Jason Brown | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Wait til Joshua Farris gets the right program as well...

I am SO looking forward to the next quad with those two.

gmyers

Record Breaker
He's now the overwhelming Frontrunner for gold in Sochi. No one even cares he doesn't do a quad and people are calling him one of the best jumpers in the world with the best program in the world.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Yes! I was not as much as a Josh fan, but after seeing him in person, I definitely appreciate him more. His Schindler's List program was lovely.

Near

On the Ice
Country
Canada
He's now the overwhelming Frontrunner for gold in Sochi. No one even cares he doesn't do a quad and people are calling him one of the best jumpers in the world with the best program in the world.

...no. I mean come on, he finished second at nationals after skating the FS of his life, he was way behind Oda when he finished second at Nebelhorn and before last week-end his greatest claim to fame was silver at junior worlds and gold as JGPF. He was over 20 points behind Hanyu and 50 points behind Chan at Bompard. The guy is one of the most entertaining skaters out there but there is no way he'll win a medal in Sochi unless its a splatterfest. A clean Chan Hanyu are in a totally different league. An okay Chan or Hanyu both beat a lights out Brown.

First Skate

Rinkside
When I reblogged it last night on Tumblr it had gained 1000 more notes within an hour :yay:

A lot of people here in Ireland are posting it on Facebook too, we might adopt him!

noskates

Record Breaker
...no. I mean come on, he finished second at nationals after skating the FS of his life, he was way behind Oda when he finished second at Nebelhorn and before last week-end his greatest claim to fame was silver at junior worlds and gold as JGPF. He was over 20 points behind Hanyu and 50 points behind Chan at Bompard. The guy is one of the most entertaining skaters out there but there is no way he'll win a medal in Sochi unless its a splatterfest. A clean Chan Hanyu are in a totally different league. An okay Chan or Hanyu both beat a lights out Brown.

I don't think Jason is an overwhelming favorite for Gold but I wouldn't be surprised with a top 10 finish. You can quote his accomplishments but in my opinion he's just gotten stronger with each competition and I think Nationals will be a huuuuge confidence booster. I met and talked with Jason last week and I can tell you he is SOOOO humble and in awe of where he is right now. He's very genuine and just a sweetheart! So grateful for fan support! He was aiming for the 2018 Olympics and is amazed at what he's done this year. He's barely 19 years old. He has been landing his quad consistently in practice but there really was no reason to put it in this year's programs. He and his coach made the decision that it was more important this year to skate clean. I like that Jason has brought back entertainment and artistry to the sport, in addition to great athleticism, instead of the mind-numbing jump fests you see in so many other male skaters. Max Aaron for example has beautiful jumps but everything in between them is just meh!

I wasn't a Josh Farris fan so much either but seeing him in person at Nats was eye-opening. He isn't the performer that Jason is but he's so much more than just a jumper. He came out for his exhibition and people had thrown those annoying Smucklers strawberries, etc. on the ice. He held his arms out like the little sweepers do and picked them up. It was a funny moment.

Matilda

Medalist
Lol, sounds about right.

But if the video is creating instant ubers, what does that make those of us who have adored him for a couple of years now? Megaubers? :biggrin:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Well. JB is definitely MY favorite Men's skater!..had a nice green shirt on when I saw that performance...I don't think I could breath during it...I was like that when MK skated...
(I must be seeing things...it looks like the USFSA isn't going to let JB go to Worlds.....)
Celtic Chris

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
When I reblogged it last night on Tumblr it had gained 1000 more notes within an hour :yay:

A lot of people here in Ireland are posting it on Facebook too, we might adopt him!

Welcome to Golden Skate, First Skate! We hope you have a great time here!

Lol, sounds about right.

But if the video is creating instant ubers, what does that make those of us who have adored him for a couple of years now? Megaubers? :biggrin:

Inventors of Brownian Motion? Brownies? ;)
Do I get extra credit for having been an uber of the flawed, but wonderful, Beta version of Jason, Rohene Ward?:laugh:
I'm a Jason uber since Greensboro Nationals.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Inventors of Brownian Motion? Brownies? ;)
Do I get extra credit for having been an uber of the flawed, but wonderful, Beta version of Jason, Rohene Ward?:laugh:
I'm a Jason uber since Greensboro Nationals.

I'm just as much an uber of Kori Ade as I am of Jason, so I'm part of Team BrownAde. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I was so convinced that Schindler's List was THE program...well, maybe Josh will have his Jason moment at 4CCs? I hope so.

Lol, sounds about right.

Addicts, I think :laugh:

I am a proud Brownie and a - well. What do we call Josh ubers who were ubers before now?

And I have decided both of them need to come compete in Australia at the next available opportunity.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I've always been a fan in previous years but never following it intensely. I haven't watched it in several years, since 2011 I think. But Trophee Eric Bompard was on one Sunday in November and I decided to tune in. I was impressed with Chan and Hanyu but one program just enthralled me and stuck in my mind for hours later - Jason's. I was an instant fan :) I found a video of his performance on YouTube, looked him up on Wikipedia, and desperate to hear more from others about this guy, I found my way to these forums.

To say I was thrilled when he earned a place on the Olympic team is an understatement. I don't know if I've ever been that nervous watching an athletic competition! My heart was pounding and I was in tears watching his free skate.

Ever since first seeing him on TV at TEB, I've been following all the competitions, reading updates on skaters I remembered, doing research on the ones I didn't, and getting completely sucked in to the world of figure skating. And I owe to all to Jason!

Congrats Jason, and good luck in Sochi!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
And now he's on Mashable! Every social media saavy friend I know reads that site. The video is going to hit 1 million views at this rate.

Boy, I feel kind of bad for Jeremy....everyone is so excited for Jason's FS, nobody realized that he actually finished second.

http://mashable.com/2014/01/14/figure-skater-jason-brown/?utm_cid=mash-com-fb-main-link

As an aside, also an interesting case of how social media is trumping traditional media.

Gracie Gold was on the Today show this morning, and AFAIK, no one on GS has mentioned her appearance. Jason is the "it" Team USA skater of the moment -- and perhaps straight thru the Olympics ... and then who knows how much longer???

(BTW, I mentioned in another thread that Jason also had been a trending Twitter topic on Sunday b/c of his FS. Very cool. :cool:)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I've always been a fan in previous years but never following it intensely. I haven't watched it in several years, since 2011 I think. But Trophee Eric Bompard was on one Sunday in November and I decided to tune in. I was impressed with Chan and Hanyu but one program just enthralled me and stuck in my mind for hours later - Jason's. I was an instant fan :) I found a video of his performance on YouTube, looked him up on Wikipedia, and desperate to hear more from others about this guy, I found my way to these forums.

To say I was thrilled when he earned a place on the Olympic team is an understatement. I don't know if I've ever been that nervous watching an athletic competition! My heart was pounding and I was in tears watching his free skate.

Ever since first seeing him on TV at TEB, I've been following all the competitions, reading updates on skaters I remembered, doing research on the ones I didn't, and getting completely sucked in to the world of figure skating. And I owe to all to Jason!

Congrats Jason, and good luck in Sochi!

What a great story! Thanks for sharing it and welcome to Golden Skate. Glad you can join us and you're welcome to gush over Jason as much as you want. :biggrin: