The decision that boiled your blood | Page 4 | Golden Skate

The decision that boiled your blood

minze

Medalist
Bow for the Queen People:bow: LoL. What boils my blood is when someone says skater x won because skater y made silly mistakes they would not normally make. No. skater y won because she was better than skater x at that event.

Krislite

Medalist
What makes my blood boil is the OTT fans in this sport trying to trivialize other people's opinions. For example, whenever people post "negative" things about Yuna Kim (I don't like her free foot position, her spins aren't special, or whatever) that person is immediately labeled a "Yuna hater", even if that may not be the case.

Uh oh, I don't think Yuna has perfect spins and spirals, either. Guess that means I've been a Yuna-hater all along. Who knew!? When can I expect the pitchforks and to be burned at the stake? :biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's so amazing! That the whole reason for sending Kovtun changed to! All for Kovtun's benefit! He wasn't there to do well or anything just to compete there! Results were irrelevant and unimportant! It's amazing how at every step everything is always for Kovtun's good PR. He needed to replace Menshov for Euros because he's so good and so amazing and even when he doesn't even medal at Euros because of 2A in SP and 4 full combos because he thought 4 were allowed or something it described as amazing! Then he goes to worlds and bombs doing a 3T+1T combo in the SP its a great success because he got his name out there! He was in front of international judges! It's all just a big success! All because he did well at the JRGPF! Menshov gets to 4th places at the GP series and can't even go to Euros! This is never going to be explained in a satisfactory way to me! It's like hes the son of someone HUGE and so important that the whole Russian federation must be stupid!

Both Farris and Kovtun have two Senior GP assignments this season. I will be interested to see who does better. And I'd be willing to bet it won't be Menshov.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
D'you reckon it's ever possible to have a thread the Yuna fans vs Maobots don't take over?

The decision that boils my blood is that a second gold medal was handed out. Nope. B/S are the SLC champions and fair and square.

ITA re the 2002 Pairs result. Here's one for the Yuna fans: Yu Na's LP placing first over Mao's at the 2010 WC.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Since this was under the old scoring system and the jumps were everything I just thought Goebel was cleaner (I think Yagudin fell) and deserved it on the tech score.

The jumps were never everything.

And Yagudin skated perfectly at 2002 Worlds. There was absolutely no way he should have lost.

MiRé

Match Penalty
ITA re the 2002 Pairs result. Here's one for the Yuna fans: Yu Na's LP placing first over Mao's at the 2010 WC.

Yuna's GOE from her triple triple and flip covered her 3S, and her GOE from 3Lz and 2A+3T covered her mistake in 2A. Of course Mao had a better run comparing side by side, but I don't think it was worthy of 150+ or even 140+ program. She underrotated her 3A combo which is pretty costly considering that's what Mao wanted to gain points from.

Now before you comment on how Yuna gets ridiculous amount of GOE, PCS queen, other blah blah blahs, think about this.
Should a skater like Mao automatically receive +3's or +2's on her 3A because she's the only one who can execute them? No. There are guide lines that tells if a certain jump deserves a positive GOE. If Mao wants to gain +3s on her 3A, she should follow the guide lines. (maybe an ina bauer to 3A:love:) I personally think Yuna's scores were fair and so were Mao's. A well executed jumps should definitely scored higher than poorly, but fully rotated jumps. And in this case, 3t+3lz vs 3A.

backspin

On the Ice
I know B&K fell during the ending pose but that wasn't on an element.

I haven't read through the whole thread, but just in case this wasn't commented on---the problem is that there's a rule that says you cannot finish the program laying on the ice. Their fall forced this to happen, as they went down just as the music ended. It made for a mandatory deduction. Heartbreaking, IMO, yes, but that was why.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I haven't read through the whole thread, but just in case this wasn't commented on---the problem is that there's a rule that says you cannot finish the program laying on the ice. Their fall forced this to happen, as they went down just as the music ended. It made for a mandatory deduction. Heartbreaking, IMO, yes, but that was why.

My memory can be sketchy... but wasn't the fall on a lift at the very end of the program? I think I recall they fell on the exit of the lift, and the program ended almost immediately thereafter... so they fell on the element AND ended the program on the ice... a double-whammy.

Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly...

LRK

Record Breaker
Both Farris and Kovtun have two Senior GP assignments this season. I will be interested to see who does better. And I'd be willing to bet it won't be Menshov.

You mean Kovtun? You had another post where Menshov's name suddenly popped up, when I think you meant Kovtun. I'm not asking to be mean, or nitpicky - only it can get a bit confusing at times! :)

bara1968

On the Ice
There are a lot of performances that deserve to have a large gap between the marks, IMO. We should see more judging outcomes like that. Too many times in the past, technically strong performances receive high marks for Artistry/PCS that are undeserved. And quite a few performances that were some of the best ever in terms of Artistry/PCS have been held down because of lower technical content.

Oh, this is interesting point. I get your point but under current judging system, as you already know very well, half the PCS is really tech score (skating skills, transitions) which is correlated to (in broaden sense) GOE marks, or even base value. i.e. if you have more transitions going into jumps than you may get higher GOE etc, or if you don't have superior S/S and miss control the chances are you may make mistakes at some point-> lower BV.

Therefore, IMO, if judging was fair under current judging system, then TES and PCS gap should not be too big. (For lady's LP, if the gap is more than 10+, I check the protocol right away.) Of course PCS can still reflect superior choreo etc, but it is only 1/5 of total PCS. And IMO, P/E should get punished if a skater makes multiple mistakes.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not sure about the years but here goes. Yagudin's Gold over Gable's Silver at 2002 (?) World's. I doubt anyone will agree with me. As for presentation I do remember Yagudin seemed flat unlike his usual dynamic thoroughly committed self.

