Self-Spoiling During Competitions | Golden Skate

Self-Spoiling During Competitions

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I tend to get very nervous while watching figure skating competitions. If it's a live broadcast, I will sometimes turn away from the TV and mute it while my favorites are skating. Whether I watch or not, I’ll sit there with sweaty palms, quickened heartbeat, the whole nine yards. (I feel a bit guilty that I get this nervous and emotionally invested because I’m not even the one doing the skating :laugh:) My family teases me about how tense I get. I say all this as a preamble to a discussion of self-inflicted spoiling. As I’ve gotten older and gained an increasing love for figure skating, and as the internet has become more extensive, I find myself seeking out the results of competitions right after they happen when possible, even if I won’t get to watch the TV coverage until later. I do this with gymnastics, my other favorite sport, as well. During the 2012 Olympics, I kept a close eye on USA Gymnastics’ Twitter feed as they posted live updates. Then, when I watched the primetime broadcast, I was less nervous and could relax more because I already knew the results. I find that knowing the results doesn’t ruin my enjoyment of competitions. I very much enjoy seeing the process of how everything unfolds. I usually get just as excited when I see the outcome unfold, even if I knew what it was before I started watching the event. Am I a complete weirdo for getting so nervous when watching figure skating? How do you all deal with your fan nerves? Does anyone else actually prefer to know the results before they watch the TV coverage? I really hope I’m not the only figure skating fan who does this. Am I a “bad fan” because I don’t want to be surprised? I’m quite curious about what you all think, so have at it!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
No, I get very nervous too. I would have gone to bed during the debacle that was the men's long at Junior Worlds, with no feed and the ISU live scoring all whack, except that I was far too nervous for Josh and Jason and all I'd have done was toss and turn. :laugh:

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I definitely prefer to know the results before I watch, and feel it enhances my enjoyment rather than decreases it, for pretty much the same reasons you named, skatingfan4ever.

I also prefer to know the results. If I know someone has done well, I can relax and watch him or her. I had a lot of trouble with Vancouver! When I watched YuNa, knowing the pressure that was on her from the entire country of South Korea, I could barely sit still. (I always have the irrational feeling that by watching a favorite, I will jinx her. I should realize I'm not that important in the scheme of things, but keep in mind that my two favorite singles skaters are Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browning....) After Kim's short program I felt better. The beginning of the long program, when she gave that smile and got to work, I began to hope that this was the skater who couldn't be jinxed. But I'd have enjoyed the whole two programs a lot more if I'd known ahead of time that she was unbeatable. I'd have enjoyed Mao's a lot more, too, without dreading her triple axels. Her three triple axels, all landed, bless her skates. And then there was the moment that Shen almost skidded off Zhao's shoulders on that lift in the long program! My heart almost rolled right out of my body.

Sochi is going to be a lot easier for me, I think. I'm sorry for Russians, though. Any of them who feel the way we do will be nervous wrecks for two weeks.

blancanieves

On the Ice
I always have the irrational feeling that by watching a favorite, I will jinx her.

This is me. Having tried both ways, spoiling myself and watching live, bottom line is: it's always excruciating. I honestly don't understand how coaches can sit through competition after competition without going nuts. But, I'm biting the bullet and going to Nationals (Boston 2014) anyway 'cause I probably won't get another chance. I hope to survive. :laugh:

spikydurian

Medalist
I don't think you are a bad fan, skatingfan4ever because I am with you!:laugh:

It's easier to watch diving and gymnastics live and live through the stress since it's around or less than a minute each. But figure skating is different .... it's excruciating to sit through the program (esp. long) watching the skater disply his/her skills one after the other, hoping there are no errors, and knowing that's really no much you can do to assist. I do find ice dancing less stressful to watch because there are no throws and jumps.

jennyanydots

On the Ice
I hate suspense so I'm with you on that. I almost always read the end of novels first, so yeah. I'm totally dependent on YouTube and live streaming doesn't really work for me so I always know the results first anyway. I usually watch the videos in reverse order of placement unless I'm just dying to see what my favorites did.

