Gracie Gold | Page 62 | Golden Skate

Gracie Gold

jacky

On the Ice
is phil hersh perhaps talking too soon about gracies skating career I don't think it may be over .matter of fact I think its far from over. by her seeking help and still haing a a passion for competing and figure skating in general I still think she will not give up on her goels and keep moving forward. she is strong and I thing she can handle whats ahead for her it just takes time. asher fans we neeed too keep supporting her . love you gracie.:thumbsup:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
is phil hersh perhaps talking too soon about gracies skating career I don't think it may be over .matter of fact I think its far from over. by her seeking help and still haing a a passion for competing and figure skating in general I still think she will not give up on her goels and keep moving forward. she is strong and I thing she can handle whats ahead for her it just takes time. asher fans we neeed too keep supporting her . love you gracie.:thumbsup:

I get the feeling that a lot of us are just SO unsure about what to think. It's hard to find the right balance between being overly optimistic and realistic. Plus I feel like since we haven't seen much of her skating, we're all just doing a lot of guessing. I was surprised that her decision even made the U.S. TV nightly sports news last night (both the National and the Chicago area news). Always wishing her the best! <3

jFarrisFAN

On the Ice
Dave lease said on his recent YouTube video that he was in contact with someone who said Gracie is doing better

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker

It's sad for us but I deeply believe it's good for her. She haven't given up on sport yet and who knows? Maybe she'd come back stronger than ever.
I admire her for stating so clearly that she is tormented by depression. As a person suffering from this illness I know how difficult is to admit it, let alone how difficult it must be for an athlete and a widely recognised public figure. Kudos to her.

nimi

Medalist
It's sad for us but I deeply believe it's good for her. She haven't given up on sport yet and who knows? Maybe she'd come back stronger than ever.
I admire her for stating so clearly that she is tormented by depression. As a person suffering from this illness I know how difficult is to admit it, let alone how difficult it must be for an athlete and a widely recognised public figure. Kudos to her.
THIS. I was sad but also relieved reading the article; relieved because she's willing to admit what she's dealing with (so hard to do!) and take her time. If/when she decides to get back to competitive skating, it needs to be on her own terms and on her own time, not because "gotta make the Oly team cause that's what's expected of me" or whatever.

(One of my favorite skaters is Akiko Suzuki who came back after battling a severe eating disorder and she just got better with age, getting her best results -- e.g. World medal & National title & making the Oly team twice -- when she was in her mid-to-late 20s. More importantly, she was a joy to watch! Even though she had her bad days and bad competitions, too, she clearly enjoyed being out there skating and competing and performing.)

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
THIS. I was sad but also relieved reading the article; relieved because she's willing to admit what she's dealing with (so hard to do!) and take her time. If/when she decides to get back to competitive skating, it needs to be on her own terms and on her own time, not because "gotta make the Oly team cause that's what's expected of me" or whatever.

(One of my favorite skaters is Akiko Suzuki who came back after battling a severe eating disorder and she just got better with age, getting her best results -- e.g. World medal & National title & making the Oly team twice -- when she was in her mid-to-late 20s. More importantly, she was a joy to watch! Even though she had her bad days and bad competitions, too, she clearly enjoyed being out there skating and competing and performing.)

I agree 100%. The Olympics are NOT a good enough reason for her to completely sabotage her recovery and mental health - nothing is! Glad she is taking time off to find herself and her strength again. When she's healthy, if she wants to, she can come back!

liv

Record Breaker
I am very happy that Gracie is taking the steps needed to help herself. I only want to see her compete again when she is healthy and ready to take on the stressful world of competitive skating. The mind is a powerful thing and when she is ready, there are so many things she is capable of achieving, on or off the ice. Good luck to her with her treatment.

