How do Elite Skaters pay their bills? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How do Elite Skaters pay their bills?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tonto, if you have not already seen Sochi 2014's official use of a vintage image of Peggy Fleming, I think you will like it. :) (Reposting it here from a GS Olympic thread.)

At least Vera Wang costumes also are elegant and relatively simple (in a good way), although I can only imagine how expensive they are. :eek:
I do agree that overly elaborate costumes (designed by others) do not seem worth what must be a rather high cost.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
And, if they are very good, prize money is still offered for ISU championships and the GP; I don't know about other events.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh, thank you, Golden!

I hadn't seen the image; isn't she beautiful?

That's the dress from Grenoble. I'm almost certain.

That is indeed a gorgeous photo.

I believe I read that Mrs. Fleming made the dress in a chartreuse color because it was a "French color" (the name comes from the place name Chartreux, home of the Carthusian monks) and might bring Peggy favor with the judges. (Not that the judges were all French, of course.) Isn't it a lovely dress? Dorothy Hamill had a simple dress also in 1976. And men used to skate in what looked like formal wear or dinner jackets. I don't know when costumes got so elaborate and expensive, but I'm sure Katarina Witt had something to do with it. :) I agree that Vera Wang often makes the best skating dresses because they're so simple, starting with Nancy Kerrigan's elegant outfits and continuing with Michelle's dresses. Did I read that Wang discounted or gave the dresses? I don't think Nancy paid full price; I don't know about Michelle.

tulosai

Record Breaker
The only way to become an Elite level skater is to have money, unless you live in China and you are chosen at a young age for their athletics program. Russia used to have a program like that, not sure how much is still funded by the government.

Russia's program is still heavily if not entirely government funded if you are 'picked'. In some cases they even give subsidies to the skaters families (in addition to providing coaching, costumes, ice time, etc for free).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Glad that others like the Fleming/Sochi poster (or whatever it is) -- and that her photo and words remain iconic after all these years.

I agree that Vera Wang often makes the best skating dresses because they're so simple, starting with Nancy Kerrigan's elegant outfits and continuing with Michelle's dresses. Did I read that Wang discounted or gave the dresses? I don't think Nancy paid full price; I don't know about Michelle.

I too have the general impression that Wang sees her skating costumes first and foremost not as a moneymaking proposition, but as a way to give back to the sport and to express support for those who have the good fortune to wear them.
Very generous of her to absorb some or all of the costs, whenever she does. :bow:

(That said, I wonder whether she ever has declined a request to make a costume for a skater who can afford to pay full price, but whom she does not care to have as a muse. I would not blame her if she did, because her plate already is more than full with her "day job" in bridal wear and fashion.)

BTW, segueing back to the central topic of possible sources of income for skaters:
For some skaters, another type of employment unrelated to skating is modeling. Examples: Becky Bereswill, Taylor Toth.​

Country
Russia
Russia's program is still heavily if not entirely government funded if you are 'picked'. In some cases they even give subsidies to the skaters families (in addition to providing coaching, costumes, ice time, etc for free).
Yes. But only for really elite skaters.
Talented youngsters may be sponsored by skating schools.

Country
Russia
Elite skaters have not real problems to pay their bills - sponsors, advertising, ice shows, prize money give them enough.
Yuna Kim was at 2010 in Top Ten most payed atletes, as "Forbes" wrote.

Starting level is not so expensive - non-top coaches, many skaters at the ice (so not so expensive ice) and so.
In many European countries "kid and junior" sports is free for children-athletes - government pays. Some money of course is needed for skates and shoes, costumes and so - but at this level it is not expensive.

Most serios financial problems have "pre-elite" skaters - they need about the same as elite, but have not elite's incomes.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Most serios financial problems have "pre-elite" skaters - they need about the same as elite, but have not elite's incomes.

Yes. Perhaps a useful question would be "How does one get to become an elite skater?" or more specifically "How much does it cost?"

Of course the answers vary with different federations.

minze

Medalist
Elite skaters have not real problems to pay their bills - sponsors, advertising, ice shows, prize money give them enough.

Starting level is not so expensive - non-top coaches, many skaters at the ice (so not so expensive ice) and so.
In many European countries "kid and junior" sports is free for children-athletes - government pays. Some money of course is needed for skates and shoes, costumes and so - but at this level it is not expensive.

Yes. But Yuna Kim and Mao asada are unique in that regard, they have more endorsments than Tiger woods. According to reports in Japan is impossible to go one day wothout seen Mao in TV, billboards and magazines. Yuna Kim is so wealthy she donates her prizes to charity. But you have other elite skaters: ashley wagner, she has two important sponsors, but I am sure paying coaches, coreographers, dressess add up.

bebevia

On the Ice
Elite skaters have not real problems to pay their bills - sponsors, advertising, ice shows, prize money give them enough. Yuna Kim was at 2010 in Top Ten most payed atletes, as "Forbes" wrote.

The question is where to draw the line at "elite". Your "elite" is ones with ISU medals, but that should rather be called SUPER-elites. All ISU entrants are basically elites, since they are the selected few from each country - doesn't matter if it's the US or pre-Yuna Korea. (Now, US, has a broader funding base, because it's a GINOURMOUS country with dollars and population, and each state is basically... a state.)

