Jason Brown | Page 97 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Happy birthday to Marla!

Aside: I was waiting for a TV show to come on tonight and the credits were rolling for the animated movie that had been on beforehand: "Scooby Doo: Pirates Ahoy". And then suddenly, a name caught my eye: the voice of the ship's captain in the movie was "Arsenio Hall"! :laugh:

Less than a month til Skate America!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Below are partial excerpts re Jason and Nebelhorn from the event report posted by Europe on Ice today. The stuff about the post-FS press conference is interesting. :think:

... There may have never been a more personable and charming skater than Brown, but beneath there is also a steely competitor. While the rest of his rivals in Oberstdorf floundered, the American produced a flawless short complete with a good triple axel, a jump that had given him trouble in the past. His score of 83.59 points had him sitting way out in front of the rest of the field.
"I love Oberstdorf and it’s just so nice to be back somewhere so familiar,” Brown said. “I just wanted to go out there and skate the programme I’ve practiced." ...

Brown basically needed to stay upright in his "Tristan and Isolde" routine to win and this he managed to do with a free score of 153.58 and total of 237.17 points. In doing so however it did reveal the Achilles heel of his skating. Four of his jumps were deemed to be under rotated, including both of his triple axels. While this did not prevent him from winning a season opener like Nebelhorn, it will surely not be good enough later on in the year.
"Today I was really playing it safe and conservatively,” Brown admitted. “Looking at the four downgrades there is definitely room to improve there."

And then there is the "Q" word. At the post-free press conference, a question was put about the importance of the quad and Brown coyly ducked the question and passed the microphone to Brezina. A skater less likable and charming would not have gotten off so lightly, but grilling Brown further seemed cruel, almost like kicking a puppy. It is a question that will no doubt come up again and something that he won't be able to dodge so easily in future.

http://blog.europeonice.com/?eid=458 (posted Oct 6)​

.... Brooklee, and her song, however. :clap: Why couldn't Jason do "L-O-V-E"?

Forgive my digression, but one of my favorite Virtue/Moir fan montages (from 2012) also is set to L-O-V-E.

alabhaois

On the Ice
Thanks for the post, golden411. Interesting stuff.

Just curious: did Jason under-rotate any of his jumps in Riverdance?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I seem to remember he UR'd the second 3A at US Nationals.

Yep, indeed that was the case, all the other jumps were good.

I don't think Jason has a chronic under rotation problem, just when he's nervous or starting out he tends to UR. I be they will be cleaned up by Skate America.

alabhaois

On the Ice
That's right-- now I remember: after his second 3A, the female commentator said, "A little two-foot"-- and this was immediately after Scott Hamilton's, "The jump that used to give him fits-- he owns it now." Two opposite opinions and, at the time, I wondered which one was accurate.

Thanks for your replies!
:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Thanks for the post, golden411. Interesting stuff.

Just curious: did Jason under-rotate any of his jumps in Riverdance?

.... I don't think Jason has a chronic under rotation problem, just when he's nervous or starting out he tends to UR. I be they will be cleaned up by Skate America.

Not disagreeing with Mrs. P. fyi, I did look up Jason's Sochi results.

Two URs for Riverdance in the Sochi team FS.

And two URs in the Sochi individual FS.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
That's right-- now I remember: after his second 3A, the female commentator said, "A little two-foot"-- and this was immediately after Scott Hamilton's, "The jump that used to give him fits-- he owns it now." Two opposite opinions and, at the time, I wondered which one was accurate.

Thanks for your replies!

I do think Sandra Bezic's (the female commentator) take was more accurate for that specific jump. If you watch the video, his landing is pretty rough - his free leg is not supposed to swing up that high. That being said, Scott was absolutely right that the jump used to be his Achilles heel, whereas he now lands it consistently and it can be quite nice (as in his first 3A in Riverdance, and his 3A in the Juke program). So we have two seemingly-opposing views that can life in harmony!

Scovies

Final Flight

I don't think Jason has the chronic UR problems of, say, Kanako Murakami or Mirai Nagasu (where they have a general tendency to underrotate everything). It seems to be the second 3A, and the second half of his triple-triple combinations, which seems more like an endurance/training/comfort level thing. I'm pretty sure he'll clean up most of those problems before the Grand Prix series.

Y'know the cool thing about looking at those scores, golden411? Check out the 5-point jump in his PCS from the team to individual. :biggrin:

TMC

Record Breaker

Thanks for looking these up! I was just about to ask if he didn't have quite a few URs in Sochi. Happy it was only 4 combined!

I look at it this way: Skate America was his 1st ever senior GP. So it was new to him. He was visibly nevous and the skate didn't go well at all. Then at TEB he was relaxed and confident. Well, Sochi was his first Olympics, so he got those nerve-URs. Korea will be his 2nd and he'll be all "oh yeah been here done this, no problems". And then he'll do a beautiful quad out of a hydroblade just because he can :biggrin: :biggrin:

alabhaois

On the Ice
Hi Hyena ;)
I'm such a novice at all this that I make a beginner sound advanced! :slink:

Thanks, everyone, for the comments/clarifications

deetrakt

Rinkside
It's also worth pointing out--although I'm sure most know this--that a relatively slight under-rotation does not affect the base level of the jump, although it, like a two-footed landing, often leads to a negative grade of execution.

