Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!! | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
My feeling is that Dom had to wait so long for the fabrics that she didn't have enough time to devote to the actual construction of the clothing. Everything looked pretty much the same. One problem with bold prints is that if the dresses are too simple, they tend to look like resort wear.

[cough]Anya[cough cough]

I have to agree about Anya for the most part, although her clothes at least had flow and an intriguing silhouette. She had a wonderful design eye, but her sewing skills were predictably limited. After all, she was a self-taught dressmaker who had only been sewing for a few months, I believe.

One thing that always amuses me is when the show introduces some guy as an important hair/make-up personality. My favorite one so far: the guy who is a "global consultant" on nail polish. Global. So he's a bigger honcho than, say, a regional nail expert or a national nail expert? Is this guy boffo in Belgium?

Layfan

Record Breaker
I have to agree about Anya for the most part, although her clothes at least had flow and an intriguing silhouette. She had a wonderful design eye, but her sewing skills were predictably limited. After all, she was a self-taught dressmaker who had only been sewing for a few months, I believe.

One thing that always amuses me is when the show introduces some guy as an important hair/make-up personality. My favorite one so far: the guy who is a "global consultant" on nail polish. Global. So he's a bigger honcho than, say, a regional nail expert or a national nail expert? Is this guy boffo in Belgium?

Ha! It's true. They take product placement to another galactic level on this show. Even yogurt and bottled water are supposed to be artistic muses.

I was very excited to see the final collections but now am a bit wary after reading the comments from those who peeked. I agree with the judges on the final three although I have to admit that I couldn't get excited about Justin's looks other than the unconventional one, which was spectacular. I did love his necklaces. Alexandria's clothes work well enough for me but she is a one-note. It's too much of the same thing - chic grunge. It's a bit like the woman who goes overboard with wearing a long ethnic skirt with the poofy ethnic blouse and then a whole bunch of beaded bangles. I wish Alexandria would use her grunge inspiration more subtly, just hint at it in her designs. But I think she has to get it out of her system. Still, she seems like a work horse and an interesting person. I'm glad she made it.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like all the designers so whoever wins, I'm OK with it. I'm just glad that Helen isn't a part of it. Even though I like some of her clothes, I got so tired of her when Tim would critique she would say....I worked 2 days on my look and you don't like it!!!! I don't know what to do now.

heyang

Record Breaker
I like all the designers so whoever wins, I'm OK with it. I'm just glad that Helen isn't a part of it. Even though I like some of her clothes, I got so tired of her when Tim would critique she would say....I worked 2 days on my look and you don't like it!!!! I don't know what to do now.

The last few weeks of the season definitely had lots of clips that demonstrated that Helen was a lot more insecure than the other designers. I got tired of her drama, too.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
OTOH, the job Helen did on the Superfan challenge dres was really great :love: I hope she has gained some much needed self confidence from her win. I also hope Miranda takes a lesson from Helen's Superfan Jamie and goes with that look instead of what she was sporting during her time before being aufed (I was so struck by how much Jamie looked like Miranda :eek: )

OTOH, the job Helen did on the Superfan challenge dres was really great :love: I hope she has gained some much needed self confidence from her win. I also hope Miranda takes a lesson from Helen's Superfan Jamie and goes with that look instead of what she was sporting during her time before being aufed (I was so struck by how much Jamie looked like Miranda :eek: )

You know, you're right! I hadn't made that connection before.

Helen did do some wonderful clothes and won quite a few of the challenges. But I imagine that if she wants to work in the fashion industry, she'll need to develop some behavioral skills that she doesn't yet have. She can't be a shrinking violet and run a fashion house or a business.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They have a marathon going on today. One of the things I didn't see as clearly as I am today is they focused a lot on the drama. I would like to see more of the techniques used but I guess drama sells. Can't wait for tonight's finale.

