What does Suzuki lack? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What does Suzuki lack?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I feel like the two biggest things Akiko lacks are 1) consistency and 2) political support/reputation.

The consistency problem hurts her the most, I think. Whenever she starts building momentum, in results and reputation, she then has one or more competitions where she just doesn't land enough jumps. And then her momentum disappears, and she's back to fighting for recognition. She tends to back off her jumps in the exact situations when she needs to go for everything (like in the 2012 Worlds LP). The lack of consistency gives the judges an easy out to mark her down, which then hurts her overall reputation.

She lacks political/judging support. In Japan, it feels like she's seen as behind Mao and Kanako, and this despite the fact that she's beaten both of them several times. For some reason, she never seems to get full credit for her victories over Mao. It's like, instead of saying, "Akiko won that competition," people are thinking, "Well, Akiko did win, but only because Mao didn't do this, or that."

Personally I love her expressiveness and exuberance and wonderful performance quality. I just think she's such a pleasure to watch. And I find the debate about her looks rather odd. Facially, I think she's a very pretty girl, with a most charming smile. It's true she doesn't have the current most-favored skating physique--long-legged, reed-thin, and slightly taller. But so what? I have no personal preference for that kind of physique, nor is there much historical precedent in skating to overtly favor that type of physique. As others have pointed out, some of the greatest skaters in history have also been short and long-torsoed. Among this group: Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Kristi Yamaguchi, Katarina Witt!! And many others, I'm sure. Personally I find the current leggy, hyperextended look unattractive and a bit awkward at times. Just my opinion.
I agree with you with everything. Almost. Katarina Witt was very very pretty!!! very shapely legs and a nice and later sexy body, with beautiful face..

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko Suzuki for me is one of the greatest skaters of all-time! She has the complete package.
She is the most musical among all the skaters in the world. Her artistry and soulful skating is beyond words.

As one of her biggest fans,
She does need to improve some of the spins.
Have a more solid technique with the jumps (she is sometimes inconsistent).
She needs more mental strength in terms of handling stress and competition.
More consistency.
More political support from Japan.

Her clout is growing and she has more support now and recognition from judges. Her political clout is not in the level of the top 3 but she is getting there.

Nonetheless, she is one of the most beautiful skaters of all-time! She is a treat to watch! A goddess on the ice!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
She is so wonderfully joyous and I agree, the most musical skater for a few years now. Only Osmond rivals her musical ability. No weaknesses, imo very complete.

minze

Medalist
She is so wonderfully joyous and I agree, the most musical skater for a few years now. Only Osmond rivals her musical ability. No weaknesses, imo very complete.

I have to agree with you she is very musical. But in all fairness the top three are as musical as her JMO

christinaskater

Medalist
What does Suzuki lack?
My answer is some more love from judges and strong backing by her federation...:sarcasm: Technically, Akiko needs a bit more quality in jump-wise, especially with her Flip and Lutz which are prone to merciless e and UR calls, I guess. :slink:

This is pretty much spot on. If she skates a perfect and inspired program, she truly deserves 200++. She is simply phenomenal! A mind boggling artistic soul on ice!

christinaskater

Medalist

Akiko is truly a rare breed. I find her even more musical than Michelle (I am the biggest Michelle Kwan fan in the world).

I also find Carolina Kostner incredibly musical. Yu-Na is also phenomenal and so is Mao Asada.

christinaskater

Medalist
I think that Jenny Kirk nailed it on the head with Akiko when she said, "Her biggest strength is her lack of weakness."

Akiko does not have problems with under rotations.

She does not have wonky spins, shakey spirals, or horrendous costumes.

She does not flutz or lip.

However, she does not have the base value or components to regularly surpass Kostner, Asada, or Kim.

I think she does occasionally flute.

I believe she is at part with the top 3 in the world. I love Hiroshi Nagakubo, but if Akiko had a top coach like Tarasova or Orser- she will surely have that political clout.

christinaskater

Medalist
I feel like the two biggest things Akiko lacks are 1) consistency and 2) political support/reputation.

The consistency problem hurts her the most, I think. Whenever she starts building momentum, in results and reputation, she then has one or more competitions where she just doesn't land enough jumps. And then her momentum disappears, and she's back to fighting for recognition. She tends to back off her jumps in the exact situations when she needs to go for everything (like in the 2012 Worlds LP). The lack of consistency gives the judges an easy out to mark her down, which then hurts her overall reputation.

She lacks political/judging support. In Japan, it feels like she's seen as behind Mao and Kanako, and this despite the fact that she's beaten both of them several times. For some reason, she never seems to get full credit for her victories over Mao. It's like, instead of saying, "Akiko won that competition," people are thinking, "Well, Akiko did win, but only because Mao didn't do this, or that."

Personally I love her expressiveness and exuberance and wonderful performance quality. I just think she's such a pleasure to watch. And I find the debate about her looks rather odd. Facially, I think she's a very pretty girl, with a most charming smile. It's true she doesn't have the current most-favored skating physique--long-legged, reed-thin, and slightly taller. But so what? I have no personal preference for that kind of physique, nor is there much historical precedent in skating to overtly favor that type of physique. As others have pointed out, some of the greatest skaters in history have also been short and long-torsoed. Among this group: Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Kristi Yamaguchi, Katarina Witt!! And many others, I'm sure. Personally I find the current leggy, hyperextended look unattractive and a bit awkward at times. Just my opinion.

I also find Akiko extremely beautiful. In Japan , my friend said she just looks normal (not a standout beauty like Mao and Miki) which gives them beauty points and more sponsors/marketability which is needed. For me she is really beautiful!

I really want her to remove that awkward spin. Everything is just exquisite except for that one spin which i dislike a lot.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Japanese nationals is kind of a ceremony rather than a real sport competiton. The winner and the top 3 are basically decided beforehand. If the national judges (=JSF) want to give Miyahara the Olympic experiences (I believe so), there is no problem for that. She was not just "lucky" last year. The national judges just considered her the 3rd skater after Asada and Murakami. As long as the #3 lady has no chance of an Olympic medal, "future" should be the keyword. In this sense, Ando is in the same boat with Suzuki. Suppose Suzuki's "expected score" is around 185 and Miyahara's is 175. Suzuki would have a definite edge at international competitions but not at Japanese nationals.

Miyahara's real challenge is to win a recognition as the most promising young skater. Well, Miyahara's PCS will rise suddenly and underrotations will decrease once she gets the recognition. She is lucky to have NHK trophy for her debut. If my understanding is right, they are planning to promote Miyahara at the cost of Suzuki, with the help of home advantages. Otherwise, there's no plausible reason to choose Suzuki over Murakami for NHK trophy.

I could see that happening too. Since neither Suzuki or old Ando are contenders for any medal for Sochi, not even outside, they will probably go with the future and send Miyahara instead along with the two locks Murakami and Asada.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I could see that happening too. Since neither Suzuki or old Ando are contenders for any medal for Sochi, not even outside, they will probably go with the future and send Miyahara instead along with the two locks Murakami and Asada.

Personally I don't think Murukami is that strongly favored over Akiko. Yes, Kanako had a good Nationals and Worlds but Akiko has had good results over the last two years as well.

NMURA

Medalist
Murakami is clearly favored by the JSF. She always receives the most generous scores at Japanese nationals. When she bombs, they rescue her with their best effort. And when she skates well, her scores skyrocket. No exception. Suzuki was a tentative (or expedient) #2 while Ando is practically retired and Murakami has been inconsistent. Now, they have no reason to continue Suzuki's promotion. They managed to keep 3 spots for Olympics (on which Suzuki made no contribution after all).

christinaskater

Medalist
Akiko is just a gem on the ice! Goddess on ice! I saw her live perform at the 2013 World Team Trophy and it was an out of body experience! She is just a gift from God! One of the best skaters EVER!

mikeko666

Final Flight
I think it's because Suzuki doesnt have the skater's "body"I truly think she's talented considering she's almost 27?28? And I admire how she's so competitive regarding her age. However, I find that figure skating is not just athleticism, but it's the beauty of the sport that matters. I don't want to get into a debate in whether or not certain skaters are pretty or not, but I think Suzuki does lack in beauty part(overall beauty). She also doesnt have the long extension of the legs which makes her appear even smaller than she is right now. Comparing Akiko to Mao, Yuna, and Kostner, Akiko's body is really a disadvantage of this sport. Those top 3 skaters illuminate "beauty" in their ways, but Akiko fails to do so because of her body structure. Akiko can definitely show her musicality such as in her "O" program, but something just kept me away from having it as one of my favorite program, and I think it's because of her overall look as a skater. Again, I'm not saying Akiko is ugly in any way, I just think she just doesnt't fit in this sport where beauty is considered important.

Long legs, long arms, and great posture makes skaters , especially in ladies, stand out, and since Akiko doesnt have these components, I dont have the same connection with her while I do with skaters like Mao, Yuna, and Kostner.( just an example, i could go on and on!!!)

Disclamer: this is my opinion only, and no way I'm saying Akiko is ugly. She's beautiful in her own way.

I find your post really amusing. Well, Suzuki herself said "I do not have a pretty face or a good looking body, so I just needed to work harder" when she won Bronze at 2012 Worlds.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Sometimes she compromises herself by letting her nerves get the best of her. She seems to rush and get sloppy. Having said that, I hope she makes the Olympic team. For me she is the most engaging skater on earth. That is just my response to her.

christinaskater

Medalist
Sometimes she compromises herself by letting her nerves get the best of her. She seems to rush and get sloppy. Having said that, I hope she makes the Olympic team. For me she is the most engaging skater on earth. That is just my response to her.

I am one of her biggest fans and I also agree on some of your comments here. She is truly the most engaging skater in the world!

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
No other skater touches my heart like Akiko. She truly reminds me of Michelle in that regard. There something that is just so genuine and pure about her when she skates. Akiko skates from her heart and that is what makes her stand out for me.

If I could choose the OGM for Sochi, god honest, I would pick her over everyone else. She deserves it just as much as any of the others. She puts up with so much crap but she always handles herself with grace and humility. I am really going to miss her when she retires.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
No other skater touches my heart like Akiko. She truly reminds me of Michelle in that regard. There something that is just so genuine and pure about her when she skates. Akiko skates from her heart and that is what makes her stand out for me.

If I could choose the OGM for Sochi, god honest, I would pick her over everyone else. She deserves it just as much as any of the others. She puts up with so much crap but she always handles herself with grace and humility. I am really going to miss her when she retires.

for someone who can come back from Anorexia and still competing at age 28. I am sure skating is her true love and passion. She is skating with her heart, which is easily projected to the audience and every one loves her for that. That been said, Akiko does lack in some technical area. I agree with you she skates like Kwan and People will easily fall in love with Akiko just like Kwan. But OGM... too many other factors.:unsure:

lcd

Match Penalty
No situation is perfect, but perhaps she lacks the unmitigated political support that a Japan #1 receives "politically"

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
But OGM... too many other factors.:unsure:

Oh, I know her chances of winning are extremely low to nonexistent. But in a scenario where there is a surprise gold medalist at the games, my vote would go for Akiko. Ice is slippery though, so you never know what will happen. :)