we’ll see a good FS too.

Given the increased penalties for falls, I would guess they will hold off on adding a quad to his programs until he can do them in his sleep. That may not come this season. But since he’s made a fresh start and looks really happy right now, to the extent his issues with the 4T (and other quads) are psychological rather than technical, he may surprise us and make good progress in a relatively short period of time.

However the GP ends up for him, I’m really looking forward to this season.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah, I'm trying not to think too hard about where he'll end up, though I'll say the the odds are slightly better at Skate Canada. Shoma is the lead contender there, but the fields pretty open after that -- I'd say he's in the mix for the medal with Alexander Samarin (who medaled at SC last year), Keegan Messing, Kazuki Tomono. Not to mention that it's a few hours drive from Toronto and he won't have to deal with jet-lag.

IdF is a much deeper field with Nathan Chen and Boyang Jin there. Plus you got Alexander Samarin again, plus Dmitri Aliev, who can be absolutely brilliant (see Euros), Keiji Tanaka, who also has had good moments (including medaling at NHK 2016, where Jason struggled). Plus Nic Nadeau and Denise Vasiljevs, who are definitely promising and rising young skaters.

I think it's good that he's kinda in this dark horse territory for now. He's not even in the conversation right now for GPF (judging by the posts I've seen so far), but in a sense it's probably good cause then he can just focus on improving as a skater and not get too hopped up about expectations, which I think was a factor in some of the issues last season.

I think one thing that will help is that the new scoring system will maybe give him a bit more points compared to others on spins/steps, even if the BV is lower. I think you have to do far more to get +4 and +5 and I think Jason is one of the few who can do that. And as long as his overall skating sticks (And I see no reason why it wouldn't -- it was solid at SOI even with the injury), his PCS scores should still be up there. His average PCS internationally last season was 91. (His highest was 91.80 from his Lombardia, but he score 91.78 at 4CC).

But yeah it's super unknown cause we have no clue how he'll react to TCC's jumping approach or just the training schedule -- he's starting kinda late compared to past seasons. I'm pretty excited to see where things go. He seems to be enjoying the new training environment.

Karne, I agree we need something to contrast the angst. I don't think I can handle an all-dark angsty Jason either. David Wilson give us something good!

Last edited:

Ross74

Medalist
As i mentioned on the programs thread, the song is a TOTAL cognitive dissonance based what Jason's done in the past and his personality, so I get the skepticism.
That song is raw, dark and sensual. If Jason pulls this off, it will be a pretty impressive performance feat for him, IMO. Broadway, this is not.
And yes, he did the Sam Smith program, but the song is super bombastic and dramatic and plays up on Jason's showman talents.
Basically the choreography and Jason's skating has to carry this SP music, not the other way around.
(I still maintain this is going to be good, but won’t deny that this is a challenge.)

I believe. :) I'm thrilled he's doing something different, I think he's up to the challenge, and I can't wait to see the program.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I believe. :) I'm thrilled he's doing something different, I think he's up to the challenge, and I can't wait to see the program.

So do I. :) I’m looking forward to seeing it too. Just processing the cognitive dissonance I’m feeling! Boy is growing up! This is probably the feeling I’m going to get when my daughter gets there in like 15 years.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, those cardboard cutouts with the Jason split are too cute. Clever idea.:biggrin:

Since I choose to believe that Rohene took up @Tavi on her suggestion of Chicago blues, albeit millennial era, has anyone suggested a classical piece to Rohene? I was listening to Schumann’s Spring Symphony the other night on a longer drive. It’s classical, it’s joyful: but is it skating?:scratch3:

I was one of those who never wanted Jason to leave Rohene, but I’m looking forward to what Wilson might do. He at least appreciates the new dynamic duo ;)

Tavi...

Record Breaker
He’s always been a happy person, but after his struggles last season, it’s so great to see him just glowing with happiness these days. The last picture of that G2C group, with one of the little girls, and the two with Zhenya and David Wilson, are just beautiful.