Mirunna

Record Breaker
I completely agree with all of you. I would much rather now the results and then watch it and enjoy. The only one who made it more exciting live, for me was watching Plushenko (most of the times). You just knew he is going to skate well. Good old times:biggrin:
The only time I enjoyed Mao live was when I knew absolutely nothing about her (2007 Worlds LP) and couldn't care less, after my dear Carolina skated badly and after "the amazingly talented South Korean whom I really loved a day before" also made 2 big mistakes. But after that it became next to impossible watching her go for the 3A with slight chances of landing it.
"Traumatizing memories" of my favorite skaters watching them live: S/S 2009 TEB LP (that was painful), Carolina 2009 Worlds and 2010 Vancouver (I actually left the living room, I couldn't take it anymore), Mao Worlds 2012, Mao's fall in 2008(I think my heart stoped for a bit when she hit those boards), Daisuke 2011 Worlds LP, Oda 2010 SP, S/S 2012 worlds LP(I know it wasn't bad, but they were off from the start, messed up a bit both spins, finished before the music, they were so visibly nervous I instantly got a headache :laugh: )
I remember waking up when S/S skated their LP in Vancouver, my mother was watching and I heard the music playing I was almost shaking but I didn't had the courage to go see them until after the end. I did well. After their chances of gold were completely gone, I could enjoy both P/T and S/Z, who skated wonderfully. In the night with the men's LP I could barely sleep but didn't turn on the tv. I waked up early to go check the results, the anxiety was worse than the one I feel before an exam and when I saw Plushy second the ceiling collapsed on me. It took me months to watch his performance.
I do think we get too involved. On one hand, I can't wait for my favorite skaters to retire so I can stop getting so nervous watching the competitions live but I will probably find other ones to cheer for and the vicious circle will begin again

Do you know how long it took me to rewatch Michelle's Lyra Angelica from Nagano? And believe it or not, I don't think I've ever rewatched Tara's program, to some music I can't recall. (No fault of Tara's. She was only doing what she was supposed to do--skate like there was no tomorrow and try for gold.)

In fact, I never rewatched any of Michelle's Lyra programs until a few years ago, but finally I watched Nationals, and now it's one of my go-to programs for lifting my spirits.

But, like you, once my favorite retired, I found other skaters to get anxious about. Really, I should take up yoga and meditation.

bebevia

On the Ice
I grew up with no TV, so just watching was lucky for me - giving me no room for nerves of watching. Then, now I have more access to it (via friends'), ironically I rarely watch lives and got away with it, thanks to the internet.

Live-spectator experience usually gives me a bad fatigue, indigestion, hard muscle pains, etc. at the end of the day. I keep it less nervous by reading up on reviews of the programs, and try to imagine the visuals beforehand - that way, I'm more immune with recordings.

Except for the sickness, I decided to consider my nerves thankful, because my body's ready to respond with more excitement, emotion, and appreciate tiny details of the programs (maybe... right?). Little unfortunate that I don't get the first-hand experience and be excited with others.

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
I also prefer to know the results. If I know someone has done well, I can relax and watch him or her. I had a lot of trouble with Vancouver! When I watched YuNa, knowing the pressure that was on her from the entire country of South Korea, I could barely sit still. (I always have the irrational feeling that by watching a favorite, I will jinx her. I should realize I'm not that important in the scheme of things, but keep in mind that my two favorite singles skaters are Michelle Kwan and Kurt Browning....) After Kim's short program I felt better. The beginning of the long program, when she gave that smile and got to work, I began to hope that this was the skater who couldn't be jinxed. But I'd have enjoyed the whole two programs a lot more if I'd known ahead of time that she was unbeatable. I'd have enjoyed Mao's a lot more, too, without dreading her triple axels. Her three triple axels, all landed, bless her skates. And then there was the moment that Shen almost skidded off Zhao's shoulders on that lift in the long program! My heart almost rolled right out of my body.

Sochi is going to be a lot easier for me, I think. I'm sorry for Russians, though. Any of them who feel the way we do will be nervous wrecks for two weeks.

I hate suspense so I'm with you on that. I almost always read the end of novels first, so yeah. I'm totally dependent on YouTube and live streaming doesn't really work for me so I always know the results first anyway. I usually watch the videos in reverse order of placement unless I'm just dying to see what my favorites did.