It's also not always true that elites have no issues either. Mirai? I believe part reason of her breakup with Carrol was money. Otherwise, she would've moved to somewhere that makes training easier, since she's not going to school; her family did have to sort out every penny for her. This is an American girl who basically won an Olympic, had it not been for Yuna, Mao, and peaked Rochette, the trio that made the '10 Olympics one of the strongest ladies fs fields.

Yuna is another. She began getting some sponsorship only after her 07 GPF win; that's pretty late considering her tremendous achievements prior to that point. Also, her Forbes-worthy income came after her 09 Worlds win, which of course counts into her reputation of the legendary records, favourite to win at Vancouver, history maker, modelesque-look, etc. etc., and '10 was the Olympics year! (and guess how much it would've risen had she been an American) Before 08, she basically couldn't properly afford little things like skate boots. (BTW, she made charities as soon as she was out of red books, before all the fortune.)

The reason why so many quit in Juniors is because unless they are SURE they'll be in elite squad or kinda reach for beyond, it's not worth the money to try. Hence, in most countries, only the elites and elite hopefuls persist, although we disregard most of them as lacklustres by comparing between the elites.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Going back to Peggy Fleming for a moment ...

Tonto, look what USFS posted on YouTube today :):

Peggy Fleming 1964 U.S. Championships
USFSVideo
Published on Aug 1, 2013
Peggy Fleming won her first of five U.S. titles in 1964 before finishing sixth at the Olympics that year. Four years later, Fleming went back to the Olympics and claimed gold.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGxPqKbr5q0

4:17 in length.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker

And Yuna Kim is #6 on the 2013 list of World's Highest-Paid Female Athletes, which Forbes published yesterday. :yes:

The excerpt about Kim:
South Korean figure skating champion Kim Yuna ranks No. 6 with estimated earnings of $14 million. Kim took a year off from competing before returning in December, and she captured her second World Championship in February. Kim is the headline act in the All That Skate figure skating show and she is a staple on TV in South Korea thanks to commercials for her dozen sponsors including Samsung, Korean Air and KB Financial. Kim is expected to be one of the leading stars at the 2014 Winter Olympics.

The top four all play tennis.
  • 1. Sharapova (earnings of $29 million between June 2012 and June 2013)
  • 2. Serena Williams ($20.5 million)
  • 3. Li Na ($18.2 million)
  • 4. Victoria Azarenka ($15.7 million)
  • 5. Danica Patrick ($15 million)
  • 6. Kim ($14 million)

rfid9968

Spectator
The reason why so many quit in Juniors is because unless they are SURE they'll be in elite squad or kinda reach for beyond, it's not worth the money to try. Hence, in most countries, only the elites and elite hopefuls persist, although we disregard most of them as lacklustres by comparing between the elites.

Most of figure skaters only quit at Junior level? Considering with the tremendous hours and cost people paying starting from pre-preliminary level nowadays, I am quite surprised that most people don't quite at earlier phase.

I personally know the parents who paying $100/hour for their kids with at least two sessions each day. Adding up, that is around $4000 each month, and this is just for the private classes, not counting the competition, ice time, off-ice, ballet class, and other stuffs yet. Many of these family are doing it when their kids started from pre-preliminary for last 3 or 4 years already. Simple math, at the end of Junior level, with this level of expense continuing, I think many of them may pay about half of million.

The worse part is: the US figure skating system doesn't support such investment. As far as I know, there is almost zero scholarship from colleges/universities to recruit young high school skaters, no matter how good they are. Compared to other sport players in college (basketball/volleyball/swimming/more..), you would have to consider it as a a punishment for the kids in skating, after they spent so much time/money on the ice.

minze

Medalist
Figure Skating is the only sport where women earn more than men. Kim Yuna and Evan were both Olympic Champions and although I am not Evan's accountant I am willing to bet Yuna Kim made more money than him. Daisuke Takahashi has brought a lot of medals to Japan but Mao Asada has more endorsements than he does.
If Kiira Korpie had the amount of success in the sport that Mao, Kim and Carolina have, she will be an advertisers dream. I know she has endorsements in her country, but if she had the important titles she will be marketable in North America also

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Figure Skating is the only sport where women earn more than men. Kim Yuna and Evan were both Olympic Champions and although I am not Evan's accountant I am willing to bet Yuna Kim made more money than him. Daisuke Takahashi has brought a lot of medals to Japan but Mao Asada has more endorsements than he does.
If Kiira Korpie had the amount of success in the sport that Mao, Kim and Carolina have, she will be an advertisers dream. I know she has endorsements in her country, but if she had the important titles she will be marketable in North America also

My guess is that that would be because of the inherent homophobia that figure skating attracts, both from outsiders and within itself as a sport. Far too many people don't consider it a sport or aren't prepared to acknowledge what incredible athletes these guys are. It's much safer (from their point of view) to just stand there and call them gay.

rfid9968

Spectator
I recall another report in January on the decline popularity of Figure Skating in US. The sport is gaining ground in Asia, even in Europe. But in US, I would like to say that the current system and business environment actually discourage the family/kids to invest their time and money, regardless how good they are.

Unless their parents are millionaires, without foreseeable positive financial outcome justified for the family enormous spending, I think less and less people would become interested in figure skating in the long run. It is the trend I don't like to see, and I hope I am not the only one seeing it coming....