What does Suzuki lack? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What does Suzuki lack?

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
This is true (about Mao)... but I think many think the overwhelming favourites for the podium are Kim, Mao and Kostner, particularly with their PCS advantage over the field. Suzuki can garner good PCS but she's one of those skaters that her PCS actually reflects her performance/skate (I know, what a concept!) instead of being able to rely on good PCS even with errors. If she goes clean, she can really put the pressure on Kostner and Asada. The Olympics is about skating clean, and it's not something that Kostner and Asada are known for, so the judges might be inclined to reward a clean Suzuki. Even Murakami who is prone to UR's might end up placing well if her program "looks" cleaner.

Even if she were able to beat one of Mao or Kostner somehow, there is also Wagner, the Russians, Gold, and her remaining teammate (whomever that would be, presumably Murakami) to worry about as well. All skaters probably more favored than she is at this point, especialy after her 11th place at Worlds. That is without even getting into the dark horses like Osmond, Li, Korpi, etc... A medal is a huge ask for her at this moment, and it wont be an automatic neccessarily even if she beats Mao (which probably means Mao had a bad skate and lost to some of these others too, and thus no guarantee Suzuki is above all these others to get a medal).

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Miyahara's performances at Asian Trophy definitely impressed the JSF officials, and Suzuki must be feeling mounting pressure now...
According to a hearsay, Suzuki is assigned to Finlandia Trophy. Probably she wants to be on the top of world standings (and skate before Asada at NHK). But Russia is sending strong skaters to Finlandia these days. Without sufficient preparations, she could only damage her reputation further. It is not in Japan so she will not be treated as a top skater.

but I dont think they should bank on Miyahara yet either with her tiny jumps
but you are right the JSF probably thinks she has passed her all time peak and needs to invest on younger skaters, she was never a favorite anyways in the first place.

Suzuki isnt getting younger she is turning 29 years old

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
To me she is an example how judges dont differntiate various PC categories. IMO her interpretation mark should be higher than everyone except on some occasions (but not all) Kim or Kostner. Her performance should be near the top too. Skating skills and transitions she would be more mid pack of the top 12 skaters I agree, but it seems since she isnt tops in those the other PC categories follow suit.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
but I dont think they should bank on Miyahara yet either with her tiny jumps
but you are right the JSF probably thinks she has passed her all time peak and needs to invest on younger skaters, she was never a favorite anyways in the first place.

Suzuki isnt getting younger she is turning 29 years old

Age isn't really an issue. Arakawa was about 27, Shen/Zhao were in their 30's. Plushenko was 27 in Vancouver. Clearly, Suzuki is no spring chicken, but she's still producing some of her finest skating, regardless of her age.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
To me she is an example how judges dont differntiate various PC categories. IMO her interpretation mark should be higher than everyone except on some occasions (but not all) Kim or Kostner. Her performance should be near the top too. Skating skills and transitions she would be more mid pack of the top 12 skaters I agree, but it seems since she isnt tops in those the other PC categories follow suit.

Age isn't really an issue. Arakawa was about 27, Shen/Zhao were in their 30's. Plushenko was 27 in Vancouver. Clearly, Suzuki is no spring chicken, but she's still producing some of her finest skating, regardless of her age.

I agree with everything that has been said. :thumbsup: I can see why she doesn't get top marks for SS and TR, but still don't see why judges don't award her higher marks for P/E and IN.

NMURA

Medalist
Age is the issue.
Arakawa never competed Vancouver Olympics. Plushenko had extraordianry jumping talents (when he was young) and no one could be compared (maybe save Hanyu). Shen/Zhao are pair skaters. Their technical requirements are much less than the singles skaters. What is the point of giving the 3rd spot to a mentally unstable and inconsistent 29 y/o who has no chance of an Olympic medal? I think Suzuki needs to win Skate Canada with Olympic medal-worthy performances to let the JSF reconsider their "plans".