Oh, and yes I did send Rohene some classical for Jason - some obscure-ish Tchaikovsky and Bach, if I recall - but as he’s not doing the FS this season, it doesn’t much matter. Maybe David Wilson will get the idea by osmosis, though? :)

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He’s always been a happy person, but after his struggles last season, it’s so great to see him just glowing with happiness these days. The last picture of that G2C group, with one of the little girls, and the two with Zhenya and David Wilson, are just beautiful.

Oh, and yes I did send Rohene some classical for Jason - some obscure-ish Tchaikovsky and Bach, if I recall - but as he’s not doing the FS this season, it doesn’t much matter. Maybe David Wilson will get the idea by osmosis, though? :)

Of course, it wouldn't matter what we sent to Rohene for FS now:palmf:

David Wilson seems like a nice guy, maybe we could tweet him:biggrin: And those photos of him, Jason and Zhenya are just gorgeous (well, Jason and Zhenya are gorgeous, David looks happy). And I love how they all go, No, I'm the lucky one, no I'm the lucky one:laugh:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Of course, it wouldn't matter what we sent to Rohene for FS now:palmf:

David Wilson seems like a nice guy, maybe we could tweet him:biggrin: And those photos of him, Jason and Zhenya are just gorgeous (well, Jason and Zhenya are gorgeous, David looks happy). And I love how they all go, No, I'm the lucky one, no I'm the lucky one:laugh:

:)

I’m guessing they’ve already got this year’s music selected but who knows. I just pray it’s not Elvis !

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I’m guessing they’ve already got this year’s music selected but who knows. I just pray it’s not Elvis !

NOOOOOOOOOO:hopelessness:

Guys and Dolls on the other hand:agree: But Broadway, and that Broadway in particular, appears unlikely......

Ross74

Medalist

:laugh: They were playing Elvis in my dance class last night and I really liked it. But no, I don't see Jason skating to this. I do, however, think Broadway is a possibility.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I really hope no Broadway this season and especially no Guys and Dolls. He did two great Broadway programs last season - I hope he gives it a rest. As to Guys and Dolls in particular- I would really hope David Wilson has the sense not to try to turn Jason into a Javi clone. That was a great program he did for Javi, but it’s very recent and very memorable. Jason has his own charm, and he’s capable of movement we’ve never seen from Javi. I don’t want an imitation Rohene program, but I do hope David Wilson tries to give Jason something uniquely suited to him.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
https://twitter.com/aliflour/status/1012871459830575104 Is Jason Brown's face the best thing to add to your stationery and hand-written letters? I think so. :biggrin:

That's a pretty good replica, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea to add that to my letters. Most people would be like, "Why do you have that random guy on your stationary?"

I really hope no Broadway this season and especially no Guys and Dolls. He did two great Broadway programs last season - I hope he gives it a rest. As to Guys and Dolls in particular- I would really hope David Wilson has the sense not to try to turn Jason into a Javi clone. That was a great program he did for Javi, but it’s very recent and very memorable. Jason has his own charm, and he’s capable of movement we’ve never seen from Javi. I don’t want an imitation Rohene program, but I do hope David Wilson tries to give Jason something uniquely suited to him.

Jason used to talk about how much he loved Javi. In that Orange Card game he did during 2013 TEB, he said he was "obsessed" with Javi. And he mentioned that one of the highlights of watching 2016 Worlds was watching Javi win. But he doesn't talk about Javi much these days. I don't know if there's anything to read into this, but I found it kind of odd that he congratulated Yuzu and Shoma on their Olympic medals on his Twitter page but didn't really mention Javi. It could be more that he's better acquainted with those two than Javi.

In any case, I agree -- I hope for no Broadway. It's kind of interesting, the SP was upbeat and the FS more slow/dramatic/romantic. Well we have the dark moody slow bluesy SP, so what tis the FS that's going to contrast it?! We'll see...

Last edited: