Is there an ideal "figure" in figure skating? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Is there an ideal "figure" in figure skating?

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I don't think there is a single, permanent "ideal" figure type in skating. Rather, I think the "ideal" figure type varies by discipline and changes over time, based on changing technical requirements and the evolving judging system.

For example, to consider ladies. In the 1940s-1960s, school figures were the dominant factor, jumps were not that important, and successful ladies back then had what we'd now consider a less athletic look. Then in the 1980s and 1990s, the judging system changed; school figures became less important, jumps more so. What mattered in this era was the number and variety of jumps landed on one foot. The most successful ladies had a generally "short, slim & compact" look. Most were between 5'0"-5'4", and typically on the shorter side of that range (although Witt and Thomas were outliers at 5'5"). And probably more ladies than not had long torsos/short legs. Now, in the 2010s, the judging system has changed again. It's all about GOE and the "quality" of the jump (i.e., height, edge takeoff, flow out of landing). This change seems to have favored the emergence a group of taller, more willowy, long-legged skaters, typically 5'4" and over, leading examples being Kim, Kostner, Asada, Gold, Sotnikova, Korpi, Gao. So I'd argue that the "ideal" figure hasn't remained static but has changed over the years.

And the "ideal" figure type is very different in dance and pairs. In pairs, it is still very advantageous for the lady to be short, between 4'10"-5'4", and preferably on the shorter end of that range. A shorter torso/long legs is preferred but not essential. In dance, meanwhile, ladies can be much taller, although with increasingly difficult lift requirements, we may see a trend toward more petite, willowy dancers, like Meryl Davis.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kim and Mao are not really tall. Leggy yes tall no. They are both around 5 ft 4 inches tall.

I don't think there is a single, permanent "ideal" figure type in skating. Rather, I think the "ideal" figure type varies by discipline and changes over time, based on changing technical requirements and the evolving judging system.

For example, to consider ladies. In the 1940s-1960s, school figures were the dominant factor, jumps were not that important, and successful ladies back then had what we'd now consider a less athletic look. Then in the 1980s and 1990s, the judging system changed; school figures became less important, jumps more so. What mattered in this era was the number and variety of jumps landed on one foot. The most successful ladies had a generally "short, slim & compact" look. Most were between 5'0"-5'4", and typically on the shorter side of that range (although Witt and Thomas were outliers at 5'5"). And probably more ladies than not had long torsos/short legs. Now, in the 2010s, the judging system has changed again. It's all about GOE and the "quality" of the jump (i.e., height, edge takeoff, flow out of landing). This change seems to have favored the emergence a group of taller, more willowy, long-legged skaters, typically 5'4" and over, leading examples being Kim, Kostner, Asada, Gold, Sotnikova, Korpi, Gao. So I'd argue that the "ideal" figure hasn't remained static but has changed over the years.

And the "ideal" figure type is very different in dance and pairs. In pairs, it is still very advantageous for the lady to be short, between 4'10"-5'4", and preferably on the shorter end of that range. A shorter torso/long legs is preferred but not essential. In dance, meanwhile, ladies can be much taller, although with increasingly difficult lift requirements, we may see a trend toward more petite, willowy dancers, like Meryl Davis.

I think this is a very good way to think about the question.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Of the newer skaters, we have Courtney Hicks who is short, short-waisted and muscular, and Polina Edmunds, who is on the tall side, willowy, with very long arms and legs. Of course, Polina at 15 isn't all the way through puberty yet, so we don't know how she will look (or skate) when she fills out a bit.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ideal from an aesthetic standpoint, or a technical one? The first is just a matter of personal preference, so there is no ideal. I don't think there's an ideal for technical ability, either. Midori Ito and Yu Na are very different in body type, but both are powerful jumpers. In general, skaters tend not to be very tall--men as well as women. But there are exceptions. Evan Lysacek is tall and Shizuka Arakawa istall for a skater (5'5 or 5'6"). Shizuka is another one who was a very good jumper, but was no twig when she won her World Championship. So I don't think one can generalize. By the way, why are these types of questions always directed mainly at female skaters? What is the ideal male skater's body type?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Of the newer skaters, we have Courtney Hicks who is short, short-waisted and muscular, and Polina Edmunds, who is on the tall side, willowy, with very long arms and legs. Of course, Polina at 15 isn't all the way through puberty yet, so we don't know how she will look (or skate) when she fills out a bit.

pre puberty bodies are not counted

clairecloutier

Final Flight
Kim and Mao are not really tall. Leggy yes tall no. They are both around 5 ft 4 inches tall.

