2013 Winter Universiade | Golden Skate

2013 Winter Universiade

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
With the Summer Universiade in Kazan, Russia, currently taking over Eurosport's schedules (meaning the Australian Open Snooker isn't on TV in Europe this year - Grrrr!!! :mad: ), it started me thinking about the upcoming Winter Universiade.

Dates: 10th December to 21st December 2013 (11th December to 15th December for figure skating).

Of the winter sports I am interested in, Eurosport only showed the ski jumping competitions from the 2011 Universiade in Erzurum. And I was surprised to find that most of the competitors were people that I would regularly see competing in the World Cup (this was especially the case in the women’s ski jumping).

But, thinking about it afterwards, I shouldn’t have been that surprised as most of the ski jumpers combine their training with their University education.

In figure skating, this generally does not happen. Most skaters delay their University education until after they finish their competitive skating career.

So that started me wondering: which (familiar) figure skaters would be eligible for this year’s Universiade? And, who are we likely to see representing each country?

As I said, Eurosport did not show the figure skating competitions from Erzurum. But I just looked at the results ( http://www.isuresults.com/results/wu2011/index.htm ) and, although there were a few familiar names (particularly around the top of the results), most of the names were not.

Have any Latin American skaters ever made it to the Olympics? In recent years? Or ever?

I have a vague recollection of a lady from Mexico some time ago, but it's so vague I can't trust the memory to be accurate.

But, for those who were interested in the fortunes of Latin American skaters in the “remaining Olympic spots” thread, there were a few Brazilians competing at the 2011 Universiade.

Men’s: Kevin Alves
Ladies: Elena Rodrigues, Alessia Baldo

Finally, I didn’t know where it would be best to post this thread, so I just put it in the main forum. So, if any of the Mods think it would be more suitable in a different forum, feel free to move it! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I might go there, so I would be really interested in knowing if some of the top skaters could be there! :yes: In 2011 there were Oda and B/L, but the Ladies and Dance fields were really "empty"...

vera01

Final Flight
Many Nationals/Euros/4CC are being held in December/January, and since Olympics are only two months away from Universiade, I doubt any of the top skaters would be willing to compete there.

seabm7

Final Flight
Kwak Min-Jeong of South Korea is eligible. She restarted her training a while ago after a series of injuries. If she recovers enough, we may see her in the game.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I was just reading the thread where russell30 was enquiring about a skating diary, and golden411 pointed out this page on Golden Skate:

http://www.goldenskate.com/upcoming-figure-skating-events

I didn't know about that page either, so I had a look. It's a very handy tool, so WELL DONE Golden Skate!!!

While there, I noticed that the Universiade was the last event on the list.

So, that started me wondering if there was anybody confirmed as an entry yet.

Neither the Universiade website ( http://www.universiadetrentino.org ) nor Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Winter_Universiade ) have got the pages for the individual sports up yet.

So, does anybody know if any of the teams have confirmed any of their skating representatives for Trentino? And, if so, who's going?

CaroLiza_fan

lcd

Match Penalty
This DOES seem like it should be a very worthwhile event and yet the TIMING is so oddly out of synch with the elite skaters' competition schedules (conflicts with so many European National championships). Odd.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Della Monica/Guarise just said in an interview that they plan to compete in Trento!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For Russia: Artemieva & Biryukova said in interviews they were going. I believe Tarasova/Morozov's coach also said they would go. For the men there are 5 that are eligible but don't know who will be chosen (Gorshkov, Bush, Dmitriev, Sezganov, S. Borodulin). But Russian nationals is 1 & 1/2 weeks later so who knows if any will actually go.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So, now that she is not qualified for the GPF, Carolina will probably compete there!! :yes: Any other information about other notable entries? USA? Canada? Japan? Ice Dance (which is one of the events I plan to attend)?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Team Russia announced:

Ladies: Maria Artemieva, Sofia Biryukova, Sofia Mishina,
No alternates

Men: Moris Kvitelashvili, Gordei Gorshkov, Zhan Bush
Alternates: Vladislav Sezganov

Pairs: Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov, Evgenia Trasova/Vladimir Morozov, Natalia Mitina/Yuri Shevchuk
Alternates: Anastasia Martyusheva/Alexei Rogonov

Ice dance: Ksenia Monko/Kirill Khaliavin, Viktoria Sinitsina/Ruslan Zhiganshin, Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin
Alternates: Valeria Zenkova/Valery Sinitsin

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Team Russia announced:

Ladies: Maria Artemieva, Sofia Biryukova, Sofia Mishina,
No alternates

Men: Moris Kvitelashvili, Gordei Gorshkov, Zhan Bush
Alternates: Vladislav Sezganov

Pairs: Ksenia Stolbova/Fedor Klimov, Evgenia Trasova/Vladimir Morozov, Natalia Mitina/Yuri Shevchuk
Alternates: Anastasia Martyusheva/Alexei Rogonov

Ice dance: Ksenia Monko/Kirill Khaliavin, Viktoria Sinitsina/Ruslan Zhiganshin, Alexandra Stepanova/Ivan Bukin
Alternates: Valeria Zenkova/Valery Sinitsin

WELL DONE RUSSIA for taking this championship so seriously!

I have to say, Russia are sending a much stronger team than I was expecting, bearing in mind what DobrinFan said earlier in this thread:

But Russian nationals is 1 & 1/2 weeks later so who knows if any will actually go.

I suspect Russia are sending a strong team so that they can go to Sochi and say "Look how many medals Team Russia have already won this season!"

Let's hope the other countries competing follow suit. But, given what lcd said earlier in this thread, I suspect they won't.

This DOES seem like it should be a very worthwhile event and yet the TIMING is so oddly out of synch with the elite skaters' competition schedules (conflicts with so many European National championships). Odd.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
So, now that she is not qualified for the GPF, Carolina will probably compete there!! :yes: Any other information about other notable entries? USA? Canada? Japan? Ice Dance (which is one of the events I plan to attend)?

Sorry to be the barer of bad news, FSGMT, but it was announced on Carolina's Official Facebook Page today that she ain't going to the Universiade:

Carolina Kostner said:
Cari amici, vi comunichiamo che Carolina non parteciperà alle Universiadi: questa è una decisione maturata da Carolina insieme al suo allenatore in quanto le date dell'evento non si sarebbero inserite in modo opportuno nella preparazione già stabilita verso gli eventi più importanti della stagione. Un caro saluto a tutti e restate in ascolto per i prossimi aggiornamenti!

Dear friends, we shall inform you that Carolina will not compete at the Universiade (World University Games): she took this decision alongside with her coach because the event schedule would not fit properly into her training schedule towards the most important events of the season. Stay tuned for the next updates!

Source: https://www.facebook.com/carolinakostner/posts/10153522548635024

You can understand her reasoning, but it would have been lovely if she had competed there, in front of her home fans.

CaroLiza_fan

FSGMT

Record Breaker

FSGMT

Record Breaker
And there are rumors that this decision could be because she's planning to change one of her program (probably the FS, going back to an old one)...

skater330

Spectator
http://www.neveitalia.it/sport/figureskating/notizie/news/le-entries-ufficiali-delle-universiadi

SETTORE MASCHILE

01) (AUS) - Andrew DODDS
02) (AUS) - Jordan DODDS
03) (AUS) - Mark WEBSTER
04) (AUT) - Mario-Rafael IONIAN
05) (AUT) - Manuel KOLL
06) (BLR) - Pavel IGNATENKO
07) (BLR) - Mikhail KARALIUK
08) (BRA) - Luiz MANELLA
09) (CHN) - Jinlin GUAN
10) (CHN) - Nan SONG
11) (CHN) - Yi WANG