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Age is the issue.
Arakawa never competed Vancouver Olympics. Plushenko had extraordianry jumping talents (when he was young) and no one could be compared (maybe save Hanyu). Shen/Zhao are pair skaters. Their technical requirements are much less than the singles skaters. What is the point of giving the 3rd spot to a mentally unstable and inconsistent 29 y/o who has no chance of an Olympic medal? I think Suzuki needs to win Skate Canada with Olympic medal-worthy performances to let the JSF reconsider their "plans".

Seriously? :disapp:

Well if everything is predetermined, what's the point of Akiko competing this season? Shessh....for her sake, I hope she proves everyone wrong.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Age is the issue.

Geez. You're really throwing everything out there because you really, really want Satoko on that Olympic team, don't you?

ForeverFish

Medalist
You mean Satoko Miyahara, who landed a total of one clean triple at Jr. Worlds?

Maybe if Akiko, a World medalist and 8-time GP medalist, forgets to show up to Japanese Nationals next season.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Yes, that one. NMURA seems quite adamant on Ms. Miyahara making the team no matter what Akiko Suzuki does (except "win Skate Canada").

Something about "more exposure" (higher PCS?) for Satoko on the senior circuit before the 2014-2015 season. When's a better time than the Olympics? Just ask Miki Ando. She totally splatted all over the place at 2006 Olympics and then somehow outmaneuvered Mao at 2007 Worlds for the gold.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Maybe if Akiko, a World medalist and 8-time GP medalist, forgets to show up to Japanese Nationals next season.

To be fair, Satoko DID beat Akiko at Nationals last year, but that was only after Akiko had a terrible FS with several jump errors.

I guess one could argue that Satoko was held up given that she got no URs in the competition.

NMURA seems to be hinting that Satoko would be held up for the Olympic team regardless of what Akiko does at Japanese nationals.

guanchi

On the Ice
Well, her spins aren't the best. And below the top in ss and transitions.
But she really is one of the best performers out there, perhaps deserves higher pcs.
But it isn't what she lacks that makes is hard to crack, let's say, being one of the top 5 skaters over the years.
It's just that when you're skating in the era of Kim, Asada, Kostner, Rochette, and Ando, you'd better have something tangible/intangible to beat them. Suzuki may have better artistry/musicality than Ando, but her spins aren't better, and her jumps are way behind the scale and quality of not just her, but the others. In another era, Akiko could def. crack top 5, but not in the past 2 quadrennials. (Well, maybe 2 yrs ago when Kim was out, Kostner getting into form, Asada struggling, and Leonova was a contender, lol)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
To be fair, Satoko DID beat Akiko at Nationals last year, but that was only after Akiko had a terrible FS with several jump errors.

I guess one could argue that Satoko was held up given that she got no URs in the competition.

NMURA seems to be hinting that Satoko would be held up for the Olympic team regardless of what Akiko does at Japanese nationals.

Suzuki doesnt usually skate great at Japanese Nationals though. So if the JSF really want Satoko on the team they will likely get an opportunity to do that. URs are easier than falls to ignore if you simply want to as well. I am not sure that is the case, but if politically that is the situation they could well make it happen since it is unlikely Suzuki will skate lights out at Nationals. She very rarely does.

ForeverFish

Medalist

Exactly. I mean, Akiko didn't exactly have a glowing performance, but Satoko most likely did not develop a chronic UR problem in the three months between Japanese Nationals and Jr. Worlds.

NMURA

Medalist
I predict Miyahara and Suzuki will be the evenly matched rivals at Japanese nationals unless Suzuki wins Skate Canada, or Miyahara fails to live up to expectations at GPs. In 2009, Nakano and Suzuki received exactly same PCS in the FS (Nakano was a little higher in the SP but not much). Again in last year, Oda and Mura received same PCS in the FS. In a sense, they selected the 3rd on the basis of technical and mental strengths, not past records or reputations. It is almost certain that Miyahara delivers "cleaner" performances than Suzuki, without serious errors like falls, pops, step outs. Suzuki's mental weakness was shown in many occasions. If she "senses" that the judges are not on her side, she easily crumbles under pressure. The most obvious cases are national sports festival of this year and London worlds. On the other hand, she skates comfortably when she knows that the judges are on her side (WTT of this year and last year). If Suzuki finds out that the national judges are not giving her big PCS advantages against Miyahara, she is most likely to panic and bombs in the FS. The audiences and viewers will be convinced that Miyahara skated "better" than Suzuki and she deserves to go to the Olympics. Suzuki can't beat Miyahara relying only on the PCS, and that is the scenario I expect to happen.

