How old is too old? | Golden Skate

How old is too old?

Emmi

Spectator
So...

I'm a beginner when it comes to skating. I haven't signed up for any classes yet, but I figured I should learn some skating terminology before I start. I'm gonna ask some questions.

*How old is too old to start skating?
*How old is too old to become serious about skating?
*I'm EXTREMELY flexible, will that help me?

Thanks!
Emmi

FSGMT

Record Breaker
So...

I'm a beginner when it comes to skating. I haven't signed up for any classes yet, but I figured I should learn some skating terminology before I start. I'm gonna ask some questions.

Thanks!
Emmi
NEVER!!
Well, becoming serious is another thing ;) And, the flexibility might help you, but it isn't such an important factor at the beginning...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Never. I started in my early twenties.

If by "serious" you mean Olympics/Worlds/internationals, then I think Johnny Weir holds the record of the oldest to start and go on, at 12. And he was a superfreak talent (that he's sadly wasted). The usual age is anywhere between three and nine.

Only for spirals and a couple of spins and even then that's more about leg strength than flexibility. And spirals are a LONG way in your future if you're just a beginner. Those spins that need it? Years away, possibly. Flexibility is NOT a necessity in figure skating in spite of what some will try and tell you.

Thanks!
Emmi[/QUOTE]

sarahspins

Rinkside
You are never too old to start, you are never too old to take it seriously (at any level), and flexibility can be helpful for some things (ina bauers, spread eagles, some harder spins), but it is definitely not a requirement.. and not being flexible won't really hold you back from being able to do most things, the only thing that truly will hold you back not getting enough practice time in, which is something that most adults struggle with (most just don't/can't skate as much as the kids do, which really slows their progress).

tulosai

Record Breaker
Pretty much what others have said. You can start skating at any age (my mom started at 55!) and you can be serious about it at any age. You can also compete, and potentially win competitions, at any age, but if what you mean is when do you have to start to make it to the Olympics, 3-8 is the 'normal' range. 11 or 12 would be extremely late.

As for flexibility, at least at the beginning, it is not much help. Core strength is way more important. However, flexibility will enable you to do cool 'tricks' further on up the road.

Good luck!

mskater93

Record Breaker
I met a gentleman at competition this last weekend who started at 70 and is now 83, so it's never too old to start. Flexibility can help and hurt depending on what you are working on, but to start, not so much.

figure_skater_72

Rinkside
A lot of people are saying it's never too old to start skating. I honestly think that if you're extremely old and skating is putting your health at risk, then don't try. Of course, anyone can go to the rink and just have a skate around, even those with fragile bone structures, but if you're thinking of starting ice skating seriously and you know it could seriously damage you, my advice is take it easy :)

mskater93

Record Breaker
Figure_skater_72, this isn't true. As I said, I met a gentlemen who started at SEVENTY and is currently 83. He is competitive in the Adult Bronze category. While his progress is slow and there are many things he will never learn to do, it wasn't too late. Very few people who start even at very young ages ever acheive a double Axel or triple jumps, anyway, so why limit yourself because "you are too old".

gkelly

Record Breaker
If you're too infirm to skate safely, then find something safer to do instead. Or just glide around on two feet if you can manage that and enjoy the sensation of gliding.

But what age skating on edges and the various elaborations thereof that constitute figure skating becomes impossible or unsafe will be different for different individuals -- you can't put a number to it that will apply to everyone.

treesprite

Final Flight
Never too old to start skating.

I would like to say though, that you need to be aware of your true physical limitations (things you can't change) and customize your skating goals around them. This is true of everyone of any age, but especially older adults who are more prone to health issues.

figure_skater_72

Rinkside
Figure_skater_72, this isn't true. As I said, I met a gentlemen who started at SEVENTY and is currently 83. He is competitive in the Adult Bronze category. While his progress is slow and there are many things he will never learn to do, it wasn't too late. Very few people who start even at very young ages ever acheive a double Axel or triple jumps, anyway, so why limit yourself because "you are too old".

I am not saying limit yourself because you are "simply too old". I am saying know your physical boundaries and health risks before you start.

Anyone is entitled to start when they're 70 like the man in the example you gave. Good for him! But let's just say he has a dodgy ankle which sprains and does not support his body when he lands jumps. That is a physical boundary, and he needs to be careful when jumping, or his ankle could be forever damaged.

This does not only apply to elderly people, it applies to everyone. And that is what I meant in my first post. You need to know your own physical boundaries before you begin, or else you could seriously damage something. Older people may not even have obvious health factors put at risk while skating, which is fine for them, and they can just go for it!

If you're deciding to start figure skating, age doesn't matter. Physical limitations do, and they need to be considered.

When I started to learn how to skate in my late twenties, I remember watching this very old couple skating (who were also beginner level skaters) in the same public session as me and being very jealous at how they were much more progressed than me. ;)

treesprite

Final Flight
An example of knowing personal limitations related to age:
I have what my dr called "severe" osteoporosis. I decided that I need to stop competing with myself to do everything I could as a kid, so I don't plan on doing much with jumps. It's fine with me, since I will still be able to do shows and compete artistic programs at my old level without them (when I get back the rest of the stuff).

gkelly

Record Breaker
There are plenty of figure skating skills to work on and even compete with without having to jump at all.