Sandhu to hit the ice again at B.C. Summer | Golden Skate

Sandhu to hit the ice again at B.C. Summer

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A record 609 entries, including Emanuel Sandhu coming out of retirement, will participate in the Pond to Podium Super Series B.C. Summer Skate this Thursday through Sunday at Burnaby Eight Rinks.

More

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wish him the best and that he skates for pure joy. Sadly he doesn't have the funding to really compete because it might be too late now but he has the goods to be Canada's no. 3 - if he had continued skating form last year's nationals he really had a good shot of at least top 5. If he got his speed up, competitive spins and all the jumps even with an iffy axel he might have had enough to get no. 3 in Canada. I wonder how good REynolds is more importantly though he isn't skating at this comp - I hope Patrick has an amazing freeskate planned for Canada.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think he's a great example of skating for himself. No expectations, just skating for the fans and the love of his sport. He's really matured, and I don't think he has anything to prove, and I hope people will respect his competing instead of automatically dismissing him or poking fun (although "Sandhu to hit the ice again" is a bit of an unfortunate choice of headline).

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think he actually could have a shot at the 3rd spot on Canada's Olympic team though. Everyone outside the top 2 in Canada is so weak now it is totally wide open.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I wish him the best and that he skates for pure joy. Sadly he doesn't have the funding to really compete because it might be too late now but he has the goods to be Canada's no. 3 - if he had continued skating form last year's nationals he really had a good shot of at least top 5. If he got his speed up, competitive spins and all the jumps even with an iffy axel he might have had enough to get no. 3 in Canada.

:thumbsup: ITA! Best of luck to Eman! :yay::party::party2:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think he actually could have a shot at the 3rd spot on Canada's Olympic team though. Everyone outside the top 2 in Canada is so weak now it is totally wide open.

It's a really outside shot, particularly with his lack of a 3A (though obviously he could get it back). Even his PCS isn't up to par with the other skaters.

I also wouldn't say Rogozine is "so weak" considering he got 13th in his first Worlds (essentially tied Amodio and Liebers for 11th, and placed 9th in the FS), beat GP medallists like Song and Miner, and almost cleared 150 points in his FS. I think last season was about Sandhu getting back out there, and this will be his attempt at a Sasha-esque comeback.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think he's a great example of skating for himself. No expectations, just skating for the fans and the love of his sport. He's really matured, and I don't think he has anything to prove, and I hope people will respect his competing instead of automatically dismissing him or poking fun (although "Sandhu to hit the ice again" is a bit of an unfortunate choice of headline).

i was thinking the same thing about the headline. I wish he could fully train; it is getting late but with some good training he could steal the third spot.

It would be great if Sandhu could return at his best. What a beautiful quality he has as a skater.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I think Russians always appreciated his quality of skating, and there was a time that the Mishin camp actually considering him the biggest threat to Plushenko.

Like Weir, he would also be an openly gay skater competing in Sochi if he made it (although unlike Weir, he probably stands a better chance of competing there, even if it's not the best chance... and when he gets there I don't think he'd be as vocal as Weir would be).

thinspread

On the Ice
I think Russians always appreciated his quality of skating, and there was a time that the Mishin camp actually considering him the biggest threat to Plushenko.

Like Weir, he would also be an openly gay skater competing in Sochi if he made it (although unlike Weir, he probably stands a better chance of competing there, even if it's not the best chance... and when he gets there I don't think he'd be as vocal as Weir would be).

That's interesting! I was a bit surprised to find out he's only 32, given how long he's been away from competition. I guess it would be physically very challenging to regain the old form plus tweak the spins to meet the new COP level requirements in addition to getting back the jumps.

To me Sasha Cohen's comeback attempt in 2009-2010 was very impressive, way better than I expected, and it added to my respect for Sasha. I wish Sandhu's comeback is as satisfying to the fans and look forward to the matchup with him and Rogozine for that 3rd spot.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight
(although "Sandhu to hit the ice again" is a bit of an unfortunate choice of headline).

Ahahahahaha....I didn't even think of that.

In all srsness, I quite admired Sandhu's skating, although I don't really expect to see him anywhere on TV primetime anymore. It's skaters like him that make me wish pro skating was still a big thing. A lot of skaters have a lot to offer performance-wise after their jumps aren't Olympic-level anymore.

lcd

Match Penalty
I would love to see a "skate off" between Sandhu and Rohene Ward. 2 incredible "dance" talents on ice.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I heard that financing is tough and he has to work so is difficult for him to get time off. I wish he had a sponsor to see how far he could go. I wonder if he will try to go for Nationals again - I hope so but I wold like to see him give 110percent not using old costumes, old routines and lacking practice and coaching help.

phaeljones

On the Ice
It's a really outside shot, particularly with his lack of a 3A (though obviously he could get it back). Even his PCS isn't up to par with the other skaters.

I also wouldn't say Rogozine is "so weak" considering he got 13th in his first Worlds (essentially tied Amodio and Liebers for 11th, and placed 9th in the FS), beat GP medallists like Song and Miner, and almost cleared 150 points in his FS. I think last season was about Sandhu getting back out there, and this will be his attempt at a Sasha-esque comeback.

All true.

This is such a longshot, but am I the only one with the impression that Skate Canada doesn't really support Rogozine well and acts as if they would really like to find an alternative for the third spot (although I doubt Sandhu was the skater they had in mind). I say this because I thought I read that they made Rogozine jump through a number of preliminary tests (a skate-off) and, as well, they did not exactly declare Rogozine very early last year as our third entry for Worlds (when he should have been the obvious choice I think). It would appear that third place really is up for grabs.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I get that impression too. I dont get the sense the CSA is that fond of Rogozine, despite that he is a World Junior Champion and did respectable at his first Worlds. I have also heard from various people that he is not that well liked by some of his teammates and those in the organization. I also admit I dont care for his skating. I find all he has is jumps, and he doesnt even have a solid quad which is a must if you are just a jumping bean.

So I still think that 3rd spot is anyones for the taking, and I think if Sandhu put on a great performance he could easily beat someone like Rogozine on PCS (TES is another story and would be alot harder).

gmyers

Record Breaker
It may be more difficult being an outsider but Rogozine could try out Russia. After Plushenko there is favorite Kovtun but no one else really after Kovtun unless Gachinski improves to 2011 level. Maybe they want to develop Kolyada. But even if Kovtun and Gachinski are equal after 2014 that's only two men? Maybe Kolyada. So it could really go Rogozine's way! He is having enormous difficulty gaining real faith from Canadian Powers that be! It's very strange and very weird! But his native country has like 2 men after Sochi. It's open!