What does Suzuki lack? | Golden Skate

What does Suzuki lack?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Can the skaters or those with youunger, sharper eyes explain to me what Akiko lacks? I see her as underrated/underscored. I love her skating skills, her oy, her music choices, choreography. I was angry when they let Mao beat her at NHK. Besides her age, can someone explain to me any valid reasons that she seems not to get her due in Japan, or internationally.

I find her skating-esp last two years to be among the best of the ladies. For those who know IJS more than I and know Akiko better than I as a skater, I wonder what others feel her rank in the world should be, as opposed to what it is. "O'' was one of my favorite programs this past year. For me, Akiko is a very complete package. What flaws am I missing in general or in particular? Thank you.:)

willdu

On the Ice
Akiko is one of the most beautiful skaters right now. I think her skating is breathtaking, especially O. The first thing I thought of was that she probably isn't JFSF's number one. And as much as we don't like it, there are "favorites" in figure skating. Mao, Carolina and Yuna and the "it" girls. They have the reputation scoring and the added bonuses that Akiko doesn't have. Part of it is politicking, part of it is having the 3A that Mao has or the 3-3 that Yuna has which give them the WOW factor and the PCS boost. She is definitely being held down sometimes although other times she isn't as consistent as she needs to be.

Moment

Final Flight
She can't receive the GOE bonus because her jumps and spins are of mediocre quality to put it nicely.

She can't receive the PCS because she doesn't have many transitions and she is way too behind in style especially compared to the "top three."

I think she deserved the NHK and Four Continents wins over the actual winner, but I don't agree with the argument she is underscored. She is fairly scored most of the time, and even over marked in WTT where she broke 133 with a performance that lacked energy (so slow) and spark, and had multiple questionable rotations with poor landings.

NMURA

Medalist
Suzuki lacks a chance of an Olympic medal and future expectations. Therefore she can't have strong federation supports. Suzuki sometimes receives very generous scores in Japan WHEN Asada bombed in the SP. That's a proof that the JSF is using Suzuki as a convenient tool. She never had performances and scores which might enable her to win an Olympic medal outside of Japan. Suzuki's bronze medal score at 2012 worlds was the 3rd lowest ladies' podium score under the new judging system. The "win" of WTT can't compensate for the 12th place at worlds in Canada. The highest score she had outside of Japan is only 181 pts. I think she will be finally ditched by the JSF if she couldn't prove her "chance of an Olympic medal" at Skate Canada. She could have WTT-like treatments at NHK trophy again, but it won't change their plans.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I think she deserved the NHK and Four Continents wins over the actual winner,

I agree about NHK, strongly disagree about 4CC. Mao was the clear winner there in both SP and Lp.
I agree she is underrated. Even the judges sometimes acknowledge that. I mean she got a huge score at 2013 WTT with a program less than steller compared to her NHK trophy LP. But when the new season comes, I think she'll be back in the 58-59 PCS category

vera01

Final Flight
Suzuki lacks a chance of an Olympic medal and future expectations. Therefore she can't have strong federation supports. Suzuki sometimes receives very generous scores in Japan WHEN Asada bombed in the SP. That's a proof that the JSF is using Suzuki as a convenient tool. She never had performances and scores which might enable her to win an Olympic medal outside of Japan. Suzuki's bronze medal score at 2012 worlds was the 3rd lowest ladies' podium score under the new judging system. The "win" of WTT can't compensate for the 12th place at worlds in Canada. The highest score she had outside of Japan is only 181 pts. I think she will be finally ditched by the JSF if she couldn't prove her "chance of an Olympic medal" at Skate Canada. She could have WTT-like treatments at NHK trophy again, but it won't change their plans.

I totally agree!

I agree about NHK, strongly disagree about 4CC. Mao was the clear winner there in both SP and Lp.
I agree she is underrated. Even the judges sometimes acknowledge that. I mean she got a huge score at 2013 WTT with a program less than steller compared to her NHK trophy LP. But when the new season comes, I think she'll be back in the 58-59 PCS category

Hopefully not, when Adelina, Gracie and even Liza has proved that they can score higher PCS than that. Akiko, unless she has a meltdown, deserves a PCS around Ashley's or slightly below, considering how she's not Japan's #1 Lady.

Moment

Final Flight
Mao was the clear winner there in both SP and Lp.

No, Akiko should have won the free skate and overall. Mao got too many passes from the tech caller for her shaky execution of spins where she did NOT fulfill the features (ROFL at them being strict). Her flip in the second half was URed as well. Also their PCS should have been around the same, not one noticeably above the other.

NMURA

Medalist
Suzuki's PCS could be higher than Asada only in Japan and only when she skated after Asada. It doesn' matter how their contents were. Even at 2012 worlds, Asada's PCS was higher than Suzuki's. At that time, Suzuki skated after Asada in both SP and FS. Suzuki is treated as a "top skater" only in Japan for obvious reasons.

In other words, a "top skater only in Japan" is of little use at the Olympics.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
this will be her last season anyways, she could still be in the hunt for that Olympic spot
it will really depend on Miki , but if Akiko performs poorly I agree her PCS will be in 57-59 range again
she might have hit her all time peak last season, she is already going 28 years old

mary01

Final Flight
No, Akiko should have won the free skate and overall. Mao got too many passes from the tech caller for her shaky execution of spins where she did NOT fulfill the features (ROFL at them being strict). Her flip in the second half was URed as well. Also their PCS should have been around the same, not one noticeably above the other.

are you fricken kidding me, there was no doubt that Mao was the clear winner in the in the sp and fs and overall, the gap between them was HUGE. Mao gave two phenomenal performances, both performances of Mao being one of my favorites that season. based on their performances there was no doubt for the viewers and commentators who the clear winner would be and that sure was also reflected in the scores.

I find it absurd that whenever Akiko competes against Mao you find her underscored, but everywhere else she is overscored:laugh:

ps: Mao Asada received level 4 on all her spins in the freeskate, and except for one level3 spin in the sp, she also received level 4 on all her spins and steps in the sp too. so how about looking at the protocol before you begin to make your fake claim, otherwise it becomes really hard to take anything you say seriously!

by the way, the skater who according to the technical panel did NOT fulfill her features all season was Kim

mary01

Final Flight
this will be her last season anyways, she could still be in the hunt for that Olympic spot
it will really depend on Miki , but if Akiko performs poorly I agree her PCS will be in 57-59 range again
she might have hit her all time peak last season, she is already going 28 years old

I agree about this, especially since Miki seems eager to make the team, she wouldn't let such an opportunity go by.

vera01

Final Flight
by the way, the skater who according to the technical panel did NOT fulfill her features all season was Kim

Uh-what do you mean by saying that Yuna did not fulfill all of the 'features'? Like, she never got level four for any spin(s) last season? Or was it that she didn't deserve level four for any of her spins that actually did receive level four?

mary01

Final Flight
Uh-what do you mean by saying that Yuna did not fulfill all of the 'features'? Like, she never got level four for any spin(s) last season? Or was it that she didn't deserve level four for any of her spins that actually did receive level four?

It means that Kim didn't fulfill her levels on all her spins in any segments or competitions she participated in, that's what it means.

minze

Medalist
The name of this tread is Akiko. Please. I love akiko and I hope she gets the olympic spot over miki. I dont have problem miki but Akiko has been producing good results for two yrs now.
I am going to steal a quote from Dave Lease: Akiko is someone who skates from her heart and you can feel it.

Unfortutnatly for Akiko, she skates for a country with so many talented skaters that sometimes outshine her.

deedee1

Record Breaker
What does Suzuki lack?
My answer is some more love from judges and strong backing by her federation...:sarcasm: Technically, Akiko needs a bit more quality in jump-wise, especially with her Flip and Lutz which are prone to merciless e and UR calls, I guess. :slink:

MiRé

Match Penalty
I think it's because Suzuki doesnt have the skater's "body"I truly think she's talented considering she's almost 27?28? And I admire how she's so competitive regarding her age. However, I find that figure skating is not just athleticism, but it's the beauty of the sport that matters. I don't want to get into a debate in whether or not certain skaters are pretty or not, but I think Suzuki does lack in beauty part(overall beauty). She also doesnt have the long extension of the legs which makes her appear even smaller than she is right now. Comparing Akiko to Mao, Yuna, and Kostner, Akiko's body is really a disadvantage of this sport. Those top 3 skaters illuminate "beauty" in their ways, but Akiko fails to do so because of her body structure. Akiko can definitely show her musicality such as in her "O" program, but something just kept me away from having it as one of my favorite program, and I think it's because of her overall look as a skater. Again, I'm not saying Akiko is ugly in any way, I just think she just doesnt't fit in this sport where beauty is considered important.

