Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!! | Golden Skate

Project Runway - Season 12 Begins 7-18-13!!!

I'm here watching. I just missed the first few minutes of the pre-show. Some very interesting clothing made by the contestants, though I fear that many of the interesting ones will be weeded out because their methods and techniques are too labor-intensive and time-consuming. Some of the contestants are also very stubborn. One doesn't know how to use a sewing machine. Another two don't believe that they really, truly have to create a garment that's made mostly of the parachute material. One contestant said that the parachute material is too hard to sew with. Tim said politely that this is why they were given this material as a challenge.

The runway show should be interesting. I have a few favorites already, some because of their clothes and some because of their personalities, but I don't know how they will fare yet. It's great to have the show back!

ETA: Cripes, there's one guy who's choreographing his model to tell a story of war and anguish as she kind of lurches across the runway....this is going to be one heck of a show.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Olympia, I can't wait for the runway show...exciting. What do you think about them having their own budget??? The 2 that have caught my eye are: Bradon McDonald and Jeremy Brandrick. We'll talk later!!! :laugh: :laugh:

At this point, I'm sure we'll have a LOT to say. Someone is not completely covered. And then there's our friend the eco-conscious guy, who wouldn't let the hairstylist use "anything electrical" or any products with--well, any products at all, it seems. Luckily that girl is so stunning that she could proceed down the runway in a paper bag and look better than I ever looked in my entire life.

heyang

Record Breaker
Did not agree with who got kicked off this week. It wasn't that the person wasn't lower, but not the worst.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And then there's our friend the eco-conscious guy, who wouldn't let the hairstylist use "anything electrical" or any products with--well, any products at all, it seems. Luckily that girl is so stunning that she could proceed down the runway in a paper bag and look better than I ever looked in my entire life.

Can you tell me why he's wearing heels?? I think he should have gone home, his design was terrible. He got put in his place and I hope he's learned a lesson.

I agree heyang I think a couple of others should have gone home.

I agree too, Heyang. I think they might have kept the other two bottom guys because their personalities will lead to sparks.

Dee, you called it well! Your favorite did a wonderful job. One of my faves, Sue Waller, also did well. I feared for her at first because she usually sews by hand and might not be able to keep up timewise (and indeed had to be helped with the machine), but her garment was stunning. She may be one of those original thinkers like Anya who really can deal with all the pressure and the weird assignments. I adore the silhouettes of her clothing that she showed at her audition: they were fitted but with interesting curves and structures, almost organic. I'd love to be able to make items like that. They're the kinds of articles that look good on a lot of people because they depend on beauty of line but aren't so revealing that you have to have a perfect body to wear them.

Interestingly, I was looking through a bunch of photos of Princess Diana from the early eighties, when shoulders and flounces were in (and some of those looks have dated badly). It's amazing how many of her more elaborate gowns had long sleeves. (Later, her clothes were more pared down.) I like the idea of more covered-up looks being elegant and even sexy. This might explain why I loved Christian Siriano's final runway show. It was mostly really exciting jackets and pants. Hey, I could have rocked those! (Well, not in any glamorous way....)

Layfan

Record Breaker
I agree too, Heyang. I think they might have kept the other two bottom guys because their personalities will lead to sparks.

Totally and let's face it... who doesn't want keep the hilarity around for at least one more episode? The sight of that dude in his ridiculous heels next to that poor miserable girl in her burned and wrinkled dress with no make up on has to be one of the most spectacularly cringe-worthy moments on Project Runway. However, you are so right that she looked gorgeous nonetheless. She should secretly be thrilled for such publicity :)

I agree, Layfan. To show her face without makeup, so that everyone knows that her real face that God gave her is that beautiful, could actually be a benefit to her. No one has to paint a face on her!

Two women in the public eye who were well-known for wearing no makeup at certain times were Ingrid Bergman at the start of her Hollywood career and Carolyn Bessette Kennedy. They'd show up near the top of any list of gorgeous ladies, and they didn't owe a smidge of it to Max Factor or Cover Girl. This new young one, with her pre-Raphaelite hair and her Da Vinci face, should hold her head up and smile. The guy is a bit oblivious to life, but the model came out of it with some pretty good cred.

I liked that dress and the runner-up. It's amazing that this luridly colored fabric, which must be pure misery to sew with, can be made into real clothing. The winning dress had such a wonderful floaty quality, and the bodice was beautifully cut and shaped.

Layfan

Record Breaker
I liked that dress and the runner-up. It's amazing that this luridly colored fabric, which must be pure misery to sew with, can be made into real clothing. The winning dress had such a wonderful floaty quality, and the bodice was beautifully cut and shaped.

One of the blogs said the two designers were smart not to "torture" the parachute fabric and instead use it organically. All I know is that if it were me up there on any of those challenges I'd be a deer stuck in headlights. Now that I play playdoh with my child I'm reminded how torturous art class was for me. I'm pretty much stuck on play doh snails and snowmen although today I did make a fairly realistic carrot.

However, I'm happy in my role as amateur critic.:)

One of the blogs said the two designers were smart not to "torture" the parachute fabric and instead use it organically. All I know is that if it were me up there on any of those challenges I'd be a deer stuck in headlights. Now that I play playdoh with my child I'm reminded how torturous art class was for me. I'm pretty much stuck on play doh snails and snowmen although today I did make a fairly realistic carrot.

However, I'm happy in my role as amateur critic.:)

That's an important job, Layfan. And one I do as well. After all, if this show didn't have an involved audience, it wouldn't be able to continue! I speak as someone whose sewing skills can best be described as self-taught, non-machine-based (I don't know how to use one), and small scale (doll clothes only). This qualifies me eminently as a sewing critic. Right? Save me a seat.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I totally disagree with the designer sent home. Of the 3 in the bottom, I thought Kahindo's design was the best. Timothy & Helen's designs were terrible & the construction was worse. I am not sure why the judges are keeping Timothy and this week, I'm not sure about Helen. I thought Kate's dress was of a time gone by...I thought some of the other designers like Dom & Justin's designs were better.

I liked the winner, but then I'm not generally up on what is dated and what isn't. As for Timothy, could they be keeping him because he's so odd that he creates excitement onscreen? I thought that his combination of fabrics was awful this week and fully expected him to be out. Who knows?

In any case, I'm not looking forward to next week. I dislike when they use things like toys and car seats for their fabrics. But someone always surprises with a beautiful, clever outfit. I wonder whether Timothy will have trouble using such synthetic materials so wastefully.

louisa05

Final Flight
Kahindo's was not suitable for the challenge and Zach Posen was not wrong that you can find it on a sale rack in many department stores. That dress could go to the office with a jacket which made it just odd to be showing it with that jewelry.

I see Kate's as something that would be in a fashion magazine pictorial, although it really wasn't terribly original. I kind of felt like I had seen it before in that context.

But, Louisa, it was so pretty! I know, I know...I'm a sucker for silver dresses with elaborate skirts. I never get tired of them.

louisa05

Final Flight
But, Louisa, it was so pretty! I know, I know...I'm a sucker for silver dresses with elaborate skirts. I never get tired of them.

I liked it, too. And the win didn't bother me at all. It really stood out compared to the rest in color and style and taking a risk.