Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Lysacek's road to Sochi starts to get serious

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow. Fernandez is a fun skater with good tech, I'll give you that. Hanyu can barely get through a long program without dying at the end of it. Chan spends half his time wiping the floor with his backside. And Takahashi? When was the last time Takahashi went clean, or consistent, for a prolonged period? No thank you. I'll take Max Aaron any day. I don't want to see a field of clones. I want to see everyone's individual style. Sure, Max isn't the most "artistic" skater, he doesn't have the best edges or the deepest knees or the most wonderful musicality. But you know who he skates like? Max Aaron!

(And whether you like it or not, he IS the US National Champion. He DID finish 4th at Four Continents and he DID finish 7th at Worlds. In his first international championships. Whether you like it or not, he is a very good skater.)

This is total, utter RUBBISH. Max has plenty of chutzpah. He has great it quality, and his attitude is magnificent. Are you seriously going to tell a guy who came back from a broken back that he doesn't have chutzpah?

I don't know what's got your panties in a twist over him, but making up lies about Max is not making your argument look any better.

:clap:

time will tell folks. Max has only had one major year competing. he could win or bomb With more pressure on him we'll see what happens.

lavender

Record Breaker
I'm with you Skater Boy but Max seems to be the way skating is going so I say whatever. I prefer the complete package that has a quad or 2 and a nice triple axel.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Goodness we're getting testy here! :laugh: I agree that time and this Olympic season will help define who Max Aaron really is and if he can compete with the big boys.

Hanyu, Javi and Daisuke have already proven they're at the top of elite men's skating. Whether or not Max is there is still to be determined.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not like Javier was a great skater just a couple years ago. Until this year his best finish at Worlds was 9th. In fact it's only been the last two season's that Javier became a force back in the 2011 season he was pretty mediocre with his placements in international events. Max might not ever become a contender on the world stage but you never know.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Max does not have the chutzpah, the it quality, the attitude and character Elvis had. Elvis was Elvis - he was a personality on and off the ice.

And Max is Max. :yes: :cool:

I'll take Max Aaron any day. I don't want to see a field of clones. I want to see everyone's individual style. Sure, Max isn't the most "artistic" skater, he doesn't have the best edges or the deepest knees or the most wonderful musicality. But you know who he skates like? Max Aaron!

(And whether you like it or not, he IS the US National Champion. He DID finish 4th at Four Continents and he DID finish 7th at Worlds. In his first international championships. Whether you like it or not, he is a very good skater.)

.... Max has plenty of chutzpah. He has great it quality, and his attitude is magnificent. Are you seriously going to tell a guy who came back from a broken back that he doesn't have chutzpah?

Yes, the fearless Max absolutely personifies chutzpah, in the most positive sense of the word. (BTW, Happy New Year / L'Shana Tovah to the Aaron family and to all of our Jewish friends in the skating world. :))

Agree also that Max has a natural star quality, "it" factor, or whatever you want to call it. His personality shines off the ice, and felt magnetic during his exhibition program last season. I am curious to see whether his new SP and FS allow him to show more of it during competition this season.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
And Max is Max. :yes: :cool:

Yes, the fearless Max absolutely personifies chutzpah, in the most positive sense of the word. (BTW, Happy New Year / L'Shana Tovah to the Aaron family and to all of our Jewish friends in the skating world. :))

Agree also that Max has a natural star quality, "it" factor, or whatever you want to call it. His personality shines off the ice, and felt magnetic during his exhibition program last season. I am curious to see whether his new SP and FS allow him to show more of it during competition this season.

Well imho Max does not have the it factor but give him some time he looks more like an Elvis type but his personality on the ice is not so strong or organic but give him time. We'll see how h e fairs this year.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
I love what max brings to skating, and hes masculinity on ice is what makes him more awesome to watch, and he is just sooooo faaast its unreal... and fearless just look at his speed into those quads! Im sure he do really well this season as for Evan rumour has it that he is suddenly "injured" and wont be going to salt lake next week... what a suprise...not i dont see his come back happening

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Apologies again for my misleading reference earlier to four quads for Max Aaron this season (based on what Lynn Rutherford had reported from Champs Camp).

Aaron's ultimate plan for this season is five quads -- according to what Rutherford now says in her SLC preview (Sep 11):
As usual, the men's event revolves around quadruple jumps. Max Aaron plans three in his free to Bizet's Carmen: two Salchows and a toe loop.
"He's done about half-a-dozen clean longs, with three quads," said his coach, Tom Zakrajsek, at the end of August. "Lori [Nichol] choreographed the long for three quads. He's really going for it; he's not backing down."
Later this season, Aaron plans to add a quad toe to his short, choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo to a Latin selection. The program already features a quad Salchow combination.
"It's a fun piece of music. I picked it because I wanted something that would get the crowd involved," Aaron, 21, said. "[The choreography] is fun and unique for me. It shows I can do other things besides jump."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/11/60278732

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Apologies again for my misleading reference earlier to four quads for Max Aaron this season (based on what Lynn Rutherford had reported from Champs Camp).

