Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is no reason if Aaron can get that second mark up he can't challenge someone like Kevin Reynolds also. Max has quads just like Kevin but he skates with much greater speed and bigger jumps. He just needs to learn how to really perform and be more artistic. Let's face it Kevin's jumps are not huge and his skating skills and speed are lacking compared to the top men.

ForeverFish

Medalist
And isn't Max planning two quads in the SP, and 2-3 in the FS? Let's face it -- if he's clean (and why wouldn't he be? The guy's stamina is just incredible), his TES will be one of the highest in the world.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
The 2012-13 season was Aaron´s first in senior skating. And he did not stand on the podium at 2013 Four Continents and Worlds. What he lacks for the next season is reputation. In that sense skaters like Joubert, Amodio and perhaps Brezina are ahead of him.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
The 2012-13 season was Aaron´s first in senior skating. And he did not stand on the podium at 2013 Four Continents and Worlds. What he lacks for the next season is reputation. In that sense skaters like Joubert, Amodio and perhaps Brezina are ahead of him.

One can argue that his reputation is steadily increasing going into the Olympic season, while that of the three other skaters have been declining over the past few years.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I don't think Joubert skated well in 2013 worlds. A jump was invalidated, he did a 4t<+1t, I think he tripled a planned quad salchow. Tech was 65. It was all messed up! He didn't fall but didn't do well. It was like a 6.0 did well.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have watched men´s Olympic skating starting in 1976 and with a quick glance it seems to me, that:

- all gold medalists have been on the Worlds podium earlier
- all silver medalists have been on the Worlds podium earlier (except Wylie who had competed in several Worlds and gotten the needed reputation from them)

From the 10 bronze medalists:

Cranston on the WC podium before OG
Tickner on the WC podium before OG
Sabovcik
Petrenko
Barna
Candeloro
Candeloro (OG bronze and on the WC podium before this second bronze medal)
Goebel
Buttle on the WC podium before OG
Takahashi on the WC podium before OG

five of them - Sabovcik, Petrenko, Barna, Goebel and Candeloro (before his first bronze) - had competed in several Worlds events. All (except Goebel of course) have competed at several Europeans and stood on the podium there.

Well, figure skating is pretty much about reputation and in that sense Aaron´s chances of any medal do not seem very likely, in my opinion. Unless of course if he wins both 2014 Four Continents and 2013-2014 season´s GPF.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

One can argue that his reputation is steadily increasing going into the Olympic season, while that of the three other skaters have been declining over the past few years.

2011-2012 was Aaron's first season as a senior. 2013 was the first year that he competed at Four Continents and Worlds.

Aaron's international resume is relatively short, but I believe that he will capitalize on his momentum from last season and continue to work his way up the ranks one competition at a time.
:yay: :popcorn:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Is Max clearly ahead of Verner, Joubert, Brezina and Amodio?

Clearly ahead of Verner. Joubert, Brezina and Amodio can certainly put up high numbers (like at Euros 2013), and get higher PCS scores, so I wouldn't say he's CLEARLY ahead of them.

Bear in mind that Joubert and Brezina were both beating Aaron after the Worlds SP, and Amodio would have also been if not for his final spin.

Aaron also skated a very good FS (kudos, being one of the only men to have one)... while Joubert, Brezina and Amodio had particularly bad freeskates.

I really think we need to see Aaron on the GP before we can say he's ahead of perennial favourites like Brezina and Amodio.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have watched men´s Olympic skating starting in 1976 and with a quick glance it seems to me, that:

- all silver medalists have been on the Worlds podium earlier (except Wylie who had competed in several Worlds and gotten the needed reputation from them)

From the 10 bronze medalists:

Cranston on the WC podium before OG
Tickner on the WC podium before OG
Sabovcik
Petrenko
Barna
Candeloro
Candeloro (OG bronze and on the WC podium before this second bronze medal)
Goebel
Buttle on the WC podium before OG
Takahashi on the WC podium before OG

five of them - Sabovcik, Petrenko, Barna, Goebel and Candeloro (before his first bronze) - had competed in several Worlds events. All (except Goebel of course) have competed at several Europeans and stood on the podium there.

Well, figure skating is pretty much about reputation and in that sense Aaron´s chances of any medal do not seem very likely, in my opinion. Unless of course if he wins both 2014 Four Continents and 2013-2014 season´s GPF.

No chance of that since Aaron won't be at Four Continents unless he doesn't make the Olympic team which means he won't have to worry about reputation since he won't be at either the Olympics or Worlds most likely..

LRK

Record Breaker

Out of curiosity, of the current candidates - those currently skating and trying for an Olympic spot, whether they make it or not - who would this include?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Out of curiosity, of the current candidates - those currently skating and trying for an Olympic spot, whether they make it or not - who would this include?

Which countries do you mean? Generally I would say that look at the results from Worlds 2010-2013

gmyers

Record Breaker
I believe what happened with ten at this years worlds can happen at the Olympics with Aaron or with anyone.

mskater93

Record Breaker
If we are talking US Men:
Aaron
Miner
Abbott
Farris
Brown
Lysacek
Rippon
Razanno
Hochstein

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I believe what happened with ten at this years worlds can happen at the Olympics with Aaron or with anyone.

:agree: :yes: :popcorn:

If we are talking US Men:
Aaron
Miner
Abbott
Farris
Brown
Lysacek
Rippon
Razanno
Hochstein

Sorry, I didn't understand LRK's question above. What are the criteria for inclusion on this list? Wondering whether Dornbush belongs on it too, for example.

SkateFan66

On the Ice
:agree: :yes: :popcorn:

Sorry, I didn't understand LRK's question above. What are the criteria for inclusion on this list? Wondering whether Dornbush belongs on it too, for example.

LRK was asking which skaters, among the skaters competing for an Olympic spot, had previously been a medalist at Worlds.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Well, yeah, that's the "ice is slippery" argument though. Ten skated very well, but he was also very fortunate that the favourites bombed. Also, Ten is a more experienced skater and been on the senior stage much longer than Aaron.

One advantage he does have is that the Olympics tends to reward the "cleanest" skaters and Aaron hasn't fallen much or made too many visible errors. Adding another quad will be interesting because he'll probably need it, but it does marginalize how clean he can be.

Any vids of Lysacek or any idea of what he's training like?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
LRK was asking which skaters, among the skaters competing for an Olympic spot, had previously been a medalist at Worlds.

Well, mskater93 obviously is answering a different question, although I do not know what exactly it is. :confused2:
Some guys on her/his list have not been World medalists -- even if you count Junior World medalists.

(LRK: BTW, did you intend to include Junior Worlds??)

SkateFan66

On the Ice

Joubert, Kozuka, Takahashi, Gachinski, Lysacek, Plushenko, Hanyu, Chan, Fernandez, Ten, Weir

SkateFan66

On the Ice
Well, mskater93 obviously is answering a different question, although I do not know what exactly it is. :confused2:
Some guys on her/his list have not been World medalists -- even if you count Junior World medalists.

(LRK: BTW, did you intend to include Junior Worlds??)

Jaana had stated that since 1976, all Olympic gold & silver medalist, except for Wylie, had previously been a world medalist. LRK, then asked Jaana, who of the current competitors, would this include.