Piper Gilles' Citizenship Drive in Time for Sochi | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles' Citizenship Drive in Time for Sochi

rvi5

On the Ice
The "citizenship by descent" law only applies to first generation children...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009.asp

If I am not mistaken, Piper's grandmother was Canadian. The law permits Piper's mother to apply for citizenship by descent. However since Piper is second generation born outside of Canada, she does not qualify under the changes.

What I don't understand is, this law was enacted as of 2009 according to the website. Piper and Paul did not get together until 2011. I was under the impression Piper's mother applied to activate her Canadian citizenship hoping to speed Piper's application. Did they not know about the 2009 law, or was there another plan?

coppertop1

On the Ice
The third spot for Ice Dance at Canadians is wide open. Virtue/Moir are a lock, and I'd say it's safe to say Weaver/Poje are more than likely a lock on silver. Bronze is anyone's for the taking, it will likely be between Gilles/Porier (providing she gets her citizenship on time), Paul/Islam, Ralph/Hill, and Orford/Williams. So Gilles Porier aren't a lock for the team. A medal? I don't think so, top 15 is possible.

Caitlyn Weaver was born in the US, but has represented Canada for most of her career.

Great Idea for a threat for Canadian Ice Dance thread! Ice Dance in Canada is the best I think it's ever been!

ucrgirl

On the Ice
At first I had no opinion on Pipers citizenship. But their awesome freelance made me hope they get on the Oly team. That dance is innovative and awesome and "deserves" to be displayed on the Olympic stage.

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
Just saw on Piper's facebook page from a friend a congratulations message about a swearing in ceremony but nothing official posted yet.
Now the message is MIA.
So I'm just guessing that she's got her citizenship now.

Not that I'm really pushing for them.. Really want Paul/Islam to go as they have shown so much improvement this year!!

moon

On the Ice
I saw the same thing about a swearing in ceremony. She probably doesnt want anyone to know so that her detractors don't raise a fuss and complain. I sure hope she didnt jump the line in front of some other deserving people that have been waiting longer. I will never understand how she is viewed as providing some sort of special service to Canada.

MalloryArcher

On the Ice
I saw the same thing about a swearing in ceremony. She probably doesnt want anyone to know so that her detractors don't raise a fuss and complain. I sure hope she didnt jump the line in front of some other deserving people that have been waiting longer. I will never understand how she is viewed as providing some sort of special service to Canada.

There's not really a "queue" to jump when it comes to naturalization. A decision on her case won't affect other applications in any way, there's not a quota or anything you can't go above. Plus I don't really know what "deserving" means in this context.

Anyway, isn't her Mom Canadian? Is there a return migration policy in Canada she is using?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Anyway, isn't her Mom Canadian? Is there a return migration policy in Canada she is using?

The fact that Mama Gilles acquired Canadian citizenship has no bearing on Piper's application for citizenship for herself, according to posts earlier in this thread (including, but not limited to, those at the links below).

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her GRANDMOTHER is a Canadian citizen, but her mother was born in the US. Her mother recently applied for Canadian citizenship but the law had been changed and that no longer helped Piper.

rvi5

On the Ice
Initially I heard Pipers mother applied to activate her Canadian citizenship to help speed Pipers application, but that does not make sense given the 2009 changes to the immigration act. It seems likely Piper's people would have contacted an immigration lawyer to discuss her situation, so they must have known about the changes to the law. I can only assume Piper's mother activated her citizenship because it would look better when Piper's case is reviewed. It is less impressive if the active Canadian connections are a grandmother and cousins, or if it became known Piper's mother qualified for citizenship by descent, but had no interest. Especially when Piper would like special treatment by having her citizenship application accelerated. It also doesn't hurt Piper's case when they consider she is attending university in Canada (Ryerson).

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is an article in the Toronto Star today stating that Piper Gillies has received her citizenship.

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=ht...-2014-piper-gilles-lands-canadian-citizenship

Seriously how long has Gillies even live in Canada? Tanith lived in the US for over 7 years and still had to get a special act from Congress to get her citizenship before the 2006 Olympics otherwise she was going to have to sit out another Olympics. And Piper is not even nearly as accomplished as Tanith was.

ucrgirl

On the Ice
This great news. Now they just have to qualify, but I think they have a fighting chance.

wasabi

On the Ice
At first I had no opinion on Pipers citizenship. But their awesome freelance made me hope they get on the Oly team. That dance is innovative and awesome and "deserves" to be displayed on the Olympic stage.

I honestly do not understand why clever choreography should promote a skater/team to outstanding levels. Maybe the choreographers should be receiving medals, then everyone might try a bit harder to make good programs.

Last I looked the marks are supposed to be attributed for skating. Given their lacklustre international marks, I think the international judges at least are looking past the choreo and not just handing out marks for choreography that "deserves ....the Olympic stage".

Much of the dance is reused moves from other pieces, and not all their's, innovative - not so much. Good choice of little used music though.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
True, although the definition of the choreo mark includes items that are in the dancers' control, (like size of pattern/use of space) as well as items that come directly from the choreographer.