Long legs, long arms, and great posture makes skaters , especially in ladies, stand out, and since Akiko doesnt have these components, I dont have the same connection with her while I do with skaters like Mao, Yuna, and Kostner.( just an example, i could go on and on!!!)

Disclamer: this is my opinion only, and no way I'm saying Akiko is ugly. She's beautiful in her own way.

Melon, I hope you're wrong about Akiko having the wrong "look." For myself, I find her exceedingly beautiful. She's not a sylph, but I think that her compact, muscular body adds to the impression of fluidity, smoothness, and power in her skating. And then there's that smile.

I'll leave it to more technically savvy audience members to evaluate her jumps and other elements. She certainly looks better than almost anyone we have competing in the U.S.! Unfortunately, she's in the absolute top country at the moment for ladies' singles skaters, and it's crowded on the podium. Ironically, if she were Korean, she'd be a shoe-in for her country's Olympic team, because next to YuNa, there's no one else at that level. I hope she is the third (or second!) member of Japan's Olympic team, much as I like Miki. Suzuki has been working herself into the ground for the last few years, and I hope that will give her the skill advantage she needs to get on the team.

Krislite

Medalist
Akiko lacks political support and a "wow" factor, nothing else. The former is due to being in a crowded ladies field in Japan, where she is outshone by younger more popular stars, and the latter because her teammates (and other top skaters in the world) have 3Axels or triple-triples. Physical beauty isn't as big a factor as some people think. Beauty helps somewhat in scoring, but not looking like a supermodel doesn't hurt. You don't have to be tall, skinny and pretty, but you do need to stand out in some way. Akiko's "wow" factor to me is very subtle. She is very musical and lyrical, but unfortunately that's not enough in this field.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
I think it's because Suzuki doesnt have the skater's "body"

She also doesnt have the long extension of the legs which makes her appear even smaller than she is right now. Comparing Akiko to Mao, Yuna, and Kostner, Akiko's body is really a disadvantage of this sport. Those top 3 skaters illuminate "beauty" in their ways, but Akiko fails to do so because of her body structure. ...

Long legs, long arms, and great posture makes skaters , especially in ladies, stand out, and since Akiko doesnt have these components, I dont have the same connection with her while I do with skaters like Mao, Yuna, and Kostner.( just an example, i could go on and on!!!)

I would have to disagree with you on her "body type" being a disadvantage. Sasha Cohen has short legs in proportion to her torso as well, but no one really ever commented on that because she was off doing this all the time. Akiko is actually the same height as Sasha Cohen and Michelle Kwan (5 ft, 2 in), and no one ever said their shorter limbs hindered them. I do believe that Akiko uses her arms and hands well in her programs.

What Akiko lacks is probably, like you said, extension. She doesn't really skate like she stretches out, but she does do a pretty good arabesque spiral. I think Akiko is pretty; she might not be pretty in the "conventional" sense like Zijun Li ("Chinese Beauty"), Yuna Kim ("Korean Beauty"), or Alissa Czisny ("American Princess"), but her looks, I think, are above average. And while she wears her heart on her sleeve during her performances--particularly in exhibitions--I sometimes sense that she lacks the conviction and "star quality" (i.e. something that would make her really stand out) that the "top three" have.

With all that said, Die Fledermaus and O are two of my most favorite programs ever. :)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She lacks reputation and respect from the judges. If she has problems with her spins, fine, reflect that in the technical mark. Akiko should be getting very high marks in performance, execution and choreography, at a minimum. Someone said the other day, "she skates with her soul." It is true. She is being held back unfairly, in my opinion, because she is older, a late bloomer, and not a pretty princess.