b-man

Final Flight
I predict Miyahara and Suzuki will be the evenly matched rivals at Japanese nationals unless Suzuki wins Skate Canada, or Miyahara fails to live up to expectations at GPs.

Suzuki and Miyahara are in SC, NHK, and Rostelecom, which are the three toughest of the 6 GP's. SC is probably the toughest, with Akiko needing to beat Kim, Julia L., Gold, Korpi, and Osmond on her home turf for a win which NMURA says she needs. I think she will medal, but not win. Suzuki and Miyahara go head to head at NHK. Again I would expect Suzuki to medal against a very tough field of Mao, Li, Gold, Nagasu, and Radionova. I would expect Miyahara to be in a battle with Elene G. for ninth and tenth (last) place. Then Miyahara goes to Rostelecom, against Kostner, Osmond, Kanako, Julia L., Tuk, and Mirai. She might beat Imai for ninth place. I would hope the JSF wouldn't pick someone for their Olympic team who may get a couple ninth place GP finishes over Suzuki, who has won 11 GP medals (including GPF medals) in her career. If the JSF wants Miyahara to get more international exposure, Four Continents would be a good competition for her.

NMURA

Medalist
The future is on Miyahara's side and it's reasonable to give her some "expectation" points to offset Suzuki's "reputation" points. Suzuki needs to prove her chance of winning an Olympic medal (which she has never done before). Miyahara needs to prove that she's the most promising (eligible) skater younger than Murakami.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Akiko has no real weakness but she isn't super strong and her style or presence isn't overwhelming. She will need some help but who knows an Olympic medal is not impossible BUT of course it is possible she might not make it out of Japan.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
ForeverFish said:

Yeah. And of course, that's the only thing that counts at all - that one triple at Jr. Worlds. Doesn't matter that her team actually did get the note, got her Kulik as a jumping coach and she managed to get 6 out of 7 triples ratified in her FS at the Asian Trophy (including a 3Lz-3T!). Or that she does Lz and F with correct egdes. Who cares that the rest of her skating is pretty amazing, from her SS to the CH with beautiful transitions over to her maturity and interpretation. :sarcasm:
I really love Akiko, and saying the JSF will get Satoko to be part of that Olympic team no matter what is BS. Even if Akiko doesn't have a chance at an Olympic medal at all (with which I'm not even completly agreeing), if she proves to be of help for getting a team medal (assuming they let to different skaters skate the SP and FS) or simply skates better than Satoko&Co., she's in. Despite that and how so many people seem to think nothing of Satoko than "that girl has tiny jumps", she's improved a lot and actually is a threat for that omyplic spot - because of the qualities to her skating. If she manages to skate well at her GPs and at Nationals, it's fairly possible she will have earend her Olympic spot. I don't like it, but it's highly likely one japanese lady will be left at home who'd really deserve to go to Sochi. And that one could be Akiko as well as Satoko (or maybe Kanako).

ForeverFish

Medalist
I think someone on this board has already made the point that Satoko has little chance of placing higher than eighth or ninth at both of her GP events this season. That's no fault of hers, but simply the issue of this being an Olympic season, when the competition will be tougher than ever.

And, anyway, you didn't read my post in context. I was responding to the suggestions that Satoko should get the third Olympic spot just because Akiko is too old/past her peak/has no chance at a medal anyway. Last time I checked, Akiko was still very much in the game, and the JSF doesn't award spots based on potential. :rolleye: