Nebelhorn Trophy 2013: Sep 25-28 [Oberstdorf, Germany] - Olympic Qualifying Event | Golden Skate

Nebelhorn Trophy 2013: Sep 25-28 [Oberstdorf, Germany] - Olympic Qualifying Event

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Nebelhorn Trophy 2013: Sep 25-28 [Oberstdorf, Germany] - Olympic Qualifying Event

ETA:

For some (but not all) countries, LIVE STREAMING of Nebelhorn competitions is available on the ISU's YouTube channel:
The ISU stream is geo-blocked in the U.S. and Japan, for example.​

Direct link to ISU page for Nebelhorn Starting orders + Results + Time Schedules, etc.:

ISU event overview page for links to Nebelhorn Entries/Starting orders/Results:

GoldenSkate thread re Eurosport coverage of Nebelhorn:

Official Nebelhorn announcement (12-page PDF):

Skate Canada has posted its Nebelhorn assignments.

Ladies
• Veronik Mallet
Men
• Jeremy Ten
Pair
• Natasha Purich/Mervin Tran
Ice Dance
• Alexander [sic :eek:] Paul/Mitchell Islam​

ETA: I copied and pasted the list above from the Skate Canada page -- just noticed that they messed up Alexandra Paul's name. :(

ETA, thanks to Doris for creating the Senior B sub-forum and moving this thread over there. :bow: :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This ought to be good - a nice easy entry into international Seniors for Jason. Oda, Dmitriev and Martinez the only ones likely to give him any bother, and he beat Martinez last time out, and Dmitriev hasn't been skating well in a long while.

I just noticed Australia has no pair entered. :no: #teamaustraliaforteamevent

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Purich/Tran and Takahashi/Kihara both are among the pair entries. :popcorn:

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Olympic qualifying analysis time, then. Men's entries for countries not yet qualified:

1 Slavik HAYRAPETYAN ARM 1
2 Brendan KERRY AUS 2
Andrew DODDS AUS 2 S
Jordan DODDS AUS 2 S
David KRANJEC AUS 2 S
Mark WEBSTER AUS 2 S
3 Pavel IGNATENKO BLR 3
Mikhail KARALIUK BLR 3 S
Vitali LUCHANOK BLR 3 S
4 Luiz MANELLA BRA 4
Kevin ALVES BRA 4 S
5 Manol ATANASSOV BUL 5
Iassen PETKOV BUL 5 S
7 Jordan JU TPE 7
8 Josip GLUHAK CRO 8
10 Justus STRID DEN 10
11 Hyon CHOE PRK 11
12 Bela PAPP FIN 12
13 Valtter VIRTANEN FIN 12
Matthias VERSLUIS FIN 12 S
15 Phillip HARRIS GBR 14
Harry MATTICK GBR 14 S
Matthew PARR GBR 14 S
16 Ronald LAM HKG 15
17 Marton MARKO HUN 16
Kristof FORGO HUN 16 S
18 Conor STAKELUM IRL 17
19 Alexei BYCHENKO ISR 18
20 Stanislav SAMOKHIN ISR 18
21 Paul Bonifacio PARKINSON ITA 19
Paolo BACCHINI ITA 19 S
Dario BETTI ITA 19 S
Saverio GIACOMELLI ITA 19 S
Antonio PANFILI ITA 19 S
Maurizio ZANDRON ITA 19 S
23 Saulius AMBRULEVICIUS LTU 21
24 Fabriczio CARRILLO MEX 22
25 Florian GOSTELIE NED 23
Boyito MULDER NED 23 S
26 Michael Christian MARTINEZ PHI 24
Christopher CALUZA PHI 24 S
27 Maciej CIEPLUCHA POL 25
Patrick MYZYK POL 25 S
28 Jin Seo KIM KOR 26
Dong-Won LEE KOR 26 S
June Hyoung LEE KOR 26 S
29 Zoltan KELEMEN ROU 27
Catalin DIMITRESCU ROU 27 S
32 Stephane WALKER SUI 30
Mikael REDIN SUI 30 S
33 Osman AKGÜN TUR 31
Ali DEMIRBOGA TUR 31 S
34 Yakov GODOROZHA UKR 32

27 countries, 2 of them sending two contenders while the others all send one, six spots, no countries that have the other 24 likely to give any of them up, and no locks. Insert Hunger Games reference here. Then consider:

Yakov Godorozha: Just missed at Worlds
Justus Strid: Also made the men's free at Worlds, but was much further behind
Maciej Ciepulcha: Just missed qualifying for the free
Jin-Seo Kim: Behind Ciepulcha, but has the potential to do better than that
Michael Christian Martinez: Wasn't at Worlds because Chris Caluza took that berth over him, but considered likely to pass him sooner or later
Pavel Ignatenko: Withdrew from Worlds, beat three of the above plus Olympic qualifier Viktor Romanenkov at Europeans
Stephane Walker: Has earned scores comparable to those above
Luiz Manella: Lacked the qualifying score for Worlds, but getting some attention very recently since, and it should be kept in mind that non-European skaters have less chances to earn said score
Hyon Choe: Did respectably enough at the Asian Figure Skating Trophy two weeks ago, the first time we've seen anything of him, and North Korea does often qualify at least one skater for the games
Alexei Bychenko & Stanislav Samokhin: The former probably has more chance than the latter, who has no international record sending an extra skater probably ups a country's chances at least a little
Bela Papp & Valtter Virtanen: Have generally weaker records than Bychenko, but again there's two of them...
Zoltan Keleman: The only man here competing for a spot who has won one in the past, which he did for the last Olympics

Predicting seems like shooting in the dark, but I'm going to go with Godorozha, Kim, Martinez, Ignatenko, Ciepulcha, and for the final spot, I've just got a feeling about Manella, though I'd be close to saying Keleman instead. Look for me to probably be wrong. Ladies and couples coming up this evening, hopefully.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
Question about the pairs event: why are Tatiana NOVIK / Andrei NOVOSELOV competing for Romania? There must be some kind of mistake.

GF2445

Record Breaker
I had a look at the Nebelhorn trophy announcement and it said that if a nations wanted to gain an olympic qualification spot in a certain discipline through Nebelhorn, they were only allowed to send one entry for that discipline.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Jason and Radionova: two Senior debuts that I'm REALLY looking forward to! :popcorn: And, in Ice Dance M/K vs H/D should be interesting!

Mirunna

Record Breaker
perhaps they switch countries
and now compete for Romania ?

I found nothing on the internet about this, no news, 0 (but that's not too relevant since Romania's interest in figure skating is practically non existent and the Romanian figure skating federation's site has not been updated since 2011 or close to that). I am very curious to see if it's true and what are they planning for the future

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Very excited for Jason's senior international debut! He could easily win this... :popcorn:

It will be a great debut, I'm sure. I don't think he'll beat Oda though. Will be interesting to see how their PCS compares though.

Hoping Purich/Tran have a great result. V/T and J/C should go 1-2, but there are a few teams that can win bronze.

Another very interesting entry:

Olga BESTANDIGOVA / Ilhan MANSIZ TUR

Isn't he the soccer player who wanted to become a skater? It must be their first competition ever together (besides Stars on Ice Turkey).

MissIzzy

Final Flight
I had a look at the Nebelhorn trophy announcement and it said that if a nations wanted to gain an olympic qualification spot in a certain discipline through Nebelhorn, they were only allowed to send one entry for that discipline.

