Ondrej Nepela Trophy 2013: Oct 2-5 [Bratislava, Slovakia] | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ondrej Nepela Trophy 2013: Oct 2-5 [Bratislava, Slovakia]

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Just looked at the protocols for ladies FS. Fifth place Nathalie Weinzerl was the only skater in the FS to land a clean, edge-correct 3Z. For a bunch of senior skaters, that's sad. It seems the number of Ladies Who Lutz (cleanly) is really dropping off. :-((

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
While I appreciate that having the live stream is better than nothing, I wish for next year the organizers can come up with better camera positions, audio capture, and a way to keep track of who's skating and scoring on screen. It's a bit hard to follow. The contrast with the Finlandia stream production is striking.

Hear, hear! :clap:

I'll be honest, during group 2 of the Men's FS there now, I lost count and hadn't a clue who was on the ice! And it didn't help that I hadn't seen any of them before this week. If there had been even one that I could recognise, it would have made things a lot easier. But there wasn't! :laugh:

The echoeyness of the tannoy means that not only can you not make out the introductions of each skater, but you can't make out the results as they are being announced. This is where the lack of on-screen graphics causes a real annoyance, because you just can't keep track of the positions. It mightn't be so bad if the results page on the website was being updated during the competition, but they are only updating it when each competition is over.

As for the camera work, after the shambles that was the filming of Viktoria Helgesson's SP, it hasn't been too bad during the performances. The problem is in between. Sure, it is nice to see the next skater as soon as they come onto the ice. But, I would much prefer to see the reaction of the skater who is getting their results. If nothing else, it would give us an indication of how they fared!

That said, it was really upsetting seeing the reaction of Victoria Manni to her score in the SP. She was the last to perform, so the camera stayed on her. In the middle of the results being announced, she left the sofa in floods of tears. Then you could see her up against a wall still in floods, with her coach trying to console her.

Never mind it being upsetting for her (Victoria came last in the SP, 10 points below the girl directly above her) - it was upsetting for us to watch! It's times like this where you feel that the poor skater deserves a bit of privacy.

I did notice that there was a man with a TV camera standing beside the results area filming the reactions. Why are those pictures not being used? Why are we sticking with the overhead camera?

As I have made clear, I am not able to watch the Finlandia because of geo-blocking (I'll watch the videos that appear later on). But, I am glad that you that can are getting a much better production than us watching Slovakia are.

Let's hope the Ondrej Nepela organisers learn from this year, so that we get a better production next year.

CaroLiza_fan

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Let's hope the Ondrej Nepela organisers learn from this year, so that we get a better production next year.

CaroLiza_fan

I'm not sure what the physical limitations of the Bratislava rink are, but I am sure that at least some technical changes on the camera/sound/graphics side could be employed to mitigate at least some of the shortcomings. But it would need some advance planning and testing--it's not a last minute kind of toss-together. The screen graphics part should be especially easy, since there are plenty of models to copy and not dependent on arena limitations.

swurvestar

Rinkside
Is it working live for you? I'm not seeing any movement that shows 3rd group scores being posted. Maybe they are posting en masse after each group?

I guess I typed too soon. It hasn't updated for me yet either and now they're on the last group.

The timing of this and Finlandia is difficult, V&M are probably going to be on at the same time as Ross Miner, ugh. At least you can pause this feed. I guess I'll do that then.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Tomas! I missed the first 30 seconds of his program. Did he get his first jump pass in? The rest of the program looked pretty good. He is such an entertainer and even better live than on a screen, if you ever get the chance to see him in person.

jiggs

On the Ice
Tomas!!! He landed 4t3t, 3a2t and 3a and all of his planned triples!!! his only mistake was he doubled the second quad. amazing! where has he been last year?? switch back to huth and oberstdorf seems to pay off, so happy for him :)

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Peter Liebers! I love this program and he's doing a good job with it. I've been a big fan of his since I saw him skate at a GP in China a few years ago. He really can interpret a variety of music with interesting choreo.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Just looked at the protocols for ladies FS. Fifth place Nathalie Weinzerl was the only skater in the FS to land a clean, edge-correct 3Z. For a bunch of senior skaters, that's sad. It seems the number of Ladies Who Lutz (cleanly) is really dropping off. :-((

At Finlandia short program Isabelle Olsson, in fith place, was the only one with a clean lutz and GOE +.
But lutzes are definately not what's discussed in the Finlandia thread :laugh:

Tomas :yay:

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Aargh. Had a visitor at the front door and missed first half of Ross Miner's skate--how was it? The second half looked great.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Aw, Ross had math problems -- he popped his quad into a 3S, so he got ZERO points for his 3Z-1L-3S (since he did 2 Axels and 2 lutzs). :cry: That's a loss of 11.77 in BV right there, it cost him a medal.

His team wil need to figure out what to do if he triples to the 4S. Maybe do a 3Z-3T instead?

silverlake22

Record Breaker
OMG, Tomas won? By a huge margin? And scored over 80 points in TES? The sky must be falling!

Kudos to him anyways. Vintage Verner, something I always like to see! Too bad he has no GPs, skating like this he is definitely worthy of them!

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
Podium is Verner - Mura - Liebers. Miner in 4th. Congrats to the medalists. Hopefully bugs will be shaken out of programs as the season progresses.

