Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious | Page 21 | Golden Skate

Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

splatgoesthequad

Match Penalty
Except that Max is actually out there and competing, automatically making it more believable for him to go to Sochi than Lysacek, who we haven't seen in FOUR YEARS.

And seriously - who else would you put on there? Abbott can't be trusted. I'd like to believe Rippon's changed his ways, but I'm wary. Brown and Farris are young, so young...

Max can't land a quad to save himself. The kid has been a zamboni in every GP event. Jeremy is at least able to put a program on the ice that is complete. He has the artistry and the technique to win. Max has neither. Unless you're like the judges and giving sympathy points for his pathetic interpretation of Evan Lysacek programs. Apparently Lori Nichol doesn't even think Max can do well with anything new she creates, so she's got him imitating an "idol" of his.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Sasha got a bye to Nationals since she was a medalist a the previous Olympics. Had she finished top 2 she would have had to be sent to Four Continents or another event to get the minimum qualifying TES for the Olympics. It is pretty ridiculous to realize but according to some people I have spoken to they were even considering putting her on the team after her 4th place finish, and it was the reason for the very long meeting and delayed announcement of the team.

There was no minimum qualifying TES for the 2010 Olympics.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Sasha got a bye to Nationals since she was a medalist a the previous Olympics. Had she finished top 2 she would have had to be sent to Four Continents or another event to get the minimum qualifying TES for the Olympics. It is pretty ridiculous to realize but according to some people I have spoken to they were even considering putting her on the team after her 4th place finish, and it was the reason for the very long meeting and delayed announcement of the team.

Seriously?? I assume in place of Mirai who nailed seven triples (yeah yeah the "downgrades" which only the caller saw). There was no way Sasha deserved a place on the Olympic team. You'd think even Mr.Nicks would say so. And why Sasha who placed 4th instead of Ashley in 3rd. I still love Ashley's B-face when she realized Mirai just edged her out by a tiny margin. I can only imagine what Ashley would have done if they went below her and picked Sasha for the team....

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max can't land a quad to save himself. The kid has been a zamboni in every GP event. Jeremy is at least able to put a program on the ice that is complete. He has the artistry and the technique to win. Max has neither. Unless you're like the judges and giving sympathy points for his pathetic interpretation of Evan Lysacek programs. Apparently Lori Nichol doesn't even think Max can do well with anything new she creates, so she's got him imitating an "idol" of his.

Ah. I see. Butthurt Abbott fan who still can't handle that Abbott choked at Nationals and Max nailed it. Got ya.

splatgoesthequad

Match Penalty
With the Olympics before us, we do not have time to deal with high maintenance posters.

Keeping a thread on topic is the job of a moderator. If you have that power, then do your job. This is a thread dealing with Evan Lysacek. If you can't handle the job of moderator with the Olympics coming, then maybe it's time to pass the job to someone with the capacity to do so.

seniorita

Record Breaker
There is only so much to say on this thread for Lysacek since he hasnt come back yet and there are no news. Once he comes back we can make a new brand thread to celebrate and comment.:hb:
:)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I think there is much worthy criticism of Evan dragging this one out, some saying he's just doing it for sponsorship $$$$. But seriously, do you not think whatever/whoever is sponsoring him with $$$ does not know the real deal? They are probably just milking this out as much as they can with Evan as long as they possibly can. I still bet you we will see USN commercials with Evan in them, and a day or so before the SP he will pull out.(Not unlike Kwan in 2006 when all the sponsors wanted was her in Torino, even if she w/d. You think anyone cares about these athletes AFTER the Games? The money is in the leadup.) USFS will love it, like all the Skate Americas that had Evan's visage on the promotional material because maybe he increased some interest, only for him to 'surprisingly' pull out due to injury or whatever (Wasn't there an issue with USFS? Maybe he wanted an appearance fee for SA but USFS said HTTN). I'm not really sure how much interest, but hey something is better than nothing.

Another poster said as if it cleared the matter up, "Why would Evan, spend $$ on new programs and train if he wasn't serious??". I have a better one for you. "If Evan is trying to sell his persona to sponsors as still an Olympic contender, how could he NOT spend money on new programs and Frank and at least attempt to train??" If he didn't at least make it appear he was gunning for it, why would sponsors pick him up? His personality was well, nonexistent. All he had for sponsors was defending Olympic champ looking to defend his title.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I think there is much worthy criticism of Evan dragging this one out, some saying he's just doing it for sponsorship $$$$. But seriously, do you not think whatever/whoever is sponsoring him with $$$ does not know the real deal? They are probably just milking this out as much as they can with Evan as long as they possibly can. I still bet you we will see USN commercials with Evan in them, and a day or so before the SP he will pull out.(Not unlike Kwan in 2006 when all the sponsors wanted was her in Torino, even if she w/d. You think anyone cares about these athletes AFTER the Games? The money is in the leadup.) USFS will love it, like all the Skate Americas that had Evan's visage on the promotional material because maybe he increased some interest, only for him to 'surprisingly' pull out due to injury or whatever (Wasn't there an issue with USFS? Maybe he wanted an appearance fee for SA but USFS said HTTN). I'm not really sure how much interest, but hey something is better than nothing.