Hmmmm. Perhaps Finland and Israel are planning to pull some of their entries later. In any case, I'm going to ignore the presence of Juulia Turkkila on the ladies roster here, because really, Kiira Korpi's going to go if she can and qualify the spot if she's allowed to. Ladies entries for countries not yet qualified:

1 Brooklee HAN AUS 1
Chantelle KERRY AUS 1 S
Jaimee NOBBS AUS 1 S
Stephanie ZHANG AUS 1 S
2 Kerstin FRANK AUT 2
Victoria HUEBLER AUT 2 S
Belinda SCHÖNBERGER AUT 2 S
3 Kristina ZAKHARANKA BLR 3
Victoria LIAKHAVA BLR 3 S
4 Kaat VAN DAELE BEL 4
Isabelle PIEMAN BEL 4 S
5 Isadora WILLIAMS BRA 5
6 Anna AFONKINA BUL 6
Daniela STOEVA BUL 6 S
8 Crystal KIANG TPE 8
9 Eliska BREZINOVA CZE 9
Jana COUFALOVA CZE 9 S
Laura RASZYKOVA CZE 9 S
Klara SVETLIKOVA CZE 9 S
Elizaveta UKOLOVA CZE 9 S
10 Anita MADSEN DEN 10
12 Kiira KORPI FIN 12
13 Juulia TURKKILA FIN 12
Rosaliina KUPARINEN FIN 12 S
Seidi RANTANEN FIN 12 S
14 Elene GEDEVANISHVILI GEO 13
16 Isabella SCHUSTER-VELISSARIOU GRE 15
Georgia GLASTRIS GRE 15 S
17 Chelsea Rose CHIAPPA HUN 16
18 Clara PETERS IRL 17
19 Danielle MONTALBANO ISR 18
20 Alina FJODOROVA LAT 19
21 Inga JANULEVICIUTE LTU 20
22 Fleur MAXWELL LUX 21
23 Reyna HAMUI MEX 22
24 Michelle COUWENBERG NED 23
Kim BELL NED 23 S
25 Anne Line GJERSEM NOR 24
26 Alisson Krystle PERTICHETO PHI 25
Melissa BULANHAGUI PHI 25 S
27 Agata KRYGER POL 26
28 Sabina MARIUTA ROU 27
Julia SAUTER ROU 27 S
30 Sandra RISTIVOJEVIC SRB 29
31 Dasa GRM SLO 30
Nika CERIC SLO 30 S
32 Lejeanne MARAIS RSA 31
33 Sonia LAFUENTE ESP 32
35 Tina STUERZINGER SUI 34
Anna OVCHAROVA SUI 34 S
36 Sila SAYGI TUR 35
Birce ATABEY TUR 35 S

30 contenders for 6 spots, and Korpi, as I said already, is certain to take one of them. Elene Gedevanishvili in theory should too if she skates half-decently; her recent track record there is concerning but nonetheless let's pencil her in. For four more spots that leaves:

Sonia LaFuente: Would've qualified at Worlds with a better free, and that she didn't was quite the disappointment; qualified at Nebelhorn four years ago
Brooklee Han: Just missed at Worlds, amid debate as to whether final qualifier Jenna McCorkell was held up over her
Kerstin Frank: Poor Frank, two quadrenniums in a row she's made the free at the pre-Olympic Worlds then failed to get a spot out of that, but at least this time around she wasn't passed within her own country before Nebelhorn
Isadora Williams: Just missed making the free at Worlds
Anita Madsen: Only a fraction behind Williams in the short, and has a higher PB than her
Alina Fjodorova: Has a higher PB than either of the above two
Fleur Maxwell: Qualified in 2006, but that was a very long time ago

LaFuente looks pretty good, and from the others, I'll predict Han, Madsen, & Frank.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It will be a great debut, I'm sure. I don't think he'll beat Oda though. Will be interesting to see how their PCS compares though.

That depends, is Oda going to be counting his jumps this time or not? (Sorry Oda.) I don't know, Jason's in great form, but even a silver at Nebelhorn would be a fantastic Senior debut!

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Pairs

Pairs Entries from countries not yet qualified:

1 Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER AUT 1
2 Maria PALIAKOVA / Nikita BOCHKOV BLR 2
3 Elizaveta MAKAROVA / Leri KENCHADZE BUL 3
5 So Hyang PAK / Nam I SONG PRK 5
6 Natalja ZABIJAKO / Alexandr ZABOEV EST 6
10 Stacey KEMP / David KING GBR 9
11 Andrea DAVIDOVICH / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI ISR 10
12 Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA JPN 11
13 Magdalena KLATKA / Radoslaw CHRUSCINSKI POL 12
14 Tatiana NOVIK / Andrei NOVOSELOV (TBC) ROU 13
16 Veronica GRIGORIEVA / Aritz MAESTU ESP 15
17 Ronja ROLL / Gustav FORSGREN SWE 16
18 Olga BESTANDIGOVA / Ilhan MANSIZ TUR 17
19 Julia LAVRENTIEVA / Yuri RUDYK UKR 18
Elizaveta USMANTSEVA / Roman TALAN UKR 18 S

14 pairs competing for an initial four spots, though there may be at least one more later on, since in France they have two pairs for two spots, but one of them in a citizenship situation apparently the current French government is unlikely to be willing to bail them out of. It's few enough pairs to consider them all:

Miriam ZIEGLER / Severin KIEFER: A new pair: she competed in the Olympics in singles four years ago, qualifying here at Nebelhorn, while he and his previous partner competed in a lot of places, but didn't necessarily do very well at them and didn't make it to Worlds; he'll want better luck with her, maybe
Maria PALIAKOVA / Nikita BOCHKOV: A former Russian skater with his partner skating for Belarus(I suspect the citizenship issues here will be taken care of:biggrin:); weaker than the above
Elizaveta MAKAROVA / Leri KENCHADZE: Actually were good enough for Worlds, though not for the free there
So Hyang PAK / Nam I SONG: No international record; a pretty much unknown quantity
Natalja ZABIJAKO / Alexandr ZABOEV: Another new partnership, her umpteenth one, with him actually being from the Czech Republic(Estonia's pretty good at giving citizenship, but they don't have dual citizenship, meaning he'd have to give his Czech citizenship up); her record is much stronger than his
Stacey KEMP / David KING: Qualified at Worlds last time around, but have not had their best years since
Andrea DAVIDOVICH / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI: While his former partner tries to qualify in singles, he shows up with a former singles skater; he has to hope she's at least as good as her, if not better
Narumi TAKAHASHI / Ryuichi KIHARA: If they are half as good as she was with Mervin Tran, they should have no problem here
Magdalena KLATKA / Radoslaw CHRUSCINSKI: Came in last at Worlds, though at least they made it there
Tatiana NOVIK / Andrei NOVOSELOV: Former Russian pair that apparently has countryhopped. Good enough it could serve them well, if they can get that TBC removed...
Veronica GRIGORIEVA / Aritz MAESTU: Not sure whether she's Spanish or not, no idea what that citizenship situation might be like, but he and his previous partner weren't very strong at all
Ronja ROLL / Gustav FORSGREN: Have been together a very long time, but not that strong either
Olga BESTANDIGOVA / Ilhan MANSIZ: Easily win the prize for weirdest story of the competition: he's a former soccer player who learned to skate at 33 for a Skating With Celebrities type show in 2008, she was his long-retired partner who started dating him, they continued skating after winning the show then in 2011 announced they were going to try to make the Olympics, and now they are here. No international record, but this just doesn't seem like a likely pair to pull this off...
Julia LAVRENTIEVA / Yuri RUDYK: Came very close to getting qualifying scores for Worlds last year, when they had a very good first senior season, very much a rising pair

...so that probably comes out to Takahashi & Kihara, Novik & Novoselov(assuming they make it there), Lavrentieva & Rudik, and Kemp & King. But if another spot becomes available, it'll be interest to see whose first alternate.