I was a bit surprised because from the actual final collections, I stopped being sure. But I'm glad about the winner! The final show was a lot better than I thought it would be from the advance photographs. Some of the outfits were wonderful. I was a lot more impressed with Alexandria's than I had been. You can see Justin's architectural background in his interesting clothing. Also, this was also an especially likable quartet, I thought. They are all so nice.

One thing I was sorry about with Dom's collection was that there wasn't much variety of shape. Also, the Tide dress used prints and solids in such a wonderful way that I wished that she had combined them in some other garments. Some of those prints were so huge and dominant that I couldn't see many people wearing them. But I do love her work, and I am glad she did so well.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I have decided that the peplum is to the 20teens what the pouf skirt and neon was to the 1980s. It's going to date horribly in 20 years. So will sheer overlays over mini skirts/shorts.

Yup, Bradon is the new Daniel V. Why don't shiny shiny satins ever really work in final collections? They're like the Dowager Countess of PR fabrics.

I still think Alexandra should have won--it was the most cohesive collection (you can now call me a fan of slouch chic). But Dom is such a sweetheart I was glad she took it. In fact, this was such a strange season, with some of THE most unlikeable people ever and some real sweethearts. On the whole, though, I thought it was one of the best finals they've had. Certainly the best overall since Lifetime took over the franchise.

Is Dom the first African American winner? I think she might be.

One thing that struck me, partly because Alexandria is so tall, is how petite Dom, Helen, and Kate are. Dom is a real powerhouse, though--what a sparkling personality, and she seems to be able to get attention without being either outrageous or mean. I noticed her upbeat attitude from just about the first episode.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Dom the first African American winner? I think she might be.

On one of the blogs there was quite a discussion about whether she would be the first Black American to win or whether Justin would be the first Deaf American to win.

WeakAnkles, I also liked Alexandria's collection. There is just something about her designs that intrigue me. Glad to see you're a fan too.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did anyone watch the reunion??? I thought it was very interesting. I also like it because Tim was the only one involved with the designers.

I watched part of it and then got a phone call. I was surprised at how nice and how outgoing Ken was. I guess he's one of those folk who is two people. (His mother made some reference to that in a phone call they showed.) The bad guy leaps out and then just goes dormant after an outburst.

I hope they show it online; I'd like to see the rest.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well I think that was the closest Mr Gunn has ever gotten to really losing it on air. But I do think that all "reality" shows are, to a large extent, sculpted if not scripted. Interesting how Ken came off far less crazy than he did on the show, but Helen, Alexander, and Jeremy came off worse (I was particularly surprised at how bitter Alexander--who was one of my 'personalities' of the season--appears to be about the whole thing).

Yes Olympia--the episode is up on the projectrunway.com site. They usually only keep it up for a week, so check it out while you can. One of the more interesting of the reunion shows, that's fer shure!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the more interesting of the reunion shows, that's fer shure!

WeakAnkles, I thought it was too. I was surprised at Alexander too. Although, I kind of agree with them and I was surprised at Tim's response; which was dismissing them. It was their opinion. I was also surprised at how Helen was trying to make Alexandria say things. Why do you care???

heyang

Record Breaker
This cast continues to be more interesting than some of the other past casts. There was definitely more tension amongst them.

I do agree that the judges will have their favorites - after all, they are human. Each likes certain styles and looks - all you can ask is that they be open minded to new looks, etc. That's why there are multiple judges. Someone like Alexandria should probably appreciate that since it was Heidi who likely put her I the final 4.

As one of you mentioned, I don't think reality is scripted, but it's definitely sculpted. The more 'boring' seasons are he one's where everyone is 'nice' all of the time - no drama. The cast makes the show - the producer's don't force them to do or say anything, but they will definitely highlight the 'best' and 'worst'.

I think Ken knows that he has anger issues and that's 1/2 the battle towards managing them. He at least realizes that he overreacts. ....and as every cast has pointed out, it's exhausting, which seldom brings out the best in every one.