Another poster said as if it cleared the matter up, "Why would Evan, spend $$ on new programs and train if he wasn't serious??". I have a better one for you. "If Evan is trying to sell his persona to sponsors as still an Olympic contender, how could he NOT spend money on new programs and Frank and at least attempt to train??" If he didn't at least make it appear he was gunning for it, why would sponsors pick him up? His personality was well, nonexistent. All he had for sponsors was defending Olympic champ looking to defend his title.

First of all, this thread has gone far too long with dragging out stuff that is a bunch of irrelevant blabber by nobodies who have no clue what is going on and live by knocking down great people who have wonderful personalities (again you don't know him personally, so you have no clue), and those who have also earned their dues. I find you calling out another poster interesting because you make it sound like your explanation makes any more sense than theirs. They were more on track with the way things are than you FWIW. You obviously don't know the way that Frank Carroll works; he was not going to take on Evan for the fun of it. He wasn't going to put himself out there if he knew Evan didn't have intentions and neither was Evan for that matter.

As far as saying all that Evan has to offer to his sponsors is OGM defending his title. Okay...well that's a lot more than many other skaters are giving sponsors. Many other former gold medalists are still landing sponsorships years later and what do they have to offer other than an OGM how ever many years later.

As far as everyone else who is anti-Evan and commenting on this thread is concerned. Stop blaming the guy for things that have been out of his hands for 4 years. Yes, he took a break for a bit, then he had all intentions of coming back, he was training his tail off and the USFS had to be jerks about it. So when he finally went through 2 agents to get his current one, he gets injured and he HAD to have surgery and it was much more extensive than they care or need to share with you. This season, again he was training since Feb/March of this year for his comeback for Olympic season. Was told of his labral tear not long before the Media Summit. He's been back on the ice training again since late Oct (again something they didn't need to share with you, but they did). He is trying, he is a good person and has intentions. Stop bad mouthing him. I'm sick of it. Everyone who calls out pretty much any other skater on this forum gets snapped at or their wrists slapped but it's open season on Evan bashing and I'm sick and tired of it. His coaching staff, teammates, family and friends, as well as sponsors and supporters are behind him.
I understand a friendly discussion or debate but this has gotten beyond ridiculous.
It needs to stop.

sweetskates1

Medalist
IcyEdges seems to know a lot more about the situation than I do - I hope he as right about Evan training and wanting to return because I am his fan!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But IcyEdges, you've missed the point. He's not going to Sochi. We know he's not unless he's suddenly going to magically pop up at this competition on December 10 and earn his TES. And when he doesn't have that TES before Nationals then I don't expect him to show up at Nationals.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
But Karne, who said he was going to a competition on Dec 10?! He's skating in a show the next day in NJ. No one ever said he was skating at a competition on the 10th. There is one later in the month, yes I know about this competition and you obviously don't. There's also another RIGHT before Nationals. I mean the least you could do is save face and do some research.

And by the way, how did I know that you would come crawling back to this thread with your Evan bashing as soon as I replied to it?! Wow magic!:sarcasm:

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Thank you, I didn't even think I was being Anti-Evan, just realistic. I would suppose Evan's sponsors know exactly what is going on. He might have the very best of intentions.

I do hope upon hope, that USFS will pull their head out of their rectal cavity and STOP with this 80s ice king and queen mentality. How embarrassed were they when Alissa Czisny was chosen for the coveted top two spots for Wordls12? I thought the judging was HORRENDOUS at the nationals. HORRENDOUS. And so as the ambassador of the US who was only given two spots to the Worlds, Alissa did not manage ONE (ONE!!!) clean jump in both her programs. This is one of the top two the USFS has to offer at the World Championships???? Alissa had TEN jump passes combined in her programs, and she was 0/10!!! I know Alissa graduated from college, so I wonder how she'd feel if she got a 0% on a final exam, not because she didn't show up, but because she DID and couldn't do it.

And yeah yeah, "Icy", the only thing that impressed me about Evan was his work ethic. I root for those athletes. And he lays it down when he needs to. I wasn't a fan, but I did respect his commitment. I'm not a hater, puhleaze.