Jason Brown | Page 696 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

Imov

Medalist
Just drop in to say that my IG page got sunnier when Jason posted his family moments.
And I have yet to see the runthroughs of his new programs.

Ross74

Medalist

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Those are the same pics he posted a few days ago on Twitter. I think they're from Sun Valley.

But this one was posted this evening by a Japanese skater who is in Toronto. Those are some tight curls he's rocking! :) https://www.instagram.com/p/B0zlp4IJB6b/

Question for skaters. He's wearing skates in that pic and carrying dumbbells. Are dumbbells used in on-ice training?

I had a freak accident with my computer that destroyed it and hadn't been on Twitter for weeks. This post was the first I saw them. I guess I need to get back into my Twitter account. I've had to change all my passwords and it's been tedious, so Twitter wasn't on my radar. Thanks for the info!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Those are the same pics he posted a few days ago on Twitter. I think they're from Sun Valley.

But this one was posted this evening by a Japanese skater who is in Toronto. Those are some tight curls he's rocking! :) https://www.instagram.com/p/B0zlp4IJB6b/

Question for skaters. He's wearing skates in that pic and carrying dumbbells. Are dumbbells used in on-ice training?

No idea. I don’t think I’ve personally ever seen someone get on the ice with small hand weights (those look like they’re no more than 5 pounds), although I think I once saw a clip of Mirai skating the length of the ice dragging something behind her, presumably to increase strength and stamina. I think handheld weights would totally screw you up if you tried to do rotational jumps with them. I guess maybe if you were just jumping straight up they would help you build strength or explosiveness, and maybe you could carry them while stroking to build stamina before the season starts. That’s a long winded way of saying I don’t know. Maybe someone else knows more than me. :)

Of course, it’s also possible that she was working off-ice with the weights and he just took them briefly for the picture. :devil:

liv

Record Breaker
Not that it's new information, but it's always nice to hear about the athletes that have supportive and happy families ... as opposed to the pushy parent etc.. Love the running out of gas story. :)

Ross74

Medalist
Fun article about Jason's parents! Adventuring through life sounds like a great way to grow up.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Lovely read!!! Many of us have always wondered just what they have done to raise such a miraculously perfect athlete/son/human being like Jason. Finally some of the secrets revealed, although I bet the right gene contributed a great deal :) Such a wonderful family! :luv17:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
When I spoke to Jason briefly at a meet and greet last summer, I commented that he has really great parents. He looked up and straight into my eyes and said "I do have really great parents! I am SO lucky!" He is the product of a loving, supportive family with a strong work ethic and a positive outlook on life. What resonated most with me was the determination not to over-celebrate. I think that is really important.

MGstyle

Medalist
When I spoke to Jason briefly at a meet and greet last summer, I commented that he has really great parents. He looked up and straight into my eyes and said "I do have really great parents! I am SO lucky!" He is the product of a loving, supportive family with a strong work ethic and a positive outlook on life. What resonated most with me was the determination not to over-celebrate. I think that is really important.

I have met him a few times, one thing that strikes you is when he speaks, he ALWAYS looks at the person whom he is speaking to/or the person who asked him the question right in the eye. That is another sign of their extraordinary upbringing :love:

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I have met him a few times, one thing that strikes you is when he speaks, he ALWAYS looks at the person whom he is speaking to/or the person who asked him the question right in the eye. That is another sign of their extraordinary upbringing :love:

The first time I met him was at a meet and greet at Skate America. Adam, Jason and Tim Dolensky were signing programs and taking photos. When I got to Jason I told him that I had lost interest in skating and then happened to see his Riverdance skate at Nationals and now here I was to see him in competition. He spontaneously jumped up and gave me a hug and was so happy. He is like that with all of his fans. He's truly happy that you care, that you come to see him and that he gets to skate at these amazing competitions.

MGstyle

Medalist
THIS is one of my all time fav shots. (from Trophee Bompard 2013) It just says all about Jason. I know that look all so well. He looks at you just like that, no matter whether you are the King Hanyu, or a mortal little speck of a fan. :luv17:

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
A new Jason article posted by International Figure Skating:

Jason Brown: Risky Business

The article does a good job covering all the changes Jason made last season and looks ahead to this season.

Quad update:

Given the direction of the sport today, Brown knows quads will have to be part of his own arsenal. He now works on them every day and he is hoping to have one in each of his programs next season. The quad Salchow is likely to come first (Brown had that quad in his long program last season), but said, “we’re exploring more of them, and honing in on the technique and the base. Hopefully, it pays off.”

Jason's flip is so beautiful that I hope it's one of the quads they are exploring!

Tavi...

Record Breaker
A new Jason article posted by International Figure Skating:

Jason Brown: Risky Business

The article does a good job covering all the changes Jason made last season and looks ahead to this season.

Quad update:

Jason's flip is so beautiful that I hope it's one of the quads they are exploring!

Yay - just when I was starting to despair at the lack of new Jason content - it couldn’t have come along at a better time!

Re flip, I wouldn’t be surprised at all, although I doubt we’ll see it this year.

This was such a nice article, even though there wasn’t much new. He sounds calmer overall, and much more matter of fact about the quads. I liked hearing him say that he started rotating the 4S late in the season - like he’s comfortable with the process. And gosh, I just can’t wait to see the new programs.

MGstyle

Medalist
Very much welcomed Jason fix of an article! :agree: Indeed, nothing particularly new, but I liked the bits about even Hanyu sort of looks out on him, and sometimes gives him pep talks and pointers. Somehow I didn't expect that :eek::

Bookseller

Final Flight
Country
United-States
This is the first interview I've read or heard where he's addressed training his quads. He's covered everything else pretty thoroughly before. I don 't think he's ever actually admitted that he hadn't been reaching full rotation until late in the season last year. And it seems clear that he's pretty much settled into his new technique and is focusing more on his quad technique now. Brian says it usually takes 18 months to fully develop under the new technique and he's at 14 months. This is when he'll have to translate all that training into the stress of competition. Landing one quad consistently this season would be a very good goal as well as maintaining his technique inn his triples. His triples improved dramatically last year along with speed and clarity. With really secure triples and one secure quad and consistency, he will be competitive.

Ross74

Medalist
Autumn Classic seems to be out for Jason since Camden is the only U.S. male listed. What Challenger is he most likely to get? Lombardia? US Classic? Nebelhorn?