Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!! | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
WeakAnkles, did you see Bradon's collection in person??? If you did, lucky you. I understand where you're coming from. I liked Daniel V. very much...I guess it's all in how we see things.

I know what you mean about Daniel's final collection, Ankles.

Dee, I think they have the collections online already, or at least parts of them, because Fashion Week has actually taken place. Let's delve around on the Web and see if we can find it; I know I saw a piece or two on some site last week.

My touchstones are Christian Siriano's collection (with a lot of structured jackets) and Michelle's from last year (remember those sweaters?). I'm hoping that at least one designer's collection this year makes me feel that excited.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Braden's final collection, and it sort of struck me as similar to Daniel V in that it just wasn't as creative as the work he did in the challenges.

I just looked at the collections online, I am not sure that any of them had a "WOW" factor except for one and it was a surprise.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I just looked at the collections online, I am not sure that any of them had a "WOW" factor except for one and it was a surprise.
Which one? I was pleasantly surprised by Justin's collection, which was cohesive and far more polished than anything he produced on the show (the game show format can be a killer and is probably not representative of most designers' best work). Same with Alexandria's collection (though the money skirt was just pure camp). Helen and Braden, I thought, produced majorly disappointing collections, given the quality of the work they produced through the season. And I did like some pieces from each of the other designers. But nothing on the whole, like say Michelle's collection from last season or the collections from the Bravo years.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Actually, I was very surprised at Alexandria's collection. I liked Justin's very much and was totally shocked at Dom's ... shocked as in not a good shock. I like Dom very much. If you look back, I mentioned that I would like to see a collection from Alexandria and was pleasantly surprised. I actually thought Alexandria was always a hit & miss designer but there was something about the things she did that intrigued me.

heyang

Record Breaker
Good for Chris! I'm glad to see him out there making a buck doing his own quirky thing.

I saw them at a Target near work on Friday evening and not many had sold. I was at a 2nd Target close to home and they seemed to have sold pretty well. Only a few 3 left.

Actually, I was very surprised at Alexandria's collection. I liked Justin's very much and was totally shocked at Dom's ... shocked as in not a good shock. I like Dom very much. If you look back, I mentioned that I would like to see a collection from Alexandria and was pleasantly surprised. I actually thought Alexandria was always a hit & miss designer but there was something about the things she did that intrigued me.

Oh, rats. I am sorry Dom's collection didn't live up to her promise. I remember Michael Knight's final collection was a huge letdown, and he was my favorite from that year. But Dom is such an interesting, creative person that she will end up doing well in the industry, I'm sure. Remember that Austin Scarlett was eliminated before the finals in the first season, and he immediately was hired to work for a wedding gown designer--the perfect job for him.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Olympia--I don't know if you follow Tom and Lorenzo, who blog Project Runway and whose site is one of my favorite on the web. They have all of the collections (just look under the television tab for Project Runway--I don't believe there is a search engine on the site). It's snarky gay bitchery at its finest--their take on celebrity fashion is reliably hilarious--but they really know what they're talking about. If you're a Mad Men fan, read all of their analyses of Mad Men costumes. It's genius--I learned a ton about costume design, not just on MM, but in general. The fans there are called Bitter Kittens (of BKs). Also they used to do something called Musical Mondays--it's under the Movie tab--where they rip into classical musicals. Highly recommended. And highly addictive!
tomandlorenzo.com

I just found it. What a great site! Seeing Dom's collection, I am relieved, because I like it a lot. But none of the groupings knocks me out the way Michelle's did last season, or Christian Siriano's did in his year.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yay! More Bitter Kittens! It really is a great site. I was rereading some of the Musical Monday posts and laughing my head off. Wickedly funny. Glad you enjoy!

So who do you think will be the one person they'll eliminate next week? Because I'm betting they'll do a 4 person finale. I suspect it might be Helen (I can just hear Michael Kors saying, why are they wearing vagina loincloths?)...

Most of the designers I wanted are in the finale! There were some gorgeous dresses shown on this semifinal episode. What did everyone think about the three contenders for the last runway spots? I pretty much agreed with the judges.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
HA! HA! I called it. I just had a feeling Helen would be aufed.

Well Justin's test tube dress was the win of the night for me.

Me, too, Ankles.

But when I look at the actual final collections on that blog site you told me about, I found pretty much all of them disappointing. Dom didn't do a single dress that approached the gorgeous coat/jumpsuit combination she conjured up last week, but no one else did either. To me there's no clear winner.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Olympia I completely agree. I was pleasantly surprised by Justin's collection because it was miles in quality above what he produced on the show. But as a NYFW collection? It's a bit high end department store for that. Same with all the other designers. Some really nice individual pieces, but nothing that says High End COLLECTION. I know alot of people were turned off by Michelle's personality last season (I actually really liked her), but that was a COLLECTION.

My gut feeling is that Dom will probably get it--despite the Diana Ross in Mahogany styling--but that's just my initial gut feeling. And if not Dom, then Justin.

My feeling is that Dom had to wait so long for the fabrics that she didn't have enough time to devote to the actual construction of the clothing. Everything looked pretty much the same. One problem with bold prints is that if the dresses are too simple, they tend to look like resort wear.