Gracie Gold | Page 19 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I like Grace but she HAS to do smth with her jumps! They are getting smaller:slink: I still think that she is the best American out there - she has the identity, and I can't say the same about Polina now. I feel that Gold can and will give Russian girls a run for their money.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Grace but she HAS to do smth with her jumps! They are getting smaller:slink: I still think that she is the best American out there - she has the identity, and I can't say the same about Polina now. I feel that Gold can and will give Russian girls a run for their money.

I don't understand why her jumps would be getting smaller. Gracie is way past puberty but when i watch her from a couple years ago her jumps were almost as big as Tonya's were in her peak. Maybe she has lost to much weight and needs a few pounds back on for more muscle mass.

hurrah

Medalist
It must be rather excruciating to choose the American that will win in Boston. Glacie would have been the obvious choice until few months ago, but... well, what kind of image might American figure skating suffer from if they have a champion who has displayed ethnic and racial bigotry. IMO, Polina Edmunds seems like the best choice right now but then, there's the issue of puberty monster so I guess there's no guarantee. Of course, Ashley is good personality-wise (intelligent and witty) and she won't have growth spurt issues, but she can't land a 3-3. How about Mirai? it's possible that she'll have her under-rotation issues sorted out by then.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It must be rather excruciating to choose the American that will win in Boston. Glacie would have been the obvious choice until few months ago, but... well, what kind of image might American figure skating suffer from if they have a champion who has displayed ethnic and racial bigotry. IMO, Polina Edmunds seems like the best choice right now but then, there's the issue of puberty monster so I guess there's no guarantee. Of course, Ashley is good personality-wise (intelligent and witty) and she won't have growth spurt issues, but she can't land a 3-3. How about Mirai? it's possible that she'll have her under-rotation issues sorted out by then.

Please enough of this racial ethnic bigotry crap. I'm tired of the PC police telling us what to say or think.

koatcue

Medalist
Country
Russia
I don't understand why her jumps would be getting smaller. Gracie is way past puberty but when i watch her from a couple years ago her jumps were almost as big as Tonya's were in her peak. Maybe she has lost to much weight and needs a few pounds back on for more muscle mass.

That's what the Russian commentators said! PS - they discussed Gracie with Eteri Tutberidze - Yulia's coach - and she said that the 1st time she saw her (Junior Worlds) she was pleasantly surprised with her jumps - she said her lutz was one of the best, and her jumps were HUGE in life.

Meoima

Match Penalty
That's what the Russian commentators said! PS - they discussed Gracie with Eteri Tutberidze - Yulia's coach - and she said that the 1st time she saw her (Junior Worlds) she was pleasantly surprised with her jumps - she said her lutz was one of the best, and her jumps were HUGE in life.
Her jumps have gotten really smaller now, I don't know how her jumps look in life, but through live stream her jumps in SP and LP in these 3 days looked as small as Julia's.

millie

Medalist
and the golden girl Osmond was falling on her butt placing 11th overall
and lost the FS to Daleman :disapp:

As you put it....the golden girl Osmond wasn't expecting to win gold.....she wanted to reach the top ten...she came in 11th. On the other hand, your golden girl Gracie was sure she was going to win gold but only came in 5th. She will probably retire and take up acting.lol. If she is planning to become a Doctor, she better get with the program. She has a long road ahead of her especially if she hasn't finished high school. Oh my. Oh didn't I just read that she is now planning to do Journalism....probably take Tara's job.

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
Congratulations to Gracie on her top 10 finish :agree:

Please enough of this racial ethnic bigotry crap. I'm tired of the PC police telling us what to say or think.

No, not enough. You sound like the type of conservative who thinks that not being able to make a racist joke means you're as oppressed as a minority who is actually suffering from institutionalized racism. Nvm, you probably think there is no more racism in the US because Obama's the president, there's only racism against white people! :laugh::rofl:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think she can do both

Gracie is extremely attractive, beautiful smile, she is blonde, her beauty alone rivals that of many Hollywood stars
she has that charismatic aura on the ice that you cant take your eye off of her
imo one of the most beautiful figure skaters in modern times :yes:

hopefully a win in Boston Worlds
will generate alot of attention and news in US and put FS back in the spotlight

To reiterate the sentiments of Mrs.P and most of the people reading this tripe:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You almost make it sound like she won Worlds. If this is your reaction when she comes 5th, lord help us should she ever manage to win a competition.

It's thanks to continual posts like yours that I don't even need to click from the Smilies list and actually know how to type in "rofl" and "laugh" Smilies off by heart now. :laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also notable, *Julia* placed 2nd and is slated to win the next 3 Worlds more than Gold.

And who could have predicted THAT?!? :sarcasm:

tripletwizzle

Rinkside
Intimidated by her looks? Hardly. She's cute at best. I can find many teenage girls who look like her at the local mall.