Ender

Match Penalty
I feel very sorry for what she has been enduring. Hopefully she will recover well.

jacky

On the Ice
I love gracie she is a very talented figure skater bless her I hope she comes back stronger than ever!:yahoo:

- - - Updated - - -

:pray:I love gracie she is a very talented figure skater bless her I hope she comes back stronger than ever!:yahoo:

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
I agree 100%. The Olympics are NOT a good enough reason for her to completely sabotage her recovery and mental health - nothing is! Glad she is taking time off to find herself and her strength again. When she's healthy, if she wants to, she can come back!

It's true but it's actually so difficult to admit when it comes to depression. It's more like one feels guilty for not being able to overcome the "tiny mental difficulties". It's a disastrous feeling when you know that you want to do something but you can't, simply can't do it. Admitting that it is due to the the ACTUAL problem with your mindset and not laziness/bad attitude takes a lot of courage. I think it made me love Gracie even more :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have not been this bummed since Tai/Randy. That's a long time ago. If she were to want to skate in the US Championships would they let her, or would she have to requalify through Regionals/Sectionals? Maybe not in 2018 but 2019?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
FWIW:

nbcolympics.com added a "Who Is Gracie Gold?" page to the site today.

(In recent days/weeks, nbcolympics.com has been adding many "Who Is ...?" pages about 2018 Olympic hopefuls.)

Along with biographical content, the GG page includes links to two photo galleries: one of GG childhood photos and one of GG photos from the NBC Olympics promotional shoot.

The page ends with:
"In September 2017, Gold announced she would withdraw from her fall Grand Prix assignments while she sought treatment for an eating disorder, anxiety, and depression. More on that here."​

So apparently, nbcolympics.com still has GG on its radar, even after her GP withdrawals.

Some new-to-me bits :cool::

One day, she jokes that she’ll have her own television show that features her skating friends and travel destinations. She promised 2014 Olympic ice dance champions Meryl Davis and Charlie White they could be her first guests!

I had never seen some of the the childhood photos.
And I learned from one of them that GG briefly competed in pairs.​

Continuing best wishes to Gracie :ghug:.

kioewen

Spectator
Hello. I’ve come back here after an absence of – wow, has it been that long?

Anyway, I just recently learned of Gracie Gold’s situation, and I’m kind of heartbroken. Like many people, I admit that my interest in figure skating usually waxes around Olympic time, then wanes afterwards. I adored Gracie when I saw her performances during the last Olympics, but then didn’t follow f.s. in the off years . . . and was astonished to discover, just the other day (via an article in my hometown newspaper) that she has recently had to endure such criticism.

This is doubly dismaying to me, because when I look now at the video of Grace performing to “Bang Bang” during the most recent Stars on Ice tour, my reaction is completely different than that of some commentators. I love it. Seriously and unreservedly love it.

Mind you, personally (it’s just a taste thing, I suppose) I enjoy figure skating less as an athletic event than as a visual performance, and to me, that video is one of the more captivating exhibition clips I’ve ever seen. I’ve always thought that Gracie was the most visually appealing of figure skaters, and her look in that specific performance is, to me, dazzling, and couldn’t be improved. I love the less frenetic, more legato nature of the performance, which creates a glamorous impression -- and that’s a remarkable development from a skater that I recall, some years back, as having more of a winsome quality. Some people claim that she doesn’t look like she’s having “fun” there, but unless I’m misreading it, that would seem to me to be precisely the intent of the number -- to go for more mysterious allure instead of a familiar apple-pie look. (The moment when she lets her hair down kind of takes my breath away.) Also, I really think that she is more appealing with her current look than with the extremely thin frame that many skating fans favor.

Anyway, I suppose it’s an idiosyncratic reaction (or not; likely skating commentary will inevitably consist mostly of those who appreciate it for its athleticism, which I get). But no joke, if I’d been following figure skating at the time of Stars on Ice earlier this year, then I’d have attended the shows expressly to see Gracie perform the programs that she did. And if she were skating in exhibitions right now, I’d buy a ticket.

Well, whether she decides to come back and try for Olympic-level competition is up to her, but I hope at the very least that she continues to perform. And if I were to attend a show in which she looked and skated as she did at Stars on Ice, then I for one would be over the moon. For real. For whatever it's worth.