I completely agree with all of you. I would much rather now the results and then watch it and enjoy. The only one who made it more exciting live, for me was watching Plushenko (most of the times). You just knew he is going to skate well. Good old times:biggrin:
The only time I enjoyed Mao live was when I knew absolutely nothing about her (2007 Worlds LP) and couldn't care less, after my dear Carolina skated badly and after "the amazingly talented South Korean whom I really loved a day before" also made 2 big mistakes. But after that it became next to impossible watching her go for the 3A with slight chances of landing it.
"Traumatizing memories" of my favorite skaters watching them live: S/S 2009 TEB LP (that was painful), Carolina 2009 Worlds and 2010 Vancouver (I actually left the living room, I couldn't take it anymore), Mao Worlds 2012, Mao's fall in 2008(I think my heart stoped for a bit when she hit those boards), Daisuke 2011 Worlds LP, Oda 2010 SP, S/S 2012 worlds LP(I know it wasn't bad, but they were off from the start, messed up a bit both spins, finished before the music, they were so visibly nervous I instantly got a headache :laugh: )
I remember waking up when S/S skated their LP in Vancouver, my mother was watching and I heard the music playing I was almost shaking but I didn't had the courage to go see them until after the end. I did well. After their chances of gold were completely gone, I could enjoy both P/T and S/Z, who skated wonderfully. In the night with the men's LP I could barely sleep but didn't turn on the tv. I waked up early to go check the results, the anxiety was worse than the one I feel before an exam and when I saw Plushy second the ceiling collapsed on me. It took me months to watch his performance.
I do think we get too involved. On one hand, I can't wait for my favorite skaters to retire so I can stop getting so nervous watching the competitions live but I will probably find other ones to cheer for and the vicious circle will begin again
Oh my heavens, thank you all! I was afraid I was the only one who didn't like suspense. I agree with several of you about the jinxing by watching thing. jennyanydots - I am with you on skipping ahead to the end of books. It's like I have to know if my favorite character(s) will be okay. I wish real life had that option sometimes. Mirunna - You bring up a good point about always ending up with new favorites. After Michelle pulled out of Torino, I thought I'd be able to watch the Olympics in peace. Wrong! I was nervous for Sasha in 2006, and then when Sasha was gone, I became nervous for several other skaters. Who knows which skaters I'll be nervous for in 2018. It's a never-ending cycle. Olympia - With the time difference, Sochi should be easier for me too.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Yes, I am with you all who like to self-spoil. I like to relax and enjoy watching it without concern how it ends.
Oh dear, when I saw the title of this thread, I read "self-soil". Yoicks!

skatingfan4ever

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yes, I am with you all who like to self-spoil. I like to relax and enjoy watching it without concern how it ends.
:rofl:So sorry for the fright I gave you, Scrufflet!

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
While I don't get that nervous, I sometimes can't resist looking for the live results of a competition online, even before I've watched it. I too still enjoy the competitions even when I know the results.

Rachmaninoff

Final Flight

Hahaha, so I'm not the only one.

Yeah, I read results ahead of time if available. I'm too curious not to.

Lota

Record Breaker
Oh, I get so nervous watching the competitions live... So I'm all for self-spoiling. Of course, if I have the chance to watch the competition live, I will, but I know it's gonna cost me a lot of nerves in the end. I get so excited that I start frantically jumping up and down (literally), the people in the flat below mine are not amused :laugh: well, the jumping part concerns all the sports I watch.

But yeah, seeing my favourites perform live is really nerve-racking, so much so that sometimes I also switch the channel for a while or turn away. And even when the others are skating, it's not like I really dislike any skaters, so when I see someone fall I always flinch. I mean, they try their best and work hard all year, all of them deserve to skate to the best of their abilities, so when they fail it's always hearbreaking, especially if it's a favourite. Sooo... if there's a way to save myself the nerves and find out the results earlier — I'm in. Then at least if I know a skater skated badly, I can save myself from the excruciating experience of watching it.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I get very nervous too, I can't watch the TV many times. My heart beats strongly...

KitChase

Match Penalty
Lmao !!!

LOL
Self soil ??
What would that even mean ??
hahaha
Count one more in the house for self spoilers !!!
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Scrufflet

Final Flight
Okay, I'm still seeing self-soil so I guess I should clarify, especially for KitChase! And I know this could go in several directions but I prefer to think of it as food you dump on yourself when you get excited watching figure skating. In my case it's wine (red and white) or chocolate (and that could be on it's own or in an ice cream bar).
:)