Cesario, Rippon, and Zhang/Bartholomay Receive SkAm Spots | Golden Skate

Cesario, Rippon, and Zhang/Bartholomay Receive SkAm Spots

LRK

Record Breaker
Alissa would have to have some minor international exposure, at least, though, if she wanted to go to the Olympics. Some senior B in the autumn perhaps?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If she wants to go to Nationals, Alissa must first do Regionals. Then USFS could send her to Ice Challenge, which conflicts with Sectionals. That way she would satisfy the USFS requirements to qualify for Nationals, and ISU requirement to achieve the minimum TES scores for SP and FS.

She might not be in shape early enough for international competition in October, but she should be able to perform well enough for Regionals.

LRK

Record Breaker
No, why should it be? She can still qualify for Nationals, and get the minimum TES internationally - if she cannot perform well enough to do either, then what would be the point, anyway? SA is fairly early in the season, anyway, and she might need more time to get ready - better to wait, and gather her forces, then compete when she isn't ready, and do so badly.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bad move not giving Jason Brown another GP event this year. He is the future of US Men's skating not Adam. And why didn't they give Courtney Hicks SKam instead of Cesario? Hicks has been on fire this summer. I guess the USFS really wants Wagner to make the GP final since she will have no competition at all from Zhang or Cesario.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Bad move not giving Jason Brown another GP event this year. He is the future of US Men's skating not Adam. And why didn't they give Courtney Hicks SKam instead of Cesario? Hicks has been on fire this summer. I guess the USFS really wants Wagner to make the GP final since she will have no competition at all from Zhang or Cesario.

Courtney announced beforehand (in June/July) that she's competing on the JGP this season. And I wouldn't imagine her giving Ashley much trouble anyway, big jumps or no.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Courtney announced beforehand (in June/July) that she's competing on the JGP this season. And I wouldn't imagine her giving Ashley much trouble anyway, big jumps or no.

Yeah, the thought of Hicks beating Wagner (unless Wagner truly crashes burns and DIES). TES or no, Hicks is NOT refined enough to challenge Wagner at this time and anyone who thinks differently is not in touch with reality.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Well maybe she changed her mind. She's not listed on any of the JGP alternate lists and she's competing at Senior B. So why would she go back and do JGP?

clairecloutier

Final Flight

Well, that explains Samantha over Courtney.

But why Adam over Jason??? As Jammers said, Jason is the future. Adam isn't. And Jason just won Glacier Falls with a quite good performance (in the LP, anyway). Personally I feel like Adam has had quite enough opportunities at this point. And let's face it, he's done little to nothing with them. In his last 6 Grand Prix appearances, the best he's been able to manage was one bronze, and that was back in 2010! Three years ago! Geez. Between the selections of him and Caroline Zhang, I really don't understand what the federation is thinking.

Zhang/Bartholomay, OTOH, is a solid choice and makes sense. I am glad to see them get another GP, they've worked hard for it and proved themselves at SkateDetroit.

I wonder about the still-unfilled dance slot. My hope is they're holding it for Hubbell/Donohue & maybe just waiting to see if Madi's recovery goes well. I hope.

Sk8Boi

Match Penalty
The Skate America prior to the 1998 Nagano Games was a truly good pre-Olympic event. In the Ladies we had both Tara and MK competing with one another prior to Nationals.

The choices of Cesario and Zhang, who realistically have no chance at all to make the Olympic team or come close to the podium at Nationals, is VERY curious. Along with Wagner, why not give it to Grace Gold? Why not send our very best to every GP in the pre-Olympic year? Weird.

Very curious choice for the Ladies.

ForeverFish

Medalist
Gracie can't compete at the same GP as Ashley because they finished right next to each other at Worlds. It makes sense that, being the national champion, Ashley would receive the SkAm spot over Gracie.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
As a NY guy, I'm glad Samantha will compete at SA. I'm also hoping Adam steps it up this year.

Note: Gracie already has two grand prix assignements: Canada & NHK.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Gracie can't compete at the same GP as Ashley because they finished right next to each other at Worlds. It makes sense that, being the national champion, Ashley would receive the SkAm spot over Gracie.

Also the obvious: Gracie got 2 GPs automatically for her finish at Worlds, so makes no sense to take a host pick when she could get invited elsewhere (which she did).

I think the USFSA made an exception for the Shibutanis (who also qualified for two spots automatically) because they train in Detroit.

Caroline Zhang is a interesting choice. She is always a crowd favorite and everyone who knows her history roots for her to do well. She is not, however, going to threaten for the podium. I was expecting to see an up-and-comer in the spot.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

SA spot pretty much always goes to the US champ so it's not surprising Ashley got it over Gracie. Contrary to what some believe/perceive/hope, Gracie IS NOT the top US lady in the world. She has the potential to be but until her potential manifests into some actual results, Ashley (whom Gracie has yet to beat) is the #1 US lady. As a result she gets the preferable/starring spot at SA for the US ladies.

I'm glad to see Samantha get the SA spot though I did think they'd give it to Courtney. But if Courtney is on the JGP again then I understand why.

I think both Adam and Caroline have received the Hail Mary spots in their respective categories...probably more out of appreciation than anything. The newbie seniors probably won't do any damage this season, so why not let the veterans (who probably won't be competing anymore after this year anyway) have the spot as a farewell and thank you?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
No, why should it be? She can still qualify for Nationals, and get the minimum TES internationally - if she cannot perform well enough to do either, then what would be the point, anyway? SA is fairly early in the season, anyway, and she might need more time to get ready - better to wait, and gather her forces, then compete when she isn't ready, and do so badly.

with no GP and possible international B at the late of the season
then make a final qualifying for the nationals for the olympics team ?

chances of getting into the Olympics 1-5%