In contrast, a more under-rotated jump may lead to a downgrade in the base value of the jump, say from a triple lutz to a double lutz. Quite a few competitive skaters are prone to getting downgrades on their jumps, although I don't remember Jason getting any, at least not recently.

As several have mentioned, the second triple axel in the Riverdance program was recurrently two-footed and/or under-rotated. I remember Kurt Browning referring to it on CBC coverage of Trophee Eric Bompard as a "tiny two-foot".

PS I believe that in last year's Nationals, the 2nd triple axel in Riverdance was the only element to receive a negative grade of execution in either Jason's short or long programs. While we all want to see Jason perfect and include quads in his programs, this consistency, along with his remarkable performances, is why he can sometimes finish very high without one.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason does UR when he's nervous or in a new situation. At JGP Courchevel a couple of seasons ago he got four URs, when the pressure for the 3A was probably at its highest. He UR'd the 3A at Nationals - ironically, he stalked that 3A more than the first one, and UR'd it, but was clean on the shorter entry. He did a couple of URs at the Olympics. But it's not a chronic issue for him. It appears every now and again. His Liebestraume at 2013 Junior Worlds was perfect, no URs, no two-foots.

Jason's problem is not Mirai's. Mirai's is chronic. Jason's is situational. And a lot of people have situational URs, which is okay, as long as they don't become chronic.

TMC

Record Breaker
Jason does UR when he's nervous or in a new situation. At JGP Courchevel a couple of seasons ago he got four URs, when the pressure for the 3A was probably at its highest. He UR'd the 3A at Nationals - ironically, he stalked that 3A more than the first one, and UR'd it, but was clean on the shorter entry. He did a couple of URs at the Olympics. But it's not a chronic issue for him. It appears every now and again. His Liebestraume at 2013 Junior Worlds was perfect, no URs, no two-foots.

Jason's problem is not Mirai's. Mirai's is chronic. Jason's is situational. And a lot of people have situational URs, which is okay, as long as they don't become chronic.

Yes, I agree that he has by no means a chronic problem with it. I seems to be tied to early season and particularly nerve-wracking situations.

That man from that skating blog whose names we shan't mention (when I was still giving them my precious time occasionally) that Jason seems to get extra nervy and is therefore more mistake-prone when he is in a very good position after the short. I think he may have hit on something there.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That man from that skating blog whose names we shan't mention (when I was still giving them my precious time occasionally) that Jason seems to get extra nervy and is therefore more mistake-prone when he is in a very good position after the short. I think he may have hit on something there.

Occasionally, yes. Not all the time. At TEB he was tremendous. But even he admits that at SkAm he got too nervous, and I think he hit the same problem at the Olys. He'll get better with practice. Jason, and Max, and Joshua, it was their first outing at the Senior GP and it affected all three of them differently.

TMC

Record Breaker
Occasionally, yes. Not all the time. At TEB he was tremendous. But even he admits that at SkAm he got too nervous, and I think he hit the same problem at the Olys. He'll get better with practice. Jason, and Max, and Joshua, it was their first outing at the Senior GP and it affected all three of them differently.

Yep. The commentator on the Sochi feed we get here (it may be Chris H. but I'm not sure) says - at one point when we're shown the final standings after the SP - something along the lines of "And Jason Brown at sixth place! He's probably somewhere curled up in a corner and trembling!"

ETA And now I have to go watch it again :biggrin: I'm forever grateful to our national broadcasting company; they give us free on demand access to all Sochi events until the end of this year!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Yep. The commentator on the Sochi feed we get here (it may be Chris H. but I'm not sure) says - at one point when we're shown the final standings after the SP - something along the lines of "And Jason Brown at sixth place! He's probably somewhere curled up in a corner and trembling!"

ETA And now I have to go watch it again :biggrin: I'm forever grateful to our national broadcasting company; they give us free on demand access to all Sochi events until the end of this year!

That is just so cute. I suspect others have felt the same way.

I think it is more a combination of something being new, and good short pressure. Skate America was new. . . the pressure was an issue. By TEB, it was not his first anymore, was in a similar position, but was less nervousness due to it not being new.

I think Jason is a bit of a sponge. He takes in and is affected by what is going on around him. If he is in a good spot he knows it, and it has an affect, but at the same time when the crowd is into it (i.e. nationals) he takes that in uses it. He is not an in their own little world skater. But I am so looking forward to seeing him skate for a crazy crowd again. Looking forward to seeing him skate in his hometown (area) to a local song (i.e. Juke in Chicago) here soon, I expect the stands to be very very loud. :popcorn:

Crossing my fingers worlds does not feel too new this year.

alabhaois

On the Ice
You know what Jason's problem is? He's simply too doggone adorable.
Thanks for the photos, golden411!!

:) :biggrin: ;)

TMC

Record Breaker
I agree :biggrin:

Thanks for picking out the photos and posting here - I had just a minute ago decided that I couldn't be bothered to go through 100+ photos looking for Jason and that I'd do it later. Now all I have to do - when I need a cute fix - is come here. So thanks again golden411!