MissIzzy

Final Flight
Ice Dance

Ice Dance Entries from countries not yet qualified:

1 Danielle OBRIEN / Gregory MERRIMAN AUS 1
Katherine FIRKIN / Henri DU PONT AUS 1 S
2 Kira GEIL / Tobias EISENBAUER AUT 2
Barbora SILNA / Juri KURAKIN AUT 2 S
3 Lesia VOLODENKOVA / Vitali VAKUNOV BLR 3
5 Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG CHN 5
Xiaoyang YU / Chen WANG CHN 5 S
Yiyi ZHANG / Nan WU CHN 5 S
6 Gabriela KUBOVA / Matej NOVAK CZE 6
Lucie MYSLIVECKOVA / Neil BROWN CZE 6 S
7 Irina SHTORK / Taavi RAND EST 7
8 Olesia KARMI / Max LINDHOLM FIN 8
Henna LINDHOLM / Ossi KANERVO FIN 8 S
9 Angelina TELEGINA / Otar JAPARIDZE GEO 9
11 Dora TUROCZI / Balazs MAJOR HUN 11
12 Allison REED / Vasili ROGOV ISR 12
13 Cathy REED / Chris REED JPN 13
14 Pilar MAEKAWA MORENO / Leonardo MAEKAWA MORENO MEX 14
15 Justyna PLUTOWSKA / Peter GERBER POL 15
Alexandra ZVORIGINA / Maciej BERNADOWSKI POL 15 S
17 Federica TESTA / Lukas CSOLLEY SVK 17
18 Sara HURTADO / Adria DIAZ ESP 18
19 Ramona ELSENER / Florian ROOST SUI 19
20 Alisa AGAFONOVA / Alper UCAR TUR 20

17 pairs for 5 spots might not sound as bad as the singles, at least, but when one considers that Huang & Zheng are unlikely not to take one of them, and then look over at some of the contenders for the other four, this discipline may see the most broken hearts here, with:

Cathy & Chris Reed: I came extremely close to penciling these two in with Huang & Zheng, but with all the trouble they've had lately, I really don't think they're locks
Sara Hurtado & Adria Diaz: Had serious hopes of qualifying at Worlds, though ultimately that didn't happen
Alisa Agafonova & Alper Ucar: Also had hopes of qualifying at Worlds after showing their potential at Europeans, though a bad short kept them out of the free
Irina Shtork & Taavi Rand: Competing four years ago thanks to the berth his brother and his American-born partner earned and then couldn't use themselves; have improved enough since to potentially earn it themselves this time
Danielle O'Brien & Gregory Merriman: Tragically were forced out of Nebelhorn last time by illness when they would've no doubt made it then, but this field is much stronger
Gabriela Kubova & Matej Novak: In contrast to Shtork & Rand, he and previous partner(whom they beat out to make it here) qualified a berth last time, then couldn't use it when she broke her arm, but they were stronger together than they've been with their current partners so far
Angelina Telegina & Otar Japaridze: Last qualifier with his previous partner last time, and he got her citizenship too, but they too might find the field has passed them by, as might even
Allison Reed & Vasily Rogov: His previous partner and her new one, but even if they make it, there's the citizenship issue, and though they talk as if that's not a problem, even if it isn't, when they didn't make the free at Worlds last year there's the demanding Israeli Olympic Committee to consider...

After the Reeds & Hurtado & Diaz, I really don't know which of the above to pick for the last two. Perhaps O'Brien & Merriman, and Agafonova & Ucar. Then the rest will have to wait to see if Lithuania gives their team the needed citizenship, or even if Germany uses both their spots.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
What is the minimum Technikal score required for the olympics? could someone explaine to me what score the norwegian Anne Line Gjersem would need to get her to qualify? :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
What is the minimum Technikal score required for the olympics?

Minimum Technical Scores for ISU European and ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2014 and Olympic Winter Games 2014:

- MEN SP 25.00 FS 45.00

- LADIES SP 20.00 FS 36.00

- PAIR SKATING SP 20.00 FS 36.00

- ICE DANCE SD 18.00 FD 28.00​