Aaron's ultimate plan for this season is five quads -- according to what Rutherford now says in her SLC preview (Sep 11):
As usual, the men's event revolves around quadruple jumps. Max Aaron plans three in his free to Bizet's Carmen: two Salchows and a toe loop.
"He's done about half-a-dozen clean longs, with three quads," said his coach, Tom Zakrajsek, at the end of August. "Lori [Nichol] choreographed the long for three quads. He's really going for it; he's not backing down."
Later this season, Aaron plans to add a quad toe to his short, choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo to a Latin selection. The program already features a quad Salchow combination.
"It's a fun piece of music. I picked it because I wanted something that would get the crowd involved," Aaron, 21, said. "[The choreography] is fun and unique for me. It shows I can do other things besides jump."

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/11/60278732

What she said was that there was a planned layout of three quads in the long, with 4S in the latter half--and if done well, TES would be >100.

Very ambitious layout, but we've definitely seen him muscle out those quads before (but at the expense of his other jumps). The only other guys I can think of who is planning three quads (or has planned/done three quads (4T and 4S) in the past) are Javier Fenandez and Kevin Reynolds, neither of whom reached 100 in TES. It would be nice to see all three try over the course of this season though. It would certainly be something to behold!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
An attempt to clarify my post just above:

Soon after Champs Camp, Rutherford had reported on IN that Aaron was planning three quads for his FS + at least one for his SP = a total of at least four. I made note of that somewhat earlier in this thread, b/c it seemed a little different from from what Aaron had been saying previously -- without seeming to leave much wiggle room for himself -- about a total of five.

In today's IN article, Rutherford elaborated that the plan is for Aaron's SP this season to eventually have two quads, meaning that his total really would be five ... as Aaron led us to expect all along. All good. :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Very ambitious layout, but we've definitely seen him muscle out those quads before (but at the expense of his other jumps). The only other guys I can think of who is planning three quads (or has planned/done three quads (4T and 4S) in the past) are Javier Fenandez and Kevin Reynolds, neither of whom reached 100 in TES. It would be nice to see all three try over the course of this season though. It would certainly be something to behold!

100 is certainly possible for those guys... Fernandez certainly would have cleared 100 points of TES (he got 96.65) at Euros 2013 if he did his 3F instead of 2F and if he hadn't had the stumble on the exit of his 4S-3T. He could have also turned his 3S into a 3Z or 3F for a few more points. Reynolds would have cleared 100 points at Four Continents 2013, if he had done a 3S-3L-2L, instead of just a 3S-2L, and held positions in his final spin just a tad longer.

It's exciting though to see at least 3 men attempting 3 quads in their LP. I'm hoping Hanyu can get that pesky 4S more consistent and join them.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well imho Max does not have the it factor but give him some time he looks more like an Elvis type but his personality on the ice is not so strong or organic but give him time. We'll see how h e fairs this year.

He has a lot of personality on the ice. Elvis always struck me as kind of angry. Max seems the opposite.

gmyers

Record Breaker
He has a lot of personality on the ice. Elvis always struck me as kind of angry. Max seems the opposite.

Stojko was always extremely defensive because it he was always under a lot of attack. Skating establishment attacking and then just his past of dealing with sterotypes. Very defensive always. Aaron is not at That stage of success stojko was which caused huge backlash and really i dont think would be attacked like a stojko.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
100 is certainly possible for those guys... Fernandez certainly would have cleared 100 points of TES (he got 96.65) at Euros 2013 if he did his 3F instead of 2F and if he hadn't had the stumble on the exit of his 4S-3T. He could have also turned his 3S into a 3Z or 3F for a few more points. Reynolds would have cleared 100 points at Four Continents 2013, if he had done a 3S-3L-2L, instead of just a 3S-2L, and held positions in his final spin just a tad longer.

It's exciting though to see at least 3 men attempting 3 quads in their LP. I'm hoping Hanyu can get that pesky 4S more consistent and join them.

Kovtun is also going to try 3 quads in the long and 2 in the short according to articles from the Sochi test skates. Guess he really wants to be the Russian male who makes that Olympic squad.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

ucrgirl

On the Ice
From Hersh @olyphil tweets this morning:

Frank Carroll said @EvanLysacek return to practice uncertain and is completely in hands of Evan's doctors

Frank Carroll on Evan: "I'm a little worried because the clock is ticking. He has to go somewhere and do something to get qualifying score"

And he's done. If he wasn't so injured I would be curious to see what he could have done. Olympic podium possibly.

From Hersh @olyphil tweets this morning:

Frank Carroll said @EvanLysacek return to practice uncertain and is completely in hands of Evan's doctors

Frank Carroll on Evan: "I'm a little worried because the clock is ticking. He has to go somewhere and do something to get qualifying score"

This does not sound hopeful. It's hard for any champion athlete to give up, because athletes always believe in mind over matter. This is why so many of them in so many sports stay past their "expiration date." But if an athlete can't even move, then it's kind of imperative to stop. Still, there's always that teaspoon of possibility, which supplies the driving force, I guess.