Art&Sport

Medalist
It's great to see Tomas skating well and with more confidence and belief in himself. Did his issues before have more to do with motivation and training I wonder?

Liebers is a nice skater, obviously inspired by his music and trying to get the most out of his abilities. Did he fall on a planned quad I wonder? Has he ever landed a quad? IMHO, Ross Miner has better overall skating skills than Liebers (Ross has smoother flow over the ice and better edge quality -- IMO they are on a par re expressive/ interpretive skills), but trying to master that quad is seemingly presenting a problem for Ross. He needs it to contend for the top and especially to make a statement in the deep U.S. field, but he obviously needs a better strategic approach to competitions.

The fact Ross landed the quad with some notable success last season placed great expectations on him which appeared to hamper him at 4CCs and Worlds earlier this year (especially with the quad not fully mastered). I really like Ross as a skater and I wish him well this season, especially with Nationals in his hometown of Boston. He needs to become sharper and more confident over the course of the season if he hopes to compete well. Right now I think Adam Rippon is looking very strong and more competitive too. Ross, Adam, and Richard Dornbush could vie for the U.S. third, or perhaps even second spot (if Lysacek isn't well enough to contend). If Jeremy is healthy and competing well, he obviously has a chance for the one or two spot. With his quad perfection, I think Max Aaron may be solid for the U.S. team. Of course, Joshua Farris and Jason Brown could also surprise. No way the U.S. men should not have 3 spots, but that's the way it goes in this sport.

Mao88

Record Breaker
LADIES FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Haruka IMAI (JPN) - 163.64 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
2. Nikol GOSVIIANI (RUS) - 157.12 Free Skate
3. Christina GAO (USA) - 152.84 Free Skate
4. Viktoria HELGESSON (SWE) - 147.46 Free Skate
5. Nathalie WEINZIERL (GER) - 142.88 Free Skate
6. Nicole RAJICOVA (SVK) - 137.02
7. Sarah HECKEN (GER) - 134.53
8. Chantelle KERRY (AUS) - 127.52

Medal Ceremony

MEN'S FREE SKATE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Tomas VERNER (CZE) - 242.45 Free Skate, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy, 4th Copy
2. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 232.62 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
3. Peter LIEBERS (GER) - 217.58 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
4. Ross MINER (USA) - 210.87 Free Skate, 2nd Copy
5. Akio SASAKI (JPN) - 187.06 Free Skate
6. Dmitriy IGNATENKO (UKR) - 171.27 Free Skate
7. Christopher BERNECK (GER) - 168.64
8. Justus STRID (DEN) - 159.57
9. Igor REZNICHENKO (UKR) - 158.71

Medal Ceremony

PAIRS LONG PROGRAM - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Gretchen DONLAN & Andrew SPEROFF (USA) - 160.19 Free Skate
2. Anastasia MARTYUSHEVA & Alexey ROGONOV (RUS) - 154.33 Free Skate
3. Alexa SCIMECA & Chris KNIERIM (USA) - 153.34 Free Skate
4. Haven DENNEY & Brandon FRAZIER (USA) - 142.48 Free Skate
5. Olga BESTANDIGOVA & Ilhan MANSIZ (TUR) - 72.55 Free Skate

SHORT & FREE DANCE - RESULT & VIDEOS

1. Penny COOMES & Nicholas BUCKLAND (GBR) - 148.64 Short Dance, SD - 2nd Copy
2. Charlene GUIGNARD & Marco FABBRI (ITA) - 144.27 Short Dance, SD - 2nd Copy
3. Tanja KOLBE & Stefano CARUSO (GER) - 137.94 SD - 2nd Copy
4. Federica TESTA & Lukas CSOLLEY (SVK) - 137.20 Short Dance, SD - 2nd Copy
5. Nelli ZHIGANSHINA & Alexander GAZSI (GER) - 136.15 Short Dance, SD - 2nd Copy
6. Alexandra ALDRIDGE & Daniel EATON (USA) - 130.49 Short Dance, Free Dance

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I just watched Donlan and Speroff, mainly out of surprise that an American pair won a senior competition of any sort.

They have some lovely qualities, a beautiful SBS spin. Those jumps though... oh my. That's got to be improved.

Still, how interesting that they beat national podium contenders.

Oh yeah. Go Turkey!

tulosai

Record Breaker
OK, I just watched Donlan and Speroff, mainly out of surprise that an American pair won a senior competition of any sort.

They have some lovely qualities, a beautiful SBS spin. Those jumps though... oh my. That's got to be improved.

Oh yeah. Go Turkey!

Yes, they are a beautiful team. If they could up the technical difficulty EVER so slightly and actually land the SBS jumps, they'd be real contenders for the US nationals podium. All they'd really have to do is improve the death spiral (it is pretty but they don't ever get the levels on it which IMO is throwing away points) and either do 2 double axels or another triple as a side by side jump. I hear that, in person, they could also stand to gain speed.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Oh yeah. Go Turkey!
S/K skated their worse competition since they got together a year and a half ago. If clean they would have been the class of the competition. I think the injury to Chris has set them back a bit. At Broadmoor in June before the injury they scored over 65 points. Luckily it's only early October and the GP should get them in shape for Nationals.