Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
[SUP][/SUP]In men's it is particularly difficult. It's remarkable Plushenko was able to regain his technical ability but in 2010 he was also helped by the field being technically subpar... and still lost to a guy with no quad. He's got more of a killer instinct and drive than any other skater, certainly more than Lysacek. But Lysacek's injury held him back and there was no point competing if he felt unable to. As much as some call it attention seeking only to pull out because he thought he might lose (which is perhaps why Plu skipped Euros), there is also the possibility that he was legitimately injured.

moviechick

On the Ice
Being quad less this Olympic cycle was a death sentence. The writing was on the wall for Lysacek even if he hadn't been injured.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Being quad less this Olympic cycle was a death sentence. The writing was on the wall for Lysacek even if he hadn't been injured.

It wasn't for Jason Brown, but obviously that's a special case. Takahashi is also an exception, who still occasionally placed high even when his quad failed him.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Speaking of Evan

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/03/evan-lysacek-figure-skating-training-olympics/

WASHINGTON — 2010 Olympic figure skating champion Evan Lysacek is pain free for the first time since August and has been doing jumps, including triples, in training the last four weeks.

“Whatever capacity I’m skating at, I don’t really know right now, but it’s nice to be back,” Lysacek said at the Best of U.S. Awards on Wednesday.

Lysacek, 28, missed the Sochi Olympics with a torn labrum in his left hip first suffered in August. He officially gave up his bid for Sochi on Dec. 10, saying a doctor told him he risked permanent damage if he continued to train at that point.

The injury is healed now, but Lysacek isn’t ready to say if or when he will return to competition after spending 14 weeks off the ice.

“Definitely a little premature for that,” he said. “But I’m back on the ice, looking at doing some shows and dipping my toes back in the water.”

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Good for him. Hopefully he'll at least be able to perform, if not compete. It's a long shot to ever compete again, and he's dragging it out, but when you're the most recent men's OGM it's hardly unexpected for news sources to not write articles about your recovery. I don't think any of us are holding out on him, but if he does compete again, I wish him well.

This event was the "Best of the U.S." Olympic awards, sponsored by the USOC. It was taped Wednesday and will be shown on NBC Sports Network next Monday, 7-8 U.S. Eastern time. There were four awards for Olympic athletes and four for Paralympions. Davis and White won best team. Michelle Kwan and Lysacek were presenters; Johnny and Tara worked the Red Carpet and backstage.

Kori Ade won a special "Building Dreams Award" for extraordinary dedication to supporting Olympic athletes. :rock:

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
It wasn't for Jason Brown, but obviously that's a special case. Takahashi is also an exception, who still occasionally placed high even when his quad failed him.

It depends what people mean by a 'death sentence'. You can still qualify at Nationals without a consistent one, but it's hard to get to the World podium without one. Perhaps that's what the person above meant. Neither Brown nor Takahashi got the Olympic or World podium this year.

BetsyK

Spectator
A torn labrum never heals on its own. (Google it read about it if you're not familiar with the injury.) Funny how the article says Evan's has healed. :popcorn:

Welcome, BetsyK. Thanks for joining us!

I think some minor tears can be treated without arthroscopic surgery, by physical therapy. From what I understand, the goal, with or without surgery, is to be able to live a normal life without pain. Returning to a vigorous, joint-pounding sport like figure skating -- to me, that would seem to be out of the question if the tear is severe.

Michelle Kwan wrote, about trying to skate with a similar injury, that strangely enough sometimes it was possible for her to go out on the ice and run through a full practice. It was afterward that that pain kept her up all night.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It depends what people mean by a 'death sentence'. You can still qualify at Nationals without a consistent one, but it's hard to get to the World podium without one. Perhaps that's what the person above meant. Neither Brown nor Takahashi got the Olympic or World podium this year.

True. Although Brown did get to compete in the Olympics and has a bronze from the team event, which is a great boost to start a hopefully illustrious career!

gettinglow

Match Penalty
Personally, I'm glad Evan didn't compete in Sochi. Sure, he's a good technical skater and obviously trains his butt off. However, has there ever been a men's skater who has looked as awkward/funky/silly without trying to? So you have shticky skaters like Phillipe Candeloro who are consciously putting on a corny performance, and it sort of works because you know that's his thing and he's working it. With Evan, he wasn't working on anything aside from being technically perfect but in the process of skating, all of his gestures, body language, high kicks, etc. just looked weird and, for a guy who is so intent on asserting his straightness, very, very gay. Now there's no value judgment there...it's just strange that he looked so much more effeminate and awkwardly packaged than pretty much all of his peers. I definitely did not miss sitting through an Evan Lysacek unintentionally awkward-looking skate. Those triple axels can only compensate for so much.

Matilda

Medalist
Those triple axels can only compensate for so much.

Not sure what you mean by his triple axels compensating for--because his triple axel technique is awful and I for one do not miss his triples axels at all. I am quite happy watching Yuzuru's and Han's triple axels instead, thank you very much! :)

gettinglow

Match Penalty
Not sure what you mean by his triple axels compensating for--because his triple axel technique is awful and I for one do not miss his triples axels at all. I am quite happy watching Yuzuru's and Han's triple axels instead, thank you very much! :)

I suppose in comparison with his PCS, the triple axels looked decent. But you're right...his technique on them wasn't great.