Best coaches in the world in each discipline? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Best coaches in the world in each discipline?

LRK

Record Breaker
plushyfan - the Prophet clip isn't working; Youtube says it doesn't exist...

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
The Nijinsky program is probably not a good example; it was continuously watered down because Plushenko was injured and couldn't physically skate to its full capacity.
I can't find the new version easier

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
Which one is more important and critical to a skater? A choreograper or a coach?

A good coach can help "fix" bad choreography. A good choreographer still can't make up for a bad coach. Additionally, most skaters spend a much, much greater amount of time with their actual coach.

bebevia

On the Ice
A good coach can help "fix" bad choreography. A good choreographer still can't make up for a bad coach. Additionally, most skaters spend a much, much greater amount of time with their actual coach.
Easy - this is a common "technicians are superior than artists/applied academics" misconception. Patternmakers laugh at fashion designers; IT engineers look down on accounts. Not so simple.

In ice dance, choreographers definitely have a stronger power than in singles and pairs. Had the latter disciplines not been technical skatings (even PCS relies highly on technical components), the coaches would not easily "fix" choreographs. Of course, you did mention "bad" choreograph, but it has to be BAD, and to make it GOOD, that's another level. That's because artistic/interpretative fields allow for easier entry, but making it good and better takes talents. In that sense, technical procedure is easier to figure out for what is required, as it has formulae and required shapes of outcomes; art has no right answer but very few selected answers are accepted by audience.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't know, all the choreography in the world isn't going to help you if you've got poor technique.

Willemijn

Rinkside
Thank you Ciocio. But there are coaches who doesn't change much of the program through the season. The programs of Javier Fernandez where, apart from the jumps, pretty much the same each competition. Could it be that some great coaches/skaters lay too much pressure on winning? Not only Plushenko or Mishin is changing his programs. Also Joubert is always searching for changes to win, Morozov switched programs with Leonova, Amodio. It seems to me a better approach to choose a program and skate that better and better, than continue to change it. A good coach gives steadiness. Orser appears to be one of those coaches.

LRK

Record Breaker
I don't think that there is a "one coach fits all" - some coaches are better at certain aspects than others; other coaches are better at the things they are weaker at. For some skaters they need different things from different coaches at different times in their lives and progress. (I found Adam's TSL interview remarks very interesting about his different coaches, and what they were good at and how they operated.) I suppose the trick is to find the perfect skater/coach "fit".

I was thinking to myself - earlier this morning, I believe? - that Plushy has been with Mishin... almost 20 years now, I believe? That's quite remarkable.

ciocio

On the Ice
I don't think that there is a "one coach fits all" - some coaches are better at certain aspects than others; other coaches are better at the things they are weaker at. For some skaters they need different things from different coaches at different times in their lives and progress. (I found Adam's TSL interview remarks very interesting about his different coaches, and what they were good at and how they operated.) I suppose the trick is to find the perfect skater/coach "fit".

I was thinking to myself - earlier this morning, I believe? - that Plushy has been with Mishin... almost 20 years now, I believe? That's quite remarkable.

Next year they will celebrate 20 years. I've heard they are planning a show. ;) Hope it will be great, because they will also celebrate Plushy's retirement from competing skating.

snejina

Rinkside
Singles:
Mishin, Nickol

Pairs:
Steuer, Moskvina

Dance:
Zoueva, Shpilband, Zhulin, Krylova

LRK

Record Breaker
Next year they will celebrate 20 years. I've heard they are planning a show. ;) Hope it will be great, because they will also celebrate Plushy's retirement from competing skating.

:cry:

I don't even want to think about that! I'm living in the moment! I'm in total denial! Not only him, but Brian, and Dai, and... Waaaah!

Willemijn

Rinkside
Thank you LRK for mentioning the TSL interview with Adam. It was very interesting. I follow figure skating since about 2000 or something and after this year all the old guys will be gone. That will be really strange indeed...

I don't even want to think about that! I'm living in the moment! I'm in total denial! Not only him, but Brian, and Dai, and... Waaaah!

I feel the same way, LRK. About the ladies, too. We've been uncommonly lucky lately in that a lot of the best skaters stayed on over two quadriennials or more. (This is probably one of the things that made the skaters so good, because they had time to mature and build up a varied body of work.) Now we have to say goodbye to many of them all at once--even some of my favorite ice dancers. As you say, Waaaah!