Joshua Farris | Page 51 | Golden Skate

Joshua Farris

musicfan80

Medalist
Oh, and just quietly, Lukas in real life, even from a bit of a distance, is really, really cute. :eek::

Lukas is cute - and the guys I am attracted to are normally have dark brown hair. I really hope that Lukas stays encouraged and makes it to at least Europeans next season. He has to finished at least 2nd at Latvian Champs, correct?

------------------------

Back to Joshua (cause this is his fan thread) - I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't hear any updates from him until this summer, but his tweet earlier this month was encouraging. We'll see. :)

andromache

Record Breaker
I love Josh, and this time last year I had my fingers crossed for him to be a big deal in US men's skating. I wanted him to the perfect that 4T, keep that gorgeous 3A, begin working on a 4S etc. And obviously with his injury, that didn't happen this year.

And now that I'm rewatching his SP and LP from last year, I don't care what kind of jumps he does. Keep giving us this gorgeous and innovative choreography and I'll be fine.

musicfan80

Medalist
Just posting here that I hope that the U.S. men now only having 2 spots doesn't make Joshua too discouraged. I hope that he can still completely recovers and is able to compete what he has been capable of next season. Next year's U.S. Nationals is going to be even more brutal.

On the positive side, there's no reason that Joshua (or Jason as well) can't be successful with what he had been scoring internationally and what his potential was with the technical content he had then. I have no idea how long it would take for his to get his skating skills, jumps, and spins back, but I am wishing him all the :hap10: :clapper: :rock: :party: that he wants and needs.

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
Does anyone have latest news about him? his recovery, programs, coreographer, etc...
I would love to see him on ice again and just hope his recovery... :sad21:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
As to the programs, well, I have some speculation on those. Nothing based in firm fact, purely my own speculations.

I rather think we'll see the Pines of Rome free skate this season. After all, it was brand new for last season and I doubt it had even been to a monitoring session yet when he got injured, so it would make sense that he would want to use it.

I'm in two minds about the short. In some ways, I feel like he might keep Give Me Love as he originally planned, to ease him back into it, reduce the workload going into the season, and also to remind the judges of how much they love him; but at the same time, the extended layoff might also give us a new short program. We'll see.

musicfan80

Medalist
About Pines of Rome - he is sticking with that program - now that I've listened to all four movements, am I the only one who is wondering what he would be interpreting? The playing among the pine trees (Sorry, but I hope not)? The chanting in catacombs? The nightingale during the full moon? Or the Roman army marching after a victory?

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I am starting to get concerned about Josh's return after such a prolonged silence from him. I am not sure if we will see him compete again. That would be very sad, but I know that he needs to do what's best for his longterm health. There is a life after skating and skating isn't worth wrecking your health over. Has anyone heard anything?

musicfan80

Medalist
I think Josh (and Team Christy/Damon for all their skaters - you don't see them posting anything on social media about their skaters' training) is very private about his training and recovery. At this point I would assume that no news is good news.

I think when Josh is either assigned to a competition or getting really close to being ready to compete, we will here an update from him. And I think (and also hope) that he does this because he wants to amaze us.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am starting to get concerned about Josh's return after such a prolonged silence from him. I am not sure if we will see him compete again. That would be very sad, but I know that he needs to do what's best for his longterm health. There is a life after skating and skating isn't worth wrecking your health over. Has anyone heard anything?

Radio silence is Josh's modus operandi. It's just how he is. We will hear from him when the time is right.

I believe he still has much more to give us.

musicfan80

Medalist
Apparently, USFS has updated the Team Envelopes for the next season (even thought the table still says 2015-2016): http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84023.

Joshua is completely off the list - I thought they would at least put him on the Reserve Team. This has been the main thing I have been worried about Joshua's comeback. I assuming that regardless of how fast or well his comeback is going, summer shows are probably not an option to make any money. :( I'm not sure if or how much teaching he could have been doing, but maybe that helped - I don't know how much his medical expense ate up whatever $$$ he saved from being out last season.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Apparently, USFS has updated the Team Envelopes for the next season (even thought the table still says 2015-2016): http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84023.

Joshua is completely off the list - I thought they would at least put him on the Reserve Team. This has been the main thing I have been worried about Joshua's comeback. I assuming that regardless of how fast or well his comeback is going, summer shows are probably not an option to make any money. :( I'm not sure if or how much teaching he could have been doing, but maybe that helped - I don't know how much his medical expense ate up whatever $$$ he saved from being out last season.

The way I read the 2016-17 criteria, Josh should qualify for Team C (because of his Team B status in 2015-16).
So I for one will keep my fingers crossed and wait to see whether the names now appearing on the USFS site really are the final listings for 2016-17.

(The Reserve Team does not receive any funding, BTW.

And lest anyone wonder: The fact that Jason already appears on the new Team B list does not rule out the possibility that Josh could be added to the Team C list, IMO. For 2016-17, Jason met the Team B criterion of a 2015-16 GP medal. Jason's 2015-16 Team A status did not necessarily come into play for 2016-17 funding.)

Radio silence is Josh's modus operandi. It's just how he is. We will hear from him when the time is right.

I believe he still has much more to give us.

:agree: Agree on all counts.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I am sure that Joshua's absence from the funding list means nothing. Its probably a technicality, maybe it's required that he does a monitoring session or something when he gets closer to competing.

One thing I've actually been wondering about...the Aerial Challenge. It might be the perfect way to ease him back in. Of course I would not expect him to make the final rounds or anything, but just doing some jumps and getting some scores on them might help.

musicfan80

Medalist
One thing I've actually been wondering about...the Aerial Challenge. It might be the perfect way to ease him back in. Of course I would not expect him to make the final rounds or anything, but just doing some jumps and getting some scores on them might help.

It would, especially if he got some encouragement from Christy/Damon and some other skaters. Of course, I have no idea the timeframe he can realistically get doubles, triples, & quads back.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am sure that Joshua's absence from the funding list means nothing. Its probably a technicality, maybe it's required that he does a monitoring session or something when he gets closer to competing....

I like the way you think :).

Apparently, USFS has updated the Team Envelopes for the next season (even thought the table still says 2015-2016): http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=84023 ....

I see today that the table now has been re-labeled as 2016-17. Will keep hoping that karne is correct.

FWIW, Josh is listed on the USFS page for the 2016-17 International Selection Pool (ISP) :).

bwayrose7

On the Ice
Unless Josh is given the TBD spot for SA, looks like he's off the GP circuit for 16/17 :( Not unexpected, especially given that no one has heard any news about whether or not he's coming back at all, but worth a thread bump, I thought.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Unless Josh is given the TBD spot for SA, looks like he's off the GP circuit for 16/17 :( Not unexpected, especially given that no one has heard any news about whether or not he's coming back at all, but worth a thread bump, I thought.

I hope he'll do a few Sr Bs and then be ready for Nationals, we'll see. Hopefully we'll hear from him and his camp soon. I do miss his skating, it's been over a year since we've seen him on the ice publicly.

musicfan80

Medalist
Not surprised that Josh isn't going to be in the GP this season.

But let's send good thoughts for his continued recovery, a successful monitoring session with USFS, and:

1) (Best case scenario) USFS is happy and Josh gets assigned to some Senior Bs and doesn't have to go through Regionals/Sectionals to get to U.S. Nationals.

2) Joshua goes to Regionals/Sectionals and rocks it! Maybe he can then do a Johnny Weir (2004).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not surprised that Josh isn't going to be in the GP this season.

But let's send good thoughts for his continued recovery, a successful monitoring session with USFS, and:

1) (Best case scenario) USFS is happy and Josh gets assigned to some Senior Bs and doesn't have to go through Regionals/Sectionals to get to U.S. Nationals.

2) Joshua goes to Regionals/Sectionals and rocks it! Maybe he can then do a Johnny Weir (2004).

Or a Max Aaron (2013) :).

But I digress. All best to Josh. :agree: Miss him. :ghug:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Honestly i don't think regionals/sectionals would be so bad for him. It would be a low pressure way to practice getting through a season uninjured.