Withdrawal Blues -anticipation already 2014! | Golden Skate

Withdrawal Blues -anticipation already 2014!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I just watched Akiko do an exhibition skate. Who will fill her place? I felt a pang for skaters we wont see again, after Sochi. Akiko is so special. But to have Kiira quit after missing so much, Mao, Caro. Yuna leaves after a handful of skates to retire again.

Who are you going to "feel" the most when they depart. Akiko moves me more than most, mistakes or perfect programs, her joy is so much like watching Kwan or Lynn. " Please stay________!" (Akiko) Fill in bLANK FOR SINGLE, PAIRS, ID SKATERs...WHO ever YOU CAN'T DO WITHOUT?

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I am hoping Mao, Yuna or Carolina wont compete
as we can finally get a new World Champion

rosewood

Spectator
Mao, Akiko, Miki, Daisuke, Nobunari and possibly Kanako retire and ISU is losing the world's biggest market at this point. You may say still Yuzuru and Fumie remain.:biggrin:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Meryl & Charlie and Tessa & Scott and Nathalie & Fabian :cry:
Sometimes they hint they are not retiring, but I don't believe it.

Also Plushy, but I still can't believe he's retiring.

Robin & Aliona!

hanca

Record Breaker
After the last Olympics there were not as many top skaters retiring as it will be after this ones. It will be sad to see them go, but within a year or two we will have new favourites to cheer for...it's part of life. Without those ones retiring, the young ones would not get their chance (judges sometimes give reputation points.)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kiira Korpi said in a recent interview that she planned to stay for one more season after Sochi.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's time for these skaters to retire. Some of them like Kostner, P&B and Takahashi will have been to 3 Olympics. Change is inevitable and their will be skaters who will come along with their own style and personalities. But the older skaters will need to step aside and let that happen.

gourry

Final Flight
Yuna, definitely.:cry:
Somehow I always felt Akiko is better as a show skater, so I think I'm okay her retiring from competition as long as she appears in shows.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Kiira Korpi said in a recent interview that she planned to stay for one more season after Sochi.

Probably hping to win a world medal. Without several top skaters she would have a decent chance especially since the Russia ladies look two years away before they would be ready to challenge. But ice is slippery.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Figure Skating won't be the same without Carolina Kostner and Akiko Suzuki.

To their fans for sure they will be missed. I am not sure though they had the impact on skating such as Bonaly, Slutskaya, Kwan, Baiul, Witt,Kerrigan, Arakawa, Kim, Asada, Cohen et al. Nice skaters but rather blah personalities and their skates while great hve not had the magic of a Kwan or inspiration even of a Hughes.

SaraM

Final Flight
Country
Norway
Mao, Akiko, Miki, Daisuke, Nobunari and possibly Kanako retire and ISU is losing the world's biggest market at this point. You may say still Yuzuru and Fumie remain.:biggrin:

why would kanako retire?? she only 18 and most unlikely to win the olympic gold medal this season

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would think kanako would stick around for a few more years if only because with Ando, Mao and Suzuki calling it quits the Japanese women will be weaker then any time in the last decade. I expect the US and Russian girls to take over.

ForeverFish

Medalist
^Yep. Kanako wants to have a good skate at the Olympics first, though. If not, she said she'll consider staying on a while longer. Arguably, she'll be in her prime during Sochi and for a few years after. Without her, Mao, and Akiko, it's true that Japan will have a very depleted ladies' field for the first time in a while.

The next quad will be bringing a lot of new faces to the front -- the four Russian girls, Kaetlyn, Zijun, and Gracie, plus Polina Edmunds and Karen Chen (provided they survive puberty with jumps intact). The US might even stand a chance in dominating in men's if Josh and Jason keep improving.

Confirmed retiring after Sochi: Yuna, Mao, Carolina, Akiko, Kanako (with conditions)
No confirmation, most likely retiring: D/W, V/M, V/T, S/S, Plushenko, Lysacek
No confirmation, most likely staying: Yuzuru, Ashley, Agnes, Christina G
No confirmation, period: Javier, Patrick, most of the men, Mirai
Confirmed staying: Denis, Josh, Jason, all of the newbies