Putin's anti-gay laws and Sochi Olympics | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Putin's anti-gay laws and Sochi Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johar

Medalist
Yea. I just don't get why people freak out over two people of the same sex who like eachother, but not as much over molestors, etc. It's like they truly HATE gays.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I mean 80-88% disapproval for homosexual behavior in Russia

That much disapproval for something that people are born with?

Think the problem here is propaganda AGAINST homosexuals...

The law is awful. Let me make that clear.

But the Games went to China and they're going to Rio, so no boycott of Sochi is warranted.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
That much disapproval for something that people are born with?

Think the problem here is propaganda AGAINST homosexuals...

The law is awful. Let me make that clear.

But the Games went to China and they're going to Rio, so no boycott of Sochi is warranted.

maybe, but around year 2006 it was around 75-78% disapproval for gays
Russia historically until now is an illiberal country, while many feel the aggressive actions by liberals it is considered a threat gays lying flowers to tomb of the unknown soldiers with the rainbow flag some kissing looks more like a political statement you will get into trouble, it is considered hooliganism marching and chanting for gay rights and flags in family/national holidays like ww2 commoration, navy or paratroopers day

the problem is majority you will be in trouble because average russians, cossacks and caucasus muslims find that "not normal"

go outside Moscow and St.Petersburg is where the real Russia you will see it still holds very conservative mindset
I would say even more than your typical Southern or Midwest American states

Matilda

Medalist
“It bears remembering that this legislation has nothing to do with discrimination against sexual minorities, which, as any other discrimination, is absolutely prohibited by the Constitution of the Russian Federation. The amendments have been adopted solely for the sake of protecting children, who can be too young to objectively and critically assess the information forced upon them, which might do harm to their psyche and imbed distorted perceptions concerning human relations,” Dolgov said.

I really want to know how many people in US will disagree with bolded part

I do, in this context. The whole premise of that bolded sentence is that homosexuality is a choice--a notion that has been debunked by researchers over and over again (although religious conservatives in the US and elsewhere still refuse to accept it). Since a person's sexual orientation is innate, you cannot "influence" children's or adolescent's sexual orientation. If they turn out to be gay, it's because they were born that way--not because they saw two men or two women kissing, or images of a gay pride parade on TV.

Many young gays and lesbians try to conform to the norms of heteronormative societies, however, since the society keeps telling them that their innate sexual orientation is wrong or "unnatural". The consequences are often self-hatred, depression, academic problems at school, and, in alarming numbers, suicide. The laws under discussion here will further tell gay, lesbian, and transgender children and adolescents that they are an anomaly and unaccepted by the society in which they live. Therefore, these laws will only lead to more heartache for those children and their families--more lives destroyed due to constricting norms of gender and sexuality.

This is precisely why I think it is important NOT to boycott the Olympics. The Russian LGBT community, and especially the LGBT youth, need to see LGBT athletes compete as equals, and to see them and the Russian LGBT community respected and supported by straight athletes as well as the spectators. Let the LGBT athletes go to Sochi and shine--they are precisely the kind of positive role models that LGBT youth in Russia and around the world need to see.

If it were a choice, what person would choose to become gay in a place where they will be so deeply hated and so endangered? What kind of recruiting would possibly make such a choice attractive? A documentary? A billboard on the side of a building? Not even possible.

Besides all the outcomes that Matilda mentions, there's one more. Gays who feel they must blend in will marry. If they still conduct their true lives in secret, many of them will betray their spouses in a profound way. Would you want your son or daughter to enter, probably unknowingly, into such a marriage?

I know that many of the Russians on this board feel that their culture is being criticized. But that's not the case. Russian culture is a wide, deep ocean, carrying many beautiful streams in it. The variety of ethnic traditions. The devotion to the arts that has outlasted the Mongols, the Second World War, and the worst excesses of Stalin. The soulful literature that has enlightened and sustained readers and theatergoers throughout the world. The creative mastery that has enriched concert halls, ballet stages, and ice rinks everywhere. For people to protest about this law does not reflect feelings about the essence of what Russia is. Look, we went through this in America too. How can a country founded on the idea of freedom and equality allow the existence of legally enforced segregation--even of slavery? It was a terrible blot on our history and our honor, and thank God we have grown beyond it (though we're not perfect yet). I hope and pray that Russia will do the same here. But until that time, people who are distressed by the law will speak against it.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
This is precisely why I think it is important NOT to boycott the Olympics. The Russian LGBT community, and especially the LGBT youth, need to see LGBT athletes compete as equals, and to see them and the Russian LGBT community respected and supported by straight athletes as well as the spectators. Let the LGBT athletes go to Sochi and shine--they are precisely the kind of positive role models that LGBT youth in Russia and around the world need to see.

:yes:

I just hope there wont be a scandal at the closing ceremony

Matilda

Medalist
If it were a choice, what person would choose to become gay in a place where they will be so deeply hated and so endangered?

Gays who feel they must blend in will marry. If they still conduct their true lives in secret, many of them will betray their spouses in a profound way. Would you want your son or daughter to enter, probably unknowingly, into such a marriage?

Exactly. Nobody in their right mind would choose to be oppressed. Also excellent point about marriage as a cover-up.

...The amendments have been adopted solely for the sake of protecting children, who can be too young to objectively and critically assess the information forced upon them, which might do harm to their psyche and imbed distorted perceptions concerning human relations,” Dolgov said.

I'm sorry, but I am really having a hard time wrapping my mind around the stupidity of this sentence.

Suppose that you are a straight teenaged boy. Being a straight teenaged boy, quite naturally you obsess all day long about getting in the pants of all the teenaged girls that you know.

Now comes the "gay propagandist." He says, stop feeling sexual attraction for girls, and start feeling sexual attraction to boys."

You say to yourself, that sounds like good advice. I will change my ways. From now on I will not go ape every time I see a hot chick.

I can personally attest to the absurdity of this scenario -- I was once a straight teenaged boy myself. ;)

On the other hand, consider a gay teenaged boy. He does not need a "gay propagandist" to "recruit" him. What he needs is for someone to tell him that he is not crazy, he is not a wicked, sinful, and worthless person deserving to be ostracize by all "decent" folk, he is not alone.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
If it were a choice, what person would choose to become gay in a place where they will be so deeply hated and so endangered? What kind of recruiting would possibly make such a choice attractive?

Again you just take one part and apply it to the whole. Can you say that there is absolutely no recruiting in US? I remember once an actress said that her being lesbian is because she chose to be lesbian. Of course, it is politically incorrect. She was forced to apologize afterwards.

In many situations, restricting one group is the price to pay to protect the other. To strip smokers' freedom to smoke in public buildings is to protect the secondhand smoking hazard to non-smokers (by the way, I absolutely applause for this restriction). Is it unfair to have smokers go into designated areas or standing in the outside of the building?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Again you just take one part and apply it to the whole. Can you say that there is absolutely no recruiting in US? I remember once an actress said that her being lesbian is because she chose to be lesbian. Of course, it is politically incorrect. She was forced to apologize afterwards.

In many situations, restricting one group is the price to pay to protect the other. To strip smokers' freedom to smoke in public buildings is to protect the secondhand smoking hazard to non-smokers (by the way, I absolutely applause for this restrictions). Is it unfair to have smokers go into designated areas or standing in the outside of the building?

This reminds me of Anne Heche? She was lesbian for a while.

heyang

Record Breaker
Yea. I just don't get why people freak out over two people of the same sex who like eachother, but not as much over molestors, etc. It's like they truly HATE gays.

Believe it or not, there have been movements to legalize pedophilia. A facebook friend posted a link and commented 'unbelievable!' as she was incredulous that it would ever be thought to be ok. I couldn't find the post, but I did find several references when entering 'legalize pedophilia' in a search engine. I avoided clicking on any of them though.

Matilda

Medalist
Sexuality is a continuum, and while most people fit in one or the other end of this continuum, many are somewhere in between. For example, a person who has long identified as heterosexual may at some point fall in love with a person of the same sex. Some people are romantically attracted to men AND women--one attraction may be dominant, but not always. We as human beings like to categorize and tend to think in binary terms--we prefer things to be "either/or" instead of "yes/and". Most things are not clear-cut, however, and sexuality is one of those. According to research very few homosexuals feel they had any choice in terms of their sexuality.

Here's what American Psychological Association has to say about sexual orientation: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx

And although I'm linking you to the major US psychological organization, please note that they specifically point out that homosexuality is NOT a mental disorder. Instead, "Lesbian, gay, and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding."

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Sexuality is a continuum, and while most people fit in one or the other end of this continuum, many are somewhere in between. For example, a person who has long identified as heterosexual may at some point fall in love with a person of the same sex. Some people are romantically attracted to men AND women--one attraction may be dominant, but not always. We as human beings like to categorize and tend to think in binary terms--we prefer things to be "either/or" instead of "yes/and". Most things are not clear-cut, however, and sexuality is one of those. According to research very few homosexuals feel they had any choice in terms of their sexuality.

Here's what American Psychological Association has to say about sexual orientation: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx

And although I'm linking you to the major US psychological organization, please note that they specifically point out that homosexuality is NOT a mental disorder. Instead, "Lesbian, gay, and bisexual relationships are normal forms of human bonding."

Thanks. The link you gave said that "many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles.":laugh: You just gave this new Russian law a reason to exist.:laugh::popcorn:

RABID

Final Flight
I remember reading a few years back about a high-school boy who wore pink sweaters to class getting harassed by some neanderthals in that Nova Scotia school. Some seniors noticing the harassment decided to do something about it and so they all wore pink sweaters. It was brilliant, effective and noble. I don't think anything will happen in Sochi but could you imagine reaction from the world's press if the Olympic athletes in solidarity with their gay brothers and sisters did something similar in the streets of Sochi? It would be scary but beautiful.

Matilda

Medalist
Thanks. The link you gave said that "many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles." You just gave this new Russian law a reason to exist.

No I didn't. There is nothing in that sentence that suggests that you can turn a person gay by letting them see positive images of gay people. Besides, you are focusing on one tiny bit--read the whole thing. For example, the paragraph where that is from reads in its entirety:

"There is no consensus among scientists about the exact reasons that an individual develops a heterosexual, bisexual, gay, or lesbian orientation. Although much research has examined the possible genetic, hormonal, developmental, social, and cultural influences on sexual orientation, no findings have emerged that permit scientists to conclude that sexual orientation is determined by any particular factor or factors. Many think that nature and nurture both play complex roles; most people experience little or no sense of choice about their sexual orientation.

The highlighted part refers specifically to the idea of choice, which is what we were talking about earlier. But seriously, please read the whole piece, especially considering the impact that homophobia and discrimination has on LGBT youth.

I remember reading a few years back about a high-school boy getting harassed by some neanderthals in the Nova Scotia school. Some seniors noticing the harassment decided to do something about it and so they all wore pink sweaters. It was brilliant, effective and noble. I don't think anything will happen in Sochi but could you imagine reaction from the world's press if the Olympic athletes in solidarity with their gay brothers and sisters did something similar in the streets of Sochi? It would be scary but beautiful.

What a lovely story, RABID. That kind of solidarity is rare but stunning when it happens.

Bluebonnet, I'm not sure what you mean by "nurture." (Surely a TV ad extolling the joys of gay life wouldn't do the trick.) I know that in the past few decades, the percentage of autistic children and children with life-threatening food allergies has increased, but the percentage of gay people in society has remained about the same. One would think that a "nurturing" society such as ours in America, where gays even adopt children, would have had a huge increase in the gay populatioin...but no. So if there's a recruiting effort going on, it's failed abjectly.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I don't think there is any in the so called "closet".

How many straight teens and adults have chosen suicide? It is a struggle not just among gay people.

http://www.bullyingstatistics.org/content/gay-bullying-statistics.html

Gay teens are 2 to 3 times as likely to commit suicide as straight teens.

Gay Bullying Statistics:

According to recent gay bullying statistics, gay and lesbian teens are two to three times as more likely to commit teen suicide than other youths. About 30 percent of all completed suicides have been related to sexual identity crisis. Students who also fall into the gay, bisexual, lesbian or transgendered identity groups report being five times as more likely to miss school because they feel unsafe after being bullied due to their sexual orientation. About 28 percent out of those groups feel forced to drop out of school altogether. Although more and more schools are working to crack down on problems with bullying, teens are still continuing to bully each other due to sexual orientation and other factors.

Status
Not open for further replies.