I don't agree if it was 2002 Worlds. 2002 Worlds was right after the Olympics which Alexei won and his World programs were electric.

Alexei's 2002 World's SP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyjX2N18EF8

Alexei's 2002 World's LP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uutt5Hszqhc

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
My memory can be sketchy... but wasn't the fall on a lift at the very end of the program? I think I recall they fell on the exit of the lift, and the program ended almost immediately thereafter... so they fell on the element AND ended the program on the ice... a double-whammy.

Maybe I'm just not remembering correctly...

Yeah, it was on the end of a lift, as another poster pointed out to me. I now remember the lift, when he sort of swung her around.

prettykeys

Medalist
I'd hardly have any problem if it was just that. If you want to defend Yuna, do it by defending Yuna and her qualities, not by bickering about another skater. It's fine to say you disagree, explain why, or tell someone say repeated that opinion enough. But getting 'revenge' by turning it around and doing the same the first poster did... that's not going to help, that's childish. All it does is starting fan wars. (Reminds me of when a poster said Yunas jumps looked a little Kanako-like now, and a Yuna fan needed to replay "Yes, thay both have huge, fully-rotated flips, in contrast to a certain other skater" - a side blow towards Mao, who wasn't even mentioned before.) If that's the reaction everytime someone just says something slightly not-positive about Yuna, what else is this than 'forbidding others from not thinking Yuna is plain perfect and the best ever'?
The problem with sanctimonious posters like you is that they inevitably show their bias because they will criticize the responders and never the instigators particularly when the instigators happen to be *gasp* fans of the same skaters favoured by said finger-waggers.

You know what's childish? (and IMO, also creepy and bizarre)--bringing up a completely different discussion that happened months ago and quoting almost verbatim my post. I will also point out how you refer to the poster as a mere "poster" and not a Mao fan making that ridiculous comparison to begin with. The entire point of my comment was that instead of nitpicking YuNa's flip, perhaps they should critique the weaknesses of their own favourite first. But like I said, your bias is blatantly showing.

And it's true that both YuNa and Kanako have triple flips that have good height. Heaven forbid I make a positive comparison instead of letting the comment alone with the negative slant regarding YuNa's phantom hammertoe that has only ever circulated around rabid Maobot circles. :rolleye: It wasn't a comment that was merely "not-positive", it was delusional.

Saying such BS is calling for a fight.
Yeah, no kidding. But of course it's the person who answers who is criticized, and the instigator is left completely alone. :rolleye:

There are a lot of performances that deserve to have a large gap between the marks, IMO. We should see more judging outcomes like that. Too many times in the past, technically strong performances receive high marks for Artistry/PCS that are undeserved. And quite a few performances that were some of the best ever in terms of Artistry/PCS have been held down because of lower technical content.
*cough* Miki Ando *cough*

I totally disagree Moment-she is the skating skills equivalent of Patch, and Gordeeva.
As much as I love me some Carolina Kostner and can accept her being comparable to Katia Gordeeva, there is NO WAY she comes anywhere near PChan. He is an absolute wizard with his blades. :bow:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
You mean Kovtun? You had another post where Menshov's name suddenly popped up, when I think you meant Kovtun. I'm not asking to be mean, or nitpicky - only it can get a bit confusing at times! :)

*facepalm*

Of course, of course. Menshov only got one assignment, lucky folks at Skate America. Kovtun and Farris both got two and it will be my guess that Farris will do better. We will even see them head-to-head I think - Farris got CoR, didn't Kovtun, too?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
As you mention, the overscoring in the ladies regarding a certain great skater definitely makes my blood boil. It's so frustrating to see the judges continually overscore her even when she stumbles and/or falls multiple times (which has been a frequent occurrence throughout her career). At this last year's Worlds she fell hard on her combo in the SP and still scored the second highest SP score. She also posted a personal best in the LP despite falling flat on her last jump and singling the loop. She even won a World title the previous year with some of the easiest jump layout since the 1980's. Like that male skater who falls a lot and still gets excessive scores, she too has perhaps the finest skating skills ever, which apparently is so valuable that the judges overlook her flaws and falls, however numerous they may be.

Clever, but maybe I meant Kostner, lol. Seriouly, the Kimflation at Olys and 2013 worlds is mindboggling. Deserved wins but the point spread in Vancouver was crazy I thought. And Krislite is right as Caro, Mao and other WC's get help up to. How I wish for more fair scoring, esp Akiko.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Tara and Michelle completed the same number of triples in 1998--7. It's not the reason that Tara won. The combinations that they attempted were totally different, and the way that they executed their programs was also different from how they executed them at Nationals.

I have never made up my mind. Both were extraordinary, but Lyra was so special. Kwan didn't miss a thing. Tara was a true phenom. All 3 were stunning in Nagano, what a podium that was.

gmyers

Record Breaker
*facepalm*

Of course, of course. Menshov only got one assignment, lucky folks at Skate America. Kovtun and Farris both got two and it will be my guess that Farris will do better. We will even see them head-to-head I think - Farris got CoR, didn't Kovtun, too?

They will face off there! Unlike kovtun Farris wasn't pushed into a bunch of events he did nothing to earn his way to! The Russian fed was just all "let's just all collectively lose our minds because of a jrgpf win!" I just hope kovtun being giving a bunch of events he did nothing to deserve has harmed training or made him lazy! He did 3 months of total coasting after he showed POTENTIAL to do well in seniors during the JRGP! Not "he is all ready let's all act there's no difference between Jrs and srs!" so he does know medal winning and success in Jrs so he must be horrified at how he performed no matter what the Russian fed is saying how worlds was a great triumph because he got his name out there!