No, they're not tall compared to the general population. But they are on the slightly taller side for female figure skaters (who as a group are short).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ideal from an aesthetic standpoint, or a technical one? The first is just a matter of personal preference, so there is no ideal. I don't think there's an ideal for technical ability, either. Midori Ito and Yu Na are very different in body type, but both are powerful jumpers. In general, skaters tend not to be very tall--men as well as women. But there are exceptions. Evan Lysacek is tall and Shizuka Arakawa istall for a skater (5'5 or 5'6"). Shizuka is another one who was a very good jumper, but was no twig when she won her World Championship. So I don't think one can generalize. By the way, why are these types of questions always directed mainly at female skaters? What is the ideal male skater's body type?

I meant for it to be an open-ended discussion beyond who is "fat" and who is "not fat." So you are free to answer the question as you wish.

That's a great point RE: personal preference; which is what I think is driving a lot of this perception-based assessments of people's health and ability. Clearly some folks have a stuck image on what LOOKS good and somehow ties that to what is good from a sports perspective.

Also we started on women because that's what the original discussion was, but I"d be glad to talk about guys too!

Also, I agree that eryia's answer was great and sort of the academic discussion I love! :)

yyyskate

Record Breaker
What is the ideal male skater's body type?

I think for male skater, Yuzuru's body type is idea. who has tight core and long legs and arms (with sufficient muscle on his thigh and butt not like twigs). which will help him spring high and rotate fast. also, long legs and arms and good flexibility will help with a better presence on ice and prevent injury. Also, he is not too tall like Evan, So his center of gravity is low enough to keep him balanced.
Skaters that has similar body type: Jason brown
I also think neck is very important in both male and female skaters' body built. A long neck is preferred. e.g. Yuna, Javi, Patrick, Yuzuru etc.
Oh perhaps, the only drawback of Yuzuru's body type is his shoulders, For a male skater broad shoulders is preferred which will help with much better carriage. This is actually true for female skater too.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think there's an "ideal" body type for singles. Look at the podium for men's Nationals this year. There were at least three different body types between the four men there. Look at the differences between Max Aaron and Joshua Farris - and yet they're both exceptional skaters.

bestskate8

On the Ice
Navka, Volosazhar, Berezhnaya, Gordeeva, Lipniskaya, Siharulidze, Grinkov, Plushenko, Kastomarov, Gachinsky

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Navka, Volosazhar, Berezhnaya, Gordeeva, Lipniskaya, Siharulidze, Grinkov, Plushenko, Kastomarov, Gachinsky

Julia hasnt done growing yet but she could fall to either three type: average, lean/petite or leggy/tall
but I doubt she'll shoot her height drastically but she wont have a broad body either like Tuk
she is more like a Lipinski body type, very proportioned ratio but still lean, the more she grew the more she got thinner but she might fill out
a bit after shes done growing, I see her body fat not exceeding Mao's level. Julia's mom and dad are fit on vk

for vk users only;

Julia body type is the closest to Yuna/Mao but she wont be that tall I think but she will be lean even after puberty

http://cs405821.vk.me/v405821512/7e1e/Te2HYOrTK08.jpg :)
http://cs405821.vk.me/v405821512/766f/H7UEqxXN-JM.jpg
http://cs9271.vk.me/v9271512/1c1e/kzgxI48BcPw.jpg
http://cs9271.vk.me/v9271512/28b2/S1Cm13eqzeE.jpg