Gold vs. Kim | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Gold vs. Kim

I will definitely recommend studying Chinese as a second language to any one, Chinese is very interesting !;)

When I studied Chinese in college way back in the 1960s, it was the height of the Cold War. All of our textbooks came from Taiwan and "Communist China" was the big enemy. The first sentence in the grammar book that we had to translate was, "When we return to the mainland everything will be good."

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Golds deficit in artistry is exaggerated, she isnt lightyears behind either, lol
I would rank the artistry by the new Girls

1 Adelina
2 Kanako
3 Osmond
4 Gracie
5 Julia
5 Zijun
6 Tuk

I am surprised you rank Adelina so high. The list might as well be upside down and there are equally good reasons for them. Imho, they are all about the same right now, no one really stood out. It is all about who lucked out with the better packaging at this point that played to their strength. Although I do think Kanako deserve to be among the first 4 but she is eldest out of the lot and hardly a newbie. With Osmond, I need to see a bit more to decide, there were massive over hype last season.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
speaking of animal resemblance, Yuna is actually "cheetah" there is a fan art about it . But I cannot find it now..

Yuna recently got a new nickname among her uber fans "salty swan" same intonation to her given name (although it should be 妍儿 in Chinese meaning beautiful girl). it is sorta self-depreciating way to name our beloved Yuna. Perhaps due to part of Chinese culture which values humility.

:rock: "Salty" can also mean something like lively, full of zest (the opposite of dull and boring).

Jamie Salé's name (French) means salty. Actually, I think it is an occupation name: "salter" -- someone who processes natural salt.

But without the accent it means "nasty." :laugh:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I am surprised you rank Adelina so high. The list might as well be upside down and there are equally good reasons for them. Imho, they are all about the same right now, no one really stood out. It is all about who lucked out with the better packaging at this point. Although I do think Kanako deserve to be among the first 4. .

doesnt make a much of a difference ?,
Adelina has good music interpretation , too bad most of the time her nerves get a hold of her and her jumps are unstable
well I switched Osmond with Gracie as 3rd, Osmond's artistry consists of pouting her lips and flashing her eyelashes

vera01

Final Flight
Golds deficit in artistry is exaggerated, she isnt lightyears behind either, lol

1 Adelina
2 Kanako
3 Gracie
4 Osmond
5 Julia
5 Zijun
6 Tuk

I disagree. Why is Julia more artistic than Zijun?

Julia doesn't have better SS, TR, CH or IN compared to Zijun.

willdu

On the Ice
Honestly I think the ranking is more like this:

1. Osmond
  2. Kanako
  3. Zijun
  4. Adelina
  5. Gold
  6. Julia
  7. Tuk

I think part of it is having great choreo. Osmond's Mambo was one of the most entertaining programs last season. And Zijun's sleeping beauty was spot on. Julia on the other hand has a lot of potential. I just feel like her choreo requires her to be a dog and hold up her leg every two seconds to demonstrate how flexible she is.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie needs a choreographer and coach who knows how to package her. Someone like Sandra Bezic if she was still creating programs would have been perfect for Gracie.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Gracie needs a choreographer and coach who knows how to package her. Someone like Sandra Bezic if she was still creating programs would have been perfect for Gracie.

She is THE person great for Gracie in my mind too:laugh:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Honestly I think the ranking is more like this:

1. Osmond
  2. Kanako
  3. Zijun
  4. Adelina
  5. Gold
  6. Julia
  7. Tuk

I think part of it is having great choreo. Osmond's Mambo was one of the most entertaining programs last season. And Zijun's sleeping beauty was spot on. Julia on the other hand has a lot of potential. I just feel like her choreo requires her to be a dog and hold up her leg every two seconds to demonstrate how flexible she is.

Osmond as number one ? she has no artistry excpet making pouts and flashing her lashes and oprning her mouth everytime in her SP and LP
Zijun still looks frail both in skating and her expressions but she still has time to improve, Agree Julia has huge potential,
she had Morozov as a choroegrapher before but is working with Averbukh now so we shall see

ForeverFish

Medalist
The nick name for Gracie Gold on Chinese skating forums is actually 美金 = American Kim

So I guess they see her as one of her successors in terms of her jumping ability that reminded them of Yuna.

That's so interesting -- I never knew that! There are definitely worse monikers to have.

I speak fluent Mandarin Chinese myself. Perhaps I should start calling Gracie Mei Jin. :laugh:

shine

Record Breaker
I love for example Katelyn Osmond's nick is simply KO (knock out)
Kiira Korpi's is simply = Kbeauty
Carolina Kostner = SisterTurkey (derived from one of her earlier costumes reminded them of Turkey.)
Akiko Suzuki = SisterGoldfish (Guess to do with her facial feature and her beautiful skating?)
Alissa Cziney = Fairy or Makes you mad (气死你 shares similar intonation to her surname)
Yuzuru Hanyu = Happy Ox (hard working, and 哈牛 shares similar intonation to his surname)
Michelle Kwan = Empress Kwan
Evgeni Plushenko = Emperor Pu
Yuna = Queen
Sasha Cohen = Princess sit floor
Adam Rippon = Touch face (one of his earlier programs he touch his face too many times), Sugar/Sweet heart, Curly Hair.
Javier Fernandez = Little Pirate
Alena LEONOVA = SisterLenovo (After the Chinese electronic giant Lenovo - Chinese brand name: imagine)
Julia Lipnitskaia = Little Slutskya or software card (being very soft and bendy among other things)

Kurt Browning = Uncle Baldy 光头叔

Daisuke Takahashi = Daddy Bridge 桥爷, his surname means bridge in Chinese, and 爷 is a sign of respect similar to
Alexi Yagudin = Daddy Bear 熊爷

(Edited to add extra explanation for Olympia)

I love the blunt wittiness of my fellow Chinese skating fans! Some of them are so evilly clever :laugh: And Jeremy Abbott = Flying Pig. I think that's probably my favourite, alongside "American Gold" for Gracie Gold, which really means "American Dollars", but you can read it as "American Kim" as well.

shine

Record Breaker

1 Adelina
2 Kanako
3 Gracie
4 Osmond
5 Julia
5 Zijun
6 Tuk

I would say you exaggerate your own self.

Robeye

Final Flight

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1286/6264247/23026732/384415041.jpg

Respect the Spots. :yes:

Maybe it's the eye make-up, but I see more than a passing resemblance in the facial expressions of these two exquisite creatures.

If a cheetah and Yuna could have a conversation, I envision something perfectly relaxed and simpatico, maybe something like this:

"Hmm, no, I prefer jugular to haunch, myself."

"Yes, but all that leaping can be so tiresome. You should see my pedicurist bills..."

willdu

On the Ice
Osmond as number one ? she has no artistry excpet making pouts and flashing her lashes and oprning her mouth everytime in her SP and LP
Zijun still looks frail both in skating and her expressions but she still has time to improve, Agree Julia has huge potential,
she had Morozov as a choroegrapher before but is working with Averbukh now so we shall see

Artistry is about moving with the music and I completely believe that Osmond characterized her music last season if she has to pout and flash her lashes to do so, then so be it. I think a lot of it is choreography. Zijun = perfect sleeping beauty. Soft, dainty and charming. I also think Gold has a lot of potential. The Ice exhibition that she did was fantastic. I wish she could translate that into her programs though through better music selections. Something with sass that isn't too sexy because based on Hernando's Hideaway, I don't think she's ready for that yet.

Also I love the nicknames.Favorite was definitely princess sit floor. If there ever was a way to describe Cohen, it is this.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

1 Adelina
2 Kanako
3 Gracie
4 Osmond
5 Julia
5 Zijun
6 Tuk

I'd change that to

1. Adelina
2. Kaetlyn
3. Zijun
4. Liza T
5. Julia
6. Gracie

(I see no reason to include Kanako on this list b/c she can't be considered a "newbie.")

My reasoning:

Adelina: She has the visual presentation (extension, line, presence) in addition to the fire, energy and spark needed to pull off the choreography. As horrible as her FS was last season she was able to get into the music and bring it to life. She projects outward and gives energy to her performances. Of all the current newbies, she's the most well-rounded when it comes to presentation and performance. Others have one but lack the other...

Kaetlyn: Her performance ability is what makes her stand out. She connects to her music and choreography as well as the audience and the judges. You can see and feel it when she performs and that's what she does...Kaetlyn performs, she doesn't just skate. She lacks the refinement and elegance Adelina has but her ability to project and perform are what make her stand out.

Zijun: Her strength is her presentation and packaging. Zijun is a light and lyrical skater and her programs highlight those aspects of her skating. She's graceful and soft and because she plays to those strengths in her programs those characteristics of her skating stand out. She always looks very calm and relaxed when she skates rather than terrified or just blank in the face. All of that combined just makes her very pleasant to watch.

Liza T: She's another performer who will get into her music and give it a little "umph!" when she performs. She's not the most aesthetically pleasing skater in terms of her lines and presentation but I do appreciate what she brings when she skates: attitude, fire and passion. She commits to her music and choreography and sells it as best as she can.

Julia: I think Julia's presentation is very lovely. She has flexibility and extension but sometimes hyper-flexibility isn't that pretty. Overall though, she does have lovely lines and a much more mature level of presentation for someone her age. However, Julia is deaf to the music. I put the majority of the blame on her choreographer (*cough* Morosov *cough*). There isn't even an attempt to make the choreography match the music. It looks like someone comes up with a program and then randomly throws some music on top of it. Voila! Program complete. Julia is very cold and mechanical when she skates. There's little to no expression from her. She's all business and that's what her skating looks like: go out there, get the job done, get your scores. I think she could be amazing with the right choreographer. She needs someone who will utilize her flexibility and presentation rather than exploit it.

Gracie: Gracie is extremely stiff: her arms are stiff, her knees are stiff...she's stiff. It gives her a rigid appearance on the ice. I want someone to grab her by the shoulders and shake her to loosen her up a little. Gracie is capable of staying in time with the music and hitting her accents so I don't think she's deaf to the music. It's just that there's nothing behind what she's doing. There's no connection to the movement with the music; it looks rehearsed. I don't get the sense she understands her music or whatever story/feeling there is behind it. When she competes, she often goes blank in the face. To compare, Kanako sometimes has a blank face/focused look when she skates BUT there's still feeling and expression in her movements. If that were Gracie's case then I wouldn't care about that vacant look when she skates. But when your face is as expressionless as your movement, it's obvious there's nothing there...you're just going through the motions.

The answer isn't to plaster a fake smile on her face and call that "expression." Gracie needs to learn to connect with her music. When she feels it, it will translate in her movement. Then she won't have that juniorish rehearsed looked; if the feeling is authentic, the movement will be authentic. That's not to say she'll be pwtty princess elegant/graceful or even that she needs to be. It just means her skating will be much more authentic and not forced or rehearsed.

There are a number of skaters who I find superior to Julia and Gracie when it comes to artistry/interpretation/performance: Elena Radionova, Hannah Miller, Polina Korobeynikova, Yasmin Siraj, So Youn Park, Haruka Imai, Karen Chen, Haejin Kim, Satoko Miyahara...all do a much better job of performing their choreography and connecting to the music.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I

Adelina: She has the visual presentation (extension, line, presence) in addition to the fire, energy and spark needed to pull off the choreography. ...

Kaetlyn: ...Kaetlyn performs, she doesn't just skate. She lacks the refinement and elegance ....

Zijun: She's graceful and soft and because she plays to those strengths in her programs those characteristics of her skating stand out. She always looks very calm and relaxed when she skates ...
Liza T: .... She's not the most aesthetically pleasing skater in terms of her lines and presentation but I do appreciate what she brings when she skates: attitude, fire and passion. She commits to her music and choreography and sells it as best as she can.

Gracie: Gracie is extremely stiff: her arms are stiff, her knees are stiff...she's stiff. It gives her a rigid appearance on the ice. I want someone to grab her by the shoulders and shake her to loosen her up a little. Gracie is capable of staying in time with the music and hitting her accents so I don't think she's deaf to the music. It's just that there's nothing behind what she's doing. There's no connection to the movement with the music; it looks rehearsed. I don't get the sense she understands her music or whatever story/feeling there is behind it. When she competes, she often goes blank in the face. To compare, Kanako sometimes has a blank face/focused look when she skates BUT there's still feeling and expression in her movements. If that were Gracie's case then I wouldn't care about that vacant look when she skates. But when your face is as expressionless as your movement, it's obvious there's nothing there...you're just going through the motions.

The answer isn't to plaster a fake smile on her face and call that "expression." Gracie needs to learn to connect with her music. When she feels it, it will translate in her movement. Then she won't have that juniorish rehearsed looked; if the feeling is authentic, the movement will be authentic. That's not to say she'll be pwtty princess elegant/graceful or even that she needs to be. It just means her skating will be much more authentic and not forced or rehearsed.

There are a number of skaters who I find superior to Julia and Gracie when it comes to artistry/interpretation/performance: Elena Radionova, Hannah Miller, Polina Korobeynikova, Yasmin Siraj, So Youn Park, Haruka Imai, Karen Chen, Haejin Kim, Satoko Miyahara...all do a much better job of performing their choreography and connecting to the music.

I like reading your comments, they are very accurate. also, I love many of the young skaters you mentioned here regarding their artistry.

Candy clouds

Rinkside
I'm sorry OP,but there is absolutely nothing similar between Gold and Kim. I love how everyone compares the new kids on the block to skating veterans. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't people claim Elizabeta Tuk. and Sotnikova were the next "Kim". Hmm I have yet to see them live up to it.

Not impressed by Gold. Never was really.