And how has Gracie revived US Figure Skating? She hasn't won ANYTHING at the senior level internationally.

She had a great chance to win the bronze medal today and she bombed. Her double axel has become spinny and absolutely awful under Frank Carroll's instruction, and it bit her twice in the free skate. Even "worn out Wagner" with her UR jumps beat her in the free skate.

This. All the hype over Gracie has gotten out of hand. The cold hard truth is that we in the U.S. don't have strong challengers for international titles and we haven't on the ladies' side for a long time now. "Potential" has to translate into wins. How can you be "the next Michelle, the golden girl" if you don't have any gold??

Until Gracie, Ashley, Polina, Karen, Amber, or whomever else actually become the next big thing, let's stop hailing them as such.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
To reiterate the sentiments of Mrs.P and most of the people reading this tripe:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You almost make it sound like she won Worlds. If this is your reaction when she comes 5th, lord help us should she ever manage to win a competition.

It's thanks to continual posts like yours that I don't even need to click from the Smilies list and actually know how to type in "rofl" and "laugh" Smilies off by heart now. :laugh:

your jokes on Gracie are getting boring
your in your face Grace insults will get back at Karma once Gracie wins a Word title or in Boston 2016

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
your in your face Grace insults will get back at Karma once Gracie wins a Word title or in Boston 2016

Here's the funny part. I want Gracie to succeed. Most of us on this board like her.

The schadenfreude of your silly hyping her as the most consistency, a shoe-in for a medal, best jumps, etc. coupled with your disdain for other skaters makes it all too easy for everyone to experience amusement at your expense.

As people have mentioned, it's posters like you who make it hard to root for Gracie (which I do.. I want all skaters to do well) but as disappointed as I am in her that she bombed, I'm glad that we have threads upon threads full of your overhyped comments to amuse us.

You can never say another skater was overhyped when your Gracie propaganda has flooded the board only to have her place off the podium after a mediocre freeskate (which has been typical of her this year). At least Osmond was injured and wasn't expected to do well, but you hyped Gracie to win and she couldn't even medal, let alone execute a simple 2A, twice.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Also, good luck getting Hollywood offers with a 5th at Worlds and no international wins. At least Wagner has wins and a 4th at Worlds.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

You mean like she "got back" at "us" by winning an individual medal in both the Olympics and Worlds and dominating this whole season--just like you predicted?

:disapp:

Here's the funny part. I want Gracie to succeed. Most of us on this board like her.

The schadenfreude of your silly hyping her as the most consistency, a shoe-in for a medal, best jumps, etc. coupled with your disdain for other skaters makes it all too easy for everyone to experience amusement at your expense.

As people have mentioned, it's posters like you who make it hard to root for Gracie (which I do.. I want all skaters to do well) but as disappointed as I am in her that she bombed, I'm glad that we have threads upon threads full of your overhyped comments to amuse us.

You can never say another skater was overhyped when your Gracie propaganda has flooded the board only to have her place off the podium after a mediocre freeskate (which has been typical of her this year). At least Osmond was injured and wasn't expected to do well, but you hyped Gracie to win and she couldn't even medal, let alone execute a simple 2A, twice.

Pretty much.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And Gracie has a 4th at Olympics, which is more impressive than a 4th at Worlds, especially given that no Russian ladies performed well at the Worlds where Ashley finished 4th.

However, neither Gracie nor Ashley has really made it out of the middle of the pack as yet. I think Frank has done a lot with her this last six months. I may find it frustrating that her jumps are now smaller (but landed more frequently), and I might fear that Frank will soon teach her to flutz like most other nice US ladies, but she has learned how to fall without totally imploding, which is a big step for her. Let's give Frank more than 6 months to see what he can make of Gracie before writing her off entirely? :laugh:

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I'm sorry for Gracie, she had a big chance to be on the podium today. I agree her jumps are getting smaller. I was still impressed by the first combination (that was huge) and I thought I'm watching the bronze or maybe even silver medalist. But then she seemed to have problems with the elements and the fall in the end of the program was painful to watch.
And with all the new Russian girls, it will be difficult for her to be on the podium next seasons.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
And Gracie has a 4th at Olympics, which is more impressive than a 4th at Worlds, especially given that no Russian ladies performed well at the Worlds where Ashley finished 4th.

However, neither Gracie nor Ashley has really made it out of the middle of the pack as yet. I think Frank has done a lot with her this last six months. I may find it frustrating that her jumps are now smaller (but landed more frequently), and I might fear that Frank will soon teach her to flutz like most other nice US ladies, but she has learned how to fall without totally imploding, which is a big step for her. Let's give Frank more than 6 months to see what he can make of Gracie before writing her off entirely? :laugh:

Nobody has written her off. 5th is respectable. But based on her results, I'd write her off long before I hyped her up.

sky_fly still probably believes Gold will win the next 3 world titles, even though the